Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir #48: Long Time Running

barbarafan

He doesn’t want nothing, he wants to be a coach and work for b2ten? Why is that not good enough.

I feel bad for Tessa a bit people are just dumping on her on social media, on here, everywhere. In the span of 1 page @Rafter has suggested she broke up a marriage (yes I know the rumors but it’s all speculation as far as I’m concerned), only cares about being a celebrity and trying to be overly sexy in their new ex. And @pani you’re saying she’s using Scott and taking everything from him. What the hell. She’s human just like the rest of us and trying to navigate her life. Give her a break people.

They both have different goals and always have. Tessa is short a few credits to get her degree and she has many interests she would like to explore. Scott prefers to enjoy his family and friends & other sports in time off but even he went into business with family in a shop...using his name to bring in customers. Do you think that was wrong? I don't. They still want to skate together in shows ,,,maybe they will do a few seminars. Scott will make a great coach and he is apprenticing with the best. As far as the rumors what I read was that Jamie and David were separated (supposedly one of the reasons being that he was seeing others)prior to her starting to see him. Have no idea and it is not my business.

Emdee

Yes, by Vancouver and beyond you wouldn’t be able to tell most of the time without seriously scrutinising their blades and nothing but their blades that there ever had been a tiny bit of an imbalance in skating skills. Which is astonishing on Tessa’s part considering she was doing all that with a major injury.
Well, higher education runs in Alex Bilodeau’s family. His father is a Chartered Accountant and partner at KPMG so it’s safe to assume education is stressed upon in his family. Not every family has those same career/education goals. Scott grew up in a more blue collar/middle class environment than Bilodeau did.

That may be the case. I remember very clearly educational expectations set for me even at 10 and did the same for my daughter.
But Tessa’s family is not different to Bilodeaus.
As you say Scotts family may be more entrepreneurial in nature, besides have a middle class background and he may follow those footsteps.
In any event it is his life and what he does or doesnt do is up to him.

Shayii

They both have different goals and always have. Tessa is short a few credits to get her degree and she has many interests she would like to explore. Scott prefers to enjoy his family and friends & other sports in time off but even he went into business with family in a shop...using his name to bring in customers. Do you think that was wrong? I don't. They still want to skate together in shows ,,,maybe they will do a few seminars. Scott will make a great coach and he is apprenticing with the best. As far as the rumors what I read was that Jamie and David were separated (supposedly one of the reasons being that he was seeing others)prior to her starting to see him. Have no idea and it is not my business.
Um did you mean to quote someone else 🤔 because I don’t think anything is wrong. Scott can do whatever makes him happy, likewise for Tessa.

I don’t want to get into the Pelletier rumors, but no one has offered proof and they confronted the rumors back in 2010, it was denied. And in the one percent chance it is true, why are people hating on the 19/20 year old girl instead of the 30 year old, married father?

Shayii

Does middle class mean something different in Canada than the United States? Because here most people with a middle class background pursue a higher education, myself included.

barbarafan

Um did you mean to quote someone else 🤔 because I don’t think anything is wrong. Scott can do whatever makes him happy, likewise for Tessa.

I don’t want to get into the Pelletier rumors, but no one has offered proof and they confronted the rumors back in 2010, it was denied. And in the one percent chance it is true, why are people hating on the 19/20 year old girl instead of the 30 year old, married father?

I was agreeing with you (a further to)and you did mention Pani who I was disagreeing with as well. The you was plural for everyone on the forum who thinks she is dissing Scott in some way by taking advantage of some of the fruits of their 21yr labour.

dramagrrl

I seriously feel that the many posters above who have pointed out that Scott doesn't seem to want the kind of attention Tessa has been garnering are correct. I mean, obviously there are some sponsorships that are targeting a female market (Nivea, her jewelry line, etc.), but do you really think any sponsor or CTV show would say, "No, we ONLY want Tessa!" if Scott wanted to be involved? Ratings for the day of hosting would be even higher if they were doing it together. Most of the sponsorships would probably also be able to bank on all the people who are obsessed with them as a pair (not just the shippers, but people who are not interested in either of them as individuals and are only interested in "Virtue & Moir" as a single entity) more than on using Tessa alone. Even recognisability factor goes up when they are paired. My sister, who has been well-schooled in the lore of V&M for at least the past decade, had to text me to ask if the BonLook ads that are all over downtown Toronto were featuring Tessa or just a model who looked similar. If V&M were in an ad campaign together, even casual viewers would not make that mistake.

Emdee

Does middle class mean something different in Canada than the United States? Because here most people with a middle class background pursue a higher education, myself included.
It was an incorrect term for me to use ...another option is blue collar/ white collar. Somehow nothing really fits the bill completely. There are very educated people who may not have gone to university. And some very educated people are just so uneducated-in thought and actions. I even hesitate to use the words cultured vs uncultured....so lets forget this quandary.
Love them both anyway!

Japanfan

I don't see a reason for hating either of them in the case that it might have been true. Married people often have affairs/relationships with people - both married and single people.

SKAIK David was previously married before he married Jamie? Or married when he got together with Jamie? Since he is still single, it could be that he's decided he's just not the marrying kind. Who knows? Jamie has repeatedly said in interviews that he is a wonderful dad and has a good relationship with her husband as well as herself. What he does in his personal life is really no one's business.

dramagrrl

Speaking of videos, has this been linked here before? https://gaycollectivebouquet.tumblr...ndless-split-screen-session-best-moulin-rouge

It’s incredible. Marie-France is a second away from jumping the boards while Patrice serenely sings Come What May to himself.
I love Patch. :lol: I also really enjoyed when Tessa, Scott and MF were clearly losing their s**t in the K&C waiting for the total and the final ranking, and Patrice calmly says to Tessa, "That's enough. You won!" :D

(Of course, I was only able to enjoy this once I got to about my 100th re-watch, because obviously when I was watching it live, I was also NOT BREATHING and completely losing my s**t along with Tessa, Scott and MF. :lol: )

puglover

Many years ago I vaguely remember there being talk between Patrice and Scott about the positives of having a top-level training facility in ice dance located in Canada so that young Canadian skaters could stay in their home country and still make the top of their sport. When this was under discussion, it seemed like a pipe dream and everyone found it necessary to train with Russians in the U.S. It is considerably more expensive for probably all non-US skaters to train in the states and that affects young Canadian teams. Marie France, Patrice, Romain, and their team have now got the #1 training centre with 17 ice dance teams. I have no idea what the timing would be but I would love to see Scott join that coaching team. Of course, Tessa as well, if that is what she wants, but I could see her more as a guest consultant along with other ventures.

I would assume those things will follow at least some time making the most of their other opportunities. They are each a national hero!!

Sonata

Jean-Francois Menard talks about working with Tessa and Scott:
Original article in French
English translation

Thank you for posting these. I find mental preparation for athletic events fascinating. I love the image of Tessa and Scott scribbling in their notebooks and flipping through their previous notes. Students of their game!

Do we know the dates for SOI Japan?

Tessa and Scott’s twizzles from Moulin Rouge was used as an example of what should be awarded +5 GOEs for the new ice dance rules. This was during the ice dance technical meeting in Milan. I thought it was nice http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7tYDftWFGg&t=75m20s

Even though this talk was about the +5 system, it really provided insight into why some teams get maximum bonus GOEs on a skill even if another team may have appeared to have done more with the same element. Thanks for posting that.

Rafter

Who denied it?

Who is hating on Tessa and not Pelletier? It takes two to tango, I think we all know that.

Last edited:

Rafter

Same in Canada, I should have said blue collar or working class.

Zazy

He seems to get less attention than Tessa (because he’s all about presenting her and she’s such a rockstar so their programs are built around that) but he’s technically the best pure skater, male or female, in the game IMO. Could watch his blades curve the ice effortlessly all day.

Honestly, one of the highlights of seeing them compete live was watching Scott do his solo warmup on the ice. No offense to Tessa or anyone else but it was so clear, seeing all these top skaters together, that he was the cream of the crop. I couldn't take my eyes off him.

As for the separate opportunities thing, generally other teams like D/W for example did a lot of media, events and sponsorships together after the Olympics. Whether it's because Scott isn't interested (definitely possible) or some other reason, it comes across as a little strange to have Tessa do so much solo promotion/events only a few months after the Olympics. They are known for what they achieved together and are much more marketable together than apart. That said, people are pushing their own narratives on the situation (Tessa's desperate for celebrity, is using Scott, hogging the spotlight etc.) when they know nothing. I think it's always a good thing to remind ourselves that we don't know these people (and no, gossip does not equal "knowing"), and let them be.

manhn

Is this really an issue? Maybe Tessa should just do no sponsors, so everything is "equal". Anyways, plenty of pairs skaters or dancers do their own thing wrt sponsors and tv. Tanith is doing NBC commentary for dance, not with Ben. Paul Martini did the interview for CBC. David does pairs commentary. Charlie is doing commentary for the Olympic Channel.

Tai Babilonia has kept her media presence, including writing a book, without her partner by her side.

Are people upset when some random football or hockey or basketball player does sponsorships without the rest of their teammates?

bbkenn

Ditto. I know this vid has been posted already. For some bizarre reason, I see his performance quality and intensity in this fan video better than watching the tv/youtube versions. It is also a different angle, so maybe that it the reason. Anyway, he is awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rlrwVPhldE

I agree. It showcases his excellent dancing skills in a way not seen by the others; also it gives you a real flavor for how much the audience was into this program.

Zazy

Is this really an issue? Maybe Tessa should just do no sponsors, so everything is "equal". Anyways, plenty of pairs skaters or dancers do their own thing wrt sponsors and tv. Tanith is doing NBC commentary for dance, not with Ben. Paul Martini did the interview for CBC. David does pairs commentary. Charlie is doing commentary for the Olympic Channel.

Tai Babilonia has kept her media presence, including writing a book, without her partner by her side.

Are people upset when some random football or hockey or basketball player does sponsorships without the rest of their teammates?

I was talking about the months after the Olympics, your examples are all years later.

And no, it's not a big deal, just pointing out that it is a little out of the ordinary. I expect a lot of people's first question, watching CTV, will be "Where's Scott?"

forthewin

Rafter, I haven't seen you in this thread forever, and all of a sudden you are starting rumors and putting down V/M left and right. What the heck are you doing here?

forthewin

And on the record, Pelletier's marriage ended when his wife hooked up with her reality show partner and got pregnant. That's the proof, not some rumors Rafter is desperately spreading. Pelletier was mentoring V/M at 2010, and V/M have talked about this many times. I don't believe a photo of Tessa and Pelletier walking together means they're romantically involved. You need concrete proof to lay such a horrifying blame on a young girl. What's the matter with you, Rafter?!

forthewin

One more thing, V/M start to do social media after 2014 because they think they might be done from competitive career at that time. It's perfect timing for them to live like a normal person. I can't believe Rafter can twist this into something so nasty! That speaks more about you than V/M.

pani

O, now Scott's family is not good enough. Yes, maybe when they moved to Michigan his family invested all there money in his skating career and can't send him to college, when others rich kids have this for fun, he had responsibility from very young age.
I think education is very important, but for me it's not equal to get your bachelor diploma like in 4 years or spended 10 years and didn't get it yet. You need to grow and be in connection with your speciality for becoming good in another proffesion. But most part of the skaters didn't have full education or talking about they are close to the end last 5-10 years.
BTW, Scott's mom and aunt ended Universaty, his brother's ended colleges, like I know.

I read that now girls parents pay for everything partners needs, did Tessa parents did this for Scott?
Also want to ask, is this OK she named him "training animal"?

Last edited:

Emdee

Pani, this is not a question of good or bad.
Each family is just different. Recognizing their differences is not a criticism of either of them.
Sometimes getting a degree slowly can have more meaning than doing it in four years straight. The element of perseverance and appreciation for your learning is stronger.
I did both studied 8 years straight all paid by my family and then after I came here had to work in the day and study at night. Also there is something to be said for mature students who bring different abilities to the table. That is why most MBA programs want you to have work experience before joining. Education at any time of life is uplifting and admirable whether it is a means to an end ie a future career or not.
These are just my beliefs.

Twilight1

Pani- I grew up in a welfare home with barely 2 pennies to rub together in Ontario. I started working at 12 delivering papers and paid my own way through college. If a kid wants to go to college/ university in Ontario, they can. There is NO barrier to it.

puglover

This is all just sad! Tessa and Scott became "recognizable" to the general population at this Olympics. They came across as beautiful, sexy, somewhat mysterious, intelligent and - Scott - amusing and all-Canadian via the women's hockey game. Current advertising uses "known/celebrity" representatives to sell their products, hence Kendall Jenner is a top model.
So, this greater amount of notoriety has come at a great time when Scott and Tessa can choose what they want to have their name associated with. I don't know if more offers come to Tessa but I would suspect that is the case as more advertising is aimed at women and she is beautiful, has lovely skin, gorgeous hair, and that is what supposedly all women want. She seems at home on women's talk shows - while I thought Scott was very funny with the radio station guys as well as the French programing. They are clever - this is new for them, or at least this much attention.

pani

I think i have more experience to talk about education, because i see students every day. Because I have experience to have real job and only after 10 years start working with students, which I think show to me more perspectives. And I see, how it more easy to learn everything, when you are in your 20th, then when you become 30. How it easy to have high level of education, when you didn't have a break and you are working in this system everyday. I see how people didn't remember, what they learned 4 years ago, so in 10 years they will forget the most parts of unites, they passed before.
Also I saw not one time how people with a lot off diplomas didn't know nothing. So it's not just an opinion. If you went to Universaty just not to go to work, you could spend there 20 years, no matter.
As for families I still can't understand, why they need down Moirs? What is Tessa mom about? Spending all the times with famouse daughter. And what about Scott's mom? She is working and use her education.

pani

Pani- I grew up in a welfare home with barely 2 pennies to rub together in Ontario. I started working at 12 delivering papers and paid my own way through college. If a kid wants to go to college/ university in Ontario, they can. There is NO barrier to it.
Do you need to pay 100 000 per year for traning with Zoueva and Shpilband?
In Scott case he become the most decorated figure skater at OG. So why they need college for working in figure skating? I can't get this.

pani

This is all just sad! Tessa and Scott became "recognizable" to the general population at this Olympics. They came across as beautiful, sexy, somewhat mysterious, intelligent and - Scott - amusing and all-Canadian via the women's hockey game. Current advertising uses "known/celebrity" representatives to sell their products, hence Kendall Jenner is a top model.
So, this greater amount of notoriety has come at a great time when Scott and Tessa can choose what they want to have their name associated with. I don't know if more offers come to Tessa but I would suspect that is the case as more advertising is aimed at women and she is beautiful, has lovely skin, gorgeous hair, and that is what supposedly all women want. She seems at home on women's talk shows - while I thought Scott was very funny with the radio station guys as well as the French programing. They are clever - this is new for them, or at least this much attention.
Who watching figure skating? Did woman's prefer to see Tessa over Scott on TV ? Don't think so. I agree, most part of audience wil, be asking - where is Scott?

Emdee

I think i have more experience to talk about education, because i see students every day. Because I have experience to have real job and only after 10 years start working with students, which I think show to me more perspectives. And I see, how it more easy to learn everything, when you are in your 20th, then when you become 30. How it easy to have high level of education, when you didn't have a break and you are working in this system everyday. I see how people didn't remember, what they learned 4 years ago, so in 10 years they will forget the most parts of unites, they passed before.
Also I saw not one time how people with a lot off diplomas didn't know nothing. So it's not just an opinion. If you went to Universaty just not to go to work, you could spend there 20 years, no matter.
As for families I still can't understand, why they need down Moirs? What is Tessa mom about? Spending all the times with famouse daughter. And what about Scott's mom? She is working and use her education.
Sorry, Pani. I was a University lecturer for 8 years so you could say i have a solid experience in educating minds. Further, when I came to Canada and worked in commerce my teaching capabilities were noticed so I always had interns training under me for 6 months to 2 years. I am proud to say some of them are Presidents and CEOs.

Education is not amassing facts. That can easily be obtained from the internet or books. Education teaches you how to think and analyze facts. This is my perspective.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information