RIP Cecil

puglover

With the internet and quick cell phone pictures and videos, things become public very quickly for good and bad. I think on the positive side, public opinion will impact on unjust or inhumane practices. Zimbabwe hopefully will have fewer and fewer people willing to pay big money to risk this kind of publicity. Palmer may not ever be prosecuted but I doubt his life will ever be the same. I know of a very well known equestrian who had some unfortunate pictures of one of his horses that went viral and cost him at the very least several big sponsors, not to mention his reputation.

Cachoo

I don't think I will ever understand the "Palmers" of the world. That said I did watch the 60 Minutes piece about the places in Texas who provide game for these hunters. But unlike the wild they have large herds and keep the healthiest, youngest and biggest to keep the line strong. And, if they are telling the truth, less than 20 percent are used for the hunts. And the hunters, in effect, pay to keep the rest of the herd alive and well. Many are species that either are or might be in trouble soon.
Like I said, I don't like any of it. But if I had to choose between two evils I would take this. I wish we would leave the truly wild animals alone.

sk8pics

A year later, Cecil's cubs are still alive and well under Jericho's protection. :)

Photos of some of the now older cubs appear near the bottom of this article.
I had read in another article recently that the cubs are not seen with Jericho, but are living in his territory. It's a tribute to the lionesses that the Cubs are still alive. And they're old enough that it's likely they would be viewed as potential mates, rather than competition. So, yay for the moms, and yay for Jericho not killing them.

rvi5

I read an article which mentioned some of the cubs were seen playing, while Jericho was nearby watching. Even if Cecil's pride has not been absorbed into Jerichos. His nearby presence would provide some protection. Other male lions would be hesitent to start trouble within Jerichos territory. The fact they were already two prides living together before Cecil's death, may have made it easier for Jericho to accept their presence within his territory.

Last edited:

sk8pics

I read an article which mentioned some of the cubs were seen playing, while Jericho was nearby watching. Even if Cecil's pride has not been absorbed into Jerichos. His nearby presence would provide some protection. Other male lions would be hesitent to start trouble within Jerichos territory. The fact they were already two prides living together before Cecil's death, may have made it easier for Jericho to accept their presence within his territory.
Oh yes, I agree Jericho played an important role. But it's not exactly like he took them in. I agree, it probably helped that there were already 2 prides.

What broke my heart, was hearing about Jericho wandering on the edge of their territory, calling softly for Cecil after he was killed.

rvi5

...What broke my heart, was hearing about Jericho wandering on the edge of their territory, calling softly for Cecil after he was killed.
Sad. I recall it was thought Jericho had abandoned the two prides, but he was just searching for Cecil. Didn't they lose one cub to a roving male lion while Jericho was away? :(

However, in addition to Cecil's remaining cubs surviving, Jericho has since sired a couple new cubs... :)

http://www.classicsafariafrica.com/blog/2016/01/jerichos-new-cubs-at-the-hide/

Last edited:

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
*** Son of Cecil the lion killed by trophy hunter :
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/jul/20/son-of-cecil-the-lion-killed-by-trophy-hunter
Xanda was the pride male in a group with two adult lionesses and cubs which roamed near the boundary of the national park. “He was shot 2km from the park boundary, which is a hop and a skip for a lion,” Loveridge said.

The scientists want a 5km no-hunting zone around the park. “It is something we have suggested for years,” he said. “But there is a lot of resistance because a lot of the hunting happens right on the boundary, because that is where the animals are. The photo-tourism operators in Hwange are very keen to have that discussion. They are annoyed that this has happened.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information