Russian figure skating news & updates in 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
So she’s a Russian equivalent of the American mania for hyphenated designations, i.e., a Georgian-Russian…similar to African-American, Italian-American, Mexican-American…which wouldn’t be too far off the mark, since Slavic traditional Russians consider a person from the Caucasus area (Georgia, Azerbaijan, the Ossetias within Russia, etc) a “Black” Чёрный. So…Eteri can proclaim #ЧёрныйLivesMatter! She could claim discrimination, in a way.
Dear god, you're insane. Where did you get that `black' shit about the Georgians/Azeris and what not? What on earth do you grow in your head??? I mean, you might bother checking, but all these people are white. Just as the Russians.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Back to the Russian figure skating: Averbukh decided to start coaching, so now all the media is busy interviewing eveyrone and the kitchen sink about what they think about Averbukh's coaching.

Pluschenko's show went to Tula, apparently there was a `patriotic' event in the same venue just before the skating show, so now they have to explain the skating show had nothing to do with the patriotic event that took place earlier. Seems that Boikova and Tuktamysheva were not thrilled

Rob

Beach Bum
Back to the Russian figure skating: Averbukh decided to start coaching, so now all the media is busy interviewing eveyrone and the kitchen sink about what they think about Averbukh's coaching.

Pluschenko's show went to Tula, apparently there was a `patriotic' event in the same venue just before the skating show, so now they have to explain the skating show had nothing to do with the patriotic event that took place earlier. Seems that Boikova and Tuktamysheva were not thrilled
Ah, thanks, so that is what Tukt was talking about on IG.

canbelto

So she’s a Russian equivalent of the American mania for hyphenated designations, i.e., a Georgian-Russian…similar to African-American, Italian-American, Mexican-American…which wouldn’t be too far off the mark, since Slavic traditional Russians consider a person from the Caucasus area (Georgia, Azerbaijan, the Ossetias within Russia, etc) a “Black” Чёрный. So…Eteri can proclaim #ЧёрныйLivesMatter! She could claim discrimination, in a way.

What??? No they don't. They consider them ethnically different, but not "black." There's more discrimination against Jewish or Muslim minorities.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Dang! Mad props to Kolyada for withdrawing and refusing to participate. It's interesting that most of these skaters opposed and upset are St Petersburg-based.

It's got to be crazy and insane for all of those skaters who are opposed to the war, but want to skate in the future. If you leave Russia now, I suspect you leave Russia forever.

And f*ck Kogan! He's as awful as Zhulin and Plushenko, pressuring them to skate like that.

Amy L

This was what I was worried about with all these shows and tours. Someone like Plush or Navka is not just gonna hold an event without turning things into a jingoistic clusterfck. A lot of skaters depend on these shows as supplements to their funding. Shame on Kogan for forcing them go through with it anyways, but I'm not surprised at all.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
This was what I was worried about with all these shows and tours. Someone like Plush or Navka is not just gonna hold an event without turning things into a jingoistic clusterfck. A lot of skaters depend on these shows as supplements to their funding. Shame on Kogan for forcing them go through with it anyways, but I'm not surprised at all.
their funding may now depend on doing the events and without funding, they are out of skating as very few have wealthy families, and they may not be as wealthy as they were.

reut

Last edited:

Amy L

soogar

I'm not going to hold it against any Russian skater if they perform in a show that is political. They need to support themselves. I feel sorry for Tuk that she doesn't have another outlet, like Eteri's show, to go to. I don't know how Kolyada secured an invite for Eteri's show, since it seems that show participation is driven by the coach. But maybe without Morisi, she needed a guy to balance out the show and Misha is a popular skater.

I'm very exicted for Averbukh's ice dance school. I didn't care for him and Lobach as a team, however I really enjoy his choreography and think that he could create really nice ice dance programs.

gralha

Dear god, you're insane. Where did you get that `black' shit about the Georgians/Azeris and what not? What on earth do you grow in your head??? I mean, you might bother checking, but all these people are white. Just as the Russians.
It's not a matter of racial classification in Russian. "Черный" (literally 'black") is sometimes used by some people in a derogatory way - extremely rude, vulgar, uneducated, you name it - to refer mostly to a person of Azeri or Armenian origin, and also to some ethnicities from the Russian Caucasus ( but very rarely about Georgians for whatever reason). It's basically a term of abuse, an even ruder form being "черно...опый" ( 'black arsed').

zebraswan

I am willing to believe the skaters didn't understand what they were getting themselves into...this time. You don't break a contract with Yana without suffering consequences. It's a terrible choice to have to make on the spur of the moment. But going forward? There is no more excuse for signing a deal with these devils. I don't how anyone can possibly support Plushenko's academy ever again. He and Yana are beyond shady...they are utterly vile. I'm curious what will happen with the other shows he has planned now...

Amy L

Some actual skating news: Ushakova & Nekrasov broke up, he is now skating with Elizaveta Pasechnik. No word on what Arina plans to do. Nekrasov ended the partnership because she was missing a lot of practices. Their coaches and even her own parents tried talking to her about her attendance problems but she wouldn't listen to anyone.

Russian ice dance is having quite the "musical chairs" moment.

Amy L

I am willing to believe the skaters didn't understand what they were getting themselves into...this time. You don't break a contract with Yana without suffering consequences. It's a terrible choice to have to make on the spur of the moment. But going forward? There is no more excuse for signing a deal with these devils. I don't how anyone can possibly support Plushenko's academy ever again. He and Yana are beyond shady...they are utterly vile. I'm curious what will happen with the other shows he has planned now...

What can they do going forward? If they signed contracts for all of his shows they are still in a bind. Perhaps they could break the contract if they claim that there was no mention of "patriotic events" they were required to attend and would not have signed if they knew beforehand. But most skaters don't have the money to afford attorneys. Definitely not the kind of money Plush and Yana have. There were a few comments on the VK boards about Tuk's Insta post about how she should be happy to show her patriotism and that her country requires her support whether she wants to be politically active or not. I'm afraid these skaters will be skewered in the press using those same arguments. All Plush and Yana would have to do is to accuse them of being unpatriotic and that could get them in a lot of trouble.

Last edited:

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I wish they would unite as a group and refuse to continue. It’s hard to punish 6 or 7 top skaters at the same time, particularly if Eteri skaters also avoid these events.
Is it? Putin's thrown, what, hundreds in jail for protesting? He'd think nothing of 6 or 7. Of course, with high-profile figures he tends to favor poison ...

reut

Last time I checked nobody was thrown to jail for not wanting to skate in Yana's shows.
All these excuses for RU skaters are so lame it makes me sick. They are no near being the victims of regime at the moment.
But not getting some good money on the other hand...

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I will admit I bent over backwards to give T/M and S/K the benefit of the doubt. (I did it precisely because I don't like them, and wanted to make sure my bias wasn't making me unfair to them!) But this isn't the same. None of them ever posted anything that sounded remotely like an apology after showing up with Z's on their jackets. Nikita was oblivious enough, and jackass enough, to say that the thought of consequences for what he was doing never even occurred to him.

Of course we have to wait and see what these skaters do now. But at the moment, this feels different.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!

You obviously know nothing about use of the word Chorny. YOU wake up and see reality in Russia!

For your education, read this, for starters, especially the section on Caucasus peoples (go to section: Racism by Targeted Group, subsection “People of the Caucasus”).

Last edited:

Bouffantrex

Banned Member
Nikita was oblivious enough, and jackass enough, to say that the thought of consequences for what he was doing never even occurred to him.
Not exactly surprising. I get the impression if Nikita were American, he'd be a QAnon Trump-loving bro. Doesn't exactly seem like the brightest or most self-aware lad.

I still tend to give most of the Russian skaters the benefit of the doubt. They're definitely not all oblivious and innocent, but some of the overreactions I see on social media are ridiculous. For example, Meagan Duhamel retweeted a "petition" that all skaters taking part in this event should be banned from the sport for life. :rolleyes: Get a grip.

ChelleC

Anti-quad activist
The big difference for me is this is not a state-sponsored rally. It's Plushenko's show. Getting out of Yana's contract would likely be difficult.

That said, I'm glad Kolyada withdrew, but I do wonder what his consequences will be.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Dang! Mad props to Kolyada for withdrawing and refusing to participate. It's interesting that most of these skaters opposed and upset are St Petersburg-based.
Am trying to see who are the Moscow based skaters in that show - think they are either Pluschenko school to begin with or are not really invited anywhere (Kostornaya)
It's not a matter of racial classification in Russian. "Черный" (literally 'black") is sometimes used by some people in a derogatory way - extremely rude, vulgar, uneducated, you name it - to refer mostly to a person of Azeri or Armenian origin, and also to some ethnicities from the Russian Caucasus ( but very rarely about Georgians for whatever reason). It's basically a term of abuse, an even ruder form being "черно...опый" ( 'black arsed').
Exactly. Hence the idiot's idea that black lives matter should be applied to Georgians (in Eteri's case) is well, idiotic.
And Plushenko keeps on knocking from the bottom. I wonder if he considers himself so untouchable or does he not care about the reaction of the world anymore?
He is untouchable as long as he supports the regime. As for the reaction of the world - when was he invited to a show outside Russia the last time? 5-6 years ago to Italy? What does he have to lose?
I wish they would unite as a group and refuse to continue. It’s hard to punish 6 or 7 top skaters at the same time, particularly if Eteri skaters also avoid these events.
Eteri skaters were skating in Minsk at the same day in Eteri's show. It's VERY easy to punish as many skaters as they like - you keep forgetting that they are state funded.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
It's easy to sit in Canada or the US and declare the skaters should give up their careers and livelihoods as they are basically employed by the state. If the Fed says do this or else, else isn't going to be something good. I suspect Kolyada pleaded injury or illness and didn't make a political statement. And, breach of contract could be extremely expensive to the skater and their family. Don't forget some of these skaters have families to support. They didn't choose what is happening and many don't have the luxury to refuse. Wonder what Duhamel would do if her kid was threatened? Or her husband's career?

zebraswan

I don't believe Kolyada's non-participation had anything to do with the political aspect because the other skaters were supposedly blindsided once they got to the arena. I don't see how he would have been privy to information that the rest of them weren't. Obviously he can't claim illness or injury if he was in another show on the same date. He is also still scheduled to skate in the St. Petersburg show, along with Trusova.

Yana promises a "wow surprise" for St. Petersburg...what could it be? Something even more tacky and tasteless, no doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information