Royalty Thread #7: Do They Get Frequent Flier Miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenny

From the Bloc
My guess is not today. They "announced" that William would be Harry's Best Man (seriously, was there ever any question?), so that's today's news.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Philip Michael William, perhaps. Or a first name totally outside the box and unexpected, along with traditional middle names like Philip, Michael, Albert, Edward, Francis and/or David. Some have suggested Victor. I don't particularly think Frederick or Arthur would be first name choices, especially since there's already the Kent cousin, Frederick Windsor. And Arthur is a bit old-fashioned I think, but who knows.

Lorac

Isn't Louis one of George's middle mames?

It is yes - George Alexander Louis - which was thought to be a nod to the late Lord Mountbatten. Surprised they reused a name but as it took a while to name him I wonder if another name was vetoed. Nice to see the nod to his father after his nod to his Mother with Charlotte. And Arthur snuck in there as well.

MsZem

I see the sea
Maybe it just took them a few days to decide that he looked like a Louis and not an Alexander ;) or whatever other names were being considered... I imagine we'll have to wait on Harry and Meghan for less traditional names.

In non-UK royal news (they do exist!), it is the five-year anniversary of King Willem-Alexander ascending to the throne, and there are new pictures of the royal family to mark the occasion. The Princess of Orange (Catharina-Amalia) and Princess Alexia look so grown up! And Queen Maxima wore one of her prettiest gowns.

Lorac

Louis Arthur Charles!

I wonder whether he will be a Lou-iss or a Lou-ie?

May be Lou-iss formally but Lou-ie affectionately?

Well William's full name is pronounced with Lou-ie as the 4th name so I assume that the new Prince will have the same pronunciation.

skategal

Bunny mama
Kudos to William and Kate for surprising us with the name Louis.

I don't think anyone guessed that name! :40beers:

Lorac

Kudos to William and Kate for surprising us with the name Louis.

I don't think anyone guessed that name! :40beers:

There has never been a Prince Louis in the British royal family - and it's only been in recent years it has become a favoured middle name mainly since Lord Mountbatten. As it had been used for one of George's middle names it was apparently not on anyone's radar - especially as a first name. William and Kate must love the name to include it in both their sons names :)

Twilight1

I really like the name, it pays homage to their French ancestry.

George, Charlotte and Louis. The only one I was close on was George. lol

liv

I was hoping for a Prince Arthur, just because I love Camelot :), but I'm glad they went with Louis because it was not a frontrunner, although it was peppered throughout the recent family tree.

I would have loved Alexander, but when William mentioned it the other day I knew that was not the choice. Maybe they even looked at the betting and decided to make sure not to choose any of the top ones...after all, the bookies were right with George and Charlotte.

I really doubted the choices of James, Frederick, Michael or Albert as names ... too many close family members with those names ( or Princes in other countries).

Skittl1321

Nice to see they picked a name.

When we went to our 2-day follow up appointment the baby that was called in before us was "Baby Boy". So it's not just royals that take awhile.

PDilemma

I really like the name, it pays homage to their French ancestry.

George, Charlotte and Louis. The only one I was close on was George. lol

George was a no brainer. He had to have an English Regnal name. All the good ones were taken within very close family. The choices left were George, John, Richard and some ancient ones like Aethelred that weren't going to happen, plus the mythical one, Arthur. George was the one with the most recent ancestor and most known to the family. I predicted that one and nailed one middle name (Louis).

I predicted Charlotte and the middle name Elizabeth and the possibility of the middle name Diana, but wasn't counting on the latter due to the immense public nonsense that could come with it. (Funny, though, people have short memories, on the comment section of a local news story of this baby's name, a woman rants that this little prince has Charles's name in his but Charlotte doesn't have Diana's and thus William is a mother-hating scoundrel of some sort!)

This one, I got not a single name right. But I still feel vindicated on the prediction as I said it would very possibly be a name out of the British royal box and it is, coming from Phillip's side of the family instead.

Jenny

From the Bloc
I always thought Charlotte was at least in part a tribute to Charles, in his position of both granddad and next King of England, which will happen in her lifetime. I wasn't expecting Charles for the third child as I thought they'd already covered that tribute.

I do find it odd to name a kid the same name as an older sibling's middle name, but I guess they really like the name. Some families repeat middle names among their children, but I just can't recall it happening this way.

I think the press and public will have fun with it though - other than FSU's own @Louis, my first thought was this.

Twilight1

My 2 boys have my surname in their middle names. I did it for my dad who had 2 girls.

I like original first names with ancestral ties as middle names. :D

SHARPIE

fsuniverse.COM (finally)
Staff member
I'm going to have to take my iPad on holiday with me aren't I? I don't particularly care about people having babies but I've been over invested in this so goodness knows what I'll be like for the Royal Wedding. There's a delicious amount of lead up programmes on now and I'll have my Sky planner set to record them all.

It's cool, the wedding is at 2pm Greek time so I can get up and catch a decent amount of rays before sitting like a saddo in my hotel room typing non stop crap on here from midday :lol:

I've even been watching bits of William and Kate's wedding on you tube.

I am a sad fcucker :lol:

smurfy

One of my cousins (daughter to my first cousin) - has a 2 year old named Louis Patrick - Louis is for his Italian paternal great-grandfather (Louis' father is from Italy) and Patrick is for his maternal grandfather.
I will have to kid her that she started a trend- as I would assume Louis will become a more popular name.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
You're all wrong. His names are obviously a nod to the Harry Potter series, specifically the Weasley family: Louis for Bill's & Fleur's youngest child, Arthur for the patriarch, Charles for Charlie the dragon handler. ;)

(I read this on Yahoo.)

mag

I suppose it is possible that Louis was Kate and or William’s first choice of names for George, but it wasn’t considered British enough so it was used for a middle name. When the opportunity presented itself in the form of a second son (who is very unlikely to ever see the throne) they jumped on the chance to use Louis as a first name.

ballettmaus

Each post I read about the baby's name makes me think: Can you imagine not being able to name your child what you want to name it? It seems wrong. They're the parents. If they wanted to name their first kid Louis, they should have been able to. And if they had preferred to name either of their sons Alexander or Justin or Ben or whatever they should have been able to as well.
It probably doesn't bug them as much since they knew that from the start but it bugs me :p

MsZem

I see the sea
Each post I read about the baby's name makes me think: Can you imagine not being able to name your child what you want to name it? It seems wrong. They're the parents. If they wanted to name their first kid Louis, they should have been able to. And if they had preferred to name either of their sons Alexander or Justin or Ben or whatever they should have been able to as well.
It probably doesn't bug them as much since they knew that from the start but it bugs me :p
Some royal houses have more constraints on the naming, especially if the children are close to the throne. William and Kate knew that there would be certain limits, but they still had some leeway.

In Denmark, the first name of future kings alternates between Frederik and Christian. There are no other options (Queen Margrethe considered herself a "Christian" for this purpose). All the other royal kids are named whatever their parents want to name them, so you have Nikolai and Isabella and Vincent, among other names.

Even in the UK, You have William and Harry (Henry, of course), but the Princess Royal had Peter and Zara, and their daughters have modern names (Savannah, Isla and Mia).

Lorac

I'm watching the ITV show about how royal weddings are put together and they keep going on and on about how this - Harry and Meghan - will be the biggest royal wedding ever and I am just bemused by that as yes we are getting publicity about it but it seems to be more low key that for Charles and Diana and William and Kate. The speculation about Diana's and Kate's dresses was huge but I have not seen anything or anyone speculating about Meghan's dress!! I will be watching as I love the spectacle but don't get this weird reporting!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information