Skate Canada 2022 Olympics selection criteria

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
They went with the pairs team that had the highest international scores this year in short, free, and overall. I don't know why this is even remotely controversial.

I know me either. They’re seasoned veterans with higher grades of execution than any other teams aside from Kirsten and Michael. I mean I’m not a fan of the short program at all but if we’re gonna go by who’s going to score higher I think Canada federation did the right thing

_Lola_

They went with the pairs team that had the highest international scores this year in short, free, and overall. I don't know why this is even remotely controversial.
It's probably controversial on a sentimental level. Kirsten Moore-Towers and Meghan Duhamel are the strongest advocates of this opinion.

fsfann

Well, it’s controversial because a lot of people have decided that James/Radford are public enemy number ones.

I agree with the decision for what it’s worth.

For what it's worth.. I have been fully supportive of the J/R pairing this year. I was hopeful that they would rise to the occasion and perform well this year...but the reality is that they haven't. All of the pairs teams have had crappy seasons, until the Nationals when MTM and W/M both skated well.

I also HATE the fact that it is very likely that J/R pulled out so they had a better shot at getting the sympathy pick based on a slightly better season than the rest of the crappy skates of everyone else. It worked for them, and that kind of pisses me off...when other teams that had Covid competed.

shuilee

I hope KMT & Michael will do BOTH events in the Team Competition. There's no justification to split the SP and LP among the pairs. They deserve to do both if they want to win bronze in Team Competition. None of J&R's performance this season is anywhere close to MT&M at Nationals.

Quite frankly, Canada shouldn't split any of the events for the Team Event. Keegan, Maddie, Piper & Paul, KMT & Michael need to do both events if they have any chance of beating Japan or USA for a team medal.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
I hope KMT & Michael will do BOTH events in the Team Competition. There's no justification to split the SP and LP among the pairs. They deserve to do both if they want to win bronze in Team Competition. None of J&R's performance this season is anywhere close to MT&M at Nationals.

Quite frankly, Canada shouldn't split any of the events for the Team Event. Keegan, Maddie, Piper & Paul, KMT & Michael need to do both events if they have any chance of beating Japan or USA for a team medal.

Are spots for worlds 2023 determined at the Olympics or Worlds 2022 in France?
If they aren't determined at the Olympics that my gut instinct is J/R will be skating at least one portion of the team event.

skategal

Bunny mama
Are spots for worlds 2023 determined at the Olympics or Worlds 2022 in France?
If they aren't determined at the Olympics that my gut instinct is J/R will be skating at least one portion of the team event.
My gut instinct is that they were chosen because Skate Canada is planning to split the pairs for the TE.

I don’t think that is a good decision though.

Stephanie

For what it's worth.. I have been fully supportive of the J/R pairing this year. I was hopeful that they would rise to the occasion and perform well this year...but the reality is that they haven't. All of the pairs teams have had crappy seasons, until the Nationals when MTM and W/M both skated well.

I also HATE the fact that it is very likely that J/R pulled out so they had a better shot at getting the sympathy pick based on a slightly better season than the rest of the crappy skates of everyone else. It worked for them, and that kind of pisses me off...when other teams that had ********* competed.
It's also possible that SC (Slipchuk, etc.) told them to pull out and that the spot was safe (not saying that this would necessarily be fair to the other pairs, but just to say that the "fault/blame", if there is any, might not be with J/R.

Vase

I wasn’t a fan of J/R, I instantly felt bad for W/M when they became a team. I felt W/M worked hard for 4yrs and didn’t deserve this months before the Olympics.
But J/R did show improvements each time out just unfortunate they were hit with sickness at an important time. But their improvements won my vote for them going on the Olympic team.
I don’t feel I’ve saw much improvement or strong elements from W/M, but I do feel bad for them.

Last edited:

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Spots for worlds are determined at worlds...
Then they were definitely picked for the team event because there is no way in hell they are medal hopefuls in the pair event.
Here's hoping they finally show us all why they were so excited to skate together and so confident early on they had potential to be on an Olympic podium. Because that hasn't been evident at all in practice.

skategal

Bunny mama
Then they were definitely picked for the team event because there is no way in hell they are medal hopefuls in the pair event.
Here's hoping they finally show us all why they were so excited to skate together and so confident early on they had potential to be on an Olympic podium. Because that hasn't been evident at all in practice.
The thought that Eric is going to be able to make it through two SPs and two FPs at the Olympic Games after recovering from CV is optimistic.

I’m glad the team event is first.

Vase

I don’t know Deanna and Max could be ready for worlds. I’m not a huge fan but they seem feisty enough and I’m not sure we’ve saw the best of them just yet.
Im only not a fan cause I can’t get past Deanna known for yelling daily at her much ‘younger’ teammates to get out of the way, she maybe needs to train solo and show some respect.

litenkyckling

I don't think Canada will be getting a TE medal anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information