Papadakis CIzeron #4 - Happiness Does Not Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amantide

I agree with you. Some of the lifts need work to be a bit more spectacular while staying in tune with the choregraphy which is gorgeous. But isn't it amazing that Gabi and Guillaume's mastery comes evident mostly in slow motion ? When they are at normal speed it's so fluid and beautiful one has difficulty to see the seperate elements. I'm finding they are the only ones for which it is so. With all the other ice dancers I've seen so far you can see right away what is going or not going on.

Idk, I think their lifts are great. They're such an integral part of the choreo and musical phrasing that you do not have the feeling of them doing it cause it is a required element. You know what I mean? You don't have that thought "oh, here comes the lift now. Check". No, it's part of the story telling through body movements. I wouldn't change that for a "big spectacular" lift.

annie_mg

Idk, I think their lifts are great. They're such an integral part of the choreo and musical phrasing that you do not have the feeling of them doing it cause it is a required element. You know what I mean? You don't have that thought "oh, here comes the lift now. Check". No, it's part of the story telling through body movements. I wouldn't change that for a "big spectacular" lift.

I totally know what you mean! For me lifts should fit the music and be part of the programme, not necessarily creating a WOW moment (though sometimes the music demands that). I actually find it annoying when people who don't know anything about skating get excited just because of the lifts. Skating is more than that, especially ice-dance.

Enchanted

I totally know what you mean! For me lifts should fit the music and be part of the programme, not necessarily creating a WOW moment (though sometimes the music demands that). I actually find it annoying when people who don't know anything about skating get excited just because of the lifts. Skating is more than that, especially ice-dance.

It's also possible to have both, lifts that fit to the music and that have a wow moment at the same time. The lifts don't need to be acrobatic to achieve that. If I think about separate icedance elements that wowed me at last worlds, the absolute highlight is the lift by P/C in which he is in a spread eagle position. It's stunning: his flexibility is outstanding, there was wonderful ease of movement, speed and flow.

Amantide

Oh absolutely. If the music and "storytelling" (so to speak) demands it, by all means go ahead with big lifts. I've liked in the past some big and beautiful lifts from Weaver&Poje or Chock&Bates. But yes, I do like them when they fit the music and does not interrupt the choreo. It's like with the twizzles as well. For me it's not enough just to execute them well. They should be on point with the music. It's one of the reasons I love Shibs twizzles and I noticed P&C are doing the same in the last 2 season. I didn't like much their twizzles before but they have improved a lot and loved them in the FD.
You are right, skating and especially ice dance is more than that. Actually, my favorite element in general and in particular ID is the step seq. :swoon:

Isabelle.G

So many compliments for Gaby : my day is made. :glamor:
They seem to be growing more and more into that perfomance and I'm doing the same. :D Gabi is exceptional here. (But is she lacking something anywhere else? :lol:) I'm so glad she's getting more recognition she rightfully deserves.

Yes, the performance could have been better, but those small mistakes will motivate even more. And it's always better to peak at the most important event/s than before! :)

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
It's a tricky balance between progressing and peaking to early, this was just the perfect score to keep them motivated. I need to rewatch because I'm always too nervous and now following all the competitions, commenting and putting up links on another website. I'm going a bit nuts.

Laney

Wow, they get better and better!!! I´m so happy that Gabby gets so many compliments! It´s so well deserved! She´s incredible. And I think I like her in the SD a bit better than Guillaume which is not easy as he´s so hot :D

Miloune

They seem to be growing more and more into that perfomance and I'm doing the same. :D Gabi is exceptional here. (But is she lacking something anywhere else? :lol:) I'm so glad she's getting more recognition she rightfully deserves.

Yes, the performance could have been better, but those small mistakes will motivate even more. And it's always better to peak at the most important event/s than before! :)

Where did they make a mistake?

Miloune

I think it was during the twizzles. Either Guillaume made an extra rotation or Gabi one less, I'm not sure. The camera work doesn't help to analyse that either.

I don't see it.. in the third set? Cuz they do it the same way they've done before...!

Isabelle.G

I don't see it.. in the third set? Cuz they do it the same way they've done before...!
Here: https://youtu.be/3gXsG_7Ek_M?t=303
The second set, it's apparent in the slow-mo. According to Charlie White, it was probably Gabi. And I could have sworn it was Guillaume doing one more rotation. :lol: But I don't think that's something to worry about. It has probably cost them even a higher score, but it's better to absolutely peak later than now and then have problems. :)

Last edited:

Miloune

Here: https://youtu.be/3gXsG_7Ek_M?t=303
The second set, it's apparent in the slow-mo. According to Charlie White, it was probably Gabi. And I could have sworn it was Guillaume doing one more rotation. :lol: But I don't think that's something to worry about. It has probably cost them even a higher score, but it's better to absolutely peak later than now and then have problems. :)

Oh yeah ok I see it now... To me it just looked like they were a bit out of sync, I didn't see that Guillaume had done one more turn. But I think they did the number of rotations required so yes it only costed them some GOEs... Thanks!

cocotaffy

Does anyone know who's the lady seating close to Guillaume in the K&C ? Just watched Charlie White comments on the Oly Channel. He seems to like their take on the SD but did say Guillaume should turn it down a notch for Gaby to shine even more. Guillaume turn it down, please no. Plus Gaby is just fine shining like a star. Great about the Non touching, now they can clean up the details till GP and hopefully keep improving that score.

Last edited:

firstflight

Just watched Charlie White comments on the Oly Channel. He seems to like their take on the SD but did they Guillaume should turn it down a notch for Gaby to shine even more. Guillaume turn it down, please no. Plus Gaby is just fine shining like a star.

What's kind of funny is that when Ben Agosto did commentary at CoC, he specifically said he wanted more energy/over-the-top in that last sequence to "Shape of You" for a strong finish. I've said in other places that Ben can find his words more easily than Charlie, who has to kind of search around a bit for phrasing what's in his mind.

But, I think this bit of Charlie's commentary about Guillaume needing to dampen his upper body movements to let Gabriela shine is phrased in a way that actually crosses into "ugh" territory. He's describing a norm he thinks is pretty set in terms of male/female role in a Latin ballroom dance routine, which is fine. And, yes, his other areas of advocacy apart from skating make me think the world of him. But, Gabby and Guillaume are personally and professionally interacting as a team in a "different" way than the traditional, so Charlie's comments come across to me as kind of out-dated and missing the point.

MAXSwagg

Gabriella sold that! Brilliant! This is the way to it! The other thing that was clear to me is the rumba pattern was the best it's ever been. Beautiful ease and flow, deep edges, crisp and clear steps and turns throughout and in the key points.

As for Charlie's comments, I disagree too. They both matched nicely for this performance, and people WANT to see Guillaume. People want to see BOTH! As for me, my eyes were drawn to Gabriella, because as I said, she was SELLING IT and really drew me into the performance with her confidence!

I do not understand the criticism of this short dance at all. It has enough Latin content (as I pointed out in the dance thread, specifically) and this type of music is what will get laypeople interested!

mollymgr

Charlie doesn't like Latin at all. He has made it clear several times. His opinions about Latin do not count because he is already biased against it. I think Charlie is secretly envious that he will never be as good as Guillaume at Latin.:lol: I don't think Guillaume should dampen anything. Latin and dampen shouldn't even be used in the same sentence together. They both look great IMO. Just bring it!!!:smokin:

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Charlie doesn't like Latin at all. He has made it clear several times. His opinions about Latin do not count because he is already biased against it. I think Charlie is secretly envious that he will never be as good as Guillaume at Latin.:lol: I don't think Guillaume should dampen anything. Latin and dampen shouldn't even be used in the same sentence together. They both look great IMO. Just bring it!!!:smokin:

Gotta say I am with Charlie on this. If we never had Latin again it would be super fine with me. And P/C were great...except for the Latin part

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
What's kind of funny is that when Ben Agosto did commentary at CoC, he specifically said he wanted more energy/over-the-top in that last sequence to "Shape of You" for a strong finish. I've said in other places that Ben can find his words more easily than Charlie, who has to kind of search around a bit for phrasing what's in his mind.

But, I think this bit of Charlie's commentary about Guillaume needing to dampen his upper body movements to let Gabriela shine is phrased in a way that actually crosses into "ugh" territory. He's describing a norm he thinks is pretty set in terms of male/female role in a Latin ballroom dance routine, which is fine. And, yes, his other areas of advocacy apart from skating make me think the world of him. But, Gabby and Guillaume are personally and professionally interacting as a team in a "different" way than the traditional, so Charlie's comments come across to me as kind of out-dated and missing the point.

Charlie is correct here. It is the woman's dance.

cocotaffy

I just love when Ben Agosto is commenting, everything is so on point and he's not afraid to point out mistakes. Charlie is fine, a great skater and has nice insights on the US teams but he does make mistakes and rambles on a bit. Ben should do the whole season of ID and could have Charlie as his sidekick.
I think Charlie is secretly envious that he will never be as good as Guillaume at Latin.:lol: I don't think Guillaume should dampen anything. Latin and dampen shouldn't even be used in the same sentence together. They both look great IMO. Just bring it!!!:smokin:
He said so himself, not about the Latin specifically, but last year at their first GP competitions in the Trophee de France, he said, when I grow up I want to skate like them. So you are probably right. Guillaume's flexibility is what makes both Charlie and Ben rave compliments. I guess it resonates with them.
As for dampening, they've been said ad nauseum not to be able to do anything else but soft and lyrical so now they're bringing it on. Good for them, showing that elusive and infamous versatility.

Last edited:

Anyasnake

For Charlie comments, I think I was a bit surprised by the "project the woman more", especially from him but that is his opinion and I totally respect that. But like he said he nitpicks, and I think he doesn't just throws compliments away like that without tonning down on some points. He is right to do that since nothing's ever perfect, but we don't have to always agree on those questions of style and taste :D I love that he is doing the commentary though. He said in an interview he didn't like latin on the ice because it doesn't translate well and he's right. I think the SDs this year are actually nothing like 2006 and 2012. I really like them :biggrinbo

Isabelle.G

Sorry for the double posting but this little clip was made about their work at Gadbois. Rather interesting and the first time we see them and V/M in the same locker room (nothing earth shattering but still funny)
https://twitter.com/BFMSportTV/statu...57486603177985
Thanks for the link. That's definitely interesting. I'd love to see more, but have to be content even with a material like this appearing from time to time. :D

As for the commentary - I don't mind Charlie commenting, but prefer Ben Agosto's opinions. Mainly because he's able to be precise and get to the point, he doesn't need too much time to search for the right words. But that's been already mentioned here, I guess. :)

I hope Marie-France will come with Romain to the Europeans, I miss her too. But no wonder she's barely anywhere, they must have a lot of things to do and teams to prepare this season. :D

Anyasnake

I hope Marie-France will come with Romain to the Europeans, I miss her too. But no wonder she's barely anywhere, they must have a lot of things to do and teams to prepare this season. :D
I would have loved to see her there, but we only got to see her at Skate Canada and that's understandable : Regina wasn't too far away by plane from Montreal but Japan, China, France... and they have a daughter too ! They are already so busy with too many teams too handle (I think they do that fantastically though) but she's probably going to GPF so one trip to Japan is enough...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information