San Jose, California will host 2018 U.S. Nationals (Dec. 29, 2017 - Jan. 7, 2018)

Doggygirl

Banned Member
Thank you for your feedback! LOL it will definitely take me longer than 16 minutes! :D I'm glad to know it seems like a safe walk and there is activity around at night.

Quintuple

papillon d'amour
Wow, more frustration. I got assigned to 3 shifts I'm not available for at all, marked that I'm not available at those times in the first of three applications, and didn't randomly pick as alternatives in the shift scheduling tool. Then, the link to view my schedule brought me to ANOTHER registration page. I registered because I thought it was about actual accreditation, but ... it brought me to a page with a header about shift selection and nothing else. Just a blank background.

I'm worried that I'm going to show up and they're going to tell me Nationals is in Hoboken 3 weeks ago. What's up with the disorganization?

skatfan

Wow, more frustration...I'm worried that I'm going to show up and they're going to tell me Nationals is in Hoboken 3 weeks ago. What's up with the disorganization?

I wouldn't blame the local organizers. The USFSA is using them as the guinea pig for their (untested?) software management for events. Like the time to test it out live for the first time is when you're running your biggest event of the year.

Carolla5501

After all if USFSA screws up only fans are affected. (Sadly I think that that is their view. They would like us to give lots of money, but expect that we will be happy being told to “shut up and go away”)

Willin

Based on the meeting, it seemed like the LOC director was just as frustrated in USFSA using them as a guinea pig as we all are. Although she said them in an entirely unsarcastic tone, she did make rather unsubtle jokes about USFSa using the pre-Olympic Nationals of all things as a guinea pig. (Also their early e-mails made it sound like USFSA didn't even tell them that they were the guinea pigs until late November - one month before the event itself.) (Also USFSA made half the application form null and void with the sign up system, so they didn't seem to know what they wanted from the system either.)

Anita18

It depends!
Yeah I emailed both addresses to tell them I probably wouldn't be able to do one of my assigned shifts because it was supposed to be after men's LP (or so I thought)...but the men's LP will end 2 hours after I thought it would. :shuffle: No answer yet. Well I figure if nobody's manning the info desk at the hotel the night of the men's LP, the show will still go on. :p

A.H.Black

Check your ticket accounts. There is supposed to be a practice pass for January 1st available for download.
Please post if you can confirm this.

Lara111

Based on the meeting, it seemed like the LOC director was just as frustrated in USFSA using them as a guinea pig as we all are. Although she said them in an entirely unsarcastic tone, she did make rather unsubtle jokes about USFSa using the pre-Olympic Nationals of all things as a guinea pig. (Also their early e-mails made it sound like USFSA didn't even tell them that they were the guinea pigs until late November - one month before the event itself.) (Also USFSA made half the application form null and void with the sign up system, so they didn't seem to know what they wanted from the system either.)
Who is in charge of LOC?

MacMadame

Doing all the things
So yesterday I got an email from Hospitality showing me 3 assigned shifts, only 1 of which I actually signed up for and 1 of which was at the same time as another shift I had signed up for elsewhere. This is going to be a crazy week, isn't it? :shuffle:

Debbie S

I'm thinking after reading these posts about USFS's shiny new event mgmt system, that my club needs to stick with Entryeeze and Sign-up Genius for our club comp in June. :shuffle:

ETA: Called the number in the e-mail about the shuttle passes. I did purchase them at my mom's insistence but want to know the sched, etc. Got an office closed message Friday, yesterday, and today, so it appears they are closed for the week. Splendid. I left a message, maybe I'll get lucky and someone will be assigned to monitor the box. I can understand giving employees the holiday week off but when you've got a major event happening the following week, I think they could plan better than sending an e-mail at COB the day before with a contact number no one can reach.

Last edited:

myhoneyhoney

I received 2 additional shifts, so now have a total of three. At least I’m eligible for my ticket vouchers now. Which one should I attend?

BTW, I need to buy a black top! This is what happens when you’re a Lilly Girl. Everything is colorful or navy blue. :rofl:

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I received 2 additional shifts, so now have a total of three. At least I’m eligible for my ticket vouchers now. Which one should I attend?

BTW, I need to buy a black top! This is what happens when you’re a Lilly Girl. Everything is colorful or navy blue. :rofl:
Buy a Steve Jobs cotton turtleneck. You'll look like a local!

Anita18

It depends!
Crap, was it black tops? I haven't read my volunteer packet too carefully yet. :lol: I'll make it work, LOL!

There are a load of shifts available for transportation. I think my availability is entirely taken up by info desk shifts, but my mom did transportation back in 2012 and saw a ton of skaters. She adopted Alissa Czisny, since she was so sweet and responsible. :)

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU

Let’s go shopping together in San Jose! Haha. I need shirts too... and black pants...

acraven

An alert fan has found some very encouraging information about guest food and beverage on the SAP Center website FAQs page:

"For Sharks hockey and Family type events such as Disney On Ice and WWE, guest may bring in reasonable amounts of food and non-alcoholic beverages for their personal consumption. For all concerts, guests are not permitted to bring in any food or beverage. This does include bottled water."

She and I both think Nationals falls clearly in the "Sharks hockey and Family type events" category.

Here are the prohibitions [emphasis mine]:

"Cans, glass bottles, thermos-type containers, hard-sided coolers, balloons, laser pens, selfie-sticks, Go-Pros, masks, sealed or wrapped packages, noisemakers such as but not limited to air horns, iPads, flowers and gifts for a performing artist(s) are not allowed in SAP Center at San Jose. If the guest cannot dispose of prohibited items or return them to his/her vehicle, the guest can check in their items and pick them up when leaving. Guests, including law enforcement personnel not working in an official capacity, are prohibited from bringing weapons into SAP Center at San Jose. Weapons may not be checked in and include, but are not limited to, firearms, explosives, handcuffs, batons, stun guns, knives, tear gas and pepper spray. Guests with these items will not be allowed in the building and, if already in the building, will be required to take the item from the building or be evicted."

Given the security rules (below), I'm not sure I'd count on being able to walk in with a soft-sided cooler, but it appears that they are allowed.

Here's the policy on re-entry:

"SAP Center at San Jose has a general “no re-entry” policy during all events. Should a guest of the arena have an emergency or a legitimate purpose to exit and re-enter the building, the guest may obtain proper authorization and have their ticket scanned out. As a rule, only one guest per group is allowed to exit and re-enter."

I'm hoping they loosen that policy, but I think every event at SAP Center is ticketed separately, and we have practice passes to use for the intervening periods, so it may not be an issue. Just don't let them scan all the day's tickets before the first session.

Security [and bag] checks:

"SAP Center at San Jose conducts visual and bag security checks at every event. Higher levels of security checks including pat-downs, hand-wanding and the use of metal detectors are done at the discretion of management for other events. All large bags, large backpacks and suitcases will not be permitted in the building. Baby bags are permitted, but baby strollers and baby carriers are not permitted. SAP Center at San Jose offers the service of checking in baby strollers and carriers at all events."

There's also a FAQ on signs and banners (which are not totally prohibited). Check it if you plan to take a sign or banner to San Jose.

No ticket-reselling is permitted:

"The resale of tickets (“scalping”) is against the law per San Jose City Ordinance 6.54.200 and is not permitted in and around SAP Center at San Jose. Violators are subject to fine and confiscation of goods and cash. Tickets may not be resold for any amount, including below face value."

And no throwing of objects onto the ice [good luck with that]:

"For the safety of all, a guest who throws any object into the stands or onto the playing surface or stage will be evicted from SAP Center at San Jose. The only exception to this policy is when, during a hockey game, a player scores a “hat trick” (three goals in a game). In this case, throwing of hats is customary and is deemed appropriate (hats cannot be returned)."

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
There is information on the shuttle schedule now on the website under Transportation:

http://skatesanjose2018.com/

All-Session and Champions package ticket holders can now purchase a Spectator Shuttle pass to travel to events at SAP Center & Solar4America Ice at San Jose. A purchased Spectator Shuttle Pass is required to ride. No credentialed persons are allowed to ride the Spectator Shuttle.

Route: Spectator Hotel (Marriott San Jose and Fairmont San Jose) to SAP Center at San Jose (Jan.1-7) and Solar4America Ice at San Jose (Jan 1-Jan.3).

Frequency: Every 60 minutes as listed below:

1. Marriot - Departs at :00
  2. Fairmont - Departs at :10
  3. SAP Center - Departs at :20
  4. Solar4America Ice - Departs at :40
Beginning and End times below are subject to change.

Monday, Jan. 1 8:00AM - 9:40PM
Tuesday, Jan. 2 11:00AM - 10:40PM
Wednesday, Jan. 3 7:00AM - 10:40PM
Thursday, Jan. 4 9:00AM - 9:40PM
Friday, Jan. 5 12:00PM - 8:40PM
Saturday, Jan. 6 10:00AM - 8:40PM
Sunday, Jan. 7 9:00AM - 9:20PM

I think it's rather curious how they call the Marriott a "spectator hotel" when they didn't offer us a spectator rate to stay there. Would've been nice!

Sylvia

TBD
OMG, just ran into the one and only Ms Natalia Mishkutionok!!! All I could do was smile and say "Hello!" OYE
If you see her again, wish her daughter and her partner well in Juvenile Pairs. :) Official practice is tomorrow and they compete their FS on Friday (they are one of the medal contenders).

Check out this daughter-mother video from the local Dallas-Fort Worth TV station :D: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...enok-artur-dmitriev.95047/page-5#post-5221242

skatfan

So yesterday I got an email from Hospitality showing me 3 assigned shifts, only 1 of which I actually signed up for and 1 of which was at the same time as another shift I had signed up for elsewhere. This is going to be a crazy week, isn't it? :shuffle:

Yeah, it's going to be crazy. I got an email from the Info desk captain telling me that I hadn't gotten any shifts, so would I take some from her - I already had shifts during those times, and except for Accreditation, all my shifts are confirmed with the captains.

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
It's so crazy that US Nats technically starts this week and we're not even to the new year yet. It's even crazier that at this time next week, I'll actually be in San Jose watching the competition! I'm so excited to get out there...mainly to get out of the fridge that my hometown has become this week (its 7 F right now and dropping overnight...). :cheer: :cheer2: :biggrinbo :rollin:

barbarafan

It's so crazy that US Nats technically starts this week and we're not even to the new year yet. It's even crazier that at this time next week, I'll actually be in San Jose watching the competition! I'm so excited to get out there...mainly to get out of the fridge that my hometown has become this week (its 7 F right now and dropping overnight...). :cheer: :cheer2: :biggrinbo :rollin:

Have a wonderful time....would be nice to have that nice weather... right now it is minus 26 F in Mtl...bbbrrrrr

Carolla5501

It just kind of hit me that I need to get my act in gear. I am leaving after work on Tuesday and have a lot to do this weekend......This one snuck up on me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information