Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir #48: Long Time Running

Shayii

A “brand expert” discusses VM’s marketing potential. Hopefully they take some of these ideas! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9aFNkRdpiSk&feature=youtu.be
Did you notice they had Scott Virtue and Tessa Moir lol. It switched back about half way through. But yes to the ice show. They could do something like Stephane Lambiel has created like his Ice Legends show. Anyway the branding expert was right on the money. I think Tessa would definitely be up for this, but not sure about Scott. He seems to want a quieter, simpler life lol.

Japanfan

I've seen some question V/M's FD mark jumping 4 points in a few days.

I assume you refer to the TE?

Didn't P/C's marks jump up considerably from GPF, which I think was their SB?

I'm not sure if you compare the one to the other. Judging should be consistent, but it isn't. Canada was clearly the favorite for the gold in the TE, where the French were clearly the favorite in the individual event. So, the judges may have scored P/C lower in the team event because in their minds, Canada already had the gold. In contrast, in light of the costume malfunction and its detrimental impact on P/C's skating in the individual SD, the judges may have over-scored P/C a bit because in their minds, the gold was their's. Then, in the individual FD, the judges may have (consciously or unconciously) given P/C that monster score again because they were aiming to give them the win.

But V/M had something to say about that! And in the end, the right team won.

So, sometimes their is justice in FS judging.

pani

Did you notice they had Scott Virtue and Tessa Moir lol. It switched back about half way through. But yes to the ice show. They could do something like Stephane Lambiel has created like his Ice Legends show. Anyway the branding expert was right on the money. I think Tessa would definitely be up for this, but not sure about Scott. He seems to want a quieter, simpler life lol.
Together they could made more money, but Tessa wish to have her own brand and I understand her. But they could asked Scott for Nivea men brand cosmetics.

Shayii

Together they could made more money, but Tessa wish to have her own brand and I understand her. But they could asked Scott for Nivea men brand cosmetics.
I don’t think that’s true. I preface this by saying I obviously don’t know Tessa and Scott personally so anything I say is based on what I’ve seen. I don’t think brands are purposely excluding Scott (well I’m sure it’s easier for female figure skaters to get sponsorships vs males). It might be his choice. Can you imagine Scott plugging Nivea for men products? Because I can’t :lol:
I assume you refer to the TE?

Didn't P/C's marks jump up considerably from GPF, which I think was their SB?

I'm not sure if you compare the one to the other. Judging should be consistent, but it isn't. Canada was clearly the favorite for the gold in the TE, where the French were clearly the favorite in the individual event. So, the judges may have scored P/C lower in the team event because in their minds, Canada already had the gold. In contrast, in light of the costume malfunction and its detrimental impact on P/C's skating in the individual SD, the judges may have over-scored P/C a bit because in their minds, the gold was their's. Then, in the individual FD, the judges may have (consciously or unconciously) given P/C that monster score again because they were aiming to give them the win.

But V/M had something to say about that! And in the end, the right team won.

So, sometimes their is justice in FS judging.
PC didn’t skate in the TE.

irena

It was all planned for the French to win but all stars on the sky aligned the right way so it was justice at the end. The French were sure to win, so they skipped the team event, turned to be big mistake, while Tessa and Scott took it all, did not save anything and they won hearts even before stepping on the ice for their last performances, the fact that the French judge was left out from the last competition but the Canadian stayed, the fact that they skated last, and the judges thought they have given the French high enough marks, and the fact that Tessa and Scott did not give them any chance to be deprived of what they deserved and finally the audience. I expected that the audience will love Tessa and Scott but I also thought they will love Moonlightsonata and I was truly surprised by how much the audience did not give attention to the French. I think that the audience would have stormed the judges if they decided otherwise. But after all, it was Tessa and Scott moment and they truly deserved it, fighting till the end for what their hearts felt right.. It is so rare to see justice in this sport and I am so happy I saw it this one time. The Universe for sure got these two together, so it owed them this moment.

pani

I don’t think that’s true. I preface this by saying I obviously don’t know Tessa and Scott personally so anything I say is based on what I’ve seen. I don’t think brands are purposely excluding Scott (well I’m sure it’s easier for female figure skaters to get sponsorships vs males). It might be his choice. Can you imagine Scott plugging Nivea for men products? Because I can’t :lol:

Not truth they will not made more money for VirtueMoir brand, then Tessa along? I think we just need to look at Tessa insta account and will see how many likes Tess got for photos with Scott and along.
But of coase this two have different interests in promotion different products.
Why Moskavich, Radford could be models and Moir couldn't? Maybe is something about Canadians preference?
Maybe in Canada male figure skater with record counts of medals will be always worst then hockey players with not best results?
But in any case I think in Canada VM could really get money just for photoshoots together, maybe in MR movie costumes ;)

Emdee

Pani, time will tell. Scott did pose with Tessa for the wedding photo shoot but he doesnt really have the standard model looks and it doesnt help that Tessa is drop dead gorgeous.
I am sure there will be more to come. I know the lecture circuit pays extremely well. His market will have to be very different that is all.

ngcskate

Kurt did pretty well with endorsements, but he also came along at a unique time in skating when it was explosively popular around the world. Tessa and Scott have done some car commercials together, and Scott had that Bel Air Direct one. They've also done the speaking engagement thing. I'm sure Tessa and Scott have good advisors looking out for them and projects that will work for both of them.

Goody2shoes

Lovely posts since the Games, everyone :)

I'm not going to bother to throw in my own opinion about the scores. It's enough going around in FSU boards to get me in some posters' bad books. Except I say this ... I think v/m was deserving of the win. Skated two very well-skated performances in IE. (If anyone coming into v/m thread want to disagree, feel free)

I'm neither Canadian nor come from any of countries that snows and hold winter games. Though I've visited and made longtime friends from such countries so my preference is based on my own observation and understanding of all things FS from variety of sources.

My past posts already made my preference clear in terms that I admire this first from v/m (since knowing of/watching them starting 2007) they are presently the best in skating (technical) skills. All that (twizzles, unison, edges, lifts, holds, controlled speeds, patterns, etc...), can be scrutinized (and compared)in all their video performances if want to argue. What impresses me till today is how they managed (and improved) to incorporate those skills with expressive (& impressive) artistic deliverance in various kinds of dance styles. Artistic taste is subjective. Technical is not. To me, FS is still a sport. I still hold judges to act responsibly and conduct their job honourably. So, I'm done on this point.

On different topic ...

I'm still searching for those olympics press conference for both IE ice dance but no success ... Close to it is found under Jackie Wong's Twitter (only for FD). If anyone has better luck, hope to hear from it :p

https://mobile.twitter.com/rockerskating/status/965827007324962816?lang=en

Emdee

Lovely posts since the Games, everyone :)

I'm not going to bother to throw in my own opinion about the scores. It's enough going around in FSU boards to get me in some posters' bad books. Except I say this ... I think v/m was deserving of the win. Skated two very well-skated performances in IE. (If anyone coming into v/m thread want to disagree, feel free)

I'm neither Canadian nor come from any of countries that snows and hold winter games. Though I've visited and made longtime friends from such countries so my preference is based on my own observation and understanding of all things FS from variety of sources.

My past posts already made my preference clear in terms that I admire this first from v/m (since knowing of/watching them starting 2007) they are presently the best in skating (technical) skills. All that (twizzles, unison, edges, lifts, holds, controlled speeds, patterns, etc...), can be scrutinized (and compared)in all their video performances if want to argue. What impresses me till today is how they managed (and improved) to incorporate those skills with expressive (& impressive) artistic deliverance in various kinds of dance styles. Artistic taste is subjective. Technical is not. To me, FS is still a sport. I still hold judges to act responsibly and conduct their job honourably. So, I'm done on this point.

On different topic ...

I'm still searching for those olympics press conference for both IE ice dance but no success ... Close to it is found under Jackie Wong's Twitter (only for FD). If anyone has better luck, hope to hear from it :p

https://mobile.twitter.com/rockerskating/status/965827007324962816?lang=en
Have you tried compulsorydances.blogspot.ca

Emdee

I’m not sure Scott wants a lot of endorse. Though he should do commercials because his insurance commercial was hilarious.
Hope he gets something like Tag Heuer watches...I recall Alex Bilodeau got that after Sochi. Or maybe both of them can get Baume & M swiss watches.
Also, the lecture circuit pays very well. They would be great motivational speakers with their long careers, setbacks, return etc.

Shayii

Not truth they will not made more money for VirtueMoir brand, then Tessa along? I think we just need to look at Tessa insta account and will see how many likes Tess got for photos with Scott and along.
But of coase this two have different interests in promotion different products.
Why Moskavich, Radford could be models and Moir couldn't? Maybe is something about Canadians preference?
Maybe in Canada male figure skater with record counts of medals will be always worst then hockey players with not best results?
But in any case I think in Canada VM could really get money just for photoshoots together, maybe in MR movie costumes ;)
Of course they would make more money with a VirtueMoir brand. It’s obvious people care about them being a pair even more so than their skating at times. But it’s not our decision it’s Tessa and Scott’s and they don’t want to exploit their relationship. And I keep saying it’s not that brands aren’t interested in Scott, but he’s probably the one not interested. That’s just what I feel. Do you honestly think Scott wants to be a model? Scott wears his heart on his sleeve he’s pretty easy to read to me. I don’t think he’s that comfortable in the spotlight TBH.
I think Japanfan meant to say that it may/could have happened that way if P/C had competed in the team event.
Yes, after I already posted I realized that’s most likely what she meant.

sap5

The incredible thing about VM is that after these Games, they are marketable both as a team AND as individuals. Obviously Tessa already had so many deals going, but Scott came out of it as one of the most relatable Canadians ever. A remarkable feat for a male ice dancer in a North American country. That Molson offer is huge, and whether he takes it remains to be seen, but for an ice dancer to be asked to sponsor something so mainstream male is amazing.

ETA: There's a part of me that would love he did something like Molson though, especially if the angle is "Canadian identity." There's still a stigma against boys who choose figure skating over hockey, but maybe having a male ice dancer representing something like this could start breaking that barrier down and show that figure skating isn't just a "girls" sport.

Last edited:

Golden1

Another video of the FD, this time from the Olympic Channel and it has a quote that I love to hear: "Gold, silver, gold - in three Olympics. That has to be the greatest team in history." Video

As far as their future goes: Of course, I want the best for them but my biggest wish (not selfish at all ;)) is for them to do a lot of touring, preferably in central Europe. Their "Art on Ice" program "Say it right" is still one of my favorite show programs by them and I saw it live! I so, so, so want to see them live again.
Besides that I would love to see them coaching and choreographing for young teams.

Emdee

The incredible thing about VM is that after these Games, they are marketable both as a team AND as individuals. Obviously Tessa already had so many deals going, but Scott came out of it as one of the most relatable Canadians ever. A remarkable feat for a male ice dancer in a North American country. That Molson offer is huge, and whether he takes it remains to be seen, but for an ice dancer to be asked to sponsor something so mainstream male is amazing.

ETA: There's a part of me that would love he did something like Molson though, especially if the angle is "Canadian identity." There's still a stigma against boys who choose figure skating over hockey, but maybe having a male ice dancer representing something like this could start breaking that barrier down and show that figure skating isn't just a "girls" sport.
Was he offered a Molson contract?

Emdee

Yes what’s Molson? What’s this about a Molson deal?
Molson Canada replied to a twitter about Scott and beer. See post 129 and more moir link.
This doesn’t necessarily mean that they have offered him a deal though easy to make the link between Canadian/ hockey/ beer.

ddtpdx

Another video of the FD, this time from the Olympic Channel and it has a quote that I love to hear: "Gold, silver, gold - in three Olympics. That has to be the greatest team in history." Video

Thanks so much for the video. This is the same commentary that was associated with the enhanced broadcast (with D/L watching) where the audio got cut off at the end of the FD.

Golden1

Thanks so much for the video. This is the same commentary that was associated with the enhanced broadcast (with D/L watching) where the audio got cut off at the end of the FD.
Yep, hearing their comments at the end made me like these commentators even more ;) Now if I could just find the enhanced broadcast with working audio...

Until then: Here is a video of the Arkells' trip to Korea and, of course, it has Tessa and Scott in it: Facebook video

Shayii

As far as their future goes: Of course, I want the best for them but my biggest wish (not selfish at all ;)) is for them to do a lot of touring, preferably in central Europe. Their "Art on Ice" program "Say it right" is still one of my favorite show programs by them and I saw it live! I so, so, so want to see them live again.
Besides that I would love to see them coaching and choreographing for young teams.
Is the Olympic Channel video the same as this one https://youtu.be/wOEKdWrtz6U? The YouTube link says it’s not available in my country which is weird.

ETA: You can hear someone clapping at the end of the FD in this coverage lol.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information