Survivor S39: Island of the Idols

BaileyCatts

So in the first round of voting, why did Karishma vote for Janet? I thought she wanted Elizabeth out so why vote for Janet at all? And why did Dan vote for Elizabeth first round? Did Karishma and Dan work a deal or something I missed like covering bases if either one played an Idol? And then why did they all vote for Elizabeth when Janet is viewed as a threat due to everyone likes her? So confused. Well I get the everyone voting for Karishma thing at least. :lol: Just happy Janet is still there.

Last edited:

Jenny

From the Bloc
It looked to me like Dan was voting for Elizabeth in case Karishma had an Idol, and then Karishma went rogue. Might be because I hate her so much at this point, but I'm wondering if Karishma wants Janet out because she maybe sees through her act, but whatever.

Elizabeth in the second round makes sense - she may have no allies left, but she's already got a few on the jury, and as an Olympic athlete, is a threat at every individual immunity challenge, whereas Janet is not. People like her, but they can get rid of her any time, plus she's not making much of a case for the jury.

The other thing about Elizabeth is that without her solid allies, she was a free agent, even said so to several people, and in Survivor, that's almost more dangerous than your known enemies, because you can't predict what they'll do. Which is why KARISHMA MUST GO.

On another note, loving Lauren's analysis and the fact that it played out pretty much exactly as she had told Rob and Sandra, very impressive. It's easy enough for us to sit back and know everything, but in the game it can be harder, so well done. Best part is that I think only Tommy really gets what she did (and only because she told him), because otherwise, wow she's a huge threat to win this thing in final TC.

And finally, I continue to be, I don't know what the word is, annoyed? Upset? Almost betrayed in a way? for the huge 2-hour thing Survivor did about Kellee vs Dan, and yet here we are just days later in Survivor time and everyone is hanging with Dan, talking about how popular he is, no hard feelings that we can see at all. Only the jury looks pissed, and given how several of them went on social media in the immediate aftermath, I wonder how burned some of them were feeling as they watched the TCs and now see the whole thing playing out for all of America to see. VV curious about how the live finale is going to go - I can see someone like Missy having Something to Say.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I’ve been wrong about a lot this season, but I have had this feeling since they completely shifted away from all of that 2 hour drama that the only reason we saw it is because Dan does make the final three and at that point Kellee (and maybe the others) get to go at him again in a big way. In order for it to make sense at the end, maybe we needed to see it now type of thing?

I have a feeling next episode that they are going to split themselves into two groups of four trying to push towards the finals with the numbers. If Lauren and Tommy were smart, and I think they are, I’d be trying to form some kind of final four with Karishma and someone else, maybe Dean who they are giving the kind of clueless edit.

I want to give Karishma more credit for her play and I know that she voted Janet because of her talk with Dan, but she should’ve been clued in that the vote wasn’t going that way when she was immediately questioned about her talk with Elizabeth. For all she knew, she was getting EVERY vote and targeting Janet doesn’t make sense when she hypothetically could’ve knocked anyone out. Dan probably knew all votes were going to her and that she was going to vote his ally Janet, so he saw that he needed to throw a vote elsewhere just in case. Great move for him, even if I can’t stand him.

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
At this point, I want Noura or Janet to win; the rest just are obnoxious.
Good idol play by Karishma, and I thought it was hilarious that Lauren of the great "reads" of people played her idol for nothing.
I agree, the reason we saw the whole 2 hour Feely Dan thing was because he makes final three. Which I find disgusting, but at least in that case Kellee won't have to spend Ponderosa time with him.
SOO glad Elizabeth is gone, gone gone.

Jenny

From the Bloc
You may both be right that they were setting up the final 3 showdown, or, if I was to put money on it, I think CBS, Burnett and Probst saw an opportunity for a Very Special Episode of Survivor because they all needed it, for bigger reasons beyond the game. We'll see!

I'm liking Noura too, crazy, but I think she's smart and she's great casting all round. Not sure what's up with those eyebrows though, if I may be snarky for a moment :)

Janet is I'm sure a nice person but I don't feel one way or the other for her, now that the scandal has apparently passed and they all seem to have made nice. Elizabeth didn't bother me much, sure she did a nasty thing along with Missy but I also give them the benefit of the doubt that they were deep in the game and didn't fully realize what was happening (if they even do now, because I still don't think we have all the facts lined up in order here). What I do mind is that as the first person to see Rob and Sandra, she had an opportunity to go to every person who went after her and form a kind of alliance based on that. "I won't blow it for you if you don't blow it for me" kind of thing. Really surprised there's not more of that - I mean at this point they had to know Lauren had a shot at an Idol by going, and yet zero discussion of the possibility.

I don't blame her for playing it, I think I would have too. It's only good for two TCs, and there have been enough blindsides, and given her talk of risk with Rob and Sandra, she played it safe and good on her. Never really paid much attention to her before this ep, but she's a force in this game.

Kinda have a soft spot for Elaine, not really big on Dan before or after what happened, just not a guy I'm going to have beers with and he's not playing a notable game either. Tommy not sure, I think he's trying really hard, and that might do him in at some point. I want to like Dean (OK OK I think he's kinda cute, and of what we're stuck with here, definitely the one I don't mind seeing running around in his underwear) but dang he keeps making mistakes and then when it was pointed out that he has zero stamina well I guess he's just another guy who pumps up to look good but isn't actually that healthy or strong or skilled. Sigh, there have been so many guys like that on Survivor over the years.

But Karishma really gets on my nerves. Whines and whines, poor me, but I'm so strong I'm gonna fight, this is MY journey!!! Plus I think she's a big liar, to herself as much as anyone. Am I the only one who remembers her telling people that she was in an arranged marriage and it was like living with a roommate and then a couple eps later she's crying to the camera that she misses her husband who she loves so much and he loves her and all this? So which is it? Methinks that with Karishma, it's whatever is convenient in the moment, that's the story she tells, and she probably believes every word of it.

I'm sorta routing for Noura at this point, maybe a few others, but mostly I think I'm Team Anyone But Karishma.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
But Karishma really gets on my nerves. Whines and whines, poor me, but I'm so strong I'm gonna fight, this is MY journey!!! Plus I think she's a big liar, to herself as much as anyone. Am I the only one who remembers her telling people that she was in an arranged marriage and it was like living with a roommate and then a couple eps later she's crying to the camera that she misses her husband who she loves so much and he loves her and all this? So which is it? Methinks that with Karishma, it's whatever is convenient in the moment, that's the story she tells, and she probably believes every word of it.

I thought what she said was that being isolated and on the outs from everyone has given her a new appreciation for her husband for being willing to love her for the rest of her life.

I figured that this kind of a classic Survivor thing--show us Karishma complaining about her arranged marriage and then showing us later how she had experienced an epiphany thanks to being on the show.

Jenny

From the Bloc
You're probably right. Next week is family visits, so we'll see if it's him.

I did feel sorry for her at first, when she hurt her hand and everyone was ignoring her, so maybe I'm wrong about her, but again, we'll see.

smurfy

I agree with you all posted.

Nora - some think of her as a goat - but she wins immunity challenges - she could win at the end. Not sure if I like her, she is a bit kook - but she is doing well in some areas.
Krishna - I want her gone - so she will stay
Dan - I just don't want to see him - I cringe when he is on. And good point that the edit is that he is there at the end.
Not sure who I want to win, just who I don't want to win.
And I definitely feel like there is so much edited out that would be really helpful.
I guess between Janet and Elizabeth - will still have a shot at Janet, but Elizabeth - so makes sense.
Bummed Lauren played her idol - but don't blame her. The way she reads everyone is impressive - and must be exhausting.

tony

I have a friend who is a Karishma stan.

I have a feeling she has more followers than we would guess. I wanted to love her for those 20 seconds she walked around all dazed and acting horribly (after being gone for so long finding the idol), and I really wanted a showdown between her and Noura over needing medical to come check her out. But it fizzed out quickly.

But I will say that, at least from the edit we have been getting this season (and not taking into consideration how little we are sometimes seeing due to the twist and Sandra & Rob time), Karishma at least now seems to know what she needs to do to get further in the game. There are some people still playing that just seem to be there and going with the flow because they somehow feel comfortable in the big group.

Noura is one of those people that I would just laugh hysterically at if she was around me and she wouldn't understand why, and I wouldn't be able to explain it either but she's just so kooky! I really, really want to see her get mad because I really feel she has some Debbie side to her and it will be :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited:

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
That was a satisfying end. Karishma is the opposite of a good Survivor player, but I do like how she can throw a wrench in things. Playing an idol when 7 of 8 players vote for you has to feel :kickass:. Especially since we saw how Noura and Elizabeth ransacked her bag. It only could have been better if somehow Elizabeth and Karishma had voted for Dan. Or really, Dean. He is the most irritating of them all to me - just a useless weasel.

Speaking of Dean, IIRC, the way the fake advantage was written, it could be used at 9 or 6. So Dean made a fake (of the fake! :D ), knowing it would be rejected, as a way to make everyone else think it was gone, when he thinks it's still usable at 6. If it were a real advantage, that would be pretty brill. Because it's Dean, I almost hope he makes it to 6 but is the target then, just to see him try to use it and fail. Begrudging sorta respect for the strategy a round his fake fake, though.

I'm surprised Jeff didn't snark about almost everyone choosing to eat instead of compete. It always seemed like he did not respect that choice. And did they really not tell him that Boston Rob and Sandra told Lauren about the challenge? lol

tony

IMO Jeff knows everything about everything but still plays coy. I know that tribal councils can go on for hours and a multitude of questions are asked that never make the broadcasts, but he always knows how to conveniently word things so that all of the camp drama and alliance drama comes to light before the pivotal moment of the vote. There’s no way he didn’t know about Rob and Sandra’s challenge for Lauren.

Sparks

That was a satisfying end. Karishma is the opposite of a good Survivor player, but I do like how she can throw a wrench in things. Playing an idol when 7 of 8 players vote for you has to feel :kickass:. Especially since we saw how Noura and Elizabeth ransacked her bag.
This is exactly why my friend is a Karishma stan. ;)

BaileyCatts

Speaking of Noura ransacking the bag ….. didn't she pull out the cloth with the writing on it that says "this is the idol", along with the actual freaking Idol necklace, and say "oh this is nothing". :wideeyes: :wideeyes: Did I actually see that or did Karishma make a fake Idol? What was that stuff Noura pulled out and said "oh this is nothing"? I wasn't really paying attention so maybe it wasn't, but it sure looked like the actual freaking Idol necklace to me!

tony

Speaking of Noura ransacking the bag ….. didn't she pull out the cloth with the writing on it that says "this is the idol", along with the actual freaking Idol necklace, and say "oh this is nothing". :wideeyes: :wideeyes: Did I actually see that or did Karishma make a fake Idol? What was that stuff Noura pulled out and said "oh this is nothing"? I wasn't really paying attention so maybe it wasn't, but it sure looked like the actual freaking Idol necklace to me!

Karishma hid her idol in her bra the entire time, so I think it was just a shell necklace or something similar.

tony

I don’t get what Dean was thinking. He had to know Noura’s crazy personality was going to blow up but what benefit does he have by helping Tommy? He’s either clueless, or he thinks he has an in with Tommy and Lauren for the end. But he had a golden opportunity to get down to four with both Karishma and Noura- I’d much rather take my chances there. I think he just ruined any chance he had at winning, and it actually was probably pretty good if he had just kept his mouth shut.

ETA here- Noura really had no other option. Dean saying he’s not voting for Tommy meant that Noura would’ve probably taken all the heat for lying and maybe even got herself voted out. It was already close. I think she saved herself a little by revealing everything, including the idol find.

And Boston Rob is exactly right, all that talk just to get Karishma out? 🙄

We got a tease of Tommy apparently saying he needs to get Lauren out of the game because she’s going to win, but I have my doubts on the context in which he said it.

Elaine and Noura are on the outs, and the only thing I can think of to really switch it up is that Dan and Janet realize they need to jump over to work with them, keeping the idea that Dean is maybe secretly playing with Tommy and Lauren when they get down to 5.

Last edited:

Jenny

From the Bloc
That was crazy at the end - the total free-for-all was fun but so hard to track because for me at least, it really looked like Noura had blown it completely and she was going. I like her - I like crazy people :) - but she the loosest cannon to ever play this game, you never know what she's going to say or do, and that's the worst person to have around, especially this late in the game when you might really need her. I thought for sure they'd get rid of her, especially when she revealed Elaine's Idol - everyone had to be thinking that they were happy to know about it, but scared Noura would do it to them next.

As for Dean, he's been saying and trying to make a Big Move for some time, so maybe this was about being able to look the jury in the face make a case at the end? He's had quite a few alliances in this game, so not really surprised he didn't stick with a new one, particularly when half of it was made up of Karishma (good goat, but also likely gone sooner than later and there goes your alliance) and Noura (see above). Tommy and Dean are both New Yorkers, and along with Lauren, the only under 30s left - maybe there's something there in terms of connection and trust.

But in the end, they wanted Karishma out, and she's gone, and that makes me happy :)

So the family visits. Clearly they coached the family members since they were all ready to say something eloquent about their loved ones. I was particularly interested to hear Janet's husband say that she's fights for women, only to have Janet pick Dan to go on the reward with them, with Tommy's blessing, five minutes later.

smurfy

WTF just happened. LOL at TC
Love all your statements.
All that and Krishna is gone. :)
Only thing that would have made it crazy was if II was played for Krishna, not that I wanted her to stay.

I know some people don't like when they move around and whisper at TC- but I love it.
This has only been happening/shown more recently. As far was we were ever shown - it never happened in earlier seasons. I can't help but wonder if earlier contestants are watching and wished they had done it.

Smart of Tommy to have a side deal? But with Dean? Hope they show fallout next week.

DreamSkates

Now that Karishna is gone, who will they turn on next?
I was shocked they didn't vote Noura out for her obvious trying-to-play-both-sides-of-the-fence antics at tribal.
I think it would be more interesting if the rule was no whispering between members during council. The vote would be harder on everyone if they thought someone was changing sides. But it makes for more TV drama.

tony

This is totally from memory, but I think one of the seasons that featured Michaela was the first to have everyone scrambling during tribal council. There have always been whispers between people before the vote, but an all-out scrambling IIRC happened during one of her seasons and Jeff even commented such. Now I think everyone feels like it is fair game and it does make for good television because most of the time they don't even know what they are going to do.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
Over the course of Survivor: Island of the Idols, Patel has had 22 votes cast against her which is the most in any single season. She’s also tied for the most times the same person (Dean Kowalski) has voted against her in a single season with Jane Bright and Marty Piombo (Survivor: Nicaragua) at five times.

I can't see anyone keeping Noura after this; she's not reliable enough to be useful to anyone. I wonder if we will see some interesting discussion of this at camp--or if they will just move on to more fun with Rob and Sandra.

tony

I can't see anyone keeping Noura after this; she's not reliable enough to be useful to anyone. I wonder if we will see some interesting discussion of this at camp--or if they will just move on to more fun with Rob and Sandra.

She's reliable enough to be used as a number, though, even if she's unpredictable. I think there will be bigger fish to fry for the next few tribals, and then she's potentially going to find herself in a final 5 where she may very well be the one who decides which pair goes to the four.

Jenny

From the Bloc
The other factor with Noura though is she's a challenge threat. She's strong and has the will. They are running out of chances to get rid of her, and while we sadly have to rely on what the story producers and editors give us, I'm not under the impression that anyone dislikes her. They all think she's nuts, but they all seem to like her at the same time.

That being said, high on my target list in any game of Survivor would be anyone who's unpredictable. Dean also fits the bill as he has been willing to go in whatever direction will save his ass (which, if he makes it to the end, is a valid point in his favour). Have Elaine and Tommy also jumped a bit in their alliances and loyalties?

I'd be targetting Lauren - she's got the social game, she can like give some good jury arguments, I think she's got friends on the jury, and now she's also won a challenge. She's got winner written all over her whereas Dean and Dan have yet to win any individual challenges.

Elaine also seems to be likeable, she's gone with the flow most of the game so I don't think she's pissed anyone off, and of the remaining players, only she and Noura have won two challenges.

I don't think Janet has much of a case, nor Tommy; they might get a few votes, but I don't see them beating anyone other than Dan, maybe Dean.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
The other factor with Noura though is she's a challenge threat. She's strong and has the will.

She has amazing focus during challenges. You'd think it would apply elsewhere, but.....

I was LOL when she laid out the leaves and still couldn't figure out the math for the vote.

I figure Lauren is safe next week because Tommy was shown talking about getting rid her in the previews :p.

genevieve

Staff member
Clearly they coached the family members since they were all ready to say something eloquent about their loved ones. I was particularly interested to hear Janet's husband say that she's fights for women, only to have Janet pick Dan to go on the reward with them, with Tommy's blessing, five minutes later.
so true!!

That was a totally useless episode. I'm with the Kellee - dumb moves.

The only thing I like about Dean is that he looks like such a challenge threat and he's so, so bad and every single challenge :rofl:

Maybe it's because I joined halfway through the season, but I don't really care who wins, other than Not Dan. I like Elaine but I can't see her getting the votes - unless she had ended up sitting next to Karishma. Lauren seems to be playing the hardest/best game but I feel like she's going to implode at some point.

sk8pics

I can't stand Noura but Karishma was even lower on my list of players I like. Glad she is gone, but also scratching my head over that vote.

I'm looking forward to seeing who goes to Rob and Sandra for a lesson next, and what it will be. And also looking forward to players' reactions to Rob and Sandra's comments on what they witnessed in tribal councils.

Jenny

From the Bloc
I wonder where they are going with having Rob and Sandra witness TCs. They don't say much, but there's gotta be a reason they are gathering info. Could it be that a near-end reward will give one of the final 3 the chance to be coached by Rob and Sandra ahead of final TC? Might almost be too much of an advantage - maybe they will coach all three?

genevieve

Staff member
I think it’s just to keep them on everyone’s mind for next season (ugh)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information