Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir #48: Long Time Running

kittysk8ts

It was not a fan vid. It was made by a social media firm that worlds for Tessa. It was bad timing on her part.
Ok, thank you. Ya, it may have been bad timing, but we don't know if she knew or not. The post on Twitter aggravated me only when the original poster gave a wee lecture about people not really understanding the "full context of their actions". It was at that point that I chimed in and pointed out that 14 people were gone and the poster decided to analyze an Instagram post by Tessa Virtue.

Rafter

I see only Tessa Virtue. And yes, I am in bad mood, because I tired from all this Tessa's projects and PR, when it was TEAM, who won this all medals. And I tired to read about lazy, stupid Scott, who didn't want nothing.
As for education. Did Bourne, Marie-France, Buttle, Davis-White finished there education?
P.S. it's OK to post how bad TS ex is, so why not to have different opinions about Tessa aggressive PR?

I understand what you’re saying pani but Scott doesn’t seem interested in endorsements and he seems even less interested in social media.

I don’t see anything wrong with you being annoyed at her aggressive PR/social. I just think she’s way more into being a celebrity than Scott is.

Rafter

Thank you for response @pani. So, by your logic, Shae-Lyn Bourne should not be a coach/choreographer because Viktor Kraatz wanted to start a private life and have a family? Charlie White should not be commentating on figure skating because Meryl Davis isn't doing the same. That is just silly.

Also, I did not say anything negative about T/S's ex. I said I wanted to give it a chance to grow :)

The new ex program is bad music and I also get the sense in it that Virtue’s trying too hard to be sexy. I think they would have been better served choosing a more mainstream/familiar piece of music.

kittysk8ts

The new ex program is bad music and I also get the sense in it that Virtue’s trying too hard to be sexy. I think they would have been better served choosing a more mainstream/familiar piece of music.
That's fair. I am honestly not sure if I like it or not, lol. Which is why I have reserved judgment for now.

kittysk8ts

No, I am talking about that Scott didn't have education, but non of that persons didn't, but could work in figure skating. For me better not to start, then 20 years be a student.
DW had the same sponsors in the most part. As for BK it was one bad example, when one part of team didn't let to other to have professional carrier.

Ok, I see now @pani. Thank you for your response. I do love your devotion to them as skaters and ice dancers :) Scott has expressed a hope to work with Gadbois and/or B2Ten in some capacity. How do you feel about that?

D

Deleted member 74551

I liked their exhibition more on second watch. Scott’s got real flair in it (he’s amazing in the men’s group number too, he makes the other 4 look like they just wandered on to the ice from the street even though none of them are scrubs!) I think it just needs a bit of time to work out some of the kinks and fill in a few of the awkward pauses. And then I hope they go back to contemporary :D

Shayii

So didn't you talking about Scott is one, who didn't want nothing?
Yes, I think it's unfair, when she got all sponsorships and he didn't get nothing.
He doesn’t want nothing, he wants to be a coach and work for b2ten? Why is that not good enough.

I feel bad for Tessa a bit people are just dumping on her on social media, on here, everywhere. In the span of 1 page @Rafter has suggested she broke up a marriage (yes I know the rumors but it’s all speculation as far as I’m concerned), only cares about being a celebrity and trying to be overly sexy in their new ex. And @pani you’re saying she’s using Scott and taking everything from him. What the hell. She’s human just like the rest of us and trying to navigate her life. Give her a break people.

D

Deleted member 74551

IMO Scott is not only the best male ice dancer but also one oft the best male skaters in general. I could watch him forever.

He seems to get less attention than Tessa (because he’s all about presenting her and she’s such a rockstar so their programs are built around that) but he’s technically the best pure skater, male or female, in the game IMO. Could watch his blades curve the ice effortlessly all day.

kittysk8ts

IMO Scott is not only the best male ice dancer but also one oft the best male skaters in general. I could watch him forever.
Ditto. I know this vid has been posted already. For some bizarre reason, I see his performance quality and intensity in this fan video better than watching the tv/youtube versions. It is also a different angle, so maybe that it the reason. Anyway, he is awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rlrwVPhldE

Vera Costa

What the hell. She’s human just like the rest of us and trying to navigate her life. Give her a break people.

Nothing new. Ripping into Tessa is this fandom's favourite pastime.

We don't know what Tessa wants. But she seems to be capitalizing on the fame from the Olympics and good for her. It'll set her up for whatever she plans on doing in the future. Not like they'll be able to do shows forever.

She does exactly what everyone else is doing in terms of marketing. Her social media is clearly more of a business platform. As for posting 'shippy' stuff, I've always thought she was remarkably restrained. She usually only posts on ice pics we've already seen!

Emdee

I see only Tessa Virtue. And yes, I am in bad mood, because I tired from all this Tessa's projects and PR, when it was TEAM, who won this all medals. And I tired to read about lazy, stupid Scott, who didn't want nothing.
As for education. Did Bourne, Marie-France, Buttle, Davis-White finished there education?
P.S. it's OK to post how bad TS ex is, so why not to have different opinions about Tessa aggressive PR?

Scott’s options with and without a formal education would be very different. Someone like Alex Bilodeau for example who may have had many more endorsements realized that and is studying business.

Of course Scott could work as a coach or running a skating school or within the ISU, Skate Canada etc but the question is what does he WANT to do with his life. With his experience and ability he should easily be able to spearhead an ice dance program It is up to him to develop his options. Sports broadcasting is a huge business but it must he something he must want to do or work towards.

Tessa was always into fashion and she considered law at one time and now maybe MBA. Whatever she does, she will follow her own path.

I dont understand why anyone expects them to have a common path. Maybe they will skate at shows or maybe not. It is their choice. It is time they leave the rarified atmosphere of competitive sport and embrace the broader sphere of life.

Sonata

He seems to get less attention than Tessa (because he’s all about presenting her and she’s such a rockstar so their programs are built around that) but he’s technically the best pure skater, male or female, in the game IMO. Could watch his blades curve the ice effortlessly all day.

I remember early in their career, there were many comments about him being a particularly extraordinary male skater, which struck me as unusual, because most of the attention is usually on the woman. That’s when I made an effort to watch him and noticed his expression and attention to detail. They are both so well matched. It’s incredible that they were both put together at such a young age.

Some people don’t like seeing others being successful, do they? Scott has always been very vocally supportive about Tessa’s opportunities and I’m not sure why people who don’t know her at all can’t do the same. I’m glad Tessa is getting these opportunities and there is a such a strong, female role model promoting figure skating in Canada. She has a small window of time to be taking advantage of lucrative sponsorships. An MBA is expensive. Good for her for trying out new opportunities.

Vera Costa

Speaking of videos, has this been linked here before? https://gaycollectivebouquet.tumblr...ndless-split-screen-session-best-moulin-rouge

It’s incredible. Marie-France is a second away from jumping the boards while Patrice serenely sings Come What May to himself.

The performance video of MR aside, this might be my favourite video capture. Those side-by-side hugs at the end are adorable. I think the same thing happened with the SD? It works so well with the overall aesthetic of everything.

Honestly, Pyeongchang 2018 was a gift. The universe really wanted this to happen with the way everything was falling into place.

D

Deleted member 74551

I remember early in their career, there were many comments about him being a particularly extraordinary male skater, which struck me as odd, because most of the attention is usually on the woman. That’s when I made an effort to watch him and noticed his expression and attention to detail. They are both so well matched. It’s incredible that they were both put together at such a young age.

Some people don’t like seeing others being successful, do they? Scott has always been very vocally supportive about Tessa’s opportunities and I’m not sure why people who don’t know her at all can’t do the same. I’m glad Tessa is getting these opportunities and there is a such a strong, female role model promoting figure skating in Canada. She has a small window of time to be taking advantage of lucrative sponsorships. An MBA is expensive. Good for her for trying out new opportunities.

It’s his run of blade and depth of edge even before you get to the expressiveness. He’s fudged a turn maybe five times in his career. An exaggeration perhaps but he’s, what, 10 in this video? https://youtu.be/UD8algIDki8 Just look at his feet! Edges everywhere :D By 17 he was clearly a superior skater to all but the best of the senior roster. Tessa had to work hard in that junior to senior transition to match his prodigious skating prowess. Of course he must have spent thousands of hours in a studio in order to partner her and her extraordinary dance ability. It’s unbelievable how well matched they are when put together so young. I remember lots of people thinking they’d have to split eventually because that height difference was looking precarious at one point.

Tessa, in Scott’s own words, is vastly brilliant and should do whatever the hell she wants.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 74551

The performance video of MR aside, this might be my favourite video capture. Those side-by-side hugs at the end are adorable. I think the same thing happened with the SD? It works so well with the overall aesthetic of everything.

Honestly, Pyeongchang 2018 was a gift. The universe really wanted this to happen with the way everything was falling into place.

I like to think of it as cosmic justice for Sochi ;)

I want them to compete forever (gimme that Tango Romantica please guys, just do the pattern at SOI or something?) but at the same time every single thing went so completely perfectly in Pyeongchang that it would be impossible to recreate or top.

Emdee

I remember early in their career, there were many comments about him being a particularly extraordinary male skater, which struck me as unusual, because most of the attention is usually on the woman. That’s when I made an effort to watch him and noticed his expression and attention to detail. They are both so well matched. It’s incredible that they were both put together at such a young age.

With 2 mill net worth I think Tessa can afford an MBA. Besides Queens has an Olympian program that is either subsidized or free.

Emdee

I have been watching their junior competitions and I totally agree that Scott really shines and Tessa had to keep up with him. However somewhere around 2007 or so she came into her own.

D

Deleted member 74551

I have been watching their junior competitions and I totally agree that Scott really shines and Tessa had to keep up with him. However somewhere around 2007 or so she came into her own.

Yes, by Vancouver and beyond you wouldn’t be able to tell most of the time without seriously scrutinising their blades and nothing but their blades that there ever had been a tiny bit of an imbalance in skating skills. Which is astonishing on Tessa’s part considering she was doing all that with a major injury.

D

Deleted member 74551

I'd watch a stream just of MF and Brian Orser along the boards watching their students

Now I know what MF is like at the boards I’m going to need a camera on her at all times. She lives it!

dramagrrl

No, I am talking about that Scott didn't have education, but non of that persons didn't, but could work in figure skating. For me better not to start, then 20 years be a student.
DW had the same sponsors in the most part. As for BK it was one bad example, when one part of team didn't let to other to have professional carrier.

First of all, I have never been able to find any concrete evidence that Tessa ever finished her undergrad degree. Did she? The last concrete info I can find is about her switching from U of Windsor to taking some courses at UWO shortly before their comeback.

Second, some of the examples @pani brought up were not the best examples of uneducated skaters. As far as I know, Shae-Lynn never even finished high school, but the others all had at least some post-secondary education. Jeff Buttle did around two years of chemical engineering at a very good university. Meryl and Charlie both also took several courses at a well-reputed school. I’m not saying this to mean that I believe Scott needs more formal education to get more opportunities; I’m just pointing out that if you are using education as a comparison point specifically, yes, Tessa and all those others aside from Bourne do have an advantage in that area.

dramagrrl

@Twilight1 , I think @pani was trying to say that Scott doesn’t/shouldn’t need the same level of education as Tessa to get equal opportunities. If he wanted to be a social media celeb, then I do agree for the most part, but I also totally commend any skaters who choose to continue their education while or after they are done competing.

Rafter

Scott’s options with and without a formal education would be very different. Someone like Alex Bilodeau for example who may have had many more endorsements realized that and is studying business.

Well, higher education runs in Alex Bilodeau’s family. His father is a Chartered Accountant and partner at KPMG so it’s safe to assume education is stressed upon in his family. Not every family has those same career/education goals. Scott grew up in a more blue collar/middle class environment than Bilodeau did.

Last edited:

Shayii

Speaking of videos, has this been linked here before? https://gaycollectivebouquet.tumblr...ndless-split-screen-session-best-moulin-rouge

It’s incredible. Marie-France is a second away from jumping the boards while Patrice serenely sings Come What May to himself.
I always sing along too :lol: I don’t think it can be helped.
First of all, I have never been able to find any concrete evidence that Tessa ever finished her undergrad degree. Did she? The last concrete info I can find is about her switching from U of Windsor to taking some courses at UWO shortly before their comeback.

Second, some of the examples @pani brought up were not the best examples of uneducated skaters. As far as I know, Shae-Lynn never even finished high school, but the others all had at least some post-secondary education. Jeff Buttle did around two years of chemical engineering at a very good university. Meryl and Charlie both also took several courses at a well-reputed school. I’m not saying this to mean that I believe Scott needs more formal education to get more opportunities; I’m just pointing out that if you are using education as a comparison point specifically, yes, Tessa and all those others aside from Bourne do have an advantage in that area.
She doesn’t have her undergrad yet, but her units are close.
With 2 mill net worth I think Tessa can afford an MBA. Besides Queens has an Olympian program that is either subsidized or free.
Is she really worth 2 million though? That seems like a lot even with all the sponsorships.

IloveFS

In terms of male skaters, I also think Cizeron and Poirer are exquisite.

screech

Jeff Buttle did around two years of chemical engineering at a very good university.
I believe I read that Tessa plans to finish her undergrad degree now - I don't think it's actually done yet.

Also, I'd heard about 5 or 6 years ago (from a very reliable source) that Jeff Buttle was planning on applying to law school. Apparently due to his bit of his (unfinished) undergrad, his 'life experience' and his age, he wouldn't have to complete his undergrad to apply and get accepted. AFAIK he never followed through, but that had been his plan - he hadn't set out to become a full-time choreographer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information