Random Bits Of Trivia

Cachoo

Random bits of information: Post odd bits of trivia here:

In France apparently it is illegal to name a pig “Napoleon.”

MsZem

I see the sea
In 2006, when Steve Irwin was tragically killed by a stingray, the family also lost a tortoise named Harriet. Harriet was given her name by Charles Darwin who brought her with him from the Galápagos Islands. Harriet was believed to be 176 years old.
Jonathan sends his regards.

One of the grandchildren of President Tyler (b. 1790) is still alive. Another passed away recently, 158 years after his grandfather.

vu2019

Jonathan sends his regards.

One of the grandchildren of President Tyler (b. 1790) is still alive. Another passed away recently, 158 years after his grandfather.

I learned last year that the Blake brothers who founded what became the Friendly's ice cream/restaurant chain in 1935 were both still alive at the time. The younger brother passed away last May, at age 102. The older brother is still alive at 105. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/30/obituaries/curtis-blake-dies.html

Cachoo

“Eleven plus two” is an anagram of “twelve plus one”— both have 13 letters and the answer is 13.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
Vivian Leigh as Scarlett O'Hara, the most quintessential southern belle ever, was actually British as was her love Ashley (Leslie Howard).

MsZem

I see the sea
The span of time from grandfather to grandchild is incredible.
I decided to try and find out who was the next oldest president to still have living grandchildren, but couldn't figure it out from Wikipedia (FDR was as far back as I got). But I did find this gem while looking:
Gavin Arthur (born Chester Alan Arthur III; March 21, 1901 – April 28, 1972) was a San Francisco astrologer and sexologist and a grandson of U.S. President Chester A. Arthur. He has been described as "an Ivy League dropout, an Irish Republican Army activist, an experimental-film actor, a commune leader, a gold prospector, a teacher at San Quentin, and a bisexual sexologist/astrologer. An early gay rights activist and a practical prototype for the hippies."
ETA: more history and offspring of dead presidents.

Last edited:

Cachoo

I decided to try and find out who was the next oldest president to still have living grandchildren, but couldn't figure it out from Wikipedia (FDR was as far back as I got). But I did find this gem while looking:

ETA: more history and offspring of dead presidents.
Never a dull moment with Gavin! 😀

taf2002

I didn't know either one had the key. Or that Lafayette had it the first place. Why did he have it & why would he give away? Inquiring minds.......

Peaches LaTour

Vivian Leigh as Scarlett O'Hara, the most quintessential southern belle ever, was actually British as was her love Ashley (Leslie Howard).

And casting the totally lifeless Howard in such an important role in GWTW, was a huge mistake.

taf2002

And casting the totally lifeless Howard in such an important role in GWTW, was a huge mistake.
But he was fully as lifeless in the book as Howard portrayed in the movie. He was a spoiled rich boy who didn't know how to navigate in a different world than that he grew up in.

Peaches LaTour

But he was fully as lifeless in the book as Howard portrayed in the movie. He was a spoiled rich boy who didn't know how to navigate in a different world than that he grew up in.

You miss my point. The character of Ashley was a rich, entitled "Southern Gentleman" who could not cope with the realities of his life after the war. Howard did nothing to bring the richness of this character's inability to cope to the screen.

It is, IMO, Howard as an actor who failed to bring this character to life. He didn't want this role & it shows in his lack of understanding of Ashley on every level.

Cachoo

I didn't know either one had the key. Or that Lafayette had it the first place. Why did he have it & why would he give away? Inquiring minds.......
Lafayette was in charge of the French equivalent of a national guard unit that received the key after the storming of the Bastille and sent it to Washington as George looked upon the Marquis as the son he never had. Apparently Thomas Paine had something to do with the delivery.

MsZem

I see the sea
The Washington Post has a new story about the Tylers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information