What's your thing?

twilla

I thought it might be nice to share our hobbies, collections, secret passions (besides our beloved figure skating). So here's my thing(s):

I collect Polish Pottery. I've been collecting for probably ten to fifteen years. I have most of the dishes and serving bowls and platters that I need to host a holiday or get together. Now I concentrate of specific pieces I might want and once a year or so I make a purchase. If I let myself, I could get lost on the internet for hours looking at patterns and how others choose to display their collections.

I'm interested in sea glass. I don't live near areas where the public can search for sea glass. The Chesapeake Bay has some areas but sea glass is notoriously difficult to find and much of the property is privately owned. I follow a few sea glass sites on FB. I have sea glass from the Chesapeake Bay, Lake Erie, Puerto Rico, and coastal England.

I follow lions. Yes, I know...you're probably thinking, "What??!" FB and IG have amazing groups with friendly people, who are very welcoming and willing to share their knowledge. And there are also live safaria's you can join from the comfort of your sofa. I got into following lions because one day I want to go to Africa on a photo safari. I researched which country would be the best place to visit based on what I want to see and do and got hooked on lions. I also discovered that there are so many places I want to go that I'll probably never see it all. I want to visit Victoria Falls, which borders Zambia and Zimbabwe. I want to visit Giraffe Manor and Maasai Mara National Reserve in Kenya. I want to visit Serengeti National Park and the Ngorongoro Crater in Tanzania. And how could I not visit Zanzibar if I'm in Tanzania? And I also want to visit Shamwari Private Game Reserve in South Africa. I'm not a fan of many things SA does in terms of their wildlife management but Shamwari seems to get things right. Shamwari also posts videos on youtube every couple weeks about all the wildlife in the park.

The lions are all so interesting. They have distinct features, personalities and histories. They will break your heart when you learn of their deaths (like Scarface, Othawa Male, Sparta Princess). But they will also make you laugh and learn, and then suddenly you realize that you've become a fan. Here are the lions I follow:

Morani, who lives in the Maasai Mara. He is very old but he is a badass. He is also the lion featured in my photo.
https://petapixel.com/2021/12/28/oldest-lion-in-kenya-captured-in-stunning-photos/

Snyggve (Bob, Jr), who lives in Serengeti National Park. His face is so distinctive. He is immediately recognizable, with a copper-colored, ombre mane. https://www.instagram.com/p/CWD_XD6qZ5y/?utm_medium=share_sheet

Jack, who was translocated from Addo Elephant Park to Shamwari Private Game Reserve for the purpose of adding new genes to the park's lion population. Jack is just reaching his prime at four years old. He is absolutely stunning. I look forward to every update from Shamwari and I can't wait to see what this lion boy does over the next few years. If you happen to go to Shamwari's youtube page, they do not name their lions. Jack is referred to as the "Nomadic Male" because he doesn't have a pride yet. The park is hoping he'll take over the Central/Northern Pride.
https://www.heraldlive.co.za/weeken...ack-the-lion-settles-in-at-new-shamwari-home/

I hope the links work. If they do you should be able to see at least a photo of each lion.

I took a chance and shared some of my hobbies outside of figure skating. So tell me, what's your thing?

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I ride (hunters over fences) means there is no time element...just go out and jump the 8 fences in the correct order.....with the correct number of strides between related fences. Like if you watch Olys, the jumps that are grouped (like a triple...jump....jump....jump) ride around the corner.
I have a wonderful group of women at my barn. Many of us have been riding together for over 20 years. We win, we lose, we fall, we get up.

Riding is a judged sport - like figure skating. So, the judge may have sold a horse to one of your competitors (oh that horse will bet a boost) or a judge just may not like grey horses.....or whatever. And as in pairs, there are two of you to be judged. But unlike pairs, the horse can't tell you how he is feeling.

I began riding as an adult. This makes it a completely different sport than if you started as a child. A child has no sense of mortality. That perspective serves one well as an adult. If you begin as an adult...you know all the things you are responsible for, and your mother is not going to handle your life while you recover from a fall.

I have an incredibly wonderful and fabulous horse. He is not fancy. He did not cost a gazillion dollars. Oh, and he needs a tail transplant. But he is a good man. He is honest and true. You ride to the jump, he jumps the jump, and we go to the next jump. No stopping, no running out (where you duck out the side rather than going over the jump) no insanity. I had to let another person ride him through a summer. He wins almost every time he goes into the ring. And, that is my guy!

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I thought it might be nice to share our hobbies, collections, secret passions (besides our beloved figure skating). So here's my thing(s):

I collect Polish Pottery. I've been collecting for probably ten to fifteen years. I have most of the dishes and serving bowls and platters that I need to host a holiday or get together. Now I concentrate of specific pieces I might want and once a year or so I make a purchase. If I let myself, I could get lost on the internet for hours looking at patterns and how others choose to display their collections.

I'm interested in sea glass. I don't live near areas where the public can search for sea glass. The Chesapeake Bay has some areas but sea glass is notoriously difficult to find and much of the property is privately owned. I follow a few sea glass sites on FB. I have sea glass from the Chesapeake Bay, Lake Erie, Puerto Rico, and coastal England.

I follow lions. Yes, I know...you're probably thinking, "What??!" FB and IG have amazing groups with friendly people, who are very welcoming and willing to share their knowledge. And there are also live safaria's you can join from the comfort of your sofa. I got into following lions because one day I want to go to Africa on a photo safari. I researched which country would be the best place to visit based on what I want to see and do and got hooked on lions. I also discovered that there are so many places I want to go that I'll probably never see it all. I want to visit Victoria Falls, which borders Zambia and Zimbabwe. I want to visit Giraffe Manor and Maasai Mara National Reserve in Kenya. I want to visit Serengeti National Park and the Ngorongoro Crater in Tanzania. And how could I not visit Zanzibar if I'm in Tanzania? And I also want to visit Shamwari Private Game Reserve in South Africa. I'm not a fan of many things SA does in terms of their wildlife management but Shamwari seems to get things right. Shamwari also posts videos on youtube every couple weeks about all the wildlife in the park.

The lions are all so interesting. They have distinct features, personalities and histories. They will break your heart when you learn of their deaths (like Scarface, Othawa Male, Sparta Princess). But they will also make you laugh and learn, and then suddenly you realize that you've become a fan. Here are the lions I follow:

Morani, who lives in the Maasai Mara. He is very old but he is a badass. He is also the lion featured in my photo.
https://petapixel.com/2021/12/28/oldest-lion-in-kenya-captured-in-stunning-photos/

Snyggve (Bob, Jr), who lives in Serengeti National Park. His face is so distinctive. He is immediately recognizable, with a copper-colored, ombre mane. https://www.instagram.com/p/CWD_XD6qZ5y/?utm_medium=share_sheet

Jack, who was translocated from Addo Elephant Park to Shamwari Private Game Reserve for the purpose of adding new genes to the park's lion population. Jack is just reaching his prime at four years old. He is absolutely stunning. I look forward to every update from Shamwari and I can't wait to see what this lion boy does over the next few years. If you happen to go to Shamwari's youtube page, they do not name their lions. Jack is referred to as the "Nomadic Male" because he doesn't have a pride yet. The park is hoping he'll take over the Central/Northern Pride.
https://www.heraldlive.co.za/weeken...ack-the-lion-settles-in-at-new-shamwari-home/

I hope the links work. If they do you should be able to see at least a photo of each lion.

I took a chance and shared some of my hobbies outside of figure skating. So tell me, what's your thing?
Very interesting hobbies. I too love Polish pottery but I don't collect it. I bought may be one piece while visiting Poland. Didn't want to carry a lot of weight in my suitcase.

My current hobby is oil painting, mainly landscapes. That goes well with my other hobbies - travel and photography.

In the past I was practicing the martial arts. I was in public speaking for 17 years but I have left all of that.

Cachoo

I have always loved ornaments and I absolutely love Breen ornaments whether it is Christmas or Easter or Halloween. The current season is Easter but the archive also has some beautiful examples of her work. She operates out of Krakow.

Patricia Breen Designs™

DreamSkates

I ride (hunters over fences) means there is no time element...just go out and jump the 8 fences in the correct order.....with the correct number of strides between related fences. Like if you watch Olys, the jumps that are grouped (like a triple...jump....jump....jump) ride around the corner.
I have a wonderful group of women at my barn. Many of us have been riding together for over 20 years. We win, we lose, we fall, we get up.

Riding is a judged sport - like figure skating. So, the judge may have sold a horse to one of your competitors (oh that horse will bet a boost) or a judge just may not like grey horses.....or whatever. And as in pairs, there are two of you to be judged. But unlike pairs, the horse can't tell you how he is feeling.

I began riding as an adult. This makes it a completely different sport than if you started as a child. A child has no sense of mortality. That perspective serves one well as an adult. If you begin as an adult...you know all the things you are responsible for, and your mother is not going to handle your life while you recover from a fall.

I have an incredibly wonderful and fabulous horse. He is not fancy. He did not cost a gazillion dollars. Oh, and he needs a tail transplant. But he is a good man. He is honest and true. You ride to the jump, he jumps the jump, and we go to the next jump. No stopping, no running out (where you duck out the side rather than going over the jump) no insanity. I had to let another person ride him through a summer. He wins almost every time he goes into the ring. And, that is my guy!
I used to own a fabulous horse who would do anything for me, and ride, ride, ride! So glad you are able to do this and have a fabulous horse. Enjoy all you can!

DreamSkates

My biggest interest is playing music. I have played for many years both classical pieces and traditional church music and fiddling (mostly bluegrass with some old-time, Irish and also waltzes in the mix). Recently I reuinited with a friend who sings and plays keyboard so we are preparing to be a duet for performing publicly. We've both done this before but are going in a different direction now. I'm also learning to play cello and she is learning violin. We are really enjoying this venture. It's a challenge but the time we spend practicing and exploring songs is enriching, fun and fulfilling. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information