Russian Ladies news & discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexikeguchi

Well, today was not Kamila's day, but I think it is very smart to try the upgrade to a three quad program in a competition that doesn't matter for her. That strategy over the course of this season seems to have worked for her triple axel, which is now consistently there for her in both short and long programs. I also like how much more relaxed she seems in the K+C, even after today's FS; it was actually pretty cute how she flinched when she saw one of her falls on the replay and then giggled a little. She often had a deer in the headlights expression last season, so it's great to see her become more sturdy emotionally.

Maiia had a great showing today though I find her overall skating doesn't really stand out. She and Usacheva always seem pretty happy to be there even though they have to know they are the backups. I think it may be emotionally easier for the 14 year old trio because their rankings are pretty clear unlike the group of Anna, Aliona, and Sasha who were constantly trading places; that had to make them paranoid.

Finally, I'm glad the third spot for Worlds is an obvious choice, and glad that it is Liza.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
So....Empress Tuk to Worlds? YES, please! She was highest finisher among the “old ladies” today. Frolova second. AK next...skated better than I’d expected. Khromikh extraordinary with those clean quads! (And her makeup much improved from Nationals.)

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
It won’t happen in a million years but I’d love to see Darya and Aliona make the Olympics. I’m not anti quads at all and I admire what the other Russian ladies do. Just personal preference of their overall skating. As this is clearly just a dream maybe I will pick Tuk for the 3rd spot :lol:

Taso

Holy Khromykh, nicely done! I hope she continues to improve her stretch and expression, but seriously those quads were unreal! Overall a really pleasing event. I hope at some point Usacheva shows more personality, and I also am annoyed by the positive PCS on the combo ending with euler/3s and the footwork sequence...but she isn't bad. Huge congrats to Tuktamysheva for making it back to worlds for the first time since winning is SIX YEARS ago! Glad Valieva seemed ok in the K&C, that program is insanely hard but I'm totally rooting for her to slay with it in Beijing. Kostornaya was fine, her spark is gone but the skating itself looked good and she certainly has a shot at next year. I hope Frolova can show some appreciation for her own skating, I wonder how much she actually likes doing it because honestly she is a very good skater but looks so unhappy.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
Did Tuk pose for Playboy, is this allowed or will she be banned from international competitions for posing nudity and vulgarity ?
or did Ashley Wagner also pose nude if I recall ?

Is this a publicity stunt to remind people she is still relevant ??
afterall, Tuk is ancient, a 27 year old going 28 from a bygone 2011 era.

Reactions: ana

Scott512

Congrats to Liza. I hope she sets the right example for the younger Russian ladies that they can hang around and still be competitive in their mid-twenties but it's going to be hard for others to do that because the domestic competition is so crazy deep.

But Liza is really going to worlds because Aliona is a mess, Alina doesn't care and kamila is kept out by a rule that wasnt there when Tara won senior worlds st 14.

If aliona did not leave TT we would be looking at a worlds sweep. Now that's not going to happen and nobody knows what's going to happen. Anna is sickish Sasha injured and Liza is a possibility for the podium. But not like aliona would have been if she never left TT.

Good luck to them all and I hope they stay healthy and wear their masks properly especially their coaches.

Seeing the professor with his mask off or under his nose is beyond absurd being that his 80 year old man is just coming off a coronavirus illness. The ISU is not going to put up with any of this coronavirus crap the Russians have been pulling this season by ignoring it down playing it or partying together.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
some of these skaters are already got covid including Mishin. Also masks is not mandatory in russia, people like me have claustrophobia and I feel like I cant breathe when I wear masks

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Did Tuk pose for Playboy, is this allowed or will she be banned from international competitions for posing nudity and vulgarity ?
or did Ashley Wagner also pose nude if I recall ?

Is this a publicity stunt to remind people she is still relevant ??
afterall, Tuk is ancient, a 27 year old going 28 from a bygone 2011 era.
What in the hell is this post? Tuktamysheva is 24, she's going back to her first Worlds since the one she won in 2015, she's stuck around and increased her technical content enough to still be in contention almost every season, and she definitely needs no help staying relevant. Listen to the Russian audiences, who know more than most skating audiences. She's still a favorite, if not the absolute favorite. She also was in Maxim magazine. Butyrskaya posed for Russian Playboy, not nude, the summer before she won Worlds. Didn't hurt her, and it didn't have people attempting to be crazy in the comments IIRC.

But thanks for playing.

Scott512

some of these skaters are already got ********* including Mishin. Also masks is not mandatory in russia, people like me have claustrophobia and I feel like I cant breathe when I wear masks
What do you wear love? A shield? You make a good point about people with claustrophobia this must freak them out.

My point is the ISU will be playing by different rules than what the Russian Federation did. The Russian skaters and coaches will need to adjust fast.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I used to be fun at parties. Key words are used to be.
And did you always make a point of crapping all over the guest of honor? Liza accomplished what she did because she worked hard and stayed positive and patient. You could try being happy for her instead of sounding like they just pulled her off the sidewalk because they couldn't find anyone else.

Scott512

And did you always make a point of crapping all over the guest of honor? Liza accomplished what she did because she worked hard and stayed positive and patient. You could try being happy for her instead of sounding like they just pulled her off the sidewalk because they couldn't find anyone else.
Nonsense. I congratulated Liza on her accomplishment and said she is setting a great example for the younger girls and I mean that. It's not Lizas fault Aliona messed up her own career by being petulant. As much as I like her that's what Aliona was leaving TT after a nearly perfect debut senior season.

There is a lot to admire about Elizavita. But im not a fan of Liza calling herself the empress. I hope you don't mind.

Nonsense. I congratulated Liza on her accomplishment and said she is setting a great example for the younger girls and I mean that. It's not Lizas fault Aliona messed up her own career by being petulant. As much as I like her that's what Aliona was leaving TT after a nearly perfect debut senior season.

There is a lot to admire about Elizavita. But im not a fan of Liza calling herself the empress. I hope you don't mind.
It’s always fun seeing people who claim to like Aliona Kostornaia blaming her for “being petulant” and “wrecking her career” when the fact is she lost massive amounts of ice time and is still recovering from illness. Besides which it’s far too early to call her done, though I suspect the eagerness to bury her has everything to do with her leaving Eteri and very little to do with her as a skater. Let alone as a person, which lord, the way some people talk you’d think she’d thrown a public hissy fit and kicked Trusova’s dog.

Scott512

It’s always fun seeing people who claim to like Aliona Kostornaia blaming her for “being petulant” and “wrecking her career” when the fact is she lost massive amounts of ice time and is still recovering from illness. Besides which it’s far too early to call her done, though I suspect the eagerness to bury her has everything to do with her leaving Eteri and very little to do with her as a skater. Let alone as a person, which lord, the way some people talk you’d think she’d thrown a public hissy fit and kicked Trusova’s dog.
Actually you're not being fair. Everyone knows her catching coronavirus was the biggest setback of all. I should have written that as well.

All we are saying that is that if aliona had stayed with TT until say after the Olympics that she would be going to Worlds this year.

Everyone hope she finds her form again and gets that magical triple axle back. But look at what's a TT girls are doing without young Sergei there. It's off the charts incredible.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Last year there was a very high probability of the Russian ladies sweeping the worlds podium. I was really looking forward to that. A sweep is so rare! This year the door is slightly open for someone (most probably from Japan) to grab a medal Or even two medals. I don’t mean to put down any of the Russian ladies, especially Liza; she is the most vulnerable. Sasha has not been dominating either. She was close to unbeatable two years ago. No, she has not lost the ability to jump, just the consistency. Ladies field at worlds will be more competitive and more interesting.

Scott512

Last year there was a very high probability of the Russian ladies sweeping the worlds podium. I was really looking forward to that. A sweep is so rare! This year the door is slightly open for someone (most probably from Japan) to grab a medal Or even two medals. I don’t mean to put down any of the Russian ladies, especially Liza; she is the most vulnerable. Sasha has not been dominating either. She was close to unbeatable two years ago. No, she has not lost the ability to jump, just the consistency. Ladies field at worlds will be more competitive and more interesting.
It would have been a sweep last year when all three girls were at TT now it's just Anya.

I am sad for Aliona because she's the most beautiful skater in the world. I hope she can lift her game up next season because she's going to need to three more TT girls turning senior.

Scott512

Russian ladies brought the drama as usual. Besides the Kostornaia/Tuktamysheva battle, and the fantastic quads from Maiia...

...I would like to push for my girl Maria Talalaikina. Wonderful performance again, not as good as Nationals, but I don't care. I just love this Maleficent program.:)

I too am very fond of Maria T and Little Liza and Nastys G. They're all very beautiful skaters in different ways. I wish money men and promoters would come up with some kind of tour where skaters like these who don't do the ultra jumps can have some success and glory as well.

It's sad they might have to retire by the age of 20 from competitive skating because there just aren't enough events and there aren't enough openings in Russia among the ladies. I am shocked some of these girls have not transferred countries for instance Gubanova has not had an international event since 2018. She can transfer to another country because it's been over two years since she had an International event. I've enjoyed nastyas skating for years but the Russian Federation has made it perfectly clear she has no future there and that's been going on for 3 or 4 years. I hope she changes countries and then comes back to live in Russia wants her career is over.

I also feel Maria and little lies I get underscored all the time the way nastya has been for years.

I mean Maria and Liza skate much better then what they usually score which is in the 190s and once in awhile they will break 200. Meanwhile TT girls as much as I like them in as fantastic as they are with their Ultra jumps get monstrous scores especially domestically.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Has the RSF announced the worlds team? If not, we shouldn’t be jumping ahead. If Liza makes the team I will be very happy for her but I don’t believe this is a done deal. Two years ago she did better than Medvedeva the whole season, but after her illness she missed the nationals and they picked Medvedeva based on just one skate behind closed doors.

Polaris

I am sad for Aliona because she's the most beautiful skater in the world. I hope she can lift her game up next season because she's going to need to three more TT girls turning senior.

This. Her skating is sublime, and she deserves at least a Worlds Gold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information