Papadakis CIzeron #4 - Happiness Does Not Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cachoo

Ben Agosto's VERY DETAILED commentary : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tka18KMrxcY
So interesting to hear the point of view of a dancer on elements.

I hope the judges have some experience on ice and can empathize with Ben's words and what these two are doing on the ice. I hate the idea of someone judging who doesn't understand the challenges for all ice dancers. And these two are so unique imho---true innovators in the field. I appreciate V and M because they can adapt to so many styles and do it with such sass and expertise. When P and C emerged I felt like I was seeing something totally new; the male as the lead in the dance with a female who complements him beautifully. Watching C glide around P in a "Moonlight" unlike any I've ever seen gives you one of those "glad I'm alive to see this" feelings. Bravo!

Anyasnake

There's plenty I see new about P/C, but having watched so many Torvill and Dean videos, this wouldn't be one of them.
I actually discover Torvill&Dean (or should I say rediscover because I knew the Bolero routine because it's SO famous) because someone pointed out the male presence into P/C's team; how big of a presence Christopher Dean was.
But I was born after T/D's second Olympic so I didn't know them before, but I knew the Bolero FD.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Can someone articulate why they like Moonlight Sonata better than Stillness or even Build A Home? I think Stillness is their best FD and didn’t rave about Mozart -feel like I’m in the minority with these opinions among P/C fans :lol:

Stillness is my favourite FD, I thought they reached a level of emotion with that program they never had before, I liked it from first viewing (proper viewing, not that masters video that did the rounds) MS is my least favourite of their last four so I'm in the minority with you. It might come across better live and the judges seem to like it so that's what matters I guess.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Just a quick comment on the discussion of fan reactions in the V/M thread. I recall last season posting here that people needed to chill and that the PCS didn't favour either team during the GP series and yet some of the very people looking at the crazy reaction over there and scratching their heads are the same ones who thought the sky was falling in here last year so you know, glass houses people ;)

Miloune

Just a quick comment on the discussion of fan reactions in the V/M thread. I recall last season posting here that people needed to chill and that the PCS didn't favour either team during the GP series and yet some of the very people looking at the crazy reaction over there and scratching their heads are the same ones who thought the sky was falling in here last year so you know, glass houses people ;)

I don't remember this thread ever reaching this level of dramatics though...

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight

Get back to us when people here are committing board suicide en masse over one result of a rival team. ;)

Cachoo

I actually discover Torvill&Dean (or should I say rediscover because I knew the Bolero routine because it's SO famous) because someone pointed out the male presence into P/C's team; how big of a presence Christopher Dean was.
But I was born after T/D's second Olympic so I didn't know them before, but I knew the Bolero FD.

Dean is wonderful but I still think he is dancing traditionally and presenting Jayne beautifully. I just don't see anyone doing what C is doing. Maybe it is that Ciz is so incredibly balletic that he makes everything look new. Chock and Bates followed P/C with a lyrical piece and I think it was well done and at no point did Madison look anything less than the lead in that dance with Evan presenting her at every opportunity. Imho it looked entirely different than the lyricism you see with P/C.

Anyasnake

Dean is wonderful but I still think he is dancing traditionally and presenting Jayne beautifully. I just don't see anyone doing what C is doing. Maybe it is that Ciz is so incredibly balletic that he makes everything look new. Chock and Bates followed P/C with a lyrical piece and I think it was well done and at no point did Madison look anything less than the lead in that dance with Evan presenting her at every opportunity. Imho it looked entirely different than the lyricism you see with P/C.
I was told that their partnership (T/D) was so innovative at the time. So today, you might think of it at "traditional" to a dancing point of view, but they were really special.
I almost agree with the comparaison with C/B (Evan presenting Maddi) however, I thought Evan looked amazing in both his routines and stood out more than usual. But for sure different.

Cachoo

I was told that their partnership (T/D) was so innovative at the time. So today, you might think of it at "traditional" to a dancing point of view, but they were really special.
I almost agree with the comparaison with C/B (Evan presenting Maddi) however, I thought Evan looked amazing in both his routines and stood out more than usual. But for sure different.

True. When I mention other teams it is not in any way to disparage them I think the teams are inventive and a joy to watch. For me one team is different and passionate and that is P/C and one team is both expert and passionate and this is V/M. And as much as I love the Shibs I'm curious to see if H/D are on the move. I love their choices this year. I would not want to be a judge.

arakwafan2006

I truly want Tessa and Scott to win but I'm thinking they need the French to make a mistake to make that happen

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Arent they just delicious????

And they got a score that was higher than V&M which says to me that this OGM isn't just going to go to V&M without a fight.

Question - Im trying to learn the rules.... what constitutes "Latin?" To be honest I don't like their Ed Sheeran stuff for "Latin."

Is it just the steps that need to be Latin? Or? I mean could a team go out there and skate to "Papa Dont Preach" and call it Latin? That part Im trying to understand..... The Ed Sheeran just don't work for my taste for Latin.

Having said this I HOPE SO MUCH they win OGM (or shibs)

dramagrrl

MS is my least favourite of their last four so I'm in the minority with you. It might come across better live and the judges seem to like it so that's what matters I guess.

MS ranks third out of their last four FDs for me. To Build a Home was my favourite and, IMO, had way more impact and emotion. But as @marbri says, the judges seem to be convinced by MS... and I don’t dislike it. I just find myself checking out of parts of it because it doesn’t quite hold my attention as an entire fluid piece.

debo

That was just achingly beautiful among a number of FDs I quite like a lot this year. Bravo! The Olympic competition will be spectacular. Can the most knowledgeable directors and camera people be found now, please?

I’ve watched Ben Agosto’s smart analysis of their SD and he seems to have pinpointed the places points can be gained.

Nmsis

Question - Im trying to learn the rules.... what constitutes "Latin?" To be honest I don't like their Ed Sheeran stuff for "Latin."

Is it just the steps that need to be Latin? Or? I mean could a team go out there and skate to "Papa Dont Preach" and call it Latin? That part Im trying to understand..... The Ed Sheeran just don't work for my taste for Latin.
Can't say for the rules.
First music is actually the latin remix by Zion y Lennox (aka Felix Ortiz and Gabriel Pizarro) of Ed Sheeran's Shape of You.
And the second part is Thinking Out Loud by Ed Sheeran, remastered by Karl Hugo with a conga beat on top of it.

OTOH, Chock and Bates are skating on the latin version by Marc-Anthony of a raï song sung in french and arabic by Khaled.
Virtue and Moir are skating to the Rolling Stones.
Hubbell and Donohue are skating to franco-algerian drummer Guem.
Stepanova and Bukin are skating to australian pop singer and eurodance german djs.
And so on.
In the top 10, 70% of the musics are anything but "latin".
So one might guess that as long as the rythm/beat is right, the music is right.

maya1985

Ugh I really hope they work on a "real" exhibition number for the bigger competitions.
I do not think that this is their top priority:), it is not very important even if I like the beginning of this exhibition.
Congratulations to them for their great victory, improving their personal best score with wonderful programs:cheer2:. Their Moonlight Sonata is just magical, mesmerizing:saint:

Miloune

I do not think that this is their top priority:), it is not very important even if I like the beginning of this exhibition.
Congratulations to them for their great victory, improving their personal best score with wonderful programs:cheer2:. Their Moonlight Sonata is just magical, mesmerizing:saint:

Of course it's not a priority, but I still wish they'd find the time.

Isabelle.G

Of course it's not a priority, but I still wish they'd find the time.
Maybe this isn't even their attempted number for exhibitions this year? They may plan sth for the Grand Prix Final. But I agree. As much as I love them, I haven't enjoyed their exhibitions programs as much as the competitions. I want the SD and FD to be their highest priority, but an exhibition number with new elements would be nice. Let's see what they'll skate to next time. :)

whiteskates

Congratulations to them on their win! But....I still can't love this FD as much as I did the Mozart one in 2015. Maybe it is because they were such a new and fresh surprise back then and maybe because I saw the Mozart FD live at Euros and that was fabulous. They brought the house down with that one. I think that if I saw Moonlight Sonata live, I might love that just as much though. Anyway, I hope they win Olympic gold and will keep my fingers crossed for them.

Cachoo

I almost agree with the comparaison with C/B (Evan presenting Maddi) however, I thought Evan looked amazing in both his routines and stood out more than usual. But for sure different.[/QUOTE

You know maybe P/C should thank T/D for making innovation possible. I think while most people were thrilled by "Bolero" , for example, there were some who sniffed that this wasn't true ice dancing. T/D went ahead with it anyway and---to me at least----that signaled a sea change in the sport. I'm glad that the finest teams are often willing to push the edge of the envelope.

skatfan

Just loved the FD in China. In concept this is a different level than V/M (who I love as skaters). This dance is iconic and timeless-so glad they are skating this well.

I think their work with the ballet dancer paid off - their arm movements look like no one else's. Smart move!

EYGH

Bravo Gabriella and Guillaume ! That was fabulous. Keep up the good work and improvements.
I'm actually coming to like their SD music compared with the other skater's SD music. I'm not much of a latin music aficionado at least in ice dance.

I just wanted to say something about lifts in particular about Gabi and Guillaume's lifts.
The way it was filmed and especially in slow motion one can very clearly see that Gabi is actually doing some work where lifts are concerned. Contrary to some posters opinion Guillaume is not doing all the work and despite their lifts not looking acrobatic I think they are actually athletic as well as esthetic. In one of the well filmed lifts Gabi jumps in Guillaume's arms and she rotates quite by herself. I remember Guillaume saying that Gabi was light in the lifts and IMO he wasn't talking about her weight but about the fact she is quite active and helps with the lift. She is thin but muscular and quite tall compared to others. She has the body of a ballerina and anyone knowing a little about ballet knows how fit dancers are.

Now I already said I do not appreciate acrobatics much in ice dance. I positively dislike V/M's FD crotch lift and I find there are too many useless acrobatics in many programs I otherwise like (C/B FD for example).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information