Russian Ladies news & discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott512

All of this is still so hard to imagine. As good as the 2018 ladies medalists were, and I think all 3 were really good, we are very likely heading for the next Olympics in China where all 3 medalists skate programs with quads and likely triple axels. Vancouver seems like not that long ago and the male gold medalist did not even attempt a quad. Has the sport ever seen this kind of revolutionary progress in such a short period of time? Those of us who follow the sport have seen it coming but the "every 4 year viewer" is going to be astounded.
The male who won gold in Vancouver without doing a quad is a sore spot for many considering
He beat the defending gold medalist without a quad and it was controversial.

But yes the quad revolution among the TT ladies in particular is mind boggling.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
A few Qs about the next big competition in Russia:

Do we have a detailed schedule yet of the Cup of Russia series final?

Is there a deadline for qualifying skaters to decide if they’re in or out? (for example, Kostornaia...why I’ve posted in the Ladies thread :D ) We know that Samarin is out, as are some of the reigning Russian champs (T/M, Step/Bukin). Kolyada & Scherbakova too?

Wondering if Ted will be working this one, too?

KnC thread for this doesn’t seem to be up yet but we still have a couple of weeks to go.

Last edited:

Ka3sha

Elizaveta Tuktamysheva fired a shot from a cannon at the Naryshkin Bastion of Peter and Paul Fortress in St Petersburg in honor of the 125th anniversary of the first Figure Skating World Championship that happened on February, 9th in 1896 in Saint-Petersburg :)

Tinami Amori

Victoria Butzaeva (Volchkova) talks about training aspects of Konstantinova.

"I have positive impressions of the athlete, but in the beginning of work in a new group there is always a surge of emotions, so let's see how long she will last. While she does everything that I ask, and to the extent that it is necessary. But it has been only a month of our work together. She is not skating the programme in full, but only segments and separate elements. After the break that she took after the Russian Championship, we are starting to skate the programmes, in order to at least understand how quickly she is able to regain her form. "

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
I'm binging on Charlie's Angels, one of the first tv shows I remember watching, and I was thinking how the "Three A's" are so much like the Angels. Aliona is Jill Munroe, the flashy one with the most fanfare/accolades. Anna is Kelly Garrett, the "nice girl" with the quiet, classy beauty. And Alexandra is Sabrina Duncan, the no-nonsense, no-frills fighter with a more masculine style. That's probably why I like all three of the 3A, though my heart, even as a four year old, has always preferred the Kelly Garrett type!! Not sure where Kamila would fit in, though!! A combination of all three I suppose... Or maybe Charlie, THE BOSS!! lol

Last edited:

Skibean

Zhenya really improves under Orser. Now if she could just her those jumps back and a triple axel she could be a contender.

Can anyone beat Kamila? She is the best Russian ladies skater now. Any juniors moving up that have the potential to defeat her?

Tinami Amori

:) Believe it or not, but many in the russian fans skating community are celebrating Masaru's 3 year birthday. Alina Zagitova as well... :), and! in Japan also.

Darkverse

Zhenya really improves under Orser. Now if she could just her those jumps back and a triple axel she could be a contender.

Can anyone beat Kamila? She is the best Russian ladies skater now. Any juniors moving up that have the potential to defeat her?
Moving up when? Kamila herself is still a junior. There are younger girls with 3A and quads, who knows where they'll be in a few seasons. Whether the age is raised is of course mega-important in making projections.

Tinami Amori

Moving up when? Kamila herself is still a junior. There are younger girls with 3A and quads, who knows where they'll be in a few seasons. Whether the age is raised is of course mega-important in making projections.
Kamila is 7 months away from officially transferring to/skating in Seniors (starting with GP events, if they happen), and then 7 months later there are Olys 2022.

What ever the ISU decisions are on rules, age, jumping content/scores, etc..... Eteri Tutberidze will evaluate and adjust accordingly; she already went through 2 sets of significant ISU rules changes, and she is still winning..... ;) (when someone moves her cheese, she does not cry, she finds the new location).

Darkverse

Kamila is 7 months away from officially transferring to/skating in Seniors (starting with GP events, if they happen), and then 7 months later there are Olys 2022.
Yes, obviously. This means that no new "juniors moving up" can beat her next season since she is herself a junior moving up. After that, who knows. Kamila will be thanking her lucky stars if the age is raised right after she wins OGM, if she wants to/is able to continue that is.

Tinami Amori

Yes, obviously. This means that no new "juniors moving up" can beat her next season since she is herself a junior moving up. After that, who knows. Kamila will be thanking her lucky stars if the age is raised right after she wins OGM, if she wants to/is able to continue that is.
a) i can't think of ANY jrs. right now who can beat Kamila if they transfer in 2022 to srs. with the content they have now.
b) Kamila is not standing still either with her 3A and 4T. She just mastered 4S, and is working on other quads.
c) Kamila comes from a good family, i am sure they value higher education. Lets see what Kamila chooses to do after the 2022 Olympics... ;)

But if there are "new Srs" in 2022/23, and they can outscore Valieva, then good for Russia! Russia wins again......:cheer2:

Skibean

Of course I, and everyone that follows figure skating, knows she is technically a junior- but when is the last time she actually competed on the junior level?
My question was asking if there are any junior girls with the potential to beat her. Most of the world sees Kamila as the #1 Russian lady and favorite for Olympic gold. Right now she looks unstoppable

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Of course I, and everyone that follows figure skating, knows she is technically a junior- but when is the last time she actually competed on the junior level?
My question was asking if there are any junior girls with the potential to beat her. Most of the world sees Kamila as the #1 Russian lady and favorite for Olympic gold. Right now she looks unstoppable
People said the same thing about Medvedeva. She lost. They said the same about Lip, especially after the team event. Sotnikova won. I think it's an easier thing to say A Russian lady will win the OGM.

Tinami Amori

- Sofia Akatieva, born July 07, 2007. She is not yet at a level of Valieva (PCS wise), but she has quads 4T, 4S, 3A, 3A+3T and will make a fair competition to Valieva.

- Sofia Samodelkina, born Feb. 17, 2007. Far from from Akatieva in PCS point and even more so from Valieva. But does have 3A, 3A+3T, 4L (not solid, falls, URs), 4S.

- Liza Berestovskaya, born Dec. 08, 2007. Will be far from from Akatieva and Samodelkina in PCS and and even more so Valieva. But does have 4T, 4T+3T (have not landed it clean too often)

- Adelia Petrosyan, born June 05, 2007. She has good PCS, spins, foot work. She is only learning 3A and 4T. Her team has not yet posted anything on youtube (only comments from Adelia about learning it).

- Veronika Zhilina, (i don't know her exact B-day, but in a recent conversation it was confirmed she is 12 now). She has a few quads and 3A attempts, but in the recent competitions she's been nothing else but falling on most of the jumps (she had places such as 16th, 10th, because she messed ups quads and 3A). Her PCS marks will not be near the girls listed above. She is pretty much "an athletic style" skater.

Last edited:

Skibean

I never thought Medvedeva was going to win the Olympics. Once she was injured and Alina started dominating the writing was on the wall. That’s why I asked about potential juniors. I don’t follow the juniors and was wondering who to look for. Thank you Tinami!

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
Domestically or internationally? Because USFS has been pushing Alysa Liu on us for years as the one to break the Russian dominance. Can Alysa be the one? Sure, her tiny jumps don't compare and her ultra-c are UR/DG, but USFS seems to think she's the one...

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Domestically or internationally? Because USFS has been pushing Alysa Liu on us for years as the one to break the Russian dominance. Can Alysa be the one? Sure, her tiny jumps don't compare and her ultra-c are UR/DG, but USFS seems to think she's the one...
Not now, post-puberty, although she’s improved a lot on factors that don’t garner big points.

If the Beijing Olys are postponed by one year (as happened w/ the Tokyo Summer Olympics)...then the USA’s Isabeau Levito would become age eligible at the perfect age of 15.5 (for jumps). If that’s the case, then she could be much more of a factor than Liu.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Highly unlikely given her current jump issues. USFS is desperate to have a ladies medalist, but not after her growing up. The US will be lucky to be 6th, 7th is more likely if Miyahara skates well.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Highly unlikely given her current jump issues. USFS is desperate to have a ladies medalist, but not after her growing up. The US will be lucky to be 6th, 7th is more likely if Miyahara skates well.
Then again, if Miyahara is scored correctly, she likely wouldn't be anywhere near that top group of ladies anyways. Give her all the PCS- I would. But the jumps are not improved one bit and she more often than not gets away with it.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Then again, if Miyahara is scored correctly, she likely wouldn't be anywhere near that top group of ladies anyways. Give her all the PCS- I would. But the jumps are not improved one bit and she more often than not gets away with it.
I don't see her getting away with it as Japan's #3 the way she got away with it as Japan's #1. And, right now, she's clearly #3 behind Rika and Kaori.

I think the best the US can hope for, if all of the ladies skate their best, with their current arsenals of jumps, is 5th for Bradie or Alysa, assuming she is able to regain her 3A and quads. Alysa has improved, a lot, in her skating skills but I don't see her beating Shcherbakova, Valieva, Trusova or Kihira next season unless one of them falters, and maybe not even Kaori whose basic skating and jumps are miles ahead of even an improved Alysa. Bradie will need a 3A, minimum, to move above the 3 Russians and Kihira, though I think she's probably close to competitive with Kaori right now. But, ice is slippery, so the chances of all 3 Russians and Kihira skating their best during the Olympics is a long one. Could a US girl sneak onto the podium in 3rd? Maybe, but, again... It would be because other girls came up short.

Sorry to slightly derail the Russian ladies topic. To reframe my thoughts in that context... I don't think there is any lady on the horizon internationally, apart from Kihira, that has the legitimate, consistent TES arsenal to compete with the likes of Anna, Kamila and Sasha. But, again, ice is slippery, so who knows what will happen in a year?

Natanielle825

but in the recent competitions she's been nothing else but falling on most of the jumps
That's a little harsh, she did 2 quad toes at Nationals, but still probably on the same trajectory as Trusova.
Samodelkina will become a senior the year after the Olympics? Unlucky...Valieva, Trusova, and Scherbakova might all still be at decent form and ahead of her, and the year after Akatieva will probably overtake her.

Ka3sha

Vasily Konov’s interview with Elizaveta Tuktamysheva (about her goals and motivation, thinking of retirement, Russian ladies, Olympics, personal life and relationships and many other things)

_Lola_

- Adelia Petrosyan, born June 05, 2007. She has good PCS, spins, foot work. She is only learning 3A and 4T. Her team has not yet posted anything on youtube (only comments from Adelia about learning it).

I think there was a more recent attempt of 4T as well - posted in Tutberizde Vkontakte group.

Tinami Amori

That's a little harsh, she did 2 quad toes at Nationals, but still probably on the same trajectory as Trusova.
If i am not mistaking, didn't V. Zhilina came in 10th at the recent Rus. Jr. Nat'ls,and if not 10th then some other fairly low placement, and reason was messed up jumps. She fell in SP on the axel, and then in FS messed up 2 jump combos and then fell on another jump.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information