Skate Canada 2022 Olympics selection criteria

Status
Not open for further replies.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
It has been posted on their website.

https://skatecanada.ca/high-performance/resources/international-selection-criteria/ (Direct link to PDF below)

The HPDC will exercise discretion with regard to the relative weight and priority of the Selection
Criteria as well as other relevant factors deemed appropriate in their decision making process and
will take into account, in no specific order, the following criteria:
Ø Medalist at the 2021 ISU World Figure Skating Championships
Ø Placement and scores at the 2021 ISU World Figure Skating Championships
Ø Season best international score from the 2021-2022, ISU Grand Prix Series, Senior International events and /or ISU Grand Prix Final
Ø Demonstration of short and free skate international scores from the current season (2021/2022) for a potential placement in the top two flights at the 2022 Olympic Winter Games
Ø Placement and scores at the 2022 Canadian Tire National Figure Skating Championships
Ø Other relevant criteria deemed appropriate for selection
For the Olympics I don't ever recall them not going by rank order from nationals. Should be an interesting season!

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
It has been posted on their website.

https://skatecanada.ca/high-performance/resources/international-selection-criteria/ (Direct link to PDF below)

For the Olympics I don't ever recall them not going by rank order from nationals. Should be an interesting season!
Well, I would say this all but guarantees Gilles/Poirier, Fournier-Beaudry/Sorensen, Messing, and Moore-Towers/Marinaro spots on the Olympic team. It leaves the 3rd dance spot, the 2nd mens and pairs spots, and the lone women's slot up for grabs by who comes on strongest this season.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
It's interesting that the junior grand prix is not mentioned in the part about season best scores, so Ruiter's current score would not count. The pressure will be on when she makes her senior international debut.

Karen-W

It's interesting that the junior grand prix is not mentioned in the part about season best scores, so Ruiter's current score would not count. The pressure will be on when she makes her senior international debut.
I don't see any reason why the JGP scores and placements should be considered since junior programs have one less element than senior programs.

Colonel Green

I don't see any reason why the JGP scores and placements should be considered since junior programs have one less element than senior programs.
If anything that’s an argument for counting them — if your results are competitive despite having fewer elements, that’s surely a point in your favour.

Though one should also note that the last listed criterion is a blatant “we’ll do whatever the hell we want” clause.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Any thoughts on the Canadian team now that the grand prix series is over?

With TES minimums in mind (and no additional skaters/teams scheduled to compete internationally before nationals), this would be the athletes eligible for the Olympic team (only including skaters/teams competing this season; scores from 2019-2020 are also included per the ISU)

Men: Chiu, Circelli, Clements, Gogolev, Messing, Nguyen, Orzel, Phan, Sadovsky, Toman.

Women: Bausback, Daleman, Mallet, Pineault, Schizas, Schumacher

Pairs: James/Radford, Matte/Ferland, Moore-Towers/Marinaro, Walsh/Michaud (Stellato/Deschamps have them too but she's not a citizen, but they could make worlds/4CC)

Dance: Fabbri/Ayer, Fournier-Beaudry/Sorensen, Gilles/Poirier, Lajoie/Lagha, Lanaghan/Razgulajevs, Sales/Wamsteeker, Soucisse/Firus.

Seems the only senior skater to have competed internationally the last three seasons and not got the minimum score was Michelle Long who was only 0.05 shy of the short program minimum. Obviously she's not likely to be selected anyway but with two good skates at nationals she could have made the 4CC team (which have the same minimums as Olympics). I think the battle for the 4CC team could be more interesting than Olympics, assuming the Olympic team does not go (the 4CC selection rules on the Skate Canada website don't mention that explicitly as far as I can see - https://skatecanada.ca/wp-content/u...nada-ISU-Championships-Selection-Criteria.pdf - this link includes criteria for 4CC, jr worlds and worlds)

skategal

Bunny mama
Women: Schizas

Dance: Gillis/Poirier, Fournier-Beaudry/Sorensen, Lajoie/Lagha

Pairs: James/Radford, Moores-Towers/Marinaro

Men: Messing and ????? I’m hoping for Sadovsky but not confident in that at all. :lol:

Karen-W

Women - Schizas
Dance - Gilles/Poirier, Fournier-Beaudry/Sorensen, Lajoie/Lagha
Men - Messing and ??? whomever finishes 2nd at Nats of Chiu, Sadovsky or Nguyen
Pairs - James/Radford and ??? whomever finishes 2nd at Nats of Moore-Towers/Marinaro or Walsh/Michaud

None of Chiu, Sadosvsky or Nguyen have really established themselves as a front runner and both Roman & Nam have had some really bad competitions while Chiu has been steadier.

MT/M seem to be regressing - especially that 3twist - today's was the worst I've ever seen from them and it's never been a good element, but worse they just seem completely out of sorts when they're competing, especially in the FS; W/M - I feel like they might be able to put it together more completely by Nats than MT/M.

Winnipeg

I was very surprised at the regression of MT/M this past season. I wonder what gives? Something must have happened? They left out a lift at one event, and the last competition was pretty dismal.

Colonel Green

I was very surprised at the regression of MT/M this past season. I wonder what gives? Something must have happened? They left out a lift at one event, and the last competition was pretty dismal.
Michael has been struggling with back pain, and KMT was also injured last season multiple times.

screech

I think about 90% of the team is a lock, as everyone has stated above. The only true unknowns are the second pairs team (between MTM and W/M) and the second man. Since mens has always been my favourite event, I like that it's going to be a real competition. After his performance at Rostelecom, Roman has made sure to put his name there for consideration, as he has the highest GP placement of all the men, and second highest score (barely beaten by Keegan). But Canadians is always an unknown - it will either be a complete splatfest, or everyone will skate lights out.

When it comes to the team event, I think that they will likely use their top skater in each event - I don't foresee them choosing to swap between SP and FP. If we had a reliable second man, I would suggest swapping out there, since due to terrible scheduling the mens individual SP is the day after the mens FP in the Team event, however I don't think we have anyone else secure enough to help Canada get the bronze.

RoseRed

I think about 90% of the team is a lock, as everyone has stated above. The only true unknowns are the second pairs team (between MTM and W/M) and the second man. Since mens has always been my favourite event, I like that it's going to be a real competition. After his performance at Rostelecom, Roman has made sure to put his name there for consideration, as he has the highest GP placement of all the men, and second highest score (barely beaten by Keegan). But Canadians is always an unknown - it will either be a complete splatfest, or everyone will skate lights out.

When it comes to the team event, I think that they will likely use their top skater in each event - I don't foresee them choosing to swap between SP and FP. If we had a reliable second man, I would suggest swapping out there, since due to terrible scheduling the mens individual SP is the day after the mens FP in the Team event, however I don't think we have anyone else secure enough to help Canada get the bronze.
Roman has the highest score, just ahead of Keegan actually. Keegan's SB is 253.06 and Roman's is 253.8

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
Don’t know if has been discussed somewhere I’ll try to find out but will Eric and Vanessa petition? Do they have that in Canada? Will they try and be part of the two squad team?

Vase

Are they confident the Olympics are going ahead? Canada was the first country to withdrawal from the summer Olympics, will it happen again being that Canada seems to have some of the strictest guidelines just to live.

Karen-W

It's on! Oh, lovely... They're already setting this up by mentioning the padnemic.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Alpha order by last name; the woman's last name when it's pair/dance.

Karen-W

Frankly, I expect this decision will come back to bite Skate Canada in the rear in the next quad. Either W/M stay in and wind up qualifying for Milan without any Olympic experience or they hang up their skates which leaves Canada in an even worse situation for Pairs than the currently pretty dire one they're in.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
I think Walsh and Michaud had had a better fall season they would have been selected. They need to start performing better on the Grand Prix to be taken seriously IMO.
I was about to say this. It's not like Walsh/Michaud were super impressive in the fall and got left behind. This was pretty predictable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information