Skate America 2018 goes back to Everett, Washington

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I have finalized the Best Western Cascadia for two nights - Fri. Sat. It is just 0.5 mile from the arena. I think there may be many fans walking back that way after the last skate.

Sylvia

TBD
Amtrak questions:

Do I need a reservation on Amtrak or do I just go to the ticket window, buy a ticket and sit anywhere?
Since Everett to Seattle is a short trip, I guess you could just buy a ticket at the station. Ticket buying options: https://www.amtrak.com/planning-booking/tickets-reservations/purchase-train-tickets.html
Everett, WA station info: https://www.amtrak.com/stations/evr

Do they allow suitcases (bigger than carry on) on board? Or would I need to check mine before boarding and pick it up (i side the station) when I get to my station ? I will be going from Everett to Seattle.
https://www.amtrak.com/onboard/baggage-policy.html

Last edited:

shoottheduck

Hi Everyone! I'm new here and super excited to watch my first grand prix event! How does watching practices work if we have an All-Event ticket? I read that there's no re-entry. Can we still go in and out for practices?

Sylvia

TBD
Hi Everyone! I'm new here and super excited to watch my first grand prix event! How does watching practices work if we have an All-Event ticket? I read that there's no re-entry. Can we still go in and out for practices?
I would ask an arena staff person before you leave the arena the first time. I would think showing your practice pass will be able to get you in and out of the area during the practices.

Arena policies are listed here: http://www.angelofthewindsarena.com/ArenaInfo/RulesProhibitedItems.ashx?p=1144

I hope you have a great time! :)

Sylvia

TBD
USFS' press release with info about Skate America's TV commentators and the Bridgestone Ice Desk: http://www.usfsa.org/story?id=91872&type=media
Excerpts:
Terry Gannon will handle play-by-play responsibilities for the men’s and ladies competition and will be joined by 1998 Olympic gold medalist Tara Lipinski, three-time U.S. champion Johnny Weir and reporter Andrea Joyce. Gannon and 2006 Olympic silver medalist Tanith White will call the action for the pairs free skate and free dance segments, while Joyce and White will commentate on the pairs short program and rhythm dance events.
The Bridgestone Ice Desk will stream live from Everett on U.S. Figure Skating’s Facebook and YouTube. Nick McCarvel will host the coverage with analysts Michael Weiss (three-time U.S. men’s champion), Brooke Castile (2007 U.S. pairs champion) and Sinead Kerr (seven-time British ice dance champion) joining for commentary.

Last edited:

Cayuse

So happy for you to see your first Grand Prix event! Practices are great! You can sit anywhere you want (especially helpful if you like to watch the dance choreography from the judges' side). Some people collect autographs at the conclusion of a practice session. There is usually one coffee/food stall open, but NOT always. The arena is usually colder with so few people in it. Usually, you have to get a stamp when you exit to be able to re-enter (or get your ticket scanned out and then scanned in again). I'll be one of the few attending the dance practices. :)

manhn

I got an email about encouraging attendees to use social media, and to listen to Skate Radio on the Ice Network app (can non-Americans get this app?). So, can I assume WiFi is available in the arena?

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
USFS' press release with info about Skate America's TV commentators and the Bridgestone Ice Desk: http://www.usfsa.org/story?id=91872&type=media
Excerpts:

YAY for Tanith on pairs AND dance! Wish Charlie and John C were back on the IceDesk (and Tanith, but I know she can only do so much lol). It's too bad they couldn't get Charlie and Ben on there because they worked so well with each other during the Olympics late night show.

PeterG

Anyone know the parking rates at the arena?

The e-mails that I've received mentioned thousands of parking spots onsite and around the area of the arena. I think the world "complimentary" was used before parking, which I'm taking as free. Would be nice, but I've been saving up American coins, so I will be able to afford five dollar a day parking which I will pay with pennies and nickles and dimes. :)

I may still need my winter jacket. It may be cold :)

Yes, it will probably be cold in the arena. But then you will have to lug your winter jacket around for wherever you walk in the area.

I think there may be many fans walking back that way after the last skate.

There might be a SWARM of people walking that way!

How does watching practices work if we have an All-Event ticket? I read that there's no re-entry. Can we still go in and out for practices?

The wording in the e-mail sounded rather strict. NO RE-ENTRY once you leave the building. I've never been to an event that did not allow re-entry, either with your ticket or a hand stamp. Maybe they will be more lenient at the arena than the e-mail states. Something to ask about when entering the arena, for sure.

I got an email about encouraging attendees to use social media, and to listen to Skate Radio on the Ice Network app (can non-Americans get this app?). So, can I assume WiFi is available in the arena?

I sure hope so. I found the wifi at last year's Canadian Nationals to be really good!

aftershocks

Banned Member
The e-mails that I've received mentioned thousands of parking spots onsite and around the area of the arena. I think the world "complimentary" was used before parking, which I'm taking as free. Would be nice, but I've been saving up American coins, so I will be able to afford five dollar a day parking which I will pay with pennies and nickles and dimes. :)

Have fun PeterG! I hope you have a great seat and accumulate lasting memories of seeing all the skaters live!

Dee2e

Yes, it will probably be cold in the arena. But then you will have to lug your winter jacket around for wherever you walk in the area.

There might be a SWARM of people walking that way!

The wording in the e-mail sounded rather strict. NO RE-ENTRY once you leave the building. I've never been to an event that did not allow re-entry, either with your ticket or a hand stamp. Maybe they will be more lenient at the arena than the e-mail states. Something to ask about when entering the arena, for sure.

I sure hope so. I found the wifi at last year's Canadian Nationals to be really good!

Thanks for the comments on parking. I'm handicapped. I need to park as close as possible. At least it's free for the weekends. Thank you.

Debbie S

I would assume that yes, there is WiFi in the arena. Yay for the return of Skate Radio, but did they actually say "Ice Network app", b/c I thought IN was gone in all forms. Or do they mean the channel that was normally the IN channel on the current radios? (I think it was C?)

Glad to see the Ice Desk lives! Hopefully no buffering.

mollymgr

YAY for Tanith on pairs AND dance! Wish Charlie and John C were back on the IceDesk (and Tanith, but I know she can only do so much lol). It's too bad they couldn't get Charlie and Ben on there because they worked so well with each other during the Olympics late night show.
I wonder who is covering the Olympic Channel commentary.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
OMG, Starr and Derrick are sitting next to me in a sushi bar. Just so happened to look up and over! :D

LOL, this is where the fun begins..

I say go to the practices... that is where you will see skaters, coaches in the stands close up with not a lot of other people around. Its where I got to chit chat with Nikodinov and get photos with her, Joubert, Belbin, Agosto, Peter T, Tiffany Steigler, Julia Seb, Miki, Frank Carroll, Van der Perren, and on and on...

OH, and have NO shame!!!! Lord knows I don't.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
The Top Ice Skaters In America Will Compete In Downtown Everett This Weekend | MYEVERETTNEWS.com

https://myeverettnews.com/2018/10/1...ill-compete-in-downtown-everett-this-weekend/

Ten years ago attendance records were broken when Skate America came to Everett. This year the best skaters in the country are back. Here’s everything you need to know about the 2018 Skate America in town this weekend.

ALSO, start orders are going up! Yay!!!!

http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1819/gpusa2018/

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Update- I posted the details in the other thread in K&C.

I will be at the Delta Marriott, not at the Best Western Cascadia. I am sad about it but it was my mistake that cost me a lot of money.

jdw715

I'll be there Friday. What policies are enforced? Such as external food & water. Camera/Camcorder? Any restrictions on backpacks/camera bags? How about re-admission?

DobrinFan

I'll be there Friday. What policies are enforced? Such as external food & water. Camera/Camcorder? Any restrictions on backpacks/camera bags? How about re-admission?

There is a big sign on the window stating no re-entry https://2qibqm39xjt6q46gf1rwo2g1-wp...L-gallery-L1-Angel-ofWindsSign-EDH-180316.jpg

It says what you cannot bring in if you make the pic larger. My DSLR camera was fine.

Here's the webpage stating the same
m.angelofthewindsarena.com/arena-policies/

Last edited:

PeterG

Just posted practises report in skate America forum. Some general stuff about the arena:

No wifi.

Rink is cooler in some spots...wore Jean jacket over tshirt and button up shirt then added a jacket later on top. In another section I wore neither jacket.

re entry- I asked about barcodes scanned when we leave then return...apparently not. Hand stamp for re entry? No. Apparently you have to line up at guest services and get special permission to leave them come back. My guess is it is this strict so people buy the very expensive rink food instead of walking two blocks to get subway, pizza, McDonalds, kfc, and about four other close, quick and inexpensive food choices.

There were only 200 or so people watching the skating. I heard one staff say to a woman that he was going to have to check her bag...AGAIN. (They were being lenient today...only for practise sessions...with re entry). Sounds like they're being strict. Less so at busy times? We'll see. I could have had items in my jacket pockets and I sailed right through.

Not sure about camcorders but I saw lots of people taking photos. Email sent the other day said NO to recording any video. I think I saw a woman watching video filmed on her phone though.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Is there a limit on bags? I hope to carry my purse, a tote and a camera. I hope they don't limit us to just one bag (it will be searched of course).

DobrinFan

Is there a limit on bags? I hope to carry my purse, a tote and a camera. I hope they don't limit us to just one bag (it will be searched of course).

I had 2 (purse and camera bag) and the guy didn't say anything about it.

PeterG

Parking. I parked right next to the arena, paying 9$ for six hours. Had to use a restroom!! That lot is tiny though and will fill up QUICK on other days. Didnt see a parkade as I drove down Hewett after leaving the arena. Will hunt more tomorrow. Had a vague memory of free street parking about five to six blocks south of the arena if you are a cheapskate like me and don't mind walking. :D

Have no idea. I wouldn't push your luck though. I'm guessing leaving all three at your hotel and instead taking just one jacket (with deep pockets) is out of the question? :lol:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Parking. I parked right next to the arena, paying 9$ for six hours. Had to use a restroom!! That lot is tiny though and will fill up QUICK on other days. Didnt see a parkade as I drove down Hewett after leaving the arena. Will hunt more tomorrow. Had a vague memory of free street parking about five to six blocks south of the arena if you are a cheapskate like me and don't mind walking. :D

Have no idea. I wouldn't push your luck though. I'm guessing leaving all three at your hotel and instead taking just one jacket (with deep pockets) is out of the question? :lol:

No way I can leave all three at the hotel. At the very least I need my purse. 😀

jdw715

Have any meet-ups been planned?

Also, forgot to ask about outlets in the Arena. Any near the seats?

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Since Everett to Seattle is a short trip, I guess you could just buy a ticket at the station. Ticket buying options: https://www.amtrak.com/planning-booking/tickets-reservations/purchase-train-tickets.html
Everett, WA station info: https://www.amtrak.com/stations/evr

https://www.amtrak.com/onboard/baggage-policy.html

It seems they have buses going to Seattle from Everett. I am ok with either a bus or a train.

Not sure if it is the same location for the buses and the trains. I am wondering if I should make reservations? There will be many people taking the train or the bus to Seattle, on their way to the airport.
So perhaps it is a good idea to make a reservation.

I am skipping the exhibitions, so I can go see my relatives after the ladies competition is over. I could take the bus leaving at 4:20 pm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information