Olympic Channel HD repeats of 2019 G-P Events

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
The link is here: https://www.teamusa.org/Olympic-Channel-Broadcast-Schedule
As last year, the OC schedule shows skating mixed with every other sport under the sun. Magnifying glasses recommended to read this! They truly don't want us watching on traditional TV, do they?
Thanks to Herr Muller's eagle eye, as he is tasked with “recording”. :)

Nutshell edition (all of these beginning at 8pm Eastern. Each discipline runs for a different length of time. )

SKATE AMERICA:
Oct 21 (tonight) - Pairs as above...they all start at 8pm
Oct 22 - Men
Oct 23 - Dance
Oct 24 - Ladies

SKATE CANADA:
Oct 28 - Dance
Oct 29 - Ladies
Oct 30 - Pairs
Oct 31 - Men

GP FRANCE:
Nov 4 - Men
Nov 5 - Dance
Nov 6 - Ladies
Nov 7 - Pairs

The other three GPs + the Finals will be added later.

So far, only the Skate America programs on OC appear on Heather W's TV schedule, which notes only the NBC or NBCSN showings of the G-Ps Canada and France:
http://heatherw.com/mk/sch.htm

Last edited:

Frau Muller

Herr M reports that last night’s SkAm Pairs event went splendidly - all programs shown for both segments. Not so sure that this can be done for all four disciplines, although Dance & Singles are allotted more time on their nights.

Tanith played the “Terry Ganon” role, while Tara & Johnny provided details. Herr M said that they were “tolerable”!

Frau Muller

The schedule has been updated to include Cup of China, with first airings the week of 11/11-14, following the typical formula of one discipline per night, all SPs/RDs followed by all or most LPs. Repeating the link: https://www.teamusa.org/Olympic-Channel-Broadcast-Schedule

Cup of China from Chongqing (all times Eastern USA)
Monday, 11/11 - Dance - 8-11pm
Tues., 11/12 - Ladies - 8 - 11pm
Wed., 11/13 - Men - 8-11pm
Thurs, 11/14 - Pairs - 8-10:30pm

The above-linked list also shows multiple re-airings of various GP events, usually the finals per discipline. In most cases, the SPs air only on the premiere dates...only chance to tape/DVR, if you're going that route!

I'm sure that Rostelecom Cup, NHK Trophy and the G-P Final in Torino will follow the same pattern but it's always good to check this link or the online TV schedule.

Skate Canada has been going on all this week; Pairs are at 8PM tonight; Men's tomorrow (again, 8PM). Enjoy!!!

Frau Muller

The predecessor channel, Universal Sports, was on our Basic Comcast cable for a long time. It’s now on “Basic Premium”...one level above the cheapest option. I guess it’s different in different markets.

Frau Muller

This week, for Rostelecom, the commentators for the singles SPs (& Dance & Pairs?) are Charlie White and Andrea Joyce. Last week, for all of the OC shows from Cup of China, it was Tanith with Ben Agosto - excellent great team of commentators! Earlier (France & Canada), it was Tanith w/ Ashley Wagner and her sing-song voice. Ashley’s vocal delivery was getting worse by the gig...glad that she was replaced, although her knowledge and insights were good.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Ashley Wagner (who was in Spain for the past 2 weeks rehearsing/performing in Javier Fernandez's ROI tour) mentioned in her Instagram stories that she taped NHK Trophy live commentary for the Olympic Channel from midnight to 7 a.m. in the Stamford, CT studio yesterday and will be doing the same overnight.

mollymgr

I find Ashley's voice distracting as well. Sometimes, it verges on an SNL skit rather than commentary. IMO, she's slightly better than Tara.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I find Ashley's voice distracting as well. Sometimes, it verges on an SNL skit rather than commentary. IMO, she's slightly better than Tara.
The content is 100x better than Tara, and she talks less. I’m going to give her a pass on her vocal quirks and hope she’s getting help/advice from Tanith.

Frau Muller

The content is 100x better than Tara, and she talks less. I’m going to give her a pass on her vocal quirks and hope she’s getting help/advice from Tanith.

Ashley’s voice is far worse than a “quirk.” The woman goes through two octaves in one sentence...usually from high to low note. A vocal slide.

Frau Muller

Yes, pairs are Monday night 8-10 EST and dance is Wed night same time. Tanith and Charlie will be on the call.

I watched & recorded both shows. Shout-out to Tanith and Charlie for their superb commentating on both shows - the perfect blend of serious insight and fun (joie de vivre)...happy tone when appropriate without the infantile inflections of “the kids.”

BaileyCatts

It looks like next week and in to April they are showing their 'Olympic Classics' of 2002 and 2006 Olympics skating again. Also lots of "Return to Vancouver" and "Return to Sochi", and I'm guessing "Return to PyeongChang" as well, episodes are popping up. My viewer guide only goes out to first week of April so worth checking Olympic Channel every night just to see what's on.

Its too bad they likely do not have the rights to the ABC/ESPN era of skating, or any of 1994 or 1998 Olympics since that was CBS. I've love to see some old 90's stuff but that was all pre-NBC contract.

Last edited:

Frau Muller

The link is here: https://www.teamusa.org/Olympic-Channel-Broadcast-Schedule
As last year, the OC schedule shows skating mixed with every other sport under the sun. Magnifying glasses recommended to read this! They truly don't want us watching on traditional TV, do they?
Thanks to Herr Muller's eagle eye, as he is tasked with “recording”. :)

Nutshell edition (all of these beginning at 8pm Eastern. Each discipline runs for a different length of time. )

SKATE AMERICA:
Oct 21 (tonight) - Pairs as above...they all start at 8pm
Oct 22 - Men
Oct 23 - Dance
Oct 24 - Ladies

SKATE CANADA:
Oct 28 - Dance
Oct 29 - Ladies
Oct 30 - Pairs
Oct 31 - Men

GP FRANCE:
Nov 4 - Men
Nov 5 - Dance
Nov 6 - Ladies
Nov 7 - Pairs

The other three GPs + the Finals will be added later.

So far, only the Skate America programs on OC appear on Heather W's TV schedule, which notes only the NBC or NBCSN showings of the G-Ps Canada and France:
http://heatherw.com/mk/sch.htm

Olympic Channel’s link to its “Team USA Broadcast Schedule” has been deactivated. OC used to air all G-P disciplines one week after the events, on four consecutive nights (Mon - Thurs), giving “regular TV” viewers a chance to see much more than was aired on NBC. So far, that doesn’t seem to be happening this year, since we now have the Peacock option on SmartTVs (without having to connect cables from computers or shine SmartPhones up to the TV set).

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Olympic Channel’s link to its “Team USA Broadcast Schedule” has been deactivated. OC used to air all G-P disciplines one week after the events, on four consecutive nights (Mon - Thurs), giving “regular TV” viewers a chance to see much more than was aired on NBC. So far, that doesn’t seem to be happening this year, since we now have the Peacock option on SmartTVs (without having to connect cables from computers or shine SmartPhones up to the TV set).

Today’s press release says the Olympic Channel will have coverage:

In total for the 2020-21 season, NBC Sports will present nearly 100 hours of figure skating coverage on TV, with 30+ hours on NBC, and 50+ hours on NBCSN. In addition, Olympic Channel: Home of Team USA will present original programming plus encores of NBC and NBCSN figure skating coverage of several events.

Sylvia

TBD
@muffinbiscuit I've replied to you in the Peacock Premium thread (feel free to ask questions there): https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...um-starting-in-fall-2020.107653/#post-5876900

ETA that you can also read advice in this thread, starting here: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...ing-pros-cons-etc.104402/page-16#post-5872946
Most Xfinity customers should already have access to Peacock Premium. Otherwise it's $4.99 a month.

New thread started for U.S. TV skating season 2020-21 (NBC, NBCSN, Olympic CHannel): https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...for-2020-21-nbc-nbcsn-olympic-channel.107668/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information