Sasha Cohen engaged, expecting a baby

soogar

I thought she just got divorced...

She was with this guy for years prior to her divorce. I guess they had a few years off but are now back together. Added old picture of them from 2014. She married the other guy Tom in 2017.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I didn't even know she had been married and divorced.

She's engaged?? She was with that guy before her first husband so I'm glad that she found her way back to him. They are a beautiful couple.

:rofl: Wow, what polar opposite reactions. It's impossible to know everything about what's going on in the private lives of retired skaters. But yeah, Sasha's first engagement and wedding was widely publicized and discussed on FSU. I guess you were MIA during that not-so-distant time, Winnipeg. That relationship seemed like it was for keeps and made-in-heaven, but it was whoops quite quickly after they tied the knot.

And soogar, you must be a Sasha-uber, if you know that she was with this new/old guy (Geoff Lieberthal) before meeting the future husband (Tom May) who swept her off her feet at a college alumni mixer, if I'm not mistaken. When I saw this news, I thought that Sasha was still with the older guy she dated after her quick divorce from her first husband (Tom). Hopefully, it's all smooth sailing ahead from now on for Sasha in the relationship arena.

soogar

:rofl: Wow, what polar opposite reactions. It's impossible to know everything about what's going on in the private lives of retired skaters. But yeah, Sasha's first engagement and wedding was widely publicized and discussed on FSU. I guess you were MIA during that not-so-distant time, Winnipeg. That relationship seemed like it was for keeps and made-in-heaven, but it was whoops quite quickly after they tied the knot.

And soogar, you must be a Sasha-uber, if you know that she was with this new/old guy (Geoff Lieberthal) before meeting the future husband (Tom May) who swept her off her feet at a college alumni mixer, if I'm not mistaken. When I saw this news, I thought that Sasha was still with the older guy she dated after her quick divorce from her first husband (Tom). Hopefully, it's all smooth sailing ahead from now on for Sasha in the relationship arena.

I followed Sasha for years on Instagram and remember when she first started dating this guy [Geoff] and how excited she was when they got together. I believe she was attending Columbia at the time and starting to phase to life outside skating. Of course, on my part, there is a bit of "fantasy" as well, because how amazing is it to live in Manhattan and go to college and have your own apartment and a beautiful rich boyfriend who takes you out to nice restaurants; so I lived vicariously though her posts. This man seemed to be guarded about his privacy so she only had a few posts with him, but she was usually baking/cooking in his kitchen.

I always thought she and this current guy were a beautifully matched couple, and never felt she and Tom fit together - at least appearance wise because I don't know any of these people.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I followed Sasha for years on Instagram and remember when she first started dating this guy [Geoff] and how excited she was when they got together. I believe she was attending Columbia at the time and starting to phase to life outside skating. Of course, on my part, there is a bit of "fantasy" as well, because how amazing is it to live in Manhattan and go to college and have your own apartment and a beautiful rich boyfriend who takes you out to nice restaurants; so I lived vicariously though her posts. This man seemed to be guarded about his privacy so she only had a few posts with him, but she was usually baking/cooking in his kitchen.

I always thought she and this current guy were a beautifully matched couple, and never felt she and Tom fit together - at least appearance wise because I don't know any of these people.

Ooooh, sounds so lovely and so romantic. :love: What field did her boyfriend/new fiance make his money in, or did he inherit wealth?

Fascinating though. Sasha's love life seems to inspire a romance novel, my gosh. :COP: 💔💞

soogar

Ooooh, sounds so lovely and so romantic. :love: What field did her boyfriend/new fiance make his money in, or did he inherit wealth?

Fascinating though. Sasha's love life seems to inspire a romance novel, my gosh. :COP: 💔💞

I believe he works in finance/real estate. His brother is married to Julianne Margulies (actress). Seems to be a combination of inherited and hard work. He is a very low key person. When they initially dated, she didn't tag him in her posts or mention his name. Now I guess he gave her tagging rights. Maybe that was what caused their initial rift.

I totally stanned her Columbia years. She had the cutest little dog and a really nice apartment. Really living the dream. So far from my reality. :p

He bought Kanye's place.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I believe he works in finance/real estate. His brother is married to Julianne Margulies (actress). Seems to be a combination of inherited and hard work. He is a very low key person. When they initially dated, she didn't tag him in her posts or mention his name. Now I guess he gave her tagging rights. Maybe that was what caused their initial rift.

I totally stanned her Columbia years. She had the cutest little dog and a really nice apartment. Really living the dream. So far from my reality. :p

He bought Kanye's place.

Aha, lives of the rich and famous. I can see a low-key guy not wanting his life to be too public when he starts dating a new lady, while Sasha was so used to being well-known in the skating world and sharing details about her life. They were probably at odds and had recently split when a friend of Sasha's invited her to the Harvard mixer (I believe it was) where she met Tom May (who also has a career in finance). May is not that far off from resembling Lieberthal somewhat. And Sasha and May seemed to hit it off quite quickly, moving in together after only four months of dating. In hindsight, I guess it was a whirlwind, rebound romance that suddenly fizzled. Sasha then began dating an older guy involved in television production, if I recall correctly.

It's nice that Sasha ultimately hooked back up with Lieberthal. And it does look in the engagement pic as if she could be pregnant, but it could also just be the angle and the way she's standing.

Julianne Margulies of ER and The Good Wife fame, eh. Geoff Lieberthal's brother, Keith, is an attorney... Julianne & Keith look good together too: :watch: 💘

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ Exactly. Figure skating is impossible to keep up with particularly when competition season starts. Forget about keeping up with the lives of retired skaters...

aftershocks

Banned Member
The Lieberthal brothers grew up in Ann Arbor. Their dad, Kenneth, was a professor at U of Michigan who went on to work for either Clinton or Obama. He is regarded as an expert on China.

Wow, interesting. I guess it was available info on Google. I didn't check any further than google-eyeing Keith who looks like Geoff's younger brother, but it's hard to tell their ages. Margulies has had a lot of great success in acting and she nabbed a handsome hubby too. :swoon: Ditto for Sasha, only her success has been in figure skating. Since Sasha is also very academic and intellectual, her new family's apparent smarts are right up her alley. Good luck to all the Cohen/ Lieberthal clan and in-laws. :)

soogar

The happy couple is expecting!

The article doesn’t mention Sasha’s name, but refers to her fiancé as an “expectant father.”

Best of luck to them both!

That's a beautiful place and they are going to have beautiful children! Their features work together.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
The happy couple is expecting!

The article doesn’t mention Sasha’s name, but refers to her fiancé as an “expectant father.”

Best of luck to them both!
The article said that the person moving out of the apartment is an expectant father and needs a larger place. Why do we think Sasha is going to be living there?

Sylvia

TBD
The exact wording in the article is:
“The clean lines, wide open spaces, natural woods and polished stone surfaces all combine to create a peaceful, ethereal vibe in the apartment,” says Lieberthal, an expectant father who will relocate to a larger family-oriented apartment.

ldec

Amazing interview, 100% recommended to everyone here to listen. Sasha talks in detail about her career and life beyond; it is fascinating not only to learn about what being an elite figure skater really is like but also how she overcame all the setbacks and how she found acceptance and closure at the end. A great podcast and one many here would find it easy to relate to probably (even if you are not a skater yourself).

Also, congratulations to her on the engagement and pregnancy, best wishes to both of them!

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I keep looking for a reference to news of Sasha being pregnant. Does anyone have a link to an announcement?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information