Royalty Thread #7: Do They Get Frequent Flier Miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PDilemma

I think Kate looks like her father, Pippa looks like their mother. And yes, thank goodness she doesn't look like Diana at this point. The papers would just never stop then.

It isn't stopping them. I've seen proclamations all over the internet that that baby looks exactly like Diana beginning on day one. Picture proof otherwise is not going to silence the fanatics. That poor child is going to deal with her late grandmother's crazy fans for a good portion of her life no matter what she grows up to look like or do.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
IMO Diana's death cemented her sainthood in the eyes of her crazy fans. If she had lived I think her legacy would be similar to Sarah Ferguson's by now. She would have been nothing but a shallow international jet-setter. I never understood the reverence - TBH I don't understand Kate's either. I think Kate is handling the job well but at the end of the day, she is just a young wife & mother, not some celestial being.

Jenny

From the Bloc
One thing I love about Camilla is the way she loves her big hats. Back in the days when we were all supposed to hate her, she was this tweedy countrywoman who one guessed smelled of horses - but in recent years she's really come into her own with a personal style that I think really suits her.

clairecloutier

One thing I love about Camilla is the way she loves her big hats. Back in the days when we were all supposed to hate her, she was this tweedy countrywoman who one guessed smelled of horses - but in recent years she's really come into her own with a personal style that I think really suits her.

Although I'm still not a fan of Camilla, I agree her fashion sense has improved tremendously, and she is very well dressed these days.

taf2002

I've never been a big Charles fan so I never hated Camilla. But her clothes sense & mine are oceans apart. I think that coat is really ugly, esp next to the Queen's beautiful red coat. I seldom like anything she wears. In family photos she sticks out (to me) like an eyesore.

PDilemma

IMO Diana's death cemented her sainthood in the eyes of her crazy fans. If she had lived I think her legacy would be similar to Sarah Ferguson's by now. She would have been nothing but a shallow international jet-setter. I never understood the reverence - TBH I don't understand Kate's either. I think Kate is handling the job well but at the end of the day, she is just a young wife & mother, not some celestial being.

Diana is the athlete who died young in the Housman poem. I have always guessed she would not have aged gracefully. I also think that her sons marrying and having wives and babies that stole the attention would not have set well for her. She thrived on public attention and approval. And the younger generation taking that would have not have resulted in the happy mother-in-law or doting grandmother that her fans fantasize about.

Jenny

From the Bloc
I think she would have loved being a grandmother - she was always glowing when she was around her own kids and other children. I also don't think we can slot her into a traditional MIL role either - her main role would have been as mother and grandmother to future monarchs. In some ways the Queen is the ultimate MIL for all of them. I suspect that at some point Diana's heritage and breeding would have kicked in, and while she may have continued a jet setting celebrity lifestyle, when she was required to be a royal she would have done it perfectly.

The bigger difference to me would have been with the Queen and the rest of the Royal Family. I think Diana's death really changed them.

PDilemma

I think she would have loved being a grandmother - she was always glowing when she was around her own kids and other children. I also don't think we can slot her into a traditional MIL role either - her main role would have been as mother and grandmother to future monarchs. In some ways the Queen is the ultimate MIL for all of them. I suspect that at some point Diana's heritage and breeding would have kicked in, and while she may have continued a jet setting celebrity lifestyle, when she was required to be a royal she would have done it perfectly.

The bigger difference to me would have been with the Queen and the rest of the Royal Family. I think Diana's death really changed them.

I agree with the last part 100%. It forced the queen to accept that a more modern and personal touch resonated with the public.

But Diana was very likely BPD. And BPDs need to be the center of attention and daughters-in-law and grandbabies would have taken the attention from her. Both from the public and within her family and it would not have gone well. She may have managed to make it look loving and doting in public but behind closed doors, it could have got ugly.

And she did not have much for royal duties after the divorce and I suspect that over the years, that role would have continued to decrease exponentially. With William married with children and taking on more royal duties, her official role likely would have completely disappeared. Another thing that would not have set well. The lack of royal spotlight was already an issue for her.

Jenny

From the Bloc
Meh, I guess we'll never know. If she really lived for attention, I don't think she would have gone short of it - her jetsetting, celebrity friends, boyfriends, clothes etc would have kept her in the news around the world, unrestricted by the niceties of actually working and following the royal rules. I think she likely would have fought hard for (not with) William and Harry behind the scenes, for sure, but I really can't imagine her trying to compete with Camilla and Kate, because her celebrity would likely have always outshone theirs on the broader stage. And every time there was a big moment - the weddings, the babies - she would have been right there.

I can see the lack of royal spotlight - especially when the marriage was falling apart and after - being a problem for someone who had been groomed for nothing else since she was a teen. However, at the time of her death she might have been on the point of creating a new identity for herself as a global celebrity, and I do think it's possible she would have continued some of the charity work. Not the little meet and greets that the Royals fill their calendars with, but the big stuff ala Bono and Angelina Jolie. I could also see her building her own brand, perhaps putting her name to a fashion label, jewels or the like. She certainly had the connections to make a serious go of it.

attyfan

I'm not sure how things might have developed if she had lived. Assuming that Diana did have BPD, I would think that treatment options have improved. Also, she might have found satisfaction (or attention) in her charity work. I don't think she would have stayed static, any more than anyone else has.

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado
A rare criticism of Kate's fashion choice: the color of this coat does nothing for her complexion. It's an alright color in itself but it makes her look washed out. The darker shade of green of her hat doesn't help. Of course, it's Kate and she still looks lovely, just not her best.

Reactions: mag

Vagabond

I'm not sure how things might have developed if she had lived. Assuming that Diana did have BPD, I would think that treatment options have improved. Also, she might have found satisfaction (or attention) in her charity work. I don't think she would have stayed static, any more than anyone else has.

Treatment options have improved, but getting someone with BPD to (1) get diagnosed and (2) get treatment remains difficult. Apparently, most people with BPD get better. Those who don't get better, however, tend to experience greater social dysfunction, more hospitalizations, and increased feelings of chronic emptiness (regardless of how full their lives may seem to outsiders).

Regardless of whether we assume that she had BPD, any statement of what her life would have been like in her forties and fifties is wild speculation.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Anne's coat is gorgeous. The cut, the color, everything. Not too often does she stand out for her fashion in that group!

MsZem

I see the sea
I like her big hats and her big jewelry. Other than Queen Maxima, I can't think of another royal who wears them as well.

Camilla's had some great fashion choices, dating back to her wedding apparel. She knocked that out of the park - especially the gorgeous church blessing outfit.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
The gray/blue silk jacket with gold embroidery and the headpiece....no one has ever looked better in terms of going from their normal to dressed up, ya know what I mean?

taf2002

I don't think she acted perfectly as a royal even while she was married. She wasn't as wild as Fergie but most of the royal females have been pretty straitlaced, not having public affairs. Of course, Charles cheated first.

Jenny

From the Bloc
Agree - my thinking was that over time, as her sons took a more prominent role, that as I said above her heritage and breeding would have kicked in. And perhaps even the freedom from all the restrictive rules etc might have made her actually enjoy the times when she dipped back into that life, specifically for an occasion such as a son's wedding or grandchild's christening.

But of course it's all guesses.

skatesindreams

This length gives her maximum versatility for her many appearances; it's long enough to put up when needed and short enough to look "polished" when worn down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information