Royalty Thread #13: Zooming in on our favorite royals

Status
Not open for further replies.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
The more I look at the dress the more I love it. The detail is stunning. I didn't even notice the sleeves at first. I do think they are too puffy but they're not intrusive so the overall look is beautiful.

MsZem

I see the sea
Two more pictures, and Beatrice looks amazing. Even with those puffy sleeves.
A lighter tough with the jewelry was the right call with that dress and tiara.

skipaway

Two more pictures, and Beatrice looks amazing. Even with those puffy sleeves.
A lighter tough with the jewelry was the right call with that dress and tiara.
I like how his cummerbund matches the bottom of her dress. 😀

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ At first, Edo posted these two additional photos on his Instagram with a copy of the e.e. cummings poem. Then he took the post and photos down. So apparently, the Royal Family Instagram account eventually reposted the photos. I guess the firm wanted all official photos to be released through them.

Beatrice and Edo continue to look very happily in love on their special day. I'm seeing a lot of wonderful comments about how lovely the pictures are and how fitting and romantic it is to have a private, intimate family wedding (royal or not). I think that's true. Of course they're a lot of complainers who dislike this and that, or who whine about the wedding optics being used to distract from Ghislaine Maxwell's arrest. Honestly, that situation is going to be there regardless, and neither Beatrice nor Eugenie should have to pay for the sins of their father, or their mother.

The chapel is on the Windsor grounds near Royal Lodge, the huge home given to Andrew by the Queen. The history of Royal Lodge is fascinating. I learned more about it in a 2017 book: Cottages Ornés: The Charms of the Simple Life, by Roger White. This book discusses the history of the cottages ornés architectural style. Royal Lodge was originally a smaller home that was added onto extensively by the Prince Regent (George IV), son of King George III and the beloved Queen Sophia Charlotte (formerly a Princess of Mecklenburg-Strelitz). It was Queen Charlotte who was responsible for popularizing this architectural style, which has many historic examples all over England. The additions to Royal Lodge make it less of a cottage, but its renovations and history are covered in detail in this book.

In view of Angela Kelly's work on adapting the Queen's Norman Hartnell vintage dress for Beatrice, those interested might like to read Kelly's books: The Other Side of the Coin: The Queen, the Dresser, and the Wardrobe, 2019; and Dressing the Queen: The Jubliee Wardrobe, 2013.

Books on Norman Hartnell:
Norman Hartnell: The Biography, by Michael Pick, 2019
Silver and Gold: The Autobiography of Norman Hartnell, 2019

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
It's rather odd that Frogmore Cottage, which is a better example of cottages ornés is never mentioned in Roger White's book, Cottages Ornés. But Frogmore House (which is not a cottage is referenced)! It appears that Frogmore Cottage has always been considered an appendage or satellite of Frogmore House. To this day, contemporary media confuse Frogmore House with Frogmore Cottage, probably because they share the same name. Frogmore Cottage was made famous by M&H residing there, but Frogmore House is larger, more prominent on the grounds of Windsor and historically better known. Plus, the author of the book probably overlooked Frogmore Cottage because it served as rundown staff quarters for many years. King George III purchased Frogmore House for Queen Charlotte, and she often spent time there. Thus, she decided to have a smaller abode (Frogmore Cottage) constructed nearby in the cottages ornés style, which she used as a garden retreat.

Queen Charlotte also restored and added onto a cottage on the Kew estate, circa 1761, after the original structure was given to her as a wedding gift:

The estate had been inherited by King George III in 1772. He joined it with the royal estate in Richmond, thus the two estate gardens became one, later known as Kew Gardens. In 1840, the Royal Botanic Gardens at Kew were founded. British history, the history of monarchy, and British royal family history are endlessly fascinating (decadent, indulgent, tragic and dysfunctional, as well as heroic, triumphant, and magisterial, depending upon the particular reigning monarch's character or lack thereof).

Another good book to read if you have a fascination for British upperclass history: Aristocrats - Power, Grace, and Decadence: Britain's Great Ruling Classes from 1066 to the Present, by Lawrence James, 2009. This book "explains how and why a tiny elite exercised such a vast and persuasive influence over the course of British history. Aristocrats created the constitution, made laws and commanded armies and navies... They dictated patterns of taste and codes of conduct which remained in place until recently." The creation and growth of the British aristocracy was passed down historically via knighted men who amassed power and wealth through the King's favour as reward for their military skill in support of the kingdom.

Last edited:

MsZem

I see the sea
Okay, in non (small) royal wedding happenings:

Last week was CP Victoria's birthday + Princess Estelle is the best:

Queen Mathilde's mask game is strong:

The Dutch royal family have excellent hair:

ballettmaus

Last week was CP Victoria's birthday + Princess Estelle is the best:

I love how happy of a child Estelle seems to be. I have no doubt that her brother is just as happy a child but he is not third in line to the throne but every picture that I see of Estelle gives me the impression that she always enjoys whatever it is that they're doing, whether it's a birthday party or something she gets to attend because she's expected to one day be queen. It seems like Victoria (and Daniel) manage to make it all fun for her. :)

Lorac

quartz

scratching at the light
The more I look at the dress the more I love it. The detail is stunning. I didn't even notice the sleeves at first. I do think they are too puffy but they're not intrusive so the overall look is beautiful.

I adore that dress on her - I would have put sheer flutter sleeves on it instead of the puffy ones, but the rest of the dress and tiara makes up for them.

Vagabond

The three Dutch princesses are very much their father's daughters. Princess Ariane has a particularly strong resemblance to former Queen Beatrix.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
I think Beatrice's dress is my favorite of the 4 (Kate, Meghan, Eugenie & Beatrice - I can't remember Zara's, lol). I think the puffy sleeves were an homage to her mother's dress.

MsZem

I see the sea
I love how happy of a child Estelle seems to be. I have no doubt that her brother is just as happy a child but he is not third in line to the throne but every picture that I see of Estelle gives me the impression that she always enjoys whatever it is that they're doing, whether it's a birthday party or something she gets to attend because she's expected to one day be queen. It seems like Victoria (and Daniel) manage to make it all fun for her. :)
They do a great job of introducing Estelle to royal life in age-appropriate ways.

I LOVE the dress and the colour - and the fact she has a matching mask. Awesome :)
It's possibly the best Mathilde has ever looked.

The three Dutch princesses are very much their father's daughters. Princess Ariane has a particularly strong resemblance to former Queen Beatrix.
I don't know, I think Alexia is more Max than Wax. The other two resemble their dad. And Amalia is so tall! Definitely Dutch genes there :lol:

ryanj07

Ehhh.... Victoria’s dress is kind of boring to me, it reminds me of Meghan’s a bit. Kate’s is by far my favorite recent royal wedding gown.

Last edited:

MLIS

Yes, I loved Stéphanie’s dress ... although she could barely walk in it! It looked so heavy!

MLIS

I have long admired how Victoria and Daniel seem to be preparing Estelle for her future role. She is confident and comfortable in public appearances, and clearly close to both parents.

I think Beatrice's dress is my favorite of the 4 (Kate, Meghan, Eugenie & Beatrice - I can't remember Zara's, lol). I think the puffy sleeves were an homage to her mother's dress.

Zara’s dress was meh, but her head (hair, make up, veil, and tiara) was stunning. Absolutely gorgeous. I think Eugenie’s dress was my favourite of the recent British royal brides (I’ll also give a shout out to Lady Gabriella Windsor, who was married at Windsor last spring and looked absolutely stunning). Meghan’s tiara was my favourite.

canbelto

I think British royal family weddings have a history of not having the most flattering gowns because they know the wedding will be televised on tv and be a big deal. And so there's huge trains, huge veils, too much fabric and too much dress. Exhibit A is Diana's dress. It's like they design the dress for the occasion and not for the actual bride, if that makes sense.

MsZem

I see the sea
I think Eugenie’s dress was my favourite of the recent British royal brides (I’ll also give a shout out to Lady Gabriella Windsor, who was married at Windsor last spring and looked absolutely stunning). Meghan’s tiara was my favourite.
Eugenie's dress was beautiful, and I loved that she wanted to show off her scar.

In royal-adjacent dresses, Beatrice Borromeo has amazing wedding looks.

JJH

Eugenie's dress was my favorite. Meghan's tiara was my favorite. Meghan's veil was my favorite. I loved, loved, loved that veil.

Diana's dress suffered from the fact that it was the excessive eighties. Understated was not a thing. I actually didn't mind her dress. It was distinctive. It had personality. It had a point of view.

ryanj07

Royal adjacent since she married at Kensington Palace Gardens (okay, not really lol) but Nicky Hilton probably has my all time favorite wedding dress. I just love the lace detail and that gorgeous train and veil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information