SoCal Fires

Peaches LaTour

Spun Silver: what part of Santa Barbara does she live in? I worked, ironically, at the city fire department station on Carillo.

I am trying to get a feel for how close the fire is to both downtown areas: Ventura & Santa Barbara.

Spun Silver

Spun Silver: what part of Santa Barbara does she live in? I worked, ironically, at the city fire department station on Carillo.

I am trying to get a feel for how close the fire is to both downtown areas: Ventura & Santa Barbara.
I don't know the neighborhoods of SB but she lives very near a mountain (or big hill) on W Valerie St.

Peaches LaTour

Okay, I take that to mean West Valerio Street, Spun Silver. Thank you for your reply.

If this is the case, it is beyond sad. Ventura is small & sweet but Santa Barbara is one of the most lovely areas you could ever want to see.

Spun Silver

Okay, I take that to mean West Valerio Street, Spun Silver. Thank you for your reply.

If this is the case, it is beyond sad. Ventura is small & sweet but Santa Barbara is one of the most lovely areas you could ever want to see.
Autocorrect, sorry. She hasn't left yet FWIW.

Peaches LaTour

My friend's sister lives in Santa Barbara (downtown area) & was forced to evacuate last week. She has now been able to return home & found everything intact.
Fire is now 45% contained but still a long way to go.
All I want for Christmas is for this damn fire to be 100% contained and recovery to begin.

Winnipeg

I have a friend who lives in Arroyo Grande but I don't know if it is close to the fires?

So glad they are getting under control. Hats off to all those fighting the fires and volunteers too!!

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Arroyo Grande is north of where the fires are. I hope California smartens up here for the future. This has been a costly lesson.

Peaches LaTour

"Smartens up" in what respect? Nobody can control the winds that drives these fires and nobody can prevent the notorious droughts that plague Southern California and make it ripe for these fires.

I worked for the Santa Barbara City Fire Department and trust me when I say if there was a better or more effective manner in which to prevent fires of any kind, they would use it. Their fire prevention education, both formal or informal, is never ending.

The Thomas Fire now has the dubious distinction of being the worst fire in California history. Looks like 100% containment won't happen in 2017. My :(

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
"Smartens up" in what respect? Nobody can control the winds that drives these fires and nobody can prevent the notorious droughts that plague Southern California and make it ripe for these fires.

I worked for the Santa Barbara City Fire Department and trust me when I say if there was a better or more effective manner in which to prevent fires of any kind, they would use it. Their fire prevention education, both formal or informal, is never ending.

The Thomas Fire now has the dubious distinction of being the worst fire in California history. Looks like 100% containment won't happen in 2017. My :(
I am not talking about preventing fires, but preparing for them. During the drought years CA damn or reservoir was built, repaired or expanded. When the rains came last year gazillions of gallons of water went right out to the ocean.

Hills are not cleared. Dead trees are left to become tinder for fires. Homeless are allowed to make encampments in the hills where their cooking fires can and do cause huge fires (i.e. the 405 freeway was started by a cooking fire in a homeless encampment.)

Roads need to be repaired and widened for better egress in case of emergency. People need to stop pretending. I heard a couple interviewed on the news. They lost everything. They had to get up in the middle of the night and flee with just the clothes on their back. Did they not notice that there were fires coming their way?

If you are going to live in fire country be prepared. Have a plan, a go bag packed with a thumb drive with pictures of the things of value in your home, cash, whatever else you might need for a few days, or to use to rebuild.

I lived in Malibu for 20 years, and evacuated 3 times because of fires. My husband saved one house by being on the roof and putting out embers with a hose. (I do not recommend this.) And, could we, as a state, stop building more homes and importing more people until we can safely take care of the people we have?

BTW - my hats off to fire departments. They do a job that is beyond heroic, in conditions that are so dangerous.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information