Russian figure skating news & updates in 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

zebraswan

Eteri has made it about as clear as she can that she does not support the war. She is also not Russian. There are other things to criticize her for, but there is no reason to assume she is so shallow that she cares more about Chanel than human lives. Yana Rudkovskaya, on the other hand...šŸ™„

Carolla5501

Eteri has made it about as clear as she can that she does not support the war. She is also not Russian. There are other things to criticize her for, but there is no reason to assume she is so shallow that she cares more about Chanel than human lives. Yana Rudkovskaya, on the other hand...šŸ™„
And in spite of what people want to believe on here I certainly doubt Eteriā€™s failure to support is related to great morals. Weā€™ve already proven she doesnā€™t have those. I expect itā€™s related to her pocketbook, if her skaters are not winning medals and sheā€™s not getting cash things could get difficult for the princess. So yes thereā€™s every reason to think sheā€™s that shallow

MsZem

I see the sea
There ARE options.

Escaping to Germany might be the easiest thing to do right now if you are Russian (or even Syrian or from Africa) and don't want to endure this Putin shit anymore. If you just claim you have no passport, they are not allowed to send you back.
This might sound evil, but sadly, this is a strategy that has been working for some time.
I don't think it's that easy to leave Russia, and in terms of skaters getting out, we have an instructive example in Kirill Khalyavin. He had two things going for him: his Spanish citizenship, and getting to work on relocating early on. It was still (per Sara Hurtado's comments) a complicated situation, I think because his wife and child are not citizens. They left family behind, and I've no idea if they were able to transfer any money out of Russia. And again, that's a citizen of a European country, and he got out in early March. Are there as many open doors for Russian nationals at the moment? Even if they want to claim asylum, they have to get somewhere where they can do it.

There's a lot of good will and desire to help Ukrainian refugees, as there should be. I don't get the sense that there are many opportunities for Russians trying to get out.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
I don't think it's that easy to leave Russia, and in terms of skaters getting out, we have an instructive example in Kirill Khalyavin. He had two things going for him: his Spanish citizenship, and getting to work on relocating early on. It was still (per Sara Hurtado's comments) a complicated situation, I think because his wife and child are not citizens. They left family behind, and I've no idea if they were able to transfer any money out of Russia. And again, that's a citizen of a European country, and he got out in early March. Are there as many open doors for Russian nationals at the moment? Even if they want to claim asylum, they have to get somewhere where they can do it.

There's a lot of good will and desire to help Ukrainian refugees, as there should be. I don't get the sense that there are many opportunities for Russians trying to get out.
A friend of mine escaped from Russia a month ago.
The wife and sons of ice hockey player Alexander Ovechkin were also in Russia when the invasion started while Ovi was playing in Washington. They are reunited now, so they made it out. No idea how they did, but they made it and are back in Washington.
Many Russians are escaping via Turkey, Dubai or even Finland these days. My friend took the route from Russia to Armenia to Georgia to Turkey to Greece to Germany. He also made sure he had booked return flights, so that in case he gets controlled, he can always claim it's a vacation. He cancelled those later when he was safe, though.

Last edited:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Ricoā€¦With Love! Not LatinX!
And in spite of what people want to believe on here I certainly doubt Eteriā€™s failure to support is related to great morals. Weā€™ve already proven she doesnā€™t have those. I expect itā€™s related to her pocketbook, if her skaters are not winning medals and sheā€™s not getting cash things could get difficult for the princess. So yes thereā€™s every reason to think sheā€™s that shallow
Not to forget Team Gucci! Itā€™s not just about Chanel, dahling. šŸ‘œ

ostile17

I wonder if Eteri Tutberidze is slashing her Chanel bags in protest over sanctions, like other well-off Russian women? Oh, boo hooā€¦ šŸ˜­ā€¦ How can a true lady live without her Chanel products???

I mean, there is just so much that a woman can take! :rofl:

Spun Silver

@Barbara Manatee You asked if I think it's moral to imagine a scenario where T/M signed the CAS appeal under duress, and suggested there's no moral difference between assuming T/M's guilt or innocence in the two actions that have led people to put them on a hit list of non-humans per Finnice's post.

One of the tragic things about war is that it inflames the lust for quick condemnation and punishment. People think they are defending the innocent by rushing to punish other innocents, or if not innocents, then accused but without a trial. I don't think that's virtuous, although it may masquerade as virtue, and is sadly understandable when voiced by Ukrainians right now. The presumption of innocence is the foundation of the legal system in many countries and is an international human right. Russian figure skaters and musicians are not the ones responsible for this war.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
The presumption of innocence is specific to charges brought by a government or international tribunes. It need not apply under any circumstances where it isn't specified, and especially in the court of public opinion. I haven't seen where moral, public support for the Russian government is a war crime, nor being named in filing a complaint in which you feel a governing body has overstepped their authority.

Spun Silver

The presumption of innocence is specific to charges brought by a government or international tribunes. It need not apply under any circumstances where it isn't specified, and especially in the court of public opinion. I haven't seen where moral, public support for the Russian government is a war crime, nor being named in filing a complaint in which you feel a governing body has overstepped their authority.
No, it hasn't been called a war crime, yet. The support for the Russian government has just been presumed, when there are other possible explanations, as my previous post suggested, and it's merely caused people to be placed on a list of non-humans. So far. The destruction of people's reputations is not an inconsequential thing.

Lara111

David Narizhny was born in Ukraine (though currently represents Russia). It'd certainly help Annabelle if she wants to represent USA to partner with a Ukrainian born skater.

Same for Diana Davis - if she wants to partner with Ukrainian born Vadym Kolesnik (if she chooses to represent USA).

David Narizhny was 2020 world junior bronze medalist, and Vadym Kolesnik was 2020 world junior gold medalist. Both would be excellent partners for Annabelle and Diana (if they choose to go that route).
And they probably would have to subsidize their partners... which is expensive

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
She was born in Russia. How is she not Rissian.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Ricoā€¦With Love! Not LatinX!
Eteri is ethnically Georgian.
So sheā€™s a Russian equivalent of the American mania for hyphenated designations, i.e., a Georgian-Russianā€¦similar to African-American, Italian-American, Mexican-Americanā€¦which wouldnā€™t be too far off the mark, since Slavic traditional Russians consider a person from the Caucasus area (Georgia, Azerbaijan, the Ossetias within Russia, etc) a ā€œBlackā€ Š§Ń‘Ń€Š½Ń‹Š¹. Soā€¦Eteri can proclaim #Š§Ń‘Ń€Š½Ń‹Š¹LivesMatter! She could claim discrimination, in a way.

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs
Eteri was born in Russia---doesn't that make her a Russian citizen?
She was born in Moscow when it was the USSR. One of her parents is (was?) Georgian. Iā€™m guessing citizenship depends on where they were living when the Soviet Union collapsed?

Trillian

Eteri was born in Russia---doesn't that make her a Russian citizen?

The practice of conferring citizenship based on birth within a country (jus soli) is relatively uncommon, and most countries actually confer citizenship at birth based on the legal nationality of the parents (jus sanguinis). So it probably matters more what official nationality her parents had when she was born. I think sheā€™s most likely a Russian citizen and could easily have gotten Georgian citizenship if she wanted it. But being born in Russia technically doesnā€™t mean automatic citizenship. (ETA: although maybe it did in the Soviet era; I havenā€™t read anything about the history of the laws there.)

aka_gerbil

My question is how was citizenship decided when the USSR dissolved? I feel thatā€™s different than birthright or not citizenship when youā€™re born in a city in a country but then that country ceases to exist later.

Eteri was born in Moscow, so was born a Soviet citizen. But, where was the family living when the USSR dissolved because that may have dictated having or not having citizenship in Georgia.

airgelaal

My question is how was citizenship decided when the USSR dissolved? I feel thatā€™s different than birthright or not citizenship when youā€™re born in a city in a country but then that country ceases to exist later.

Eteri was born in Moscow, so was born a Soviet citizen. But, where was the family living when the USSR dissolved because that may have dictated having or not having citizenship in Georgia.
If she was born in Moscow, so she was born in Russian SFSR.

Trillian

Depends on what each individual country decided to do, which could be a fun Wikipedia rabbit hole. I did read up on Georgia at one point, and from what I recall, theyā€™ve generally been very quick to grant citizenship to people with Georgian heritage, which is why Iā€™m assuming Eteri could have a Georgian passport if she wanted one. For people born in the former Soviet Union, it could be a pretty complex combination of cultural heritage, birthplace, and where theyā€™ve lived over the last couple of decades. But Iā€™d be surprised if Eteri is not a Russian citizen.

aka_gerbil

Depends on what each individual country decided to do, which could be a fun Wikipedia rabbit hole. I did read up on Georgia at one point, and from what I recall, theyā€™ve generally been very quick to grant citizenship to people with Georgian heritage, which is why Iā€™m assuming Eteri could have a Georgian passport if she wanted one. For people born in the former Soviet Union, it could be a pretty complex combination of cultural heritage, birthplace, and where theyā€™ve lived over the last couple of decades. But Iā€™d be surprised if Eteri is not a Russian citizen.
I would be surprised too if she didnā€™t have Russian citizenship for as long sheā€™s lived there. I think the question is does she also have citizenship in Georgia.

If she was born in Moscow, so she was born in Russian SFSR.
Right, but she was 17 when the USSR dissolved, so she could have been living elsewhere at the time and not in what is now Russia.

I think the question is did her family move between her being born and when the USSR fell. If they were living in Georgia at the time, would she have automatically had Georgian citizenship?

airgelaal

I would be surprised too if she didnā€™t have Russian citizenship for as long sheā€™s lived there. I think the question is does she also have citizenship in Georgia.

Right, but she was 17 when the USSR dissolved, so she could have been living elsewhere at the time and not in what is now Russia.

I think the question is did her family move between her being born and when the USSR fell. If they were living in Georgia at the time, would she have automatically had Georgian citizenship?
No.
Everyone had Soviet documents that had to be exchanged for documents of a new country. This will confirm your citizenship.
Each country after the USSR dissolved had its own rules regarding old documents, as well as how to get new ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information