Russia's flag out of Tokyo 2020 Olympics? What about Beijing 2022?

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
I do not trust them. They said innocent athletes would be allowed to compete in Korea, too. Bukin and Stolbova beg to differ. And they were not even told why.

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
I do not trust them. They said innocent athletes would be allowed to compete in Korea, too. Bukin and Stolbova beg to differ. And they were not even told why.

At least this time they have time on their side, they can get their names cleared before Worlds.
I feel that WADA will have to give explanations this time as it is very different rejecting an athlete for not being clean rather than simply not inviting them to compete as happened in South Korea.

TBH I am somewhat relieved, as I really thought it would be a blanket ban.
At least clean athletes can compete.

starrynight

No idea why a country the size of Russia with the talent pool it has and its resources would need state sponsored doping to begin with? Or wouldn't comply with the requirements of WADA? Why when it is causing so many problems for them?

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Some Russian officials quoted in various articles said that it's Old School officials/coaches/etc who are doing this. I guess they are used to doing this way and don't want to change.

As for why they doubled-down instead of cleaning house after the last Olympics, I suspect that was pride and a bit of arrogance.

caseyedwards

No idea why a country the size of Russia with the talent pool it has and its resources would need state sponsored doping to begin with? Or wouldn't comply with the requirements of WADA? Why when it is causing so many problems for them?
Sports is totally controlled by the state! So all sports is the state. Sports is patriotism. I mean there are leaders of sports who are also government ministers! So there is no separation! And you had the humiliation of Soviet and then Russian state collapse and sports being used to help the state. Nothing private about sochi. Sochi was government. The sports is government: if sports fail if an athlete doesn’t win gold government loses

but also localities in Russian only get funds for sports if they show results

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information