Sport24: Aleksandra Trusova leaving Tutberidze for Plushenko

lala

Yes she is primarily a jumper. But she probably needs the individual attention to give her something to stand out. You know a bit like Tuktamysheva's 'Elizabeth Taylor muumuu phase' etc. The whole being lumped in as '4A' didn't do someone like Trusova any favours. I would also say that Tutberidze is such a dominant force that she actually overshadows her own skaters to an extent.

I think that Trusova is much bigger scalp though. Particularly coming off the back of Tutberidze and Plushenko fighting about Zagitova. I expect that Plushenko really wanted to headhunt one of these girls and now he's got one. I think he needs to do something here for the sake of his pride.

Did you follow the whole story about Zagitova? Plushenko's first comment on the situation? I don't think that was a real attack. But it seems Eteri's coaching group thought it was! And their response was an attack against Plush and then he said what he said on Eteris. I found his words rude, too! But he didn't want Zagitova as his skater.

Did you heard Sofia Titova' name? Two months ago she won the Novice Russian National under Plushenko. She beat Eteri's pupils. One year ago she arrived to Plushenko from Eteri. She was on 23rd place in National with Eteri, probably didn't receive attention. She is 11 y.o.

SP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wkRS-2Ak4I
LP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BF3MTSSb-4Y

And I want to clear Sofia's coach is Plush and Dmitri Mikhaylov. Not Volkov. He has own group as Volkov has. But Plush works with every pupils of Angels of Plushenko Academy especially on their jumps.

Sofia has very good 3A attempt on the floor
off ice https://www.instagram.com/p/B-sFzSbpqn1/
on ice https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbV-J0fY-2s popular video
After the competition. Pupil and his coach https://www.instagram.com/p/B9bwnSnIzv9/

The question is what will be Plushenko's decision. It seems he didn't decide yet. Shows or a very responsible task.

edit: He decided.

starrynight

Did you follow the whole story about Zagitova? Plushenko's first comment on the situation? I don't think that was a real attack. But it seems Eteri's coaching group thought it was! And their response was an attack against Plush and then he said what he said on Eteris. I found his words rude, too!

I remember following it a bit but all I recall is a lot of :argue: :argue: between the two.

Logically if she leaves Sambo 70, she would also leave the school attached to the training centre wouldn't she?

rfisher

Let the skating begin
But at the same time Aleksandr Volkov is also working at Pluschenko’s school. And he is Trusova’s former coach and the one who actually taught her correct jumping technique in the very beginning.
Exactly. Plushenko is a coach in name only. He does show up for some of the juniors, but other than that he doesn't coach or do pretty much anything with any of the seniors. He's too busy doing his own shows. I think she'll be fine returning to the coach who gave her the basics to begin with. The only issue some skaters have is the rink is really small. Volkov is the coach and he's got a good group. I think she'll be fine. She's ambitious, has solid technique and wants to be The star and not A star.

dancing_on_ice

I'm glad that Sasha is leaving Sambo 70 because it's not a healthy training environment and she was badly mismanaged this season with the ridiculous jump layouts. I'm less enthusiastic that she's transferring to Plushenko instead, but she will probably get more individual attention there, which could help her get better programs and develop her PCS. As others have said, she's probably mostly just reuniting with her coach before Eteri. I'm curious as to how the media and Eteri are feeling about this.

Colonel Green

This is a big opportunity for zagitova if she actually wants to come back. Eteri will be willing and able to push for her again.
Would she? Zagitova would need, at a minimum, a technique overhaul to be competitive going forward. Eteri is a fundamentally forward-looking coach, she's got a whole lineup of rising younger skaters she's investing in for the future; I don't think losing Trusova would suddenly make her want to invest a lot of time in Zagitova.

happycamper2554

Would she? Zagitova would need, at a minimum, a technique overhaul to be competitive going forward. Eteri is a fundamentally forward-looking coach, she's got a whole lineup of rising younger skaters she's investing in for the future; I don't think losing Trusova would suddenly make her want to invest a lot of time in Zagitova.

At least for this season she has a spot avaliable for europeans, worlds. Plus she can still keep trusova medvedeva off the teams. I think that's enough for eteri.

mjb52

Wow! I too thought this was an April Fool's joke at first. Hope it goes well for Trusova. I also have some doubts about the Plush part of it, but if she's re-uniting with an old coach (and maybe is comfortable with Rozanov?) then it makes more sense. I think it is always going to be hard to have such closely-matched major contenders under one roof in the long term.

hanca

Values her privacy
How do skaters even switch coaches now anyway? I assume the rink is closed so what is the point in "switching"?
Probably over the phone or internet. The point of switching now is that Russian skaters have only a very limited time window to make official changes of coaching or transfer to different skating schools. By the end of May all changes need to be approved by the federation and it affects the funding. If Trusova wanted to switch later, she could get into trouble. (Some skaters in the past got away with switching any time, Gachinsky switched while everyone pretended that he didn’t switch to help him get away with it, and Lozko tried to switch at the wrong time and was punished by being withdrawn from the nationals where she qualified). So it seems it depends on who is the skater (how important for the federation the skater is), and who is the old coach and new coach (which of them the federation want to keep happy). It also doesn’t hurt to get Tarasova on your side if someone wants to switch outside the time window.
I am guessing that the federation would not want to punish Trusova too hard because of her results, but then again they would not want to go against Tutberidze and if Tutberidze was upset about the switch, it is likely that they would be siding with Tutberidze against Trusova. So I think it was the necessary to switch now, if she decided to switch.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
If I were Tutberidze I would invest on Sinitsina or Guliakova switching to her rather than Zagitova coming back. Tutberidze only need one more skater for the next 2 seasons- Kostornaya and Scherbakova are still there, by 2022 Valieva will join them. The 2020/21 Tutberidze misses that 3rd spot and she needs someone who beats Trusova and Tuktamysheva (am writing Medvedeva out for this matter). Guliakova and Sinistina being younger and having a 3A (does Sinitsina? I think Guliakova does) have a better chance than Zagitova

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Would Guliakova switch? She had a good Nationals and might want to stay right where she is and see what more she can do there.

Colonel Green

At least for this season she has a spot avaliable for europeans, worlds. Plus she can still keep trusova medvedeva off the teams. I think that's enough for eteri.
That's the thing, it's unlikely that Zagitova could do that. She'd need the sort of revamp that takes time; she wouldn't realistically be in a position to block Trusova, who's still in her prime, or Medvedeva, who has been spending the last few years doing the process that Zagitova would only be starting.

Trusova's departure from Eteri's school creates essentially a one-season vacancy. Making Zagitova Great Again would be a long-term project, not a short-term stopgap. It would honestly make more sense, if she was really looking for some sort of immediate result, to poach some other young senior and try to see what she could do on a rapid timetable.

starrynight

Agree. But I don't think he invited her or he wanted to be her coach. You can't show one sentence to prove that.

I can't even remember ... I might be imagining this... but wasn't there some suggestion that Plushenko wanted Zagitova to train with him?

EDIT: https://www.tellerreport.com/sports/2019-12-15---plushenko-responded-to-tutberidze’s-charge-of-trying-to-lure-zagitova-.SyOE0Zc7RH.html

That's what I'm thinking of. I think Tutberidze accused Plushenko of trying to lure Zagitova to train with him. Then Plushenko denied it, but hinted that he had the resources to do so if he wished.

hanca

Values her privacy
Would Guliakova switch? She had a good Nationals and might want to stay right where she is and see what more she can do there.
I don’t think she would. Mishin doesn’t have that many top skaters and she will get with him much more attention than she would get in Tutberidze’s group, where she would be the least successful skater among all those stars.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
If I were Tutberidze I would invest on Sinitsina or Guliakova switching to her rather than Zagitova coming back. Tutberidze only need one more skater for the next 2 seasons- Kostornaya and Scherbakova are still there, by 2022 Valieva will join them. The 2020/21 Tutberidze misses that 3rd spot and she needs someone who beats Trusova and Tuktamysheva (am writing Medvedeva out for this matter). Guliakova and Sinistina being younger and having a 3A (does Sinitsina? I think Guliakova does) have a better chance than Zagitova
Panova might not be so happy about Sinitsina being invested in by Tutberidze unless she's switched too? :lol:

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
More news :watch:
Sergei Rozanov also switched from Tutberidze to Pluschenko. He mainly coached novices and juniors in Tutberidze’s group
The link only shows his instagram and I can't find where it's written that he moved to Plushenko?

I kinda assume his leaving Sambo will eventually give bigger impact to Eteri's factory than Sasha's moving to Plushenko. Just wow. On the other hand, Sasha's move look more secure if Rozanov has moved to Plushenko's rink since Sasha can have a technical coach who she worked with in Eteri's group where she got quads in her arsenal.

Colonel Green

:rofl: at Sport24's photo choice:

pdXndBA.png

hanca

Values her privacy
That's the thing, it's unlikely that Zagitova could do that. She'd need the sort of revamp that takes time; she wouldn't realistically be in a position to block Trusova, who's still in her prime, or Medvedeva, who has been spending the last few years doing the process that Zagitova would only be starting.

Trusova's departure from Eteri's school creates essentially a one-season vacancy. Making Zagitova Great Again would be a long-term project, not a short-term stopgap. It would honestly make more sense, if she was really looking for some sort of immediate result, to poach some other young senior and try to see what she could do on a rapid timetable.
I don’t think Zagitova needs such a huge revamp. I think making Zagitova great again would not be such a long term project as you imply. Look at the post Olympic worlds where Zagitova was a mess, and the following season she won the worlds. Even if she is a mess now, by next March she can be pretty decent and with her reputation, her GOE and PCS will be high enough to put her in the top three. She may not be beating Kostornaya or Scherbakova because she doesn’t have their technical content, but she could be getting the third place.

starrynight

Google translated extracts:

The boiling point was the fact that Anna Shcherbakova was the favorite in the group of the choreographer Daniil Gleichenhaus. According to rumors, one of the reasons for the departure of Yevgenia Medvedeva at the time was precisely Daniel, who devoted most of his time to the Olympics to Alina Zagitova. Trusova felt unnecessary in the Tutberidze group, as a result of which she began to decline, ”the source said.
and

As is known from sources, Tutberidze has been in the United States with a daughter for a couple of months and is not always in touch with students. Because of which, some of them began to get nervous. For example, doctor of the national team Philip Shvetsky noted that in conditions of self-isolation, Olympic champion Alina Zagitova often turns to him for advice.
For Trusova, this all the more became a problem, because she had long been worried that she was not given proper attention in the group. Another problem was the fact that Anna Shcherbakova became the favorite of the director of all the programs of the Tutberidze group Daniil Gleichengauz, and he did not hide the fact that he relies on her and devotes more individual time.
Although as much as that article wants to single out Gleichengauz, it's worth noting that Zagitova was his favourite and 'muse' but that still didn't prevent Zagitova from being overtaken.

Bigbird

It would be better if all involved didn't point the finger so much and just use the narrative of needing a different space, or cite personal reasons. Why hasn't Kostornaia left? Roganov has been training mostly babies, he will/may be a source of comfort for Trusova yes, but he'll need to prove himself all over again. During this crisis Eteri could only be with her daughter, there is nothing to do at this point but stay home and train as best you can as per the other girls, everybody will have to start from scratch. Plushenko has not impressed me much as a coach, but maybe this move will light a fire under him. We'll see.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
I don't really care who packs and leaves and who stays or even in its most basic form, who did what to whom.

I am, however, immensely grateful for any sort of skating news, and, a glorious bonus, the opportunity to ponder built in gender bias in Google Translate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information