Russian Figure Skater tests positive for drugs - delays ceremony for team medals

Status
Not open for further replies.

leilaofpaper

I've been very disappointed in the Japanese fed during this whole saga. Leaving the US to fight this alone has just allowed Russia to take free shot after free shot about the West and Americans and blah blah. Japan coming in and joining the US in this argument would have strengthened their position.
My guess is that it’s a cultural thing.

leilaofpaper

So, what explains Skate Canada also sitting silently by. A medal would be theirs if this goes against Valieva.
I don’t know about Canada, that was just my guess about Japan and the general cultural norms around respect for authority.

But there is a difference between the US team who haven’t received any medals (and are worst silver and best gold), and the Canadian team who weren’t originally expecting medals and might get bronze.

On My Own

My guess is that it’s a cultural thing.

Again. Wakaba and Kaori both spoke up.

Uno also spoke up about selection criteria last season, so there's some evidence they're willing to speak up.

My guess about JOC keeping quiet would have been about them wanting the Olympic games in 2030/34, and it could be that they applied pressure on JFed and skaters to keep quiet. My favourable guess and interpretation anyway.

airgelaal

Are we sure that today there will be a final result? I wouldn't be surprised if they postpone it again.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Forgive me for asking a potentially stupid question as I haven't been glued to this or kept up with the thread the last two years. But is todays decision just about Valieva's guilt/innocence and what a potential punishment would entail.

Or are people expecting also a decision on the results and who gets what medal?

Firedancer

Forgive me for asking a potentially stupid question as I haven't been glued to this or kept up with the thread the last two years. But is todays decision just about Valieva's guilt/innocence and what a potential punishment would entail.

Or are people expecting also a decision on the results and who gets what medal?

Just Valieva’s guilt or innocence and punishment. But based on that we can probably figure out the medal outcome as well

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Just Valieva’s guilt or innocence and punishment. But based on that we can probably figure out the medal outcome as well
One would think. But I have seen a few theories on how that should be decided so another two year debate could be in our futures :lol:

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!

It says "
Breaking: 4 year doping ban for Kamila Valieva. More to follow on
@TimesSport"

eta.. Instead of deleting I will just say his bio says he is a Chief Sports Correspondent for The Time but I don't see this anywhere else. It was posted at 15:01 Swiss time 🤷‍♀️

eta 2... Brennan just posted the same. So this guy is legit.

Last edited:

On My Own

So we don't know the results of any the other athletes in those competitions yet (EC22, OWG22 Team, OWG22 Individual), but we do know Valieva's medals after 25 Dec 2021 are all gone.

Relevant quote:
The consequences linked to the retroactive disqualification of Ms Valieva from past events, including from Olympic Winter Games Beijing 2022, were not within the scope of this arbitration procedure and will have to be examined by the sports organisations concerned.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
So if I am reading it right her 4 year ban started December 25, 2021 so is over December 25, 2025 so she could in theory complete at next winter Olympics.

And the decision for the team medals was not in the scope of this investigation and up to the relevant sports organisation to decide. So now it's in the hands of the ISU :lol:

On My Own

So if I am reading it right her 4 year ban started December 25, 2021 so is over December 25, 2025 so she could in theory complete at next winter Olympics.

And the decision for the team medals was not in the scope of this investigation and up to the relevant sports organisation to decide. So now it's in the hands of the ISU :lol:
Don't forget that the ISU is not in the hands of Russians currently either, and there's also a different kind of pressure on sports organizations currently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information