Reviews for 'Spinning Out' (Netflix's Figure Skating Drama) - who's watching?

Sylvia

TBD

Official site: https://www.netflix.com/title/80201590

Sylvia

TBD
Relevant excerpts:
Two of the show's stars who are definitely doing all their own skating are Johnny Weir, who played Gabe, and Jonathan Van Ness, who played Bruce. Weir is a two-time Olympian in figure skating, which means no skating double was required for his role. Van Ness is not a professional skater, but he has been training on the rink for some time. Bruce didn't pull any moves on the ice that JVN himself couldn't do.
... January Jones' skate double was Emma Cullen, a young Canadian skater. Meanwhile Scodelario's character Kat had four skating doubles throughout the 10 episodes. Her jump double was Kim Deguise Léveillée, a Canadian skater and coach who was the 2014 junior national champion. Léveillée was also the skating double for Kat's sister Serena. Kat's regular skating double was Michelle Long, another Canadian skater. Two women also played Kat's pairs skating double. In episodes 3 and 4, Elizabeth Putnam did the pair skating as Kat. Putnam is a two-time Canadian bronze medalist in pairs skating with her partner Sean Wirtz. In episodes 7 and 10, Evelyn Walsh was Kat's pairs double.
Walsh performed alongside Justin's (Evan Roderick) double Trennt Michaud. The duo was especially good at Kat and Justin's signature move — the lasso lift. That's when the woman does the splits above the man's head and he spins her around. "I think we did 20 lasso lifts [to get it right for one scene]. It was awesome," Walsh told The London Free Press of her Spinning Out stunt double role [article link]. Justin's regular skating double was Dylan David Moscovitch, who won a silver medal at the 2014 Olympics with the Canadian team.
The other two doubles used throughout the series were Lilika Zheng, who skated for Jenn and Madeline Schizas who skated for Leah.
Walsh/Michaud, Long and Schizas have qualified to compete at Canadians later this month. DeGuise-Léveillée competed at Challenge last month.

Tahuu

Just watched the first two episodes. I think I may finish watching the show. It seems to have all the skater-parent, parent-parent, skater-skater, male coach-female skater dramas. The end of the 2nd episode was Kat told Justin as she pushed his hand away from her hip in their first lesson together:"We are just partners. OK? That's never, ever, happening again." Warning to parents - both episodes I watched have sex scenes.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
It's sssssooooo sssslllloooowwww! (I'm in the middle of the second episode.)

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Mervin Tran tweeted about the first two episodes. Tarah Kayne asked him if he would live tweet:

I'm not sure how Mervin could call this show "accurate." Sure, a lot of the off-ice drama with the crazy mom, the self-harm, and the medical issues are realistic, but so much of the skating stuff is not.

gkelly

And Kat had all her triples but had never passed her Senior test? :lol:

Well, that I could believe . . . if she had been competing seriously as a junior when she was injured and then stepped back from the sport for several years before deciding to test out.

I just watched the first episode so far. I'm not clear on the backstory timeline, or whether that will ever become clear or important.

AliasJohnDoe

Headcase Addict
Binged all 10 episodes of "Spinning Out" on Netflix New Years Day. Enjoyed it....but....too many plot lines going on at once. Especially climaxing at the most crucial time in every scene. That said, hope there's a second season. The "look" of the oldest sister reminds me of a combination between Nancy Kerrigan and Ashley Wagner.

Last edited:

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
I've only seen the 1st 2 eps so far. Very happy that this is more in the vein of Flesh and Bone than Ice Princess.

As always, the technical parts of skating are just ridiculous but I am here for it.

Sonata

After watching episode 1 and half of 2, my impression is that the show is very uneven. For example, within the first 5 minutes, there’s a lot of swearing (including the c-word) that made me roll my eyes. It’s like they want to signal right away that this is a “serious”, “gritty”, “real” drama. Just seemed like lazy dialogue to me. But then, at other times, there are stereotypical teenage mean girl scenes and follow-your-dream scenes as well as a Cutting Edge-type storyline.

Overall, IMO there are too many melodramatic storylines at once. Drugs! Alcoholism! Skater mom! Sibling rivalry! Mental illness! Self harm! Hooking up! PTSD! Financial burden of skating! Skaters not having a long term plan and not getting an education! Inappropriate coaches! Rink gossip! Teenage pregnancy! Child abuse! Overtraining! Somehow all this was squeezed into the first episode. The melodramatic music doesn’t help.

Don’t get me wrong - I enjoy some melodrama (I am a figure skating fan, after all) but like any good skating, it’s all in the execution.

And on a skating note, how is the fact that the main character’s best triple jump is a triple toe a good thing? It’s the easiest jump.

sequin

spoiler for episode 9 enclosed

that doctor storyline... with the grooming and everything... they really packed in every single ounce of skating drama possible into ten episodes

georgiana08

Binged all 10 episodes of "Spinning Out" on Netflix New Years Day. Enjoyed it....but....too many plot lines going on at once. Especially climaxing at the most crucial time in every scene. That said, hope there's a second season. The "look" of the oldest sister reminds me of a combination between Nancy Kerrigan and Ashley Wagner.

Me too. If it's even mildly successful, I feel like Netflix would be stupid not to have the fictional Olympics in the show line up with Beijing.

dramagrrl

This show is terrible and awesome at the same time, in the same way Make It or Break It was for gymnastics. I watched every episode of MIOBI with guilty pleasure glee, and I will likely do the same with this. :lol:

Lilia A

I’m just waiting for the 15 yr old with quads to come in and spoil the party...

I binge watched all 10 episodes. Imma use spoiler tags
no quads, but two girls with triple axels show up to sectionals. No triple axels shown on screen. The 3As are not impressed.

Also, loved the "you must work on your triple toeloop
but then she can do triple flips and lutzes like nothing

I, too, had to :lol: at the fact that it was the boy desperate for a good girl partner. Also had to :lol: at the fact that a short guy wants a fairly tall girl, who's never done pair skating, to be his pairs partner.

Anyway, this was interesting
and yeah, the crooked doctor part was a major yikes element here
. A lot of things don't make sense, but it's a show, so it doesn't matter. I wonder if there will be a season two. I want to know if
tall girl and short guy made it nationals and beat Johnny
and whether
the mom gets arrested for wacking the doctor with a bat; although he's better off keeping his mouth shut as his punishment would be far greater
and of course
speaking of the creepy doctor, will Jenn stop being an idiot? Hey, what if the doc is lying about her never skating again?? Hmmm I mean, why not?

That's all folks. Not the first, and won't be the last, time I binge watch Netflix. Good day and good night.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Drugs! Destruction! Drama!

Instead of Spinning Out, the creators should have called the show, Walley Of The Dolls.

It sounds like must-see trainwreck TV.

How I would have preferred Jennifer Cormeaux's books to be brought to the small screen instead. Her talent for plot and character development is first-rate.

Sylvia

TBD
Choreographer Sarah Kawahara's role is explained in this article:
Excerpt:
Kawahara’s first step was to find “a team of coaches” who could work with her actors before she got to meet with them. Scattered across Vancouver, London and Los Angeles, these coaches and actors trained together for approximately two months before they all got together in January 2019. Kawahara shares that she had about three weeks in January before production began where she could really focus on choreographing “them as to how they would move in the beginning” and to ensure they were “learning the language” of skating.
Scodelario and Roderick not only had to learn to figure skating, but they also had to learn to pair skate, which Kawahara says is “no small feat, even for two people who have been skating all their lives.” Additionally, Kawahara worked with many skating doubles for the actors because there were just some moves they couldn’t perform themselves. Zhou, Kawahara shares, did all of her own skating except for the jumps, while Scodelario had three different doubles because her role “demanded three different levels of skating.”
Someone on Twitter told me today that Grayson Long, the current Canadian Pre-Novice Men's champion who trains with Brian Orser, "also had a small role as Eddie."

ETA:
How I would have preferred Jennifer Cormeaux's books to be brought to the small screen instead. Her talent for plot and character development is first-rate.
Comeaux. :)

Last edited:

Miezekatze

I've only watched the first 2 episodes and it IS really trashy, but it's definitely also very entertaining, so I'm definitely finishing it.

I think the best moment was the accident of rich boys first partner getting her toe pick stuck in her other foot dramatically :rofl::rofl: Kats own accident seemed relatively unlikely too, but that one certainly topped it.

I don't find the skating stuff soooo terribly unrealistic as in other movies on skating, but I think the problem is that there's all this drama and everybody wants to compete at Nationals or get to the Olympics , but while the skating looks ok, everybody still skates on the level of people who peak at like 26th at Europeans or something. Something between Kemp & King and Tugba Karademir or something (nothing against her level of skating).

But from an entertainment of view, it's a fun show and I suppose people who don't have an idea about skating, won't notice the unrealistic stuff anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information