Skate Canada 2022 Olympics selection criteria

Status
Not open for further replies.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
I think we have a shot at the bronze though, no?

Russia is a lock for the gold...
US would be a contender...
Japan?
I would say Japan is a firm fave for bronze. Canada only has the advantage in ice dance over them from what I can see.

uandmfan

I hope all the alternates stay healthy and are ready to go in case another team is knocked out by a PCR test. At this point, who knows if JR will even be able to test negative and get on the plane. A negative rapid test does not equal a negative PCR test. I'm honestly nervous for all athletes.... fingers crossed everyone can stay healthy and test negative

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
That's the worst thing about this decision, to be honest. Canada is likely to finish 4th in the TE. So, where is the upside and good for them in the selection of J/R over W/M?
They may think that if J/R make a case for themselves in Beijing, and if a few key Pairs pull out of Worlds, that J/R and MT-M might earn three spots, but who knows.

manhn

Did ice stop being slippery? Anyways, what are the chances that none of the skaters in the team event will test positive?

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Did ice stop being slippery? Anyways, what are the chances that none of the skaters in the team event will test positive?
I don't see anyone suggesting the ice isn't slippery. But handicapping the event and making predictions, I, too, think that Japan has enough of a boost that they should be comfortably on the podium.

And just like other skaters could test positive, Schizas could do the same and there's no backup for her in that case. It's a risk for everyone.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Sure, but Japan is vulnerable in only having one eligible Pairs team. Every other contender for Team medals has options for every discipline.

manhn

So…..Canada has a reasonable chance at bronze? Japan’s grasp is not so firm?

tony

So…..Canada has a reasonable chance at bronze? Japan’s grasp is not so firm?
You could also make projections and see what you come up with. Nothing's over until it's over and no one knows what will happen. Georgia 'could' win bronze.

muffinplus

There is so much moral outrage simply because people hate Radford/James for obvious reasons... scoring potential wise, they just have a higher ceiling than W/M, so this is not remotely controversial... and would have been justifiable even if they totally flopped the FS IMO. W/M just haven't made any case (other than this performance) to show they are going to be doing better internationally.

Last edited:

danafan

Canadian ladies ĂĽber
You could also make projections and see what you come up with. Nothing's over until it's over and no one knows what will happen. Georgia 'could' win bronze.
I'm not even convinced Canada will qualify for the free in the team event and I think Georgia could play spoiler there in 3 of the 4 disciplines.

litenkyckling

There is so moral outrage simply because people hate Radford/James for obvious reasons... scoring potential wise, they just have a higher ceiling than W/M, so this is not remotely controversial... and would have been justifiable even if they totally flopped the FS IMO. W/M just haven't made any case (other than this performance) to show they are going to be doing better internationally.
J/R don't have much scoring potential - they've been propped up score wise this season after some horrifically bad skates.

tony

I'm not even convinced Canada will qualify for the free in the team event and I think Georgia could play spoiler there in 3 of the 4 disciplines.
I think there's potential for them getting into the final 5 and possibly helping Japan inch closer to silver, absolutely. I talked about it in one of the team event threads, but I still think Russia/USA/Japan will end up on the podium.

China only has Boyang for men and that means, as a really, really outside contender in the individual event (I know not realistically, but when the jumps are on..) he's going 4 times if they make the LP. I wonder if they really even want to make the Final when they almost surely won't medal.

muffinplus

J/R don't have much scoring potential - they've been propped up score wise this season after some horrifically bad skates.
More than W/M regardless. 🤷 They did have a decent skate at IDF other than that lift .. it wasn't all horrifically bad IIRC? Far from stellar sure, but not totally unexpected from a first season...

litenkyckling

More than W/M regardless. 🤷 They did have a decent skate at IDF other than that lift .. it wasn't all horrifically bad IIRC? Far from stellar sure, but not totally unexpected from a first season...
partly because W/M have never had fed backing, that much is abundantly clear.

We must have been watching a different event at IdF. L/B had better scores than they did when they were competing. Skate Canada had to put them on the team because they prematurely pushed them from the minute they announced, and clearly thought that they would be something that they are not.

muffinplus

partly because W/M have never had fed backing, that much is abundantly clear.

We must have been watching a different event at IdF. L/B had better scores than they did when they were competing. Skate Canada had to put them on the team because they prematurely pushed them from the minute they announced, and clearly thought that they would be something that they are not.
Who are L/B? J/R had a decent free at IDF, with some issues, but seemed to be on the upswing.

W/M haven't had any great results internationally either... so didn't have the backing because they don't have the scoring potential IMO.

Like, I just don't see how this is at all surprising. J/R didn't have any stellar results, but they are a new team, and were previously part of 2 other elite teams... And. yes, OFC J/R scores still have been better internationally than W/M, so that's your primary reason really

Last edited:

Seerek

I think if Walsh and Michaud had had a better fall season they would have been selected. They need to start performing better on the Grand Prix to be taken seriously IMO.

Evelyn's illness was a factor at Skate America.

Even with that taken into consideration, I still think Evelyn/Trent would have been selected for Beijing had they not finished 25 pts+ back of MT/M overall at nationals (at least breaking 60 TES in the free skate)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information