RIP Cecil

bardtoob

It is sad that Cecil appears to have been a very high quality male lion in terms of being physically impressive, dominant, and well adjusted as an alpha male, which means that his offspring would have been a credit to the dwindling numbers of their race. Now, with the Scum Wad's intervention, weaker lines of lions are going be fill the dwindling ranks.

Meoima

No, but the Siberian Tiger sub-species does.

If only they could adapt the White Lion to that climate. ;)
There has been no scientific evident that Siberian tigers can be white in nature though. Even the white Siberian tigers in captivity are not pure white Siberian, they're cross-bred with Bengal tigers. Until now only Bengal tigers are known to have the white gen and the gen is double recessive.

rvi5

There has been no scientific evident that Siberian tigers can be white in nature though. Even the white Siberian tigers in captivity are not pure white Siberian, they're cross-bred with Bengal tigers. Until now only Bengal tigers are known to have the white gen and the gen is double recessive.
I wasn't actually discussing whether tigers or lions are cross-bred, pure white, or how they came to exist (natural or otherwise). My response was whether such an animal could survive long in the wild due to the white fur. Although lions do not live in a winter climate, we know a tiger can (as illustrated by the existence of the Siberian tiger). Certainly a white tiger would have an advantage hunting during the winter season.

Can a white lion survive in the wilds of Africa? Although tigers are typically solitary creatures, perhaps a white lion could survive if it is part of a pride. A male white lion would have it easier, since the females typically do most of the hunting. I am not certain how a white female lion would be accepted by the pride, if it wasn't able to do it's share of the work efficiently.

Last edited:

rvi5

According to Brent Stapelkamp, Palmer and his guide ignored Jericho to kill Cecil instead. I am not sure how Stapelkamp knows this. Perhaps foot prints or GPS tracking data for Jericho and Cecil?

http://abcnews.go.com/International/happened-harrowing-hours-cecil-lion-killed/story?id=33044279

Palmer not above using bribes to get what he wants...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-guides-cover-10-years-slayed-Cecil-lion.html

Did Palmer "take", "dispatch", "harvest", or "kill" Cecil? Was Cecil wounded or sick? An article about hunting terminology...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...ake-kill-word-choice_55b8e465e4b0a13f9d1aea2c

Last edited:

sk8pics

Stories about the portrait have been reported around the world and the artist Aaron Blaise has been inundated with requests for prints. Here's an update from his website:

Aaron Blaise website

I'd like to know what the music is too. It was so perfect and haunting. I was :wuzrobbed before the video was over.
I bought one of these prints, and it is just gorgeous. Printed on good quality paper and stunning, vibrant, colors.

I was looking today for some updates on the cubs and Jericho, but didn't find anything really new. But I did watch one interview where the guy said that Jericho had been walking the perimeter of their territory calling softly. Not making too much noise, not wanting to attract attention, but calling for Cecil. That story must be from before he abandoned the pride, or maybe right around that time. It broke my heart.

katmari

I was looking today for some updates on the cubs and Jericho, but didn't find anything really new. But I did watch one interview where the guy said that Jericho had been walking the perimeter of their territory calling softly. Not making too much noise, not wanting to attract attention, but calling for Cecil. That story must be from before he abandoned the pride, or maybe right around that time. It broke my heart.

The ABC show 20/20 aired an episode about Cecil. Here's a clip from it where the topic is how Cecil's death affects the pride:

http://abcnews.go.com/video/embed?id=33099939

:(

It sounds like it may be the clip you watched?

sk8pics

@katmari Yes, it was a clip from that show. I just found out about it and started watching it on line, but I have to stop for now. Getting late and I have other things to do rather than crying over this brutality, again. I'll watch it tomorrow. I did see on line a little while ago that most of the cubs are still alive, and Jericho is still near by.

rvi5

Typical Lion hunt advertisement?

https://www.discountafricanhunts.com/hunts/south-africa-free-range-lion-hunt.html

It seems contradictory that the number of lions is "astounding", yet there are very limited permits issued. The quantity of permits would seem to imply there are too few lions to risk issuing more.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/cecil-lion-trophy-hunting-industry-africa-explained/story?id=32785057

ETA: The advertisement also mentions US based writers are falsely indicating there are no free range lion remaining. I suspect there is a difference in the definition of "free range". The hunting outfitters are likely defining "free range" as any Lion not in a cage or fenced area. The writers are probably excluding National wildlife parks from the definition of "free range". Clearly there are few Lions outside of the National parks. Otherwise, why are these hunts always held on properties adjacent to the parks? The advertisement above specifically mentions a park (Kruger National park), and the poor fencing. Cecil was baited out of Kwange National park onto adjacent private property. I suspect baiting is more frequent than documented. With a boasted 90% success rate, I doubt they are just waiting for a Lion to wander off the park. Palmer and his guide were just stupid enough to get caught because they targeted a collared research animal.

Last edited:

sk8pics

I read tonight that it's estimated there are only 3500 dominant males --heads of prides -- left. I know there are many other endangered species, I know many others have already gone extinct. But this just makes me so sad.

sk8pics

Just watched the 20/20 special. It is sad to see the footage of Cecil when he was alive, but it was a good show. Saddest thing to me is that Jericho called for Cecil for 10-12 days. The guy from the group studying Cecil said something to the effect of, now he realizes he's alone, and he's desperate to find his friend. :(

Japanfan

Saddest thing to me is that Jericho called for Cecil for 10-12 days. The guy from the group studying Cecil said something to the effect of, now he realizes he's alone, and he's desperate to find his friend. :(

Yes, that had me tearing up.

rvi5

I wonder if he will ever return. With his homes and exotic trips he sounds like he had more income that what dentistry provides which is depressing. If he is broke he can't go on these killing sprees.
Apparently Palmer is back in one of his Minnesota homes.

His dentistry income is likely supplemented by money from his wife. Which is how he can afford three homes, trophy hunting trips, and $20,000 in bribes reportedly spent to keep his guides silent about the illegal bear hunting activity.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...mer-cecil-the-lion-killer-first-pictures.html

Last edited:

sk8pics

I saw today on Facebook the guy thT was interviewed on 20/20 who works for Oxford said the 7 cubs are all alive and healthy and the 3 lionesses are okay, too. He showed video he shot yesterday. Didn't mention Jericho, but I think the post mentioned Jericho is still calling for Cecil. :(

sk8pics

More lions moving into the area. May cause problems for Cecil's pride. We'll see.

Meoima

I read somewhere, the Lion population in Africa has been reduced by 82% over the last century. Not as much as the 97% Tiger reduction, but still a significant amount. Below is an interesting 2013 report shedding light on the hunter's claims they are helping communities and conservation...

How much does trophy hunting really contribute to African communities?
The more I see articles like this, the more I feel like I want bad things happen to trophy hunters. I feel so sad for all the wild lives that have lost their lives because some bastards want to have some fun.
I remember all the articles about elephants headless bodies in my country. The more I tear up. Many bastards contribute nothing to the society in general. I don't feel bad if they meet the same ending as they did to these animals.

Cachoo

A friend forwarded this link to me, so I am posting it here. Sorry if it's already been posted.

http://blog.humanesociety.org/wayne...wd_082115&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=cecil

Thanks for posting it: I am glad there is something positive to come out of all of this. I think the bans on trophies, the money raised for organizations trying to help lions and other animals and knowing that so many around the world are in agreement about this practice helps. It still sucks that he was killed.

I'm disappointed that the dentist was not charged. I saw parts of his interview and he brings up comments or threats made to his wife/daughter and how concerned he was for his staff at work instead of what he did to Cecil. I'm sure his publicist told him to talk about anything other than the actual act. So I'm not sure I buy his concern for people around him. I'm sure his return to work will bring out some protesters.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
So I'm not sure I buy his concern for people around him. I'm sure his return to work will bring out some protesters.
I do. People aren't all evil or all good. This man thinks trophy hunting is just fine. Therefore, the upsetting part to him isn't that he killed a lion but that his family was threatened. I'm sure he cares about his family and being threatened, even though most of the threats were clearly people venting, is not fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information