Russian women news & updates, 2021-22 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

reut

It isn't as if there aren't plenty of countries to which their skaters could emigrate where they likely won't suffer the indignity of standing in lines in migration centers. And they'll probably be able to continue living in a bubble of fellow Russian emigres so they don't have to even bother with learning the local language. It's just such a damn shame they won't be allowed to climb to the top of the medal stands representing Russia.
Or won't climb at all, because when representing Armenia or Georgia they won't get the usual ru bonus and will be treated "fairly".

Not that I expect that will stop the Russian media or skating insiders from celebrating them as their own regardless of the flag raised and anthem played.
Of course it won't. Ru media are talking only to ru skaters or those they can in any way claim as theirs. For example, for years, any Lambiel's success was credited to a few lessons he took from Mishin in summer camp.

Sylvia

TBD
"Alexandra [Trusova] made three more attempts [at the long jump], successively flying 3.94 meters, 4.10 meters and finally 4.19 meters. This is the standard for the second youth category and the gold TRP badge - despite the fact that, in order to avoid accidental injury, the skater performed jumps from a short run and landed on her feet."

ETA:
I keep seeing snippets of Kostornia doing pairs moves on her insta. Is this for real? Anyone know?
Looks like Kostornaia is just having some fun in shows (lift with Aliev off ice, also with Konstantin Gavrin, who skates professionally with Anastasia Martiusheva, along with a death spiral).

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
The well-known Russian figure skater, European champion and winner of the Grand Prix final Alena Kostornaia became the guest of the SE edition. And she was invited for an interview and it was conducted by our friends, the authors of the YouTube channel “Answer in a brotherly way”, young blogger brothers Andrey (16 years old) and Pavel (11 years old) Lapushkins, who will now take their first steps in classical journalism together with "SE".:
Machine translated excerpts:
- You said that Buyanova is very demanding. Is it really more demanding than Eteri Georgievna?
- Any coach is demanding of his athlete if he wants to get a result. Eteri Georgievna is a charismatic woman, at some point she starts to explode, and it comes very quickly. A thin line, when a person literally walks along a thread, is rubbed along the blade. Elena Germanovna will endure. I don't know how much we reworked the same pose with her. It seems that we stood with her for an hour and a half and did it. I have already managed to get tired a hundred times, be reborn like a phoenix and get tired again. And Elena Germanovna all this time monotonously tried to explain to me what they want from me. And it's not like I did something wrong on purpose. I really did not fully understand what they wanted from me at that moment. And now Eteri Georgievna at that moment would probably have exploded three times for sure. About the fact that I can not do the most simple, basic movements. Elena Germanovna calmly explained everything. Then, at some point, I stood up like a doll, so that she would move me herself, show me. But nothing, without shouting everything was decided. Everything is fine.

What do you think is your ideal coach?
“There is no perfect coach. Elena Germanovna suits me very well, I realized this almost immediately when I joined the group. The concept of "ideal coach" - it does not exist. We are all human and we all have our flaws. It does not happen that there are only positive qualities. Yes, and the same exactingness - after all, it can be understood in different ways. You can tell what a demanding person. And on another day, they just shout at you like that.
- Have you thought about changing the national team?
- No never. I never thought about it and never will, because I have determined my place for myself.

Was there a moment when you thought about ending your career?
— During quarantine, when we sat and did nothing. In the end, I got used to this routine, that I have lessons in the morning, then a tutor, and on weekends I go to the country. Happy running and jumping - for the first time I tried what it's like to live the life of an ordinary child. But at some point it became a little boring, lacking adrenaline, excitement, all the trips. Then I went out on the ice, re-ignited with desire.

- Do you want to become a coach?
“There has never been such a desire. If this is some kind of forced measure, then it is possible. But I hope that my life will be a completely different field of activity.

- Related to medicine?
Quite possibly. I can't imagine how it will turn out. I will try to enter the medical school, if I do, I will try to study. If I take these exams for twenty years and fail, then I will understand that this is not for me. I'll try myself in another area.

Nadya

:eek:Wow. Another one bites the dust. Guess we know where she stands with regard to the war and the bans.
One can disapprove of war AND the bans. Lord knows it's not like every invasion into every country triggers automatic bans for the athletes representing an invading party.

Nadya

Medvedeva should have just got an Armenian passport years ago.

Also suspect if she applied to immigrate to Canada when she was with Orser, she'd be sworn in by now.

Bigbird

Medvedeva should have just got an Armenian passport years ago.

Also suspect if she applied to immigrate to Canada when she was with Orser, she'd be sworn in by now.
And how would she do considering how injured she was? God bless the girls that leave the sport in one piece...

alexikeguchi

For me it is not a surprise at all. I am rather glad that finally a real Medvedeva shows up.

Yup. When people tell you who they are, believe them.

Yes, maybe it's not such a surprise. I remember before the 2018 Olympics when the IOC was considering a blanket ban on Russia due to doping, Medvedeva was one of the athletes tasked with convincing them to let all Russians without known positive tests compete. She definitely seems to have some skewed priorities.

Bigbird

Yes, maybe it's not such a surprise. I remember before the 2018 Olympics when the IOC was considering a blanket ban on Russia due to doping, Medvedeva was one of the athletes tasked with convincing them to let all Russians without known positive tests compete. She definitely seems to have some skewed priorities.
It's how athletes sre socialized, especially if skating is your only option. Many probably have the views.

feraina

I’m frankly surprised that LTA/WTA are not taking more heat that they’re stripping Wimbledon of ranking points because of the ban. And personally I support the ban both in skating and tennis. But it does show that there seem to be a lot of people out there who feel like the athletes are not at fault and they should be allowed to compete, and that excluding individual athletes due to their country of origin or political leadership is a form of prejudice that’s against the spirit of international sports.

Vagabond

I’m frankly surprised that LTA/WTA are not taking more heat that they’re stripping Wimbledon of ranking points because of the ban. And personally I support the ban both in skating and tennis. But it does show that there seem to be a lot of people out there who feel like the athletes are not at fault and they should be allowed to compete, and that excluding individual athletes due to their country of origin or political leadership is a form of prejudice that’s against the spirit of international sports.
There is a difference between figure skaters, who represent their national federations, and tennis players, who are independent professionals. The ISU ban is against the two federations; the Wimbledon ban is against individuals from specific countries, namely Russia and Belarus.

Last edited:

Nadya

Yes, what a weird priority - that athletes without a doping record should be able to compete.

Welcome to the age of "not yet guilty."

soogar

Why should tennis players from Russia be banned? Majority of them train outside the country and live in other countries like Monaco and the United States. Many of them were brought to other countries, especially before tennis became an Olympic sport. For example, Maria Sharapova went to Florida to train for tennis, as had Anna Kournikova. Even now, I can't say whether Russia has a top tennis program. Russian players don't seem to be overly represented compared to pros from other countries. Even though tennis receives medals, it still is not really considered that important an achievement compared to a grand slam title. When a tennis player wins a grand slam, it is more recognized as an individual achievement, rather than an country achievement. The only events that countries are represented in are Davis Cup and Fed Cup. In those events, it would have been more appropriate to ban a country.

reut

For me it is not a surprise at all. I am rather glad that finally a real Medvedeva shows up.
For me neither. But not because of her specifically, because I saw a few even worse tone deaf things from people who are smarter and whom I took as more decent human beings than her. And yet. I guess this is how the mind works, this is the way some people choose to deal with reality.

Last edited:

reut

Recent interview with Liza Tuktamysheva (English version): http://www.figureskating-online.com/l-tuktamysheva.html
Why do we report on Russian skaters and publish interviews with them in spite of the terrible war (which is even not allowed to be called war in Russia) in Ukraine? We believe that these horrible events are not the fault of the Russian people and we feel that the civil society in Russia should be strengthened and not excluded.

Good example to what I wrote just now.
upd: The statement above goes pretty well with this.

Last edited:

airgelaal

Even many Ukrainians who live in safe regions react differently to the war. Until rockets start flying overhead or loved ones die, there will be no understanding that this is scary and that ending the war should be the main priority.
Are they outraged that they are being banned for being russian? Then why are they not outraged that the russians are killing Ukrainians just because they are Ukrainians? Sports are more important than lives?
Why has no one turned to the one who makes the decisions? Why, as citizens of russia, do they not turn to their president? Of course, it is easier to be outraged by the world community than by the actions of one's own citizens.
Amazing people. When necessary, they are russian, and when not, they are only athletes.

Sylvia

TBD
She was preparing to compete at the 2018 Russian Championship, but also withdrew due to an injury. A couple of months later, she moved from Evgeny Rukavitsyn to Alexei Mishin and soon quietly ended her career - there were no official statements on this matter.
Now Alisa Fedichkina [age 20; link to her ISU bio] is a second-year student at the Lesgaft University - coaching. She trains children at the Start Ice school in Yubileiny - this is the school of Tatyana Nikolaevna Prokofieva.
In the first interview for RIA Novosti Sport after the end of her career, Fedichkina answers all the important questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information