Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir #48: Long Time Running

Golden1

They didn’t announce any ice dancers. Are they not having any dancers this year?
I don't know. I just noticed that the announcement on the "Art on Ice" website sound pretty finale and it doesn't say that more skaters will follow. However, I would love it if Tessa and Scott were added to the show.

angi

I don't know. I just noticed that the announcement on the "Art on Ice" website sound pretty finale and it doesn't say that more skaters will follow. However, I would love it if Tessa and Scott were added to the show.
They only announced 4 skaters: Osmond, S/M, V/T, and Lambiel. They usually have more than that so I hope they will be added.

stephanie2006

Art on Ice always splits up the announcements, I'm sure a 2nd music act and more skaters will follow. It's about pushing ticket sales every few months I guess.
So still crossing fingers that Tessa & Scott will be in the cast! I talked to them about it at a Meet & Greet last May when nothing was fixed yet. I will go to the show anyway but with Tessa & Scott I would definitely buy more tickets!

manhn

I bought it. For Americans going to Skate Canada, stop by any large format bookstore, and get the book. There was a 25% discount off the cover price, so around $25 CDN. With the exchange rate, it's about $20USD.

The pictures are nice, and I like the expanded section. I would have liked more details. There is a section (I want to say after 17 Worlds) where they said that had a heated discussion with Marie-France and Patrice--what things they would have liked their coaches have done in Helsinki. They said it was very helpful. But I would have liked actual details--what did T&S want them to have done in Helsinki? And did they do those things in 17 GPF and/or 18 Olympics?

Judy

I bought it. For Americans going to Skate Canada, stop by any large format bookstore, and get the book. There was a 25% discount off the cover price, so around $25 CDN. With the exchange rate, it's about $20USD.

The pictures are nice, and I like the expanded section. I would have liked more details. There is a section (I want to say after 17 Worlds) where they said that had a heated discussion with Marie-France and Patrice--what things they would have liked their coaches have done in Helsinki. They said it was very helpful. But I would have liked actual details--what did T&S want them to have done in Helsinki? And did they do those things in 17 GPF and/or 18 Olympics?

I agree - what’s the point if they don’t tell us what it was about.

I didn’t buy the book and likely won’t.

stephanie2006

I was thrilled to see the book displayed in the window of Indigo in Vancouver on October 1st, the only book there together with the one from Reese Witherspoon. The text is well written, of course when you follow all interviews anyway there isn't much news. I really like the selection of pictures from the Olympic season, there are many of my favourite pictures taken by Danielle Earl and Greg Kolz in the new chapters.

manhn

That is where I bought the book. At the Indigo, but in West Vancouver. Not sure if there is an Indigo in Montreal, though.

Sonata

I have the new version, and read a friend's old version years ago :) I found the section on their childhood enlightening - it really opens yours eyes as to what goes into developing young talent and how much commitment is required not only from the athlete, but from their family. The photos of them and their siblings as kids are endearing. They were very lucky to be paired with one another and have families that were on the same page.

Regarding the new section, I had no idea Scott had gone through so much in his personal life during the first year of their comeback. Kudos to him for making it through. It's true that I would have liked to have read more details about their process and their programs. Their own critical comments about the choreography of Carmen and Seasons were spot on - here I was thinking why doesn't anybody advise them on this, when they knew all along - but looks like they were hitting a wall with their team at the time. And so I would have loved to read more about their relationship with their current team. But this is basically a thick coffee book. A very well written one, though. Lots of respect for Steve Milton.

There are definitely Indigo locations in Montreal and I think there is one in Laval as well.

Yes, there is one downtown. Its claim to fame is that it's the only Indigo with a non Starbucks coffee shop in Canada.

dramagrrl

Yes, there is one downtown. Its claim to fame is that it's the only Indigo with a non Starbucks coffee shop in Canada.

I remember before Indigo bought out Chapters that Indigo had their own "Indigo Cafés" and only Chapters had the integrated Starbucks'. I wonder why the downtown Montreal one doesn't have one. It can't be because of French language issues (needing everything to be both in French and English) because I'm pretty sure there are other locations of Starbucks in Montreal?

barbarafan

I remember before Indigo bought out Chapters that Indigo had their own "Indigo Cafés" and only Chapters had the integrated Starbucks'. I wonder why the downtown Montreal one doesn't have one. It can't be because of French language issues (needing everything to be both in French and English) because I'm pretty sure there are other locations of Starbucks in Montreal?

There are loads of Tims, Starbucks and several Copper Branch.

There is a chapters/Indigo in Pointe Claire, West island as well.

Sonata

I believe the downtown Indigo has the only remaining Indigo Café in Canada, and it stayed there even after the Chapters with the Starbucks further down the street closed. I'm not sure why Indigo Café still there. It's ridiculously overpriced and not as nice as the one they had before.

On a related note, V/M's publishers must have moved up the release date, which I thought was October 2. I was surprised to walk into Indigo the weekend prior and see multiple copies of their book being promoted at the entrance.

dramagrrl

On a related note, V/M's publishers must have moved up the release date, which I thought was October 2. I was surprised to walk into Indigo the weekend prior and see multiple copies of their book being promoted at the entrance.
Sometimes bookstores put books out on display as soon as they get their shipments in, which is often prior to the official release date. Some publishers don't like when that is done, but others don't care as long as the book sells.

puglover

Interesting that when Scott wondered aloud to Patrice Lauzon what it might be like to train at their school in Montreal: "And Patch said "Oh, I think Tessa wants to do it, I just don't know if you have it in you". Scott refers to it as a "startling answer that shocked him....." They share their thoughts on the move to train in Montreal as "If they had said no"....Tessa begins and Scott finishes "that would have been the end of it". (referring to Marie- France and Patrice)

Last edited:

Sonata

Sometimes bookstores put books out on display as soon as they get their shipments in, which is often prior to the official release date. Some publishers don't like when that is done, but others don't care as long as the book sells.

Interesting! I had no idea. Maybe Indigo is full of V/M ubers? :D

Interesting that when Scott wondered aloud to Patrice Lauzon what it might be like to train at their school in Montreal: "And Patch said "Oh, I think Tessa wants to do, I just don't know if you have it in you". Scott refers to it as a "startling answer that shocked him....." They share their thoughts on the move to train in Montreal as "If they had said no"....Tessa begins and Scott finishes "that would have been the end of it". (referring to Marie- France and Patrice)

These are the kinds of details I love reading about. Patrice comes off as the laid-back, non confrontational half, and yet here he gives a direct, no nonsense reply to Scott that makes Scott do some self-reflection about his motivation.

sap5

It seemed to me that VM were expecting something that MF&P didn't provide, because MF&P had good reason to think that wasn't necessary to provide. So what it actually was probably isn't that important; rather the point was VM and their coaches needed to learn how to communicate with each other better - which it looked like they did in 17 GPF and 18 Olympics.

barbarafan

Interesting! I had no idea. Maybe Indigo is full of V/M ubers? :D

These are the kinds of details I love reading about. Patrice comes off as the laid-back, non confrontational half, and yet here he gives a direct, no nonsense reply to Scott that makes Scott do some self-reflection about his motivation.

That sounds like Patrice...He is the one who can juggle all manner of teams from all countries and they check their ego at the door as step one. He is completely intolerant of any form of bad behavior and is well respected. On the other hand he really loves his teams and no gives max effort to all.

Japanfan

For those who prefer to use the library :slinkaway:

It's on order here in Vancouver and I imagine it's the same for libraries throughout the country. I'm #20 on 4 copies, which isn't that much, given that the book will be a quick read. It may be a bit of a wait but the library is rather on top of in-demand Canadian books and I don't mind the wait.

Japanfan

But this is basically a thick coffee book. A very well written one, though.

So I'm choosing to get my name on the list for when it comes in to my local library - it's on order and I'm #20 for 4 copies, which isn't too bad. I expect it to come in fairly soon (library requests popular Canadian content in a timely fashion) and don't mind the wait.

VGThuy

That does sound interesting. As @sap5 said, the takeaway from that passage seems that no coach/skater relationship will be without some conflict, as all professional relationships can have. It's how both parties deal with the situation and grow from it that matters. The fact that MFD/Patrice and Scott/Tessa were able to come together, and they felt free to be open about how they felt, and MFD/Patrice were receptive to it makes me think it was a very mature way of handling the situation on all sides.

Golden1

Sounds like she's not kept her apartment in Montreal, which I take to mean they're not coming back to competitive skating.
I think it's funny that the book already talks about them being retired and that the announcement had been made in the fall of 2018 :rofl:. Well, either the book came out earlier than they originally thought or they pushed the announcement back. We'll see which one it is. If it were up to me they would skate forever.

They did some promo for the tour:
radio interview I love their answer about them "bickering".
article about the tour
interview with video

kalamalka

For those who prefer to use the library :slinkaway:

It's on order here in Vancouver and I imagine it's the same for libraries throughout the country. I'm #20 on 4 copies, which isn't that much, given that the book will be a quick read. It may be a bit of a wait but the library is rather on top of in-demand Canadian books and I don't mind the wait.
Rosaleen bought one at the TYCT in Abbotsford and would probably be quite happy to lend it to you, if you want to shorten the wait and are able to stop by for a visit sometime.

Sonata

I think it's funny that the book already talks about them being retired and that the announcement had been made in the fall of 2018 :rofl:. Well, either the book came out earlier than they originally thought or they pushed the announcement back. We'll see which one it is. If it were up to me they would skate forever.

Me too! They give us a documentary, a comeback, 3 Olympic cycles, and there's still tons I would love to see them do in competitive skating. Like I'd love to see a paso doble or tango from them now compared to when they were younger. But I understand that they should be going out on a high.

I realize that they could easily move back to Montreal, but I think they know they know deep down what their decision is and haven't verbalized it.

IloveFS

They did some promo for the tour:
radio interview I love their answer about them "bickering".
article about the tour
interview with video
Do you think that the book is the retirement "announcement"? Or, do you think they re-considered since the book was published? Technically, it's still fall.....

IloveFS

Me too! They give us a documentary, a comeback, 3 Olympic cycles, and there's still tons I would love to see them do in competitive skating. Like I'd love to see a paso doble or tango from them now compared to when they were younger. But I understand that they should be going out on a high.

I realize that they could easily move back to Montreal, but I think they know they know deep down what their decision is and haven't verbalized it.
I think they want to be 100% certain of their decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information