Shoma is going coachless this season

aftershocks

Banned Member
And jump coach seems an odd choice for him, given that he was such as artistic skater.

I personally never thought Takeshi Honda was particularly superior artistically. He was very good technically and quite explosive with his jumping ability. In terms of artistry, he was fine, but not necessarily better than the best artists. He grew aesthetically as he matured:

MR-FAN

Kostner Softie
This is never, ever, EVER a good decision. I hope he proves me wrong but UGH.

Japanfan

I personally never thought Takeshi Honda was particularly superior artistically. He was very good technically and quite explosive with his jumping ability. In terms of artistry, he was fine, but not necessarily better than the best artists. He grew aesthetically as he matured:

I thought his Don Quixote SP at the 2002 Olympics was such an amazingly fluid and musical performance. And also joyful. Such is the standard by which I measure Takeshi Honda (certainly not by 'The Mummy', with the toilet paper costume :eek:)

Sylvia

TBD
Thank you to @rosewood for translating this article and posting in Uno's fan thread on Monday:
(my rough translation)
"Eteri was a tough and kind coach. It was a very good experience," said Uno, "It's been a long time since the last time, probably since I was little, to train at the environment's pace and not at my own pace." It sounded the training was fruitful. Meanwhile, he plans to train in Chukyo University's home rink as well as go abroad. "I don't belong to any club. It makes me easy to go and see various places. The most important thing is what kind of determination I have in my mind," he explained the reason why he plans to train on his own this season.

One of the reasons why he left his long-time home club is "Coach Machiko [Yamada] suggested me to leave them as well. She also said our relationships had been like a family and it was the time to change the environments," he revealed that his teachers pushed his back to leave them. "Coach Mihoko [Higuchi] told me that she'll continue to be one of my biggest supporters from now on, too. I won't let my results down. Even if it's just one placement, I'll not let it down. I try my best to do so for Machiko-sensei and Mihoko-sensei."

Japanfan

I thought his Don Quixote SP at the 2002 Olympics was such an amazingly fluid and musical performance. And also joyful. Such is the standard by which I measure Takeshi Honda (certainly not by 'The Mummy', with the toilet paper costume )

Just remembered his Aranjuez (sp?) LP - I loved that one too.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
It's risky but also, if he's going to do this, it's better this season than next. If he gets a coach next year, they have a whole season to get used to each other before the Olympic season.

And he isn't really going coachless. He's just not having a main coach who oversees everything. He has a jump coach and he probably has other people he uses to bounce ideas off of as well.

It's also possible that this is the first step in moving into retirement and that we won't see him at the next Olympics at all. It probably depends on what happens this year and how he feels about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information