Orser explains why Briand coached Hanyu at GP Final in Torino (Hersh article); also a Ghislain Briand article (in French)

karmena

Go watch and explain why "You can see two coaches with Jin and Samarin?"

I cannot get why this is so important:confused::confused: ??

And, in general, why people have to be suspicious?? why to suspect some mysterious, hidden reasons not in this case, but in general. It is such a waste of time, and waste of one's own peace of mid.

(with a dirty eye everything seems to be dirty)

VGThuy

I hope Yuzuru was ok with Brian Orser talking about some of these things in public before Orser decided to speak to the press since he plans to talk to Yuzuru on “Wednesday”. I get he feels the need to defend himself, but some of the things he said here seems to be preparing for something. Like all the stuff about seeing Yuzuru practicing quad axels and how he wouldn’t have advised him to do that...like he could have saved that for a private conversation between student and coach.

Japanfan

So Orser doesn’t know why he wasn’t asked, while Hanyu does seem to know. Maybe there is trouble in paradise after all.

According to Orser, the Japanese Federation submitted Briand’s name for accreditation sometime after Hanyu won the NHK Trophy in Sapporo Nov. 23. (The deadline was Nov. 28.) Orser said he did not learn that until several days after NHK and did not know why that choice was made.

I guess I assume it was just a mistake, not intentional. I can't understand why it would be intentional. Yuzu has done exceptionally well under Orser.

VGThuy

I can’t help but get flashbacks of Orser going to the press regarding Mao’s team allegedly approaching him for coaching right before Yuna Kim broke up with him. It seemed he was working on damage control before the inevitable happened.

Flora

Following the order of events provided in the article, it really seems like there is trouble brewing. Orser was ready to go but they (federation and/or Hanyu) chose Briand. This is the GPF. It's likely a priority event for Orser to be at. Where there's smoke...

Tinami Amori

Maybe there is trouble in paradise after all.
The trouble is not in paradise but in some people's heads, who need something juicy to talk about after GPF and 2-3 weeks break before the next major Nationals (RU and USA).... :D

Hanyu, besides being a beautiful accomplished skater, has not done a single wrong thing; he's been gracious, polite, friendly and grateful to fans and audience. This type of "gossip", even if he does not follow social media, will reach him in some form, and add to an already challenging season.

There is absolutely NO reason to spin the rumors further. Their relationship are of NO affect on anyone except the two of them... they are not hurting or offending anyone else, what ever their issues hypothetically may be. Even if at one point the part ways, Hanyu no doubt will do it in a proper and gracious manner. The guy has CLASS and he demonstrated it for years..

Last edited:

BittyBug

Disgusted
Briand Ghislain may not have as much name recognition, but I believe he has been Hanyu's main coach since one of Hanyu's accidents (either the ankle implosion or the collision with Han Yan (?).

canbelto

Just a wild guess: Orser is very open that he's a finishing coach. He takes students who already have strong technique and gives them the extra something to help them over the hump. Maybe at this point, Hanyu feels like he needs a technical coach as he has such strong competition from Chen?

Tahuu

I cannot get why this is so important:confused::confused: ??

And, in general, why people have to be suspicious?? why to suspect some mysterious, hidden reasons not in this case, but in general. It is such a waste of time, and waste of one's own peace of mid.

(with a dirty eye everything seems to be dirty)

Here’s why:

Hanyu told JSF to submit Briand’s name as his coach at GPF without even letting his main coach Orser know. Orser couldn’t wait one day before his meeting with Hanyu to let out this “dirt.”

(There’s a term (mor*n) for someone who lacks curiosity or enquired mind, can’t see beyond one foot, solve a two-piece puzzle and connect three big dots)

tafattsbarn

I hope Yuzuru was ok with Brian Orser talking about some of these things in public before Orser decided to speak to the press since he plans to talk to Yuzuru on “Wednesday”. I get he feels the need to defend himself, but some of the things he said here seems to be preparing for something. Like all the stuff about seeing Yuzuru practicing quad axels and how he wouldn’t have advised him to do that...like he could have saved that for a private conversation between student and coach.

Yuzuru himself already brought it up in Japanese interviews that he wouldn't have trained the 4A had his coaches been there. So it's hardly a secret.

skateboy

Here’s why:

Hanyu told JSF to submit Briand’s name as his coach at GPF without even letting his main coach Orser know. Orser couldn’t wait one day before his meeting with Hanyu to let out this “dirt.”

(There’s a term (mor*n) for someone who lacks curiosity or enquired mind, can’t see beyond one foot, solve a two-piece puzzle and connect three big dots)
Or maybe Orser spoke out in defense of crazed Fanyus who are quick to blame anything and anyone (in this case, Orser himself) for Hanyu's inability to beat Chen at the GPF.

meer

Well, sounds like Brian wanted to be there, but Hanyu didn't want him to be there. Though Hanyu seems to say Brian was too busy to be there (which makes NO sense, you aren't too busy for Hanyu). Ghislain also said Hanyu wants him to go everywhere with him https://twitter.com/karelyss02/status/1204267484636962819 But Hanyu working with Ghislain isn't new anyway. Both coaches are just normally there.

Though fans who are blaming literally everyone but the guy who made major mistakes failing to win the GPF is kind of wild to me. It's Nathan's fault, it's Brian's fault, it's Ghislain's fault, it's the ISU's fault.. Sad Brian had to defend himself against the crazies.

Last edited:

CaliSteve

"One skater one accredited coach" may just be an excuse. You can see two coaches with Jin and Samarin. There were other cases of multiple coaches by the board or at K/C in pairs and dance as well, excluding multiple skaters from the same coaching groups. All together I saw 5-6 different coaches by the board and at the K/C between the two Chinese pairs. The rule may just mean the ISU only pays one coach's per diem. But why then JFS or Hanyu didn't want to pay Orser's?

The rule is one coach per skater. Also, in the K/C you can have a federation official in addition to the coaches.

CaliSteve

Of course he is going to try. He will push himself to the max. He will give it his best effort.
Anything can happen, but the reality is Chen has fresh legs. Both are strong competitors. I think age gives advantage to Chen ( I am not his fan, but that is just the reality).

That is why peaking at the right time is so important, as well as developing a competition strategy/plan. You got to have a coach to oversee the plan and prevent their skater from doing unnecessary jump attempts in practice and in competition.

Also, people always talk about thin pre-pubescent bodies having the advantage, etc. But no one ever talks about the loss of stamina as you get older.

Tinami Amori

Ghislain also said Hanyu wants him to go everywhere with him
:D https://twitter.com/i/status/1203951777776844800

That is why peaking at the right time is so important, as well as developing a competition strategy/plan. You got to have a coach to oversee the plan and prevent their skater from doing unnecessary jump attempts in practice and in competition.
That did not work with Nathan/Rafael in SP at Olys 2018, or with Trusova/Eteri evvvvvvvvver..... :D

Also, people always talk about thin pre-pubescent bodies having the advantage, etc. But no one ever talks about the loss of stamina as you get older.

Oh, don't worry, they will..... when Eteri's girls get older.. :lol:

Last edited:

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
I don't think Brian gives this interview if there are no problems. Will be interesting to see what happens the next few months.

"Brian's too busy" sounds like a complaint.

feraina

I don't think Brian gives this interview if there are no problems. Will be interesting to see what happens the next few months.

"Brian's too busy" sounds like a complaint.

I feel like Brian has been completely preoccupied with Medvedeva since she arrived. He just seems so personally invested somehow. Isn’t that why he almost didn’t take on Jason Brown? And maybe partly why Tursy and that very talented Canadian young man (Gogolev?) left? I guess coaches have to be inspired too, and right now he seems most inspired by Med for some reason. I mean, I love Med, so I’m glad for the attention she’s getting. She also desperately needs it to compete with her countrywomen.
But I’m a little bummed that Jason isn’t getting more attention, because he really needs that quad. But he’s not the only one who has to compete for Brian’s attention. At least he knew before he joined.

Kecasyl

I feel like Brian has been completely preoccupied with Medvedeva since she arrived. He just seems so personally invested somehow. Isn’t that why he almost didn’t take on Jason Brown? And maybe partly why Tursy and that very talented Canadian young man (Gogolev?) left? I guess coaches have to be inspired too, and right now he seems most inspired by Med for some reason. I mean, I love Med, so I’m glad for the attention she’s getting. She also desperately needs it to compete with her countrywomen.
But I’m a little bummed that Jason isn’t getting more attention, because he really needs that quad. But he’s not the only one who has to compete for Brian’s attention. At least he knew before he joined.

Gogolev was coached by Lee Barkell and when he moved to coach at the Granite Club, Stephen went along. He's now coached by Raf though.

skatfan

Don’t forget that Brian and Tracy now spend a few weeks each year with the Chinese skaters now as well.

Tursy was not progressing and she’s been trying to get back to Eteri for a couple of years, and as mentioned above Gogolev wasn’t a primary student of Brian’s.

It’s possible that Yuzuru’s only reason for staying in is to land the full complement of quads including the axel. He’s not paying attention to his PCS -Brian warned him months ago that Chen had caught up to him there, but in the GPFinal Yuzuru had regressed in posture and performing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information