Skate Canada 2022 Olympics selection criteria

Status
Not open for further replies.

litenkyckling

Who are L/B? J/R had a decent free at IDF, with some issues, but seemed to be on the upswing.

W/M haven't had any great results internationally either... so didn't have the backing because they don't have the scoring potential IMO.

Like, I just don't see how this is at all surprising. J/R didn't have any stellar results, but they are a new team, and were previously part of 2 other elite teams... And. yes, OFC J/R scores still have been better internationally than W/M, so that's your primary reason really
Apologies typo, I/B.

W/M suffered illness at the beginning of the season, so they lost out during the autumn part of the season.

It isn't surprising, but it's still infuriating and disappointing. Who cares what teams they were part of? That's history, they needed to be elite together, which they aren't? The point is that J/R have gotten away with reputation scoring despite not being a team that should have a reputation. It has been clear to everyone watching this season.

muffinplus

Apologies typo, I/B.

W/M suffered illness at the beginning of the season, so they lost out during the autumn part of the season.

It isn't surprising, but it's still infuriating and disappointing. Who cares what teams they were part of? That's history, they needed to be elite together, which they aren't? The point is that J/R have gotten away with reputation scoring despite not being a team that should have a reputation. It has been clear to everyone watching this season.

It's their first season together... they have shown some signs of improvement. As for who cares, I think what team they were part of does matter perception wise as to their potential. But even if you don't care about that, bottom line, is they have had better scores (whether you think they were held up or not this is factual...)

RoseRed

I really like Evelyn and Trennt, and I wish they were able to go for their sakes, but the outrage here from some people is really over the top. Nationals is one of the selection criteria, yes, but not the only one. Season's best is another one, and J/R had a 196.34 compared to 168.87 for W/M (more than 27 points better). Every score J/R have gotten since October is higher than W/M got here at Nationals. So to act as though all the pairs were equally bad in the fall season is just completely disingenuous. J/R's international results were much better than W/M's this season. That's a fact.

SC could have picked W/M if they wanted to, but picking J/R is justified based on the international results.

orbitz

I wonder why Vanessa's solo triples have been so wonky this season. I remember her 3t and 3s as both being very solid when she skated with Morgan. She looks to be in great shape this year. It can't be age that causing her to no longer be consistent on the jumps.

I hope she and Eric can put together 2 clean programs in Beijing to prove that they deserve the spot.

pat c

I wonder why Vanessa's solo triples have been so wonky this season. I remember her 3t and 3s as both being very solid when she skated with Morgan. She looks to be in great shape this year. It can't be age that causing her to no longer be consistent on the jumps.

I hope she and Eric can put together 2 clean programs in Beijing to prove that they deserve the spot.

Probably the rhythm in how they do their jumps. Hopefully, it will be better by olys. (just guessing)

pointbleu

Frankly, I expect this decision will come back to bite Skate Canada in the rear in the next quad. Either W/M stay in and wind up qualifying for Milan without any Olympic experience or they hang up their skates which leaves Canada in an even worse situation for Pairs than the currently pretty dire one they're in.
W/M fall season didn’t help them by any means. Had they had ok skates, they wouldn’t be in that position. They had few 😬 skates unfortunately.

Last edited:

Vase

Saying Evelyn had sickness hold her back at the beginning of the season, I recall this isn’t the first season Evelyn struggled with illness going into a competitive season, seems to me she prefers to hold back and skate at nationals. Definitely could’ve went out and skated ‘the Ontario hubs’ offered to show their consistency, maybe would’ve helped their case.

shuilee

Canada 4CC team is basically their team of Olympic alternates. Smart or dumb decision?

Women:
Gabrielle Daleman
Veronik Mallet
Alison Schumacher

Men:
Wesley Chiu
Corey Circelli
Joseph Phan

Pairs:
Matte / Ferland
Stellato / Deschamps
Walsh / Michaud

Ice dance:
Lauriault / Le Gac
Sales / Wamsteeker
Soucisse / Firus

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Canada 4CC team is basically their team of Olympic alternates. Smart or dumb decision?

Women:
Gabrielle Daleman
Veronik Mallet
Alison Schumacher

Men:
Wesley Chiu
Corey Circelli
Joseph Phan

Pairs:
Matte / Ferland
Stellato / Deschamps
Walsh / Michaud

Ice dance:
Lauriault / Le Gac
Sales / Wamsteeker
Soucisse / Firus
Where did you find that? I don't see it on the Skate Canada website.
I guess this answers the question about whether Lauriault and LeGac are eligible to skate for Canada now.

carriecmu0503

Women:
Gabrielle Daleman
Veronik Mallet
Alison Schumacher

Men:
Wesley Chiu
Corey Circelli
Joseph Phan

Pairs:
Matte / Ferland
Stellato / Deschamps
Walsh / Michaud

Ice dance:
Lauriault / Le Gac
Sales / Wamsteeker
Soucisse / Firus
In many (most)? case, Canada has no other option of who to send. How many other skaters in each discipline do they have who have the required minimum scores?

Stephanie

I’m most surprised at the men, since Chiu and Circelli are the obvious junior world team. Why not send other guys to 4CCs for the experience, world standing points, and chance to improve their season’s best score to boost their chances for a GP next season while at the same time protecting your Olympic alternates?

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I’m most surprised at the men, since Chiu and Circelli are the obvious junior world team. Why not send other guys to 4CCs for the experience, world standing points, and chance to improve their season’s best score to boost their chances for a GP next season while at the same time protecting your Olympic alternates?
Maybe Canada is potentially worried about World Juniors not happening and then those skaters getting nothing to set up for next year?

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
4CCs is a good 6 weeks before Jr Worlds. Those guys can easily do both and that's what I would expect.
Maybe Canada is potentially worried about World Juniors not happening and then those skaters getting nothing to set up for next year?
Could be but I think we'll be through the Omicron wave well in advance of Jr Worlds.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
In many (most)? case, Canada has no other option of who to send. How many other skaters in each discipline do they have who have the required minimum scores?
In pairs there's literally no one else. In women's they also have Pineault and Bausback; in dance there are Fabbri/Ayer and Lanaghan/Razgulajevs; and men there are Gogolev, Nguyen, Toman, Orzel, Clemens...

So there were other options; not making a commentary of whether this was the right choice or not.

Stephanie

4CCs is a good 6 weeks before Jr Worlds. Those guys can easily do both and that's what I would expect.

Could be but I think we'll be through the Omicron wave well in advance of Jr Worlds.
I expect Chiu and Circelli to do both too and I understand if they get good senior scores at 4CC's that can really boost their chances at GP's next year, it's just a bit risky.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Nam Nguyen did 4CC and jr worlds in 2014 so it's not unprecedented. I agree with letting Chiu and Circelli do 4CC. It's also a chance to get the worlds TES minimums too (I think they both lack them in one segment).

ETA Chartrand in 2014 and Schumacher in 2020 also did jr worlds and 4CC in the same season.

Last edited:

Colonel Green

Not exactly a lot of depth….
You’re talking about getting down to the 6-8 ranks in most disciplines, very few countries have that sort of depth in even one discipline, let alone all of them. And it makes no sense to keep your second tier twiddling their thumbs at home on the off-chance they’re needed as alternates when there’s an actual competition they could be attending.

sap5

There is so much moral outrage simply because people hate Radford/James for obvious reasons... scoring potential wise, they just have a higher ceiling than W/M, so this is not remotely controversial... and would have been justifiable even if they totally flopped the FS IMO. W/M just haven't made any case (other than this performance) to show they are going to be doing better internationally.
I’m surprised by how many within Skate Canada/alumni are openly hating this decision. Is that because J/R are hated for other reasons besides performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information