Russian Ladies news & discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChelleC

Anti-quad activist
Has the RSF announced the worlds team? If not, we shouldn’t be jumping ahead. If Liza makes the team I will be very happy for her but I don’t believe this is a done deal. Two years ago she did better than Medvedeva the whole season, but after her illness she missed the nationals and they picked Medvedeva based on just one skate behind closed doors.
That skate was not behind closed doors. It was a Russian Cup Final. The video of it was in my Facebook memories recently. I'm certain that if you were to search YouTube you would be able to find it.

Japanfan

I mean Russia could have 8 of the top 10 in the world games in a lady's discipline and still only get 3 spot at a worlds or Olympics and that's laughable.
It's not laughable. It's fair. Again - World's is not a repeat of Russian Nationals.

Should Olympic hockey consist of nothing but Canada, U.S.A and Russia playing all the games, as dominant top three in the world? Belarus and other countries should get no chance to play, since the top three always beat them handily (not sure Belarus has a hockey team?

A bit boring, innit?

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
That skate was not behind closed doors. It was a Russian Cup Final. The video of it was in my Facebook memories recently. I'm certain that if you were to search YouTube you would be able to find it.
I thought the two performed in the presence of RSF members and even though Liza did a little better, they picked Zhenya for worlds.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
This. Her skating is sublime, and she deserves at least a Worlds Gold.
Not this year, my friend, not this year.

I think that Alena is done. No quads and no triple axel this year. In addition to that she lost all the political power due to leaving Eteri.
She should settle for B-internationals for the next couple of years and roles in Plushenko's shows.
She skates beautifully, yes, but no super-hard elements + mistakes = nope.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Ok.
It was still not fair to Liza To decide based on one competition while she had done very well throughout the season. Don’t get me wrong. I have been a fan of Zhenya Medvedeva for a long time. It just didn’t seem fair to me.

Last edited:

Scott512

It's not laughable. It's fair. Again - World's is not a repeat of Russian Nationals.

Should Olympic hockey consist of nothing but Canada, U.S.A and Russia playing all the games, as dominant top three in the world? Belarus and other countries should get no chance to play, since the top three always beat them handily (not sure Belarus has a hockey team?

A bit boring, innit?
It's not the same thing. Comparing a team sport with an individual sport does not work.

Figure skating has been a niche sport for decades because of the international skating Union not bringing it to the rest of the world as as happened with skiing tennis and golf. It is what it is but figure skating could be a lot better.

I mean skiing is not any less of a sport because it may not have an entrant from Lithuania for worlds or Olympics.

Last edited:

zoe111

I think that Alena is done. No quads and no triple axel this year. In addition to that she lost all the political power due to leaving Eteri.
She should settle for B-internationals for the next couple of years and roles in Plushenko's shows.
That is the most ridiculous statement ever. The girl has been terribly unwell. Even with no training time, no stamina, no good practice session or warmup, she was only 6 points off Liza for goodness sake. If she gets the triple axel back again next year, she's got just as much chance as the rest. She's beaten Scherbakova who landed 2 quads with those 3 axels. I would just wait and see.

hanca

Values her privacy

I think you are right. This season they have been giving her the benefit of doubt and were marking her relatively kindly (at times overlooking things that they wouldn’t overlook with, let’s say, Tsibinova or Nugumanova.) But this quiet support and goodwill will stop in the next season, as more skaters moves to seniors and seniors will become very overcrowded again. So unless she comes next season as strong as she was a year ago, ready to prove herself again and again, whatever she has now won’t be enough, even if she skated clean.

hanca

Values her privacy
That is the most ridiculous statement ever. The girl has been terribly unwell. Even with no training time, no stamina, no good practice session or warmup, she was only 6 points off Liza for goodness sake. If she gets the triple axel back again next year, she's got just as much chance as the rest. She's beaten Scherbakova who landed 2 quads with those 3 axels. I would just wait and see.
But I think it is not about who she beat in the past. There are three new Tutberidze’s girls moving to senior next season. Two of them have quads, and the third one (Usacheva) is being marked exactly the way Aliona was in the past, to make up for not having any quads. I am not going to start discussion whether she deserved those high PCS, bottom line is, with Scherbakova, Trusova, Usacheva, Khromykh and Valieva, it won’t be easy for Kostornaya to return even if she is in full strength. She lost political power (Pluschenko doesn’t have the same power with the federation as Tutberidze has) and therefore she will have to make it up with her skating. Less political power means smaller PCS and possibly a tiny bit smaller GOE, and being much harshly marked on things like right edges and underrotations. The only way to make up for this would be with a very high technical mark (the strategy Trusova has chosen), but that will be impossible for Kostornaya, without having any quads. So yes, I get she is young and she has all this time to get back, but in reality it will be close to impossible.

This Russian cup final has served very well for Tutberidze’s skater. By Trusova and Scherbakova not being there and Valieva faltering (which she can afford because her position is solid), Usacheva and Khromykh has shown that they can be counted on. Last year we would not imagine those girls beating any of 3A. This competition they solidified their position and within Russia they will now be counted to the complete top of Russian ladies. I wouldn’t be surprised if next season they will be beating Trusova.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!

Correct. This is a sport; not a “ballet on ice” show. Maybe Aleona can find a smaller federation. Move to a country where she can become its champ and represent them at a future Worlds in the run-up to 2026 Olympics?

Last edited:

love_skate2011

Banned Member
Correct. This is a sport; not a “ballet on ice” show. Maybe Aleona can find a smaller federation. Move to a country where she can become its champ and represent them at a future Worlds in the run-up to 2026 Olympics?
but small federations have no sway or political power
is Azerbiajan Skating federation still intact what about Belarus ? lol

love_skate2011

Banned Member
I think you are right. This season they have been giving her the benefit of doubt and were marking her relatively kindly (at times overlooking things that they wouldn’t overlook with, let’s say, Tsibinova or Nugumanova.) But this quiet support and goodwill will stop in the next season, as more skaters moves to seniors and seniors will become very overcrowded again. So unless she comes next season as strong as she was a year ago, ready to prove herself again and again, whatever she has now won’t be enough, even if she skated clean.
I think Kostornaia still has a last chance next year, That is if she gets back her triple axels and regains all her elements, but she may still need a quad. The next route she can go is Tuktamysheva, endure years of painful results but with her type of personality outbursts I dont think she has the guts of Tuk to stay that long in this sport, Trusova is gritty and I see a similar path from her like Tuk. Trusova will be skating for a long long time !!!

Marco

Didn't Kamila V also flunk the first Russian Cup of the season? It's fine though. She has nothing to lose here and is smart to try out a harder layout. The 3axels she did here are wonderful. Very ambitious for her to go for the 4sal now that she is quite ready with the 3axel. What is apparent tho is that once she starts to miss jumps, she leaves the program. Doesn't care about the music anymore (or even less than usual). Which is even more apparent for music that is as sensual and passionate as Bolero.

Maiia K has the skate of her life here but honestly her package is not very appealing. The music edit is horrible.

Daria U skates beautifully but I hate those hops that she does when she changes directions. I hope she can have a 3axel or quad next season because otherwise she will have a very hard road to make it out of Nationals.

Liza T has earned her world spot I feel. Somewhat freaky that she wins on PCS for the night. She does really need to work on those steps and spins.

Poor Alena K. Just not meant to be. She simply does not have the stamina which leads to those jump issues and elements downgrades towards the end. I don't feel this program is special in any way unfortunately. Give her some rest and let her focus on next season. It isn't just not having the 3axel. It's the energy and the confidence that's also lacking.

My favorite of the night is definitely Anna F. Like Daria U I don't think she can go anywhere without the big elements but her skating is just stunning to watch. I would have given her the highest PCS of the night. Perhaps she isn't that big a name nationally or internationally but those elements deserve as high GOEs as the other top girls have.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
but small federations have no sway or political power
is Azerbiajan Skating federation still intact what about Belarus ? lol
Moldovan national champ?! 😆

Anna Frolova - glad that someone above mentioned her. She deserves to be the Worlds team 1st alternate. She has two gorgeous-music programs, a tip-top physique, lovely packaging & strong elements.

Last edited:

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
Alena K only trained for 1/3 of the season and did remarkably well and I imagine if she wants a triple axel back and a quad she can work hard and do it, Elizaveta has proven that. Im good with all the worlds pick, seems very fair.
I really liked Anna F and I am excited to see how she develops her skills and jumping as she already has impressive artistry for a 14 year old.
I also saw glimpses of artistry with Maiia, shes my pick for olympic gold. Shes more physically mature than the other 14 year olds and I think has the most potential. She needs a good program though.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
I also saw glimpses of artistry with Maiia, shes my pick for olympic gold. Shes more physically mature than the other 14 year olds and I think has the most potential. She needs a good program though.
🤢 more like a fluke, a one hit wonder success rate jumping that quad. No way will she even go to the Olympics
lacks the "IT" factor, too generic, bland and plain pasty white.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
The last two years I've been really trying to understand how of all the girls Eteri would pick for her "three" each brith year for her team, why Maiia?!??! I told myself don't ever doubt Eteri, she knows her stuff. And WOW, they turned Maiia, who I never really saw much potential tbh is now a REAL member of TT!! She belongs! She won't ever be treated as the ugly stepsister and given tatters for costumes and glaringly awful programs. Imagine her pulling off that content with an excellent program?!?! She could be up there with an even better outside shot at the Olympics. Stranger things have happened.

Alli84

Alena's K/C was hard to watch. She's practically an adult and she's CRYING over a missed combo??? Come on, Alena, lighten up. If you actually want to become a neurosurgeon you need to keep things in perspective and not be so erratic and emotional. I wouldn't be surprised if she withdraws. She really looked like she was over it all after that missed combo, and didn't even try. No fighting spirit? Time to go home and rebuild for next season if she has the emotional capacity.
She wasn't crying over a missed combo. She was crying about her career possibly ending before it even had the chance to start.
"After today, there's no tomorrow" is one of the things she was heard saying in the kiss & cry.
She was predicted as the gold winner at 2020 Worlds, that was cancelled, she then had a horrible year on every level... And she knew that realistically, this might have been her only chance of even going to Worlds again.
So no, her reaction was not erratic in the least.

As for saying she has no fighting spirit... Are we talking about the same girl? The one who learned two full new programs in a few weeks, who's clearly still feeling the effects of illness, and despite that, still fought to deliver them as cleanly as she could? And... honestly... the end result was far from being as horrible as everyone made it out to be.

Alena K only trained for 1/3 of the season and did remarkably well and I imagine if she wants a triple axel back and a quad she can work hard and do it, Elizaveta has proven that.
Absolutely. Everyone keeps framing this as "Aliona has no quads". If her health permits, who's to say she's not gonna gain a quad or two in the next year, or even in the years after? Rika jumped her first quad at 18. Tuk got herself a quad toe (seen only in practice so far, sure, but still) at 24! Don't count Aliona out too fast...

zoe111

Huh? Unconscionably rude.
Agreed. There’s a lot of nastiness flying around about these girls after this event. All of them are good at some things and need work on others. Her skin colour is irrelevant. Maiia has time to work on presentation if she can make these jumps consistent just as Aliona has some time now to get back in form and go for the triple axel again and a quad.

svea

I am somehow divided over this issue and there are lots of different aspects to it.
While I have enjoyed watching the "Winter" SP, I agree that the LP by it´s music and concept doesn´t spark as much as both her this years and last years SP´s. Though I often found the ET girls programs to be rushed and they seldomly have drawn me in, I found that the "Angels" program suited her particularly well.

Also, I remember to think about AK as "over-scored" when she came up. While it was visible, that she has another approach and charisma than many of the other girls and had some, then more silent, moments of expressiveness, she got very high marks in most categories and was lucky enough to experience the judges good will, as others are momentarily.

To me, this is a tragedy not only for AK herself, but also for the sport and for athletes in general.
Would she have been given the marks appropriate for every element and segment at any time, the difference between her marks now and then wouldn´t be that big and she could make up for some technical mistakes by earning higher PCS.
Although she has been deserving high PCS, I am sure that she has more to give, but that can´t pay off decently by the measure of formerly already maximum PCS points. Even the less, if other skaters get the same PCS despite lower performance levels.

Plus: TES became a second instrument of manipulation: judging the very element itself objectively I have yet to understand after which criteria one can find such different qualities of execution in these fields, one has to expect regarding those TES: worlds apart. E.g. this weekend: If there´s someone being able to tell those TES apart, it´d be much appreciated.

It might be that AK, knowing about this "subjectivity" in especially russian figure skating and experiencing it at close quarters from both sides, is concerned not so much about getting a 3A back, but about politics.
I imagine things to look differently at non-domestic competitions. While from time to time one can rub one´s eyes at international competitions and judging tends to be politically influenced, it´s usually more objective and the point margins wouldn´t be that decent. It´s a great pity if she decides not to fight political windmills, but to move on in life. By judging as its usual officials, functionaries and judges are causing damage to the sport.

From a technical and sportive point of view: she is doing very smooth 3Lz+ combos with a running edge, jumping high 2As and so on. It´s part of sports and live that you build skills, get thrown back by illnesses, have to rebuild, shift focus to improve in other areas and then have to rework what seemed easy before....
I cannot see, why she should be done.

Quite the opposite.
Look at her, especially from 1:40 on. How she is looking towards the audience, connecting to them and the music and her skating. These are very rare qualities.

Personally I find this way of doing your sports "all in", with heart and soul, very sympathetic and got the impression that she´s fighting to find her way.
The artistic component is one reason to prefer figure skating over, let´s say ski jumping (what I also watch from time to time, don´t get me wrong, but....)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information