Pokemon Go part 2

MacMadame

Doing all the things
There's at least one Raid a day at the gym at my work. Since I have to go outside to fight reliably (the GPS sometimes says I'm in the parking lot when I'm sitting at my desk), I've only done one so far. There's also a gym down the street that I pass into and out of work and on Wed. for lunch. I've got a Pokemon in there too. I wish I'd known about the nanab berries as I fed it some Razzberries on the way to work!

But feeding it was probably stupid as it's been in long enough to earn 50 coins so I might as well have let it get kicked out so I could earn them. I thought of that as I drove away.

PrincessLeppard

Holding Alex Johnson's Pineapple
I did a raid today and got a Croconaw. The recommended raid size was five, but I took it down myself with a Gyardos.

And yesterday I caught a Skarmony. And also, I have a Pokemon stuck in a gym as well. Which I guess is fine? But I'd like my 50 coins... Because it is just 50 coins right? Not 50 coins per day?

beepbeep

Brazilian Eurotrash
My Blissey has been on a gym for 72h now.
When I think it's going to lose its motivation, someone goes and feeds it.
It will be really upsetting to get only 50 coins for it, given that it's holding down the place so well (which is probably what is going to happen).
Also, the badge for that gym is now bronze and I've been getting an extra item qhen I spin its Pokestop.

antmanb

But feeding it was probably stupid as it's been in long enough to earn 50 coins so I might as well have let it get kicked out so I could earn them. I thought of that as I drove away.

This is the realisation I've had. I panic left my highest gyarados at one gym and he's the highest one and someone keeps feeding him....I've had three pokemon in gyms since yesterday morning and none have been kicked out so I can't have my 50 coins, and you know when one goes all three will go.

But I'd like my 50 coins... Because it is just 50 coins right? Not 50 coins per day?

I think it is just 50 coins and once you get them you have to wait 24 hours to get any more.

Also, the badge for that gym is now bronze and I've been getting an extra item qhen I spin its Pokestop.

Where can you tell what badge a gym has? I noticed that when I spin a pokestop in one of "my" gyms I get some message about the team but I've not read it properly.

beepbeep

Brazilian Eurotrash
The badge is on the same page as the medals. The badge's sides look bronzey... I didn't read any messages either.

And, my Blissey was returned to me after 78h... with only 50 coins :mad: So, absolutely no point in keeping a Pokémon for more than 500 minutes at a gym.

oleada

I think it is a frustrating system for those who were used to being able to collect more...personally, it was so hard to take over a gym and the turnover rate was so quick that I've never held more than one gym at a time, often for just minutes. I've probably collected more since the update than in the past 11 months of playing.

That said, my Blissey has been at a gym for close to 500 minutes now so someone please feel free to take over it...

MacMadame

Doing all the things
It says "Team Bonus" @antmanb. I have no idea what that means. Sometimes I get it and sometimes I don't. My Gyarados has less than half a heart filled in so it may be coming to me soon! :)

I got an email from Niantic about Raids and now I understand them better. I haven't been participating in the ones near my work because I have to leave my desk but I may try to do more especially over the weekend. And I think I'll start putting middle-of-the-road Pokemon in gyms so they get kicked out faster.

antmanb

It says "Team Bonus" @antmanb. I have no idea what that means. Sometimes I get it and sometimes I don't. My Gyarados has less than half a heart filled in so it may be coming to me soon! :)

I got an email from Niantic about Raids and now I understand them better. I haven't been participating in the ones near my work because I have to leave my desk but I may try to do more especially over the weekend. And I think I'll start putting middle-of-the-road Pokemon in gyms so they get kicked out faster.

Yes I've been leaving lower CP pokemon and it worked - three pokemon got kicked out (all at once as predicted) so I got my 50 coins, but my gyarados is still stuck in the gym and he's my best pokemon :mitchell: free gyarados:mitchell:

I don't think I get emails from Niantic - are there any hints and tips you could share about raids? I've yet to take part in one but I think I might try this weekend.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
They just say that if you beat the boss Pokemon, you get goodies. I did not know that.

oleada

I don't think I get emails from Niantic - are there any hints and tips you could share about raids? I've yet to take part in one but I think I might try this weekend.

Level 1 and 2 raids can be done solo but you definitely need help for 3 and 4. I would use high IV Pokémon that counter the boss's type well.

You can get special candy that transforms into the candy of whatever Pokémon you feed it to, golden Razz berries, revives and items that change your Pokémon's moves.

After you beat the boss, you get a chance to catch it. You will be given special silver Pokeballs to use on them. If you use up the balls without catching the Pokémon, they will run away.

Tyranitars are an absolute bitch to catch.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
That was definitely not in the email! :D [I deleted it or I would just post it here.]

I find the emails to be basic but still helpful compared to not getting them.

dinakt

I think it is a frustrating system for those who were used to being able to collect more...personally, it was so hard to take over a gym and the turnover rate was so quick that I've never held more than one gym at a time, often for just minutes. I've probably collected more since the update than in the past 11 months of playing.

That said, my Blissey has been at a gym for close to 500 minutes now so someone please feel free to take over it...
I used to put pokemon in out-of-the-way gyms (for example, on the hiking trails, so less used), and collect 10 points a day for long periods of time. Now, in out-of-the-way gyms my pokemons are stuck indefinitely without rewards, so it is time for new strategies.
I won raids over Flareon and Bayleef singlehandedly, but failed spectacularly against Alakazam (level 3).

MacMadame

Doing all the things
My understanding is that the Pokemon get demotivated over time so the out-of-the-way gyms should still kick them out eventually. I don't know how long it takes though.

dinakt

My understanding is that the Pokemon get demotivated over time so the out-of-the-way gyms should still kick them out eventually. I don't know how long it takes though.
Maybe somebody is feeding them. I have a few Pokemon that have been stuck for days.
Hoping that they don't all get kicked out at the same moment.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Mine finally got out on Friday. I haven't gotten back into another gym because I've been busy.

antmanb

I may have gone to a friendly gym and fed a Gyarados and a Dragonite all the berries I could :shuffle: All the pokemon were looking quite low, but I want the gym to stay friendly but have some kicked out so I can put mine in.

The pattern around where I live seems to be that a group of blue team go round at the weekend and take everything over, and then as the week goes on some of the blues turn to other colours. Driving out to my home are a couple of less frequented gyms including a new one that used to just be a pokestop. I left a 1500CP Snorlax in there yesterday evening and it's still there by itself, though its motivation has gone down a bit so hopefully someone will see fit to kick him out and take over the gym and I can get some coins.

PrincessLeppard

I had three in gyms yesterday, and one has been returned to me and it looks like I got the 50 coins :cheer2:

Also, does anyone know the point value when you take down a gym? I spent about 20 minutes defeating one, but it doesn't look like my XP went up all.

beepbeep

Brazilian Eurotrash
Is there an anniversary event going on?

I just caught a Pikachu with an Ash cap :)

antmanb

@PrincessLeppard I think you only get 150XP for taking down a gym....it's rubbish compared to the old XP you used to get for taking down a high level gym. Especially if you took it over from say level 6 - you'd often net over 2000XP.

I think they need to change the XP, though in fairness it does seem a lot easier to beat the pokemon in the gym now - even blissey isn't much of a problem and I rarely use more than two pokemon to get through 6 fully motivated pokemon.

That anniversary box: 6 incubators, 6 max revive, 2 premium raid pass and 20 ultra balls do not seem worth 1200 coins!

I was hoping they'd do a double points thing and have been saving my evolutions :angryfire:angryfire

PrincessLeppard

I thought the anniversary box seemed high as well. I was interested in the incubators, but the rest is meh.

moojja

I'm pretty disappointed with the anniversary celebration too.
But I guess with all new roll outs, they didn't feel the need for something extra.
Although there is a new Pikachu with baseball hat.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
it does seem a lot easier to beat the pokemon in the gym now - even blissey isn't much of a problem and I rarely use more than two pokemon to get through 6 fully motivated pokemon.

That anniversary box: 6 incubators, 6 max revive, 2 premium raid pass and 20 ultra balls do not seem worth 1200 coins!
6 incubators is 900 coins though. So you are getting everything else for 300 coins. I would buy it but I haven't got 1200 coins! :lol:

I took down a gym yesterday and it was almost too easy. Fine by me. I got about 25 coins for my efforts. I'm in the gym at work now and hopefully I'll be kicked out later tonight. There's a RAID starting up though so I suspect I'll get kicked out then. I accidentally put a wimpy Pokemon in there instead of a medium-strong one.

Does anyone know the difference between a RAID pass and a Premium RAID pass?

oleada

@MacMadame , no difference. The Raid pass you get once a day for free; premium you pay for and can have as many as you want.

I'm disappointed in the anniversaries event too. I want more candy or stardust! I've been hoarding Dratinis and Larvitars for months, waiting for a double candy event.

PrincessLeppard

Uh, does anyone know what the rare candy does for me? I got one yesterday after a successful raid and all it says is that it can change into any Pokemon's candy. Like, just one?

eta: just googled. yep, just one. Which I guess if you are like one away from the next evolution, it would come in handy.

Last edited:

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
I got three of the rare candy from a raid. I'm trying to evolve a Chancey at the moment and it's such a slog. :yawn:

antmanb

I got three of the rare candy from a raid. I'm trying to evolve a Chancey at the moment and it's such a slog. :yawn:

Yes I walked my chancey for months to get some measly candy, and then right when I was about 5 candies away I hatched a chancey and it tipped me over.

oleada

Yes I walked my chancey for months to get some measly candy, and then right when I was about 5 candies away I hatched a chancey and it tipped me over.

I have been walking my Mareep for months and was only two candies away from an Ampharos. Then an Ampharos spawned in my apartment on Friday and I got a ton of candy with the pinap berry. Its like the game knows or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information