RIP Cecil

Cachoo

This is footage of Cecil the beautiful, black-maned lion when he was alive. If you have been watching the news an American dentist and his guides lured him away from the preserve (reserve?) he was on and killed him. I believe Zimbabwe officials may press charges.

This same dentist killed a black bear in Wisconsin then drug his body forty miles where it would have been legal to kill it. He was caught. What a scumbag.

RIP Cecil.
https://youtu.be/H4a2htZ2wIQ

oleada

This news item is really pissing me off. First of all, I don't know how you can look at an animal like Cecil and think "yeah, that majestic creature would look great on my wall!". Also, to lure an animal from a national park with bait, attached to your car, injure it and watch it suffer for 40 hours?! That is poaching and animal cruelty. It is cowardly and it requires no skill or sport. He was skinned and his body left to rot. It serves no purpose.

I know people defend big game hunting as saying money goes back to the country or preservation of species, but lion numbers are down dramatically and the fact that they had to entice a lion seems to show they're not so plentiful. And now a valuable creature is dead and his Cubs will die too once a new male takes over. If they want to support wildlife, take a safari and take pictures, don't shoot endangered animals for some ego trip

I wish they could feed the dentist and the guide to Cecil's pride. ugh.

alexikeguchi

This is the scene outside the dentist's office, which was shuttered today after all their social media was inundated with hate mail.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CLBxz-OWIAA2v_b.jpg:large

Here are a couple links to his hometown paper, and he sure sounds like a piece of work.

http://www.startribune.com/zimbabwe-2-to-appear-in-court-for-killing-cecil-the-lion/318828251/
http://www.startribune.com/what-we-know-about-minnesota-dentist-walter-palmer/318943371/

I doubt he'll receive any adequate punishment from the criminal justice system of this country or Zimbabwe, but I'm glad he is being publicly shamed. Hopefully, he will never work again and won't be able to afford his junkets around the globe to kill innocent animals.

Jimena

This has been pissing me off all day long. It's revolting. I hope there are some consequences for him. I'm really not into the whole Internet shaming phenomenon, but boy he deserves it. He should get the Michael Vick treatment or worse. What a waste of a human being.

Poor, poor Cecil.

Meoima

This news ruined my yesterday and today too. Disgusting human being, and it's not just him, not just this case. There have been many cases like this. I don't get why human can become so low.

The sad thing this bastard will likely get away with his crime which is so disgusting to know beforehand.

And I have just read an interview in which another hunter defends this bastard. I swear that I would be happy if this bastard loses everything and being thrown out the street to get hate for the rest of his life.

Seriously I want to use some stronger words but I am not barbaric and psychotic as this disgusting bastard.

Japanfan

BittyBug said:
Reading about this earlier today really made me hate the world. I hope they throw the book at him and that he does time. What a vile human being.

I've not had a good day and reading this is threatening to spiral me out of control emotionally. I want to scream, or cry, or both.

In the article linked above, Palmer said:

Again, I deeply regret that my pursuit of an activity I love and practice responsibly

:confused::confused::mad:

Who could love spending thousands of dollars to kill beautiful animals like Cecil just for the the fun of it, and torture them in the process? Aside from the fact that the money he spent to kill Cecil could have supported how many impoverished Africans, for how many years?

To be honest, I can understand ISIS better than this monster of a human being, with his 43 kills (?). And all of the other members of the club he belongs to. (Having computer issues so can't reference the article again).

Who would want this guy for a dentist? I'm not a fan of violence, but an image of Palmer's head on a wall comes to mind. I would not mourn his death for a moment.

RIP Cecil and Cecil's pups. :mad::(

Last edited:

Angelskates

The sad thing this bastard will likely get away with his crime which is so disgusting to know beforehand.

The good thing is, that even if he somehow gets away with this legally, he won't publicly. Everyone knows what he has done, and I hope he suffers significantly from that. I do also hope he does jail time.

bardtoob

Coward ... How in the world can anybody be proud of using overwhelming technology to kill a majestic animal that is neither a threat nor intended to be a meal nor clothing? ... @@#%&%$&-#@ sociopathic coward

ETA: The Piece of Sh*t has also killed a rhino ...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ing-killed-Cecil-Lion-bow-arrow-Zimbabwe.html

I am sicked every time I think about his claim of legality and responsibility. He feels he has a clear conscious, and only regrets the social repercussions.

Last edited:

Meoima

The good thing is, that even if he somehow gets away with this legally, he won't publicly. Everyone knows what he has done, and I hope he suffers significantly from that. I do also hope he does jail time.
You know I wish that he will have a horrible ending like what he has done to so many wild lives, does that make me cold-hearted and barbaric?

TOADS

Toad whisperer.....
When we were at Disneyworld this past March, we went to the Animal Kingdom Lodge that overlooks the wildlife park. One of the guides there was from Zimbabwe and since it was not crowded, we had a chance to talk with him for about half an hour. He told us about the preserves they have in Zimbabwe and he talked at length about Cecil the Lion, having seen him himself.

I wonder what is going through his mind this morning besides the overwhelming sorrow.

I say turn the dentist over to the Zimbabwe government for prosecution. He could spend the next 10 years hunting cockroaches in his jail cell in a fine Zimbabwean prison facility......

aliceanne

It doesn't seem like hunting when the lion was so tame he wouldn't even bother to get up when approached by a vehicle full of tourists.

I can't help wondering if these preserves are making the animals more vulnerable to poachers by getting them used to being around tourists and causing them to lose their fear of people.

That guide has a gold mine. He owns the land adjacent to the preserve. All he has to do is lure the animals off the preserve and he has $50K, no tracking needed and the animals probably don't even run when approached - an easy target for his clients.

I'm not sure how you would know that the animal had GPS until after the kill. Unless he went on the preserve to lure the lion off, it doesn't sound as if the guide did anything legally wrong.

Gypsy

Waiting for Snow!
I will never understand killing for the thrill of it. This man deserved to rot in jail for taking such a majestic life.

Years ago, the person who did my taxes thought he would love a real bear skin rug. So he paid to go on one of those hunts. He did kill a bear and got his rug, but talked at length about how the minute he pulled the trigger how sick and ashamed he was. He was so sorry he had taken such a beautiful animals life. He kept the rug as a reminder of how cruel and horrible these kinds of hunt are. He ended up spending his time & money advocating ending this kind of business. He also volunteered his time to protecting bears and other wildlife. At least he learned a lesson and tried to educate others that it is a cruel "sport".

MsZem

I see the sea
I wouldn't mind it if someone did some anesthesia-free dental procedures on him. Poor Cecil, and his cubs. They deserved better.

Hunting is not something that would ever appeal to me, but I can at least understand it when people eat what they hunt (which is probably more ethical than some ways of getting meat anyway). But to kill animals just for the satisfaction of killing is repulsive. This is one case of internet shaming that I don't mind at all.

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado
Who could love spending thousands of dollars to kill beautiful animals like Cecil just for the the fun of it, and torture them in the process?
I am with you here.
To be honest, I can understand ISIS better than this monster of a human being
You do? Please explain beheading people on youtube and throwing gays, blindfolded and bound, off tall buildings. Because my mind refuses to process.

Yehudi

AITA
Hunting is not something that would ever appeal to me, but I can at least understand it when people eat what they hunt (which is probably more ethical than some ways of getting meat anyway). But to kill animals just for the satisfaction of killing is repulsive. This is one case of internet shaming that I don't mind at all.

I am of this opinion too, and many hunters would actually find people like Palmer deplorable. He shot an animal that was conditioned to not to be wary of humans. He did it at night. He used a vehicle and a spotlight. In other words, it wasn't a fair chase. And he didn't give it a quick death.

Really, there was no purpose. It wasn't to get food. There was no skill. It was just some rich guy who wants to brag to friends that he killed a lion.

Last edited:

Cachoo

Ita about the cubs too since the new alpha was sure to dispose of them. It is too bad there could not be some intervention there but I understand keeping to the "rules of the wild" so to speak.

The dentist pulled down his social media but he could not close his YELP account and has been getting all sorts of posts there. Frankly I wish Zimbabwe would extradite him and try him. He might think twice about doing this again after a prison sentence in one of their jails.

I hope his customers drop him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information