Stanley Cup Finals: Las Vegas Golden Knights vs. Washington Capitals

ilovepaydays

2-2 at the half. What a game so far!

If the entire series ends up like this, this might be one of the most exciting Stanley Cup Finals ever!

floridaice

i haven't watched a hockey game in years -- but this game is outstanding. Even my husband, who 'hates' sports is following

floridaice

Wow that was exciting. Just love the Golden Knights story -- always root for the underdog.

libecha

Caps tie the series at 1.

I'm not much of a hockey fan, but as a local, I have to say that I love checking the Washington Post website for daily news and instead finding it plastered in hockey coverage. It's great. The moment in the sun for the Caps beat, as opposed to the usual fare of writing a breathless analysis of how the Redskins have signed a fourth-string punter from Dumpster Fire University when the season doesn't even start for 3 more months.

purple skates

Shadow Dancing
Wow that was exciting. Just love the Golden Knights story -- always root for the underdog.

Just curious - what do you like about their story and why do you think they are underdogs. I ask because I only have my son’s opinion on the matter, and he hates the fact that LV got to cherrypick good players from other teams, and basically says they’re an all-star team because of how the expansion selection was done.

I haven’t followed hockey in a long time, so this is a sincere question.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
In the 90s, I was a Red Wings fan living in the DC area. I had the thrill of watching my team win the Stanley Cup on Capitals home ice. Those games were full of Red Wings fans. It's so strange to see how many people have embraced the Capitals.

paskatefan

Michael Weiss & his son Christopher must be ecstatic. Congrats to the Caps! What an amazing season for the Golden Knights, too! :cheer2::encore:

meggonzo

Banned Member
Just curious - what do you like about their story and why do you think they are underdogs. I ask because I only have my son’s opinion on the matter, and he hates the fact that LV got to cherrypick good players from other teams, and basically says they’re an all-star team because of how the expansion selection was done.

I haven’t followed hockey in a long time, so this is a sincere question.

The other teams were able to "protect" certain players from the expansion draft and could leave only a handful of players available to be selected, so I wouldn't consider it cherrypicking. I don't know that a lot of the players would be considered All-Stars on their former teams? It seems fair that they should get some good players... But I didn't follow it too closely so I'm certainly not an expert!

Rob

Beach Bum
CAPS!!!!!!

Coco, I walked up to the arena's box office in 1997-8 season and bought face value tickets for the Stanley Cup finals the day of the game. Nobody cared about hockey in DC back then. Different now!

Rob

Beach Bum
The other teams were able to "protect" certain players from the expansion draft and could leave only a handful of players available to be selected, so I wouldn't consider it cherrypicking. I don't know that a lot of the players would be considered All-Stars on their former teams? It seems fair that they should get some good players... But I didn't follow it too closely so I'm certainly not an expert!
In past expansion drafts, teams could protect 12 or 15 players. This time, they could only protect 9 or 11. So there was a better/larger pool on each team to draw from. That said, McPhee built the Capitals before he went to Vegas so the guy knows what to look for. Assuming Seattle gets a team and the same rules for 2020, we will see how they do.

Here are the rules for the 2017 expansion draft: https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-expansion-draft-rules/c-281010592

Rob

Beach Bum
The rest of the players are thinking "fine, you carry it, it weighs 35 lbs."
My friends had their photo taken with it yesterday morning at a season ticket holder event - I guess someone pried it away from Ovie and cleaned it off. He's probably sleeping till Tuesday (parade day).

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information