Roman Kostomarov

twizzletoes76

According to the German Sports Information Service (SID) Kostomarov ist dying. While stil in an artificial coma, his body is too week, they say. In addition to the amputations, two strokes and cerebral hemorrhage, also the ocular lens of his right eye had to be removed.
Thank you for reporting this. I’ve been following the news here and given the dire nature of Kostomorov’s conditions—I’m not surprised. At first reports when I heard just amputation, I assumed there would be a recovery process—but now it’s clear that his body is beyond that. Oddly enough, I remember looking at Roman’s Instagram account this summer and fall and sort of marveling at the life he was leading. He had this beautiful family; seemed to be involved in tons of athletic endeavors; was still doing show work; —and, above all seemed fiercely proud of his body. I doubt he’s a person I’d have wanted to hang out with or get a beer with (I think we’d have different political/life views... 🙄)—yet, it was still impossible to look at his account and not appreciate that here was this extremely good looking person (same age as myself) who at that moment was in his absolute physical prime. Yet, that’s why there seems so much irony in this—this physical body that he was so proud of just failed him. It was no match for whatever malignant infection invaded him. He probably thought he was invincible when first noticing symptoms but, sadly, none of us are. That’s why the news of his decline has seemed not just “sad” and “unfortunate” but also “devastating” and “incomprehensible.”

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
Averbukh has given fans at his shows the opportunity to bring letters for Roman and they have been piling up. They are also going to donate some of the money they make in the shows to Roman's family.
Another report said that a couple of shows in which he was supposed to skate were cancelled.

And of course, some Russian yellow press outlets have started digging into Kostomarov's past and all of his scandals like getting drunk before an exhibition, leaving Navka and then Semenovich, his love affairs, have been brought back into the spotlight. Not like these things are news to FSU, but it's quite disgusting they have decided to dig this up right now while he is fighting for his life.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
have decided to dig this up right now while he is fighting for his life
Unfortunately, this happens often when reporters are researching for a likely obituary. Those who don’t follow skating or those too young to remember find things and go “Ooh, I didn’t know that. It would make a good article for the paper.”

Yuri

All the Russian outlets are reporting that doctors are slowly waking Roman up out of his coma and everyone remains cautiously optimistic about his recovery. Here is the Sport-Express article:

"He really had one microstroke, and he is still slowly coming out of the medically induced coma, gradually waking up. It's not a quick process. According to other indicators, at the moment it is normal, but doctors are closely monitoring the left hand - there are certain questions about it, "TASS quoted the source as saying.

Yuri

Reports about Roman's health and recovery generally have been positive lately (still lots of speculation going on...) -- especially since Roman has recovered to the point that he wants to control the public information about it, now that everyone knows he's alive and recovering his health. Hopefully Roman will be able to tell the world himself about positive news in time.

The famous Russian figure skater Roman Kostomarov asked the people around him not to talk about his state of health.

"Now the most important news is that Roman is alive and nothing threatens his health. This is what people need to know.

When he gets to the rehabilitation center, takes the necessary courses and leaves, then he will tell everything if he decides and wants. Now he asked for silence," said a source familiar with the situation.

Cherub721

YEAH!
Roman has posted another video on his Instagram.

All I have to say is: WOW!

Dude's a real "muzhik" as we say in Russian. A force to be reckoned with. Although I have never liked him as a person, he has my full respect now and I wish him all the best for his recovery.

To think so much of the discussion here was about when he would finally pass. This is not the life he wanted, but he will have a life, be a father and husband. Amazing.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
To think so much of the discussion here was about when he would finally pass. This is not the life he wanted, but he will have a life, be a father and husband. Amazing.
A famous Russian influencer named Rustam Nabiev who has also lost both legs completely due to an accident when he was serving in the army (their dormitory collapsed and most of his fellow soldiers died, he survived, but both legs had to be completely amputated) said a couple of months ago that Kostomarov now has to make a choice whether he wants to live and make the best of his life or just fade away.

Nabiev married his girlfriend after he had lost his legs, has had two beautiful daughters and is a world-record-holder for the highest and/or most (I don't quite remember) mountains climbed only with the use of his hands and arms. He also offered Kostomarov to contact him in order to talk, since they are more or less in the same boat and Roman could profit from his experience and could be motivated to keep going.

I am glad Roman chose the "Nabiev-way" instead of giving up on life completely. I have no idea whether these two have been in contact, but anyway: Roman Kostomarov is so brave and strong.
Now I am even sure he will somehow make it back to the ice.

Miezekatze

I don't really doubt he'll be able to skate again. Modern prosthetics are so good,people do all sorts of Sports with them. And since it seems top be below knee , knee bending shouldnt be a Problem.

I know there are people who skate with one prothestic leg who are not professionals, i think there was a woman on Dancing in Ice. Not Sure If anyone has done it with 2 ,but i bet its possible.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
I don't really doubt he'll be able to skate again. Modern prosthetics are so good,people do all sorts of Sports with them. And since it seems top be below knee , knee bending shouldnt be a Problem.

I know there are people who skate with one prothestic leg who are not professionals, i think there was a woman on Dancing in Ice. Not Sure If anyone has done it with 2 ,but i bet its possible.
It looks like both hands may be required to.have prosthetics?

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races

myhoneyhoney

Here is the video from his Instagram.

Who would've thought that the guy who bashed gays and in general was a douchebag lots of times would turn out such a grateful, humble and strong dude?
Of course he will show appreciation to those who helped save him. It doesn’t mean he’s changed how he feels regarding people who are gay and that he’s no longer a douchebag though. Time will tell.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information