Ryan Lochte suspended for 14 months for doping violation

• Thread starter Deleted member 40371
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 40371

Olympic swimmer Ryan Lochte has been suspended for 14 months after receiving an intravenous infusion without a therapeutic use exemption, the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency announced Monday.
The 12-time Olympic medalist posted a photo of himself May 24 on social media receiving an IV infusion. USADA said Lochte cooperated with its investigation, which revealed he received permitted substances at an infusion clinic in a volume greater than 100 mL in a 12-hour period. He didn't have a therapeutic use exemption (TUE).

Lochete's problem again is himself, he posted the damn thing on social media.

Skittl1321

The problem isn't just that he posted it, but that he did it at all.
Cheating is cheating, whether or not you are caught.

Willin

Well, we knew he was dumb.

I assumed he was dumb and desperate enough to dope - his lifestyle is entirely due to his success at swimming, and in order to maintain said lifestyle he'll need to continue his success long past his prime. Based on his shenanigans I doubt he's managing his money well enough to continue partying/travelling/idiocy after swimming. I bet he'll end up broke. Despite his success, he also has to compete against Michael Phelps for post-retirement swimming endorsement deals, and considering that Michael Phelps is both more successful and more wholesome (it appears his earlier mistakes are mostly forgotten) Lochte's pretty much out of luck.

I didn't assume he'd be dumb enough to post doping to social media. That's truly a special level of stupid I didn't think even this man could achieve.

ETA: Though it doesn't seem to say what the infusion was. I wonder why the heck USADA would ban all infusions. Normal Saline infusions to help with dehydration should be perfectly legal.

ilovepaydays

OMFG. He just started competing again after his suspension from the Rio fiasco. And U.S. Nationals - which USA Swimming is using for the 2018 Pan Pacific and 2019 Worlds teams - is this week.

:wall:

Basically, USA Swimming is beyond done with Lochte. And it’s now like they don’t have a deep bench of swimmers who can be champions, anyway.

Last edited:

WillyElliot

Tanning one day, then wearing a winter coat today.
Well, we knew he was dumb.

ETA: Though it doesn't seem to say what the infusion was. I wonder why the heck USADA would ban all infusions. Normal Saline infusions to help with dehydration should be perfectly legal.

Yeah, I couldn't tell if it was anything more than saline. Some people get an infusion if they are volume depleted (GI issues or knowing him from an alcoholic binge....). I guess the fed is ready to be done with him. His antics early in his career were cute-ish if you go for the bad boy type, but he's far too old and unfortunately too dumb to continue this lifestyle.

D

Deleted member 40371

WADA has banned the method and hence USADA has to comply. The reason read was the method can be used as a masking agent. I believe they can get them at a hospital or clinic with a proper TUE

Willin

@Domshabfan That would made sense if it was a masking agent. I found the picture and it looks like one bag might be NS, but the other bag that was infusing had yellow fluid in it. I've never seen gatorade-colored IV fluid, so idk what the heck it is. Either way suspending him was definitely the best option.

@WillyElliot That was my first thought - that he had gone to an IV infusion clinic to get rid of a hangover! It's the new trendy hangover cure here (and the new trendy nursing job since you can make $$$ to do standard stuff on stable patients with regular 9-5 hours).

bardtoob

@IceAlisa ... The idiot got a Banana bag ... Probably not the first time, but he is apparently more stupid when sober than drunk.

That would made sense if it was a masking agent. I found the picture and it looks like one bag might be NS, but the other bag that was infusing had yellow fluid in it. I've never seen gatorade-colored IV fluid, so idk what the heck it is. Either way suspending him was definitely the best option.

Because you probably never worked in an Emergency Department at 3am :rolleyes:

... Why is the bag yellow? Well, because dissolved B vitamins are yellow. If you take an extra large dose of your multivitamin, then your urine will be the exact same color.

Last edited:

ilovepaydays

Now, I’m wondering what TYR is going to do. I thought it was a miracle they gave him a sponsorship deal. It was probably a lot less than the (reported) six figure base per year deal Lochte had from Speedo. If I remember correctly, Speedo dropped Lochte ASAP when the Rio fiasco happened.

I bet there was a clause in the contract where TYR could end the deal early for disciplinary actions or behavior that they view could hurt their brand.

D

Deleted member 40371

Now, I’m wondering what TYR is going to do. I thought it was a miracle they gave him a sponsorship deal. It was probably a lot less than the (reported) six figure base per year deal Lochte had from Speedo. If I remember correctly, Speedo dropped Lochte ASAP when the Rio fiasco happened.

I bet there was a clause in the contract where TYR could end the deal early for disciplinary actions or behavior that they view could hurt their brand.
TYR within hours of the announcement announced that they are keeping the sponsorship deal.
https://swimswam.com/tyr-sport-will-retain-ryan-lochte-in-light-of-14-month-suspension/

Willin

@ilovepaydays @Domshabfan This is both hilarious and somewhat depressing.

@IceAlisaBecause you probably never worked in an Emergency Department at 3am :rolleyes:

... Why is the bag yellow? Well, because dissolved B vitamins are yellow. If you take an extra large dose of your multivitamin, then your urine will be the exact same color.
Can't say I have. For my clinicals we did have a lot of people that needed vitamins, but we always gave them PO since it wasn't an emergency and they could do PO. When we needed potassium IV that's what the nurses joked about being a banana ("IV banana, STAT").

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I thought a banana bag was just an IV full of various vitamins. Didn't realize that it was yellow like a banana

vgerdes

Well, we knew he was dumb... I didn't assume he'd be dumb enough to post doping to social media. That's truly a special level of stupid I didn't think even this man could achieve.

This was basically my exact reaction. Does he actually have a brain? Or does he just have no idea how to use it?

Willin

@Aceon6 From what I understand, swimming is also a bigggg party sport with lots of drinking and other craziness from a young age. It's possible that he just takes that to an extreme and never grew out of it.

WillyElliot

Tanning one day, then wearing a winter coat today.
@Aceon6 From what I understand, swimming is also a bigggg party sport with lots of drinking and other craziness from a young age. It's possible that he just takes that to an extreme and never grew out of it.

Definitely. The swimmers were notorious stoners/drinkers in my high school.

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
I thought a banana bag was just an IV full of various vitamins. Didn't realize that it was yellow like a banana
A standard "banana bag" has dextrose, saline, thiamine, folate and multivitamins; it's the multi-vits that make it yellow. (from one who has had to mix my share working at a post hospital with no night time pharmacy)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information