Royalty Thread #13: Zooming in on our favorite royals

Status
Not open for further replies.

aftershocks

Banned Member
There hasn't been a lot of commentary about it, but Princess Madeleine of Sweden's choice to step away from royal life as third-in-line to the throne (to marry an American and live in New York*) is not that dissimilar to Harry's choice (aside from the overtones of racism and classicism that are evident in the British royal firm's ongoing drama, heightened by meddling 'grey men' courtiers, rabid royal rota reporters, and sibling rivalry rifts). * Madeleine and her family currently reside in Florida after a three-year stay in London, from 2015 to 2018

"Princess Madeleine’s house in Florida is not paid for by the state (she has a rich banker husband to fund all of that) but she does get compensated for showing up on Sweden’s National Day in traditional dress. Seems only fair. So why can’t Prince Harry do the same? ... I don’t see any reasons why not."

MsZem

I see the sea
Madeleine was fourth in line to the throne when she married Chris O'Neil, following her sister Victoria, her niece Estelle and her brother Carl Philip.

Harry could have certainly led a more normal life if he were a Swedish royal. Madeleine is involved with her mother's charitable foundation and hasn't lived in Sweden for years, and CP and Sofia who do live in Sweden don't get bothered much either (though there was a lot of ugly stuff about Sofia and her scandalous past). Occasionally they do official stuff and wear sashes and bling, but otherwise they're just living their lives.

ballettmaus

Madeleine was fourth in line to the throne when she married Chris O'Neil, following her sister Victoria, her niece Estelle and her brother Carl Philip.

I also believe that they had stated their intentions before they got married and her husband had declined a royal title.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Harry could have certainly led a more normal life if he were a Swedish royal.

Well, Harry has said that his family "doesn't understand" that he was largely able to live "a normal life in the military." That's probably the chief reason why he wanted to leave the royal family in his 20s, most likely in order to pursue a permanent career in the military. Fate and his family had other ideas. Harry only decided to refrain from leaving royal life when he was younger due to love and respect for his grandmother. He finally left the royal firm earlier this year out of love and respect for his wife and son, and obviously because of the urgent necessity to protect them and to safeguard the health and wellbeing of himself, his wife and their marriage.

ETA:
They also appear to have, you know, discussed it with her family and maintained good relationships.

In the case of Madeleine, this genial accord was arrived at not without some familial and governmental drama. The biggest difference is that the Swedish royal family doesn't have the same high profile worldwide as that of the British royal family. This different state of affairs has to do with the history, power and influence wielded by the British royals, as it turns out, to their overall detriment in the modern world. Too much family dysfunction now and down through the ages.

Last edited:

MsZem

I see the sea
Okay, she had me at tattoos but now you tell me there was a snake?! Sofia for President! :lol:
Well, we don't know how the snake felt about that photo shoot...

Sofia is pretty awesome. Her glamor modeling/reality TV days are way behind her now, but she and some friends started an international charity a decade ago and she's still involved in that.

I also believe that they had stated their intentions before they got married and her husband had declined a royal title.
Yes, Chris is a private citizen and to the best of my knowledge not even a Swedish one.

MsZem

I see the sea
Any updates on Prince Andrew and the investigation?
Check the Prince Andrew thread, or the Epstein thread that's in PI.

Princess Anne turns 70 in a couple of weeks, and here are some vintage pictures for the occasion:

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
She looks best in severe fashions like equestrian wear. So regal!

becca

Madeleine and Chris always said this would be the case. Chris supports his own family. So the Swedish people pay nothing there is no renovations to pay off.

There is also no tell all book and Chris and Madeleine actually truly live privately.

MsZem

I see the sea
New pictures of the Dutch princesses:
They look lovely, though I would encourage them to contact the Spanish princesses for some fashion & styling tips (I am sure they all speak Spanish).

Also, their parents forgot to observe social distancing while on holiday and had to apologize... but it looks like no harm was done (except W-A's facial hair, what is up with that?)

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Earlier today the brilliant Norwegian opera singer Lise Davidsen released a recorded concert from the Oscarshall Palace in Oslo today as part of the Met Stars in Concert series. Queen Sonja did a short interview with her that was edited in before she began a series of Grieg songs.

Queen Margrethe of Denmark, who has designed for the Royal Ballet and Theater, interviewed director Kasper Holten extensively about his production of the Copenhagen Ring in the mid-00's; it was a feature on the DVD set.

So :respec: to the monarchs who appreciate classical music and know their stuff.

Garden Kitty

Tranquillo
Kensington Royal's social media accounts showed a sneak peak of 3 of the 100 selections of the HoldStill 2020 photo exhibit. I wasn't really paying much attention to this project, but I really like the three pictures they've shown so far and now I'm really interested to see what else the judges choose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information