Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir #48: Long Time Running

Emdee

I think it means she’s aware of comments that claim she is fake and inauthentic. I think that hurts her immensely. I think it means she wants to earn her opportunities. I think she has always had self image issues and she’s still battling. She’s a trooper. She tries to stay positive and tries to be thoughtful and is trying to learn how to be in the world. This of course is how I see her and am not judging anyone else’s thoughts.
I totally agree with your analysis.

Shayii

That article was pretty fascinating. I would imagine that intense perfectionism is actually a pretty common character trait amongst elite athletes. Figure skating would also especially attract perfectionists because it is a sport that deals in perfection.

I also do wonder if the training of elite athletes results in the encouragement and development of personality traits that can perhaps be unhelpful in real life outside of sports. I'm sure that pathological perfectionism is a great trait in a skater. It would have been praised in a lot of skaters from a very young age. When maybe in other circumstances if they weren't involved in a technical sport people would have encouraged them to relax instead.

I'm sure a lot of other skaters would have had similar stories from their childhoods to Tessa's hair story too. Gracie Gold also talked about being devastated at school if she made a mistake in her workbook.

Reading that article was a good reminder about how Olympic athletes can be a completely different kind of person to regular people.

Overall, this is a pretty common story for retired athletes. It would in no way be easy to have to retire from something you were the best in the world at and then try to find something else totally different to do. Particularly if the dominant part of your self-identity is being the best. I think plenty of athletes would identify with what Tessa is processing at the moment.

I would say that this whole situation is a work in progress for Tessa. As for stopping show skating, I would think it would be better to watch this space. Maybe with time, the idea of skating without being technically the best in the world mightn't seem such a big deal.
Based on the hair story she was like this from even an early age. So skating didn’t make her like this. If anything skating was her avenue to channel her compulsive perfectionism. I can’t pretend to know what’s going on in Tessa’s head but there’s an imbalance somewhere and pretending everything is fine isn’t gonna help.
Scott wasn't interviewed in the article I read https://thewalrus.ca/the-olympics-are-over-but-tessa-virtue-is-just-getting-started/.

So what are you referring to?
This is my quote. Scott has a paragraph in there. Also the author said on Twitter we’ll hear more from Scott’s perspective soon. She must have more lined up.

Emdee

I think the post Olympics Queens MBA support program for retiring athletes may be time barred so Tessa may need to take advantage of it now.

Besides they will have had 4 years of touring and performing two years after Sochi and two years now. I think it likely they will come together occasionally...Joanie still performs occasionally.

barbarafan

I think they mentioned that the training environment in Detroit with Marina and Davis/White was tense and unhappy in a way that it wasn't in Montreal even though they were also training with their competitors P/C. Guess it's just personal chemistry why they were able to train alongside P/C without the training environment getting uncomfortable?
Maybe....Marina said herself that she played them against each other. She said this in an interview.

wickedwitch

If she's a perfectionist, and she feels that she will never be as good at something as she is at skating (probably not inaccurate), then that must be completely terrifying. I genuinely hope she's talking with a psychiatrist.

Emdee

If she's a perfectionist, and she feels that she will never be as good at something as she is at skating (probably not inaccurate), then that must be completely terrifying. I genuinely hope she's talking with a psychiatrist.
Not necessarily...it requires coming to terms with your self. There is very good counselling available and that will help her reconcile her own reality.

Goody2shoes

https://thewalrus.ca/the-olympics-are-over-but-tessa-virtue-is-just-getting-started/ new article that I find bizzarre. Like tessa comes across weird I don’t know how to say it. It sounds like they’re not gonna be working together for very much longer too. But their tour is coming to the US so there’s that.
My take on this is that it's a human interest piece. Maybe for some, the written words sounded rather harsh. To me, it's just brutal honesty. Over the years, we've been treated to written pieces that are somewhat superficial. Nothing wrong with that. But it never really captures what truly goes behind these athletes' mind and personal struggles.

These hidden thoughts would be perceived as a negative, if exposed then (as we can already see from some of the initial responses to this). However, being close to what we can see as a step towards retirement, I think it does help to see that Tessa was given a sense of safe space to be honest with what she went through, how she felt at the time and what future she hopes to achieve. (No, the grape example doesn't give me vibes that she has an eating disorder. I took it as her random thought of how could this tiny act would contribute to being successful in the competitions.) We don't agonize on what we eat daily but athletes do. Just try to remember about past discussions and comments on her Twitter, people often accuse of her of being inauthentic and now that's she's being honest and vulnerable, how can we possibly treat her even worse? Does it make me less likely to admire Tessa? Far from it. Rather it humanizes her for being a normal, imperfect person.

The pending retirement would make anyone nervous since she's been living under the watchful eyes of judges and her fans. She had a glimpse and taste of it post Sochi. And yes, like any normal athlete, she probably experienced those exact feeling of low, rudderless and "what now" moment. She admitted out loud it and I'm OK with it.

Unlike us in our formidable teenage years, she might not had the time to even sit and think of who she really is. Sometimes I get the feeling that she needs to be assured that she is going in the right direction. She's choosing to champion meaningful causes, like women/kids for sports, stop sport abuse, etc. If it comes from her heart, she's taking baby steps towards making a bigger difference outside of the ice rink and skates.

I look forward to the author's human piece on Scott. Btw, Scott is entitled to like who ever he pleases and have relationships outside of the TessaScott bubble. Maybe the angst about that thought is what makes some annoyed about not seeing them together because it seems illogical for Scott to pick someone else, right? But again, we don't really know who Scott is and what kind of person he likes and going to commit to. Note: I don't even want to touch about that comment about him being with legally married GF. It's just...never mind...

Just let them be and allow them to breathe and figure out things on their own.

Last edited:

Scrufflet

https://thewalrus.ca/the-olympics-are-over-but-tessa-virtue-is-just-getting-started/ new article that I find bizzarre. Like tessa comes across weird I don’t know how to say it. It sounds like they’re not gonna be working together for very much longer too. But their tour is coming to the US so there’s that.
I don't think she came across weird at all, just real. We don't get to see these sides to our athletes very often but this writer did an excellent job of telling us what it was really like for them. I admire her even more for her qualities. I really wish her well in whatever she does.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
The Walrus article seems like a natural extension of the Tessa we saw on the reality series. Tessa comes across very poised, etc., but she has massive insecurities like many people and she came across as unsettlingly neurotic then. Now she's a more successful version of that. I think she has more cracks in her veneer than some other skaters who have the same kind of public persona. In a few years, she may not recognize the person this article is about.

As for their issues in Detroit vs. Montreal, I think it's been made clear the respective coaches were a factor in how much better things are handled in Gadbois, but that's just part of it. Tessa & Scott grew up in their old school, as did their closest competitors. Things shift big time as you come in to your own, even before adding who Marina favours more, etc. Plus, Igor leaving, Marina learning herself how to run a big skating school (I don't think she'd been on her own in such a big endeavor before?), etc. It doesn't all have to be nefarious, though that's A) more interesting :p and B) easier to assume. By the time they came back, they arrived at Gadbois as adults ready to work.

dramagrrl

B/K ended well, with both going on to satisfying marriages, careers and lives.
That is an extremely simplified take on it. First, their split was sudden and highly publicized in a negative way, with Shae-Lynn claiming to be blindsided by Victor's decision and both of them giving different takes on the story to the press. Victor got married, had kids, coached a bit at lower levels (is he still coaching, or just doing the skating skills for hockey players thing he was doing for awhile?), and generally seemed okay with flying under the radar. Shae-Lynn seemed to struggle for a long time - she tried to partner up with at least one other skater (Peter Tchernyshev) after Victor retired, and when that didn't work out, she decided to skate solo in shows for awhile. She also had a brief marriage to Morozov that ended in an apparently acrimonious divorce. It took her several years to establish her now shining career as a choreographer and her happy family life with her new husband and child. In those years when she was struggling, she and Victor both admitted that they didn't speak, and only really reconciled when they were inducted into the Skate Canada Hall of Fame in 2008. I would not want to see a similar situation happen to V&M.

manhn

People have midlife crises, people have empty nest syndrome, people don't know what to do when they get a big inheritance or lose the lottery. Not sure why this confused state of identity is deemed something only people in their 20s go through.

I am still figuring it out, and I'm in my 40s.

chantilly

I was bummed to read, she wasn’t at all into coaching. I’d love to see what she could do.
I’m pretty sure Scott will end up coaching, likely Gadbois to start.

It’s sad to think of not seeing them skate anymore in the future as I’m guessing from the article, Tessa doesn’t seem overly invested in for a future.

I’ll just miss her and what she could bring to the sport. But I respect it’s her Life.

Shayii

That is an extremely simplified take on it. First, their split was sudden and highly publicized in a negative way, with Shae-Lynn claiming to be blindsided by Victor's decision and both of them giving different takes on the story to the press. Victor got married, had kids, coached a bit at lower levels (is he still coaching, or just doing the skating skills for hockey players thing he was doing for awhile?), and generally seemed okay with flying under the radar. Shae-Lynn seemed to struggle for a long time - she tried to partner up with at least one other skater (Peter Tchernyshev) after Victor retired, and when that didn't work out, she decided to skate solo in shows for awhile. She also had a brief marriage to Morozov that ended in an apparently acrimonious divorce. It took her several years to establish her now shining career as a choreographer and her happy family life with her new husband and child. In those years when she was struggling, she and Victor both admitted that they didn't speak, and only really reconciled when they were inducted into the Skate Canada Hall of Fame in 2008. I would not want to see a similar situation happen to V&M.
I think this is what might happen. Scott has already peaced out of the limelight and Tessa wants to continue as an influencer.
People have midlife crises, people have empty nest syndrome, people don't know what to do when they get a big inheritance or lose the lottery. Not sure why this confused state of identity is deemed something only people in their 20s go through.

My commentary wasn’t about a confusion of identity though. It’s about her obsessive neurosis that she doesn’t seem to be self aware about. I used to think their reality show was bad editing that painted tessa a certain way but now I see that’s how she is.

Japanfan

My commentary wasn’t about a confusion of identity though. It’s about her obsessive neurosis that she doesn’t seem to be self aware about. I used to think their reality show was bad editing that painted tessa a certain way but now I see that’s how she is.

Even though Tessa mentions being 'obsessed' several times in the article, I wouldn't label her an 'obsessive neurotic' because it denotes a mental illness to me. I don't think she is mentally ill. She is a perfectionist and feels a need to stay busy. I think that is probably true of a lot of athletes.

I think she accurately summed up her state of mind in saying she believes there are few athletes who are well-balanced. But there is a substantial continuum between 'well-balanced' and 'obsessive neurotic'.

Last edited:

dramagrrl

I think this is what might happen. Scott has already peaced out of the limelight and Tessa wants to continue as an influencer.
I would be okay with that as long as their partnership (in whatever mode they choose to keep it - I'm sure they'll always do the odd charity appearance of whatever as "Virtue and Moir" even after they completely stop skating) and friendship doesn't have the same acrimonious "split" flavour that B&K's did, and that neither of them face the same kind of desperation Shae-Lynn seemed to be facing in the years when she was going through personal difficulties while also trying to re-define her career.

I also agree with the poster above who commented that the writer of the Walrus article seemed to be trying way too hard to put a "spin" on the piece, which seems even more true after reading her tweet about it. The words "grumbled" and "sniped" seemed very odd and off-base in the context which she used them.

Scrufflet

A little heavy on the diagnostic stuff here! She is a complex human being just like the rest of us and she will find her own path. I have faith in her to navigate the bumps in the road and to emerge. Wish her well as she goes on her way!

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins

This is mostly how I remember it as well, though I don't recall Shae-Lynn to have struggled so much. I thought she made the most of a situation she didn't expect, and got there relatively quickly. I didn't always get the sense they had an especially fantastic partnership while competing, beyond how honest they were about not being best-friends-forever as it was. I'd be more surprised if they kept in regular touch even if the ended on a better note.

But, jeez, I forgot all about the attempted partnership with Peter Tchernyshev. :shuffle:

I was bummed to read, she wasn’t at all into coaching. I’d love to see what she could do.

She hasn't really been without skating yet - she may come screaming back after missing it. I can see her taking on commentary one day wayyyy down the road, for one thing.

If I could like this post 10+ times, I would. This is bang on.

I also agree with the poster above who commented that the writer of the Walrus article seemed to be trying way too hard to put a "spin" on the piece, which seems even more true after reading her tweet about it. The words "grumbled" and "sniped" seemed very odd and off-base in the context which she used them.

(Bolding mine) Initially I thought the same, but I wondered if it was the writer's way of getting across the Tessa she'd gotten to know, versus the Tessa Virtue™ the public has watched. Illustrating she does have edge, or getting across brittleness-- I don't know, but by the end of the article I thought it made sense.

sharsk8s

I would love to see Tessa and Scott commentate or at least to small segments like they did at worlds 2016. I think it may be too soon now since many of the top teams are teams that v/m competed against or are close friends with which may make it kind of awkward. It would be really cool to see them commentate at the 2022 olympics.

canbelto

I wonder if Scott found the relentless branding of V/M post-Olympics overwhelming. I think the fact that they're always being asked to skate that Moulin Rouge program is telling. People want them to stay in that time capsule. Maybe that's why hes distancing himself. I could see why that'd be hurtful to Tessa. This is also based on nothing in particular but I always got the sense that Tessa and Scott in the two years at Gadbois maybe became a thing?

sap5

Scott wasn't interviewed in the article I read https://thewalrus.ca/the-olympics-are-over-but-tessa-virtue-is-just-getting-started/.

So what are you referring to?

He was interviewed for that article. The author said on Twitter he was extensively interviewed for it back in June, but she wasn’t able to get him for any follow ups.

This article makes me interested in that “Game Plan” initiative Canada has for its Olympic athletes, which is supposed to help athletes adjust to “real life” after an athletic career. How does that program work and how effective has it been?

sap5

I read the article again, and once I tried seeing past the author’s spin, I thought Tessa sounded quite normal. She’s just come off a time where she invested everything towards one specific goal, was successful at it, and got worldwide attention for it. Afterwards, she’s been keeping herself busy trying what has now become available to her. She feels unsettled but knows that she wants to move on from the career she’s always known (figure skating) into something new. She’s optimistic and believes she’ll be successful at whatever that “something new” is, but not because she thinks success will be handed to her, but because she’s willing to work for that success.

All of that sounds like a person who is going through a life change, like we all do at various times in life. It’s natural to feel unsettled, but she sounds like she’s approaching it positively to me.

puglover

I am intrigued about their decision to take the next tour into the U.S. They have their own big name/very successful skaters and dancers. Will T/S alter the name? Perhaps the idea is to go to smaller cities that don't get SOS as they did here and increase the opportunities for american skaters to tour.

cheremary

I am intrigued about their decision to take the next tour into the U.S. They have their own big name/very successful skaters and dancers. Will T/S alter the name? Perhaps the idea is to go to smaller cities that don't get SOS as they did here and increase the opportunities for american skaters to tour.

Have the tour locations and dates been announced yet? Where in the US are they expected to be? (Sorry if this has already been discussed in detail, I didn’t see anything going back a couple of pages and didn’t find much but the basics on google.)

kittysk8ts

Have the tour locations and dates been announced yet? Where in the US are they expected to be? (Sorry if this has already been discussed in detail, I didn’t see anything going back a couple of pages and didn’t find much but the basics on google.)
Nothing yet. They are just starting to plan the tour now.

Sonata

I read the article again, and once I tried seeing past the author’s spin, I thought Tessa sounded quite normal. She’s just come off a time where she invested everything towards one specific goal, was successful at it, and got worldwide attention for it. Afterwards, she’s been keeping herself busy trying what has now become available to her. She feels unsettled but knows that she wants to move on from the career she’s always known (figure skating) into something new. She’s optimistic and believes she’ll be successful at whatever that “something new” is, but not because she thinks success will be handed to her, but because she’s willing to work for that success.

All of that sounds like a person who is going through a life change, like we all do at various times in life. It’s natural to feel unsettled, but she sounds like she’s approaching it positively to me.

Completely agree. I think this is why the tone of this article irks me so much. It brings up a lot of events that relate to the period immediately post-Olympics, a particularly intense time for Virtue and Moir. I don't think it's fair to extrapolate so much. Furthermore, athletes do tend to be obsessive - to a certain extent, it's necessary to excel in their sport. They spend years practicing skills and commit themselves often full time in pursuit of the Olympics. This doesn't mean they have a mental illness. It's understandable that after reaching their goal, an athlete would have a difficult transition and try many things in order to find another outlet for their drive. At the same time, you have to accept that you likely will never be recognized as the being the best at something and that you will always be known for something you achieved in your youth, despite doing something completely different for the rest of your life. It sounds like Tessa does understand that and she is open about her vulnerabilities, instead of hiding her difficulties. This sounds really brave to me. In addition, she's decided to help others by committing herself to supporting women in sports, an area where, yes, she does have a lot of "credibility" ;)

Many of us on this thread have followed them for over 10 years. IMO, the way they approach the mental game has evolved immensely. It was obvious from the way they approached Pyeongchang that they worked hard on being positive instead of caving in to external pressure. This is what I see reflected in Tessa's comments expressing a sense of limitlessness and gratitude, which the author dismisses as "talking points".

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information