Oksana Baiul

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I remember Jill Trenary’s pro performance to TFB, and most probably it is on one of my VHS tapes, but why were you disappointed?

Maybe surprised is a better word than disappointed. I had thought it was a fresh new idea by a 16-year old Baiul (at the time and for many years after) and it blew my mind. But the concept, at least for the first half of Trenary's program, is the same route Oksana went and greatly expanded upon.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Maybe surprised is a better word than disappointed. I had thought it was a fresh new idea by a 16-year old Baiul (at the time and for many years after) and it blew my mind. But the concept, at least for the first half of Trenary's program, is the same route Oksana went and greatly expanded upon.

The commentator (I think Scott H.) said it was her coach’s (Galina) idea to use that costume. Oksana thought the costume was disgusting, at first.

Last edited:

sadya

I think we need to take a step back here. What she looks like, what sort of decor she likes, and what political views she has is her business. The best way to promote democratic values, including respect and tolerance, is practicing what you preach. ;)

True. I've never made a problem of how skaters I love or don't love live, no matter how much I like or dislike what they do. Trump however is something entirely different. You can like him or not, but he is enforcing undemocratic rules, doesn't respect nor tolerate other people unless they are what he wants them to be.

If I would meet Baiul, after fainting and waking up and making sure I'm not dreaming and then stammering how much I love her early skating, and then she would not like me for being Muslim and because one of my children is part of lgbtplus community, that would still be fine, it wouldn't make me happy, but okay if that would be her own opinions, what can one do but live and let live? However, the person she supports does not leave other people alone, Trump doesn't say 'how lgbtq people live is their own business, I don't like them, but I'll leave them alone'. No, instead he makes laws against them so they can't live their lives as they wish. He takes the rights away of people to live according to their own business. And that is why I am disappointed that so many people support him doing this.

Thinking about our skating community, Rudy Galindo is gay and of Mexican descent, not a favourite of Trump and that is okay, if it would be just that. The problem is, if Trump was in charge decades ago, he wouldn't let the family of Galindo have a nice life in the US and we wouldn't enjoy the amazing skating of Galindo who is now passing his knowledge on to new generations. And that is just one example. Pick holes in it, but I hope to create understanding why supporting someone who take the rights away of innocent people to live as they wish, is terrible.

Sorry to go off topic. Back to topic. I've been trying to find a program by Baiul and Boitano for years. We used to have Super Channel in the Netherlands. Sometimes they ared pro skating. Once they aired the Nutcracker with both Baiul and Boitano. The version released on vhs was the one she skated with Vladimir Petrenko (I think). I would love to see the version with Boitano again. Does anyone remember that?

bardtoob

The problem is, if Trump was in charge decades ago, he wouldn't let the family of Galindo have a nice life in the US and we wouldn't enjoy the amazing skating of Galindo who is now passing his knowledge on to new generations. And that is just one example.

??? Galindo grew up in a mobile home park on the east side of HWY 101 off Capital Expressway in San Jose, California. That was not a nice life in the US, which was probably due to huge inequity down ethnic and racial lines.

??? Galindo was Junior Singles and Junior Pairs World Champion (against Soviets) as well as Singles Senior National Champion and Pairs Senior National Champion, but the only support he ever got for his skating was from the Yamaguchi's as Kristi's partner.

Let's not rewrite history. Galindo WAS just as disadvantaged when he was growing up as he would be under Trump.

Let's be clear, there are only two Hispanic figure skating senior singles national medalists, Catherine Machado of California, Olympian and two time national bronze medalist behind Tenley Albright of Massachusetts and Carol Heiss of New York, and Rudy Galindo, who shared the singles podium with Todd Eldridge of Massachusetts and Dan Hollander of Michigan.

Machado and Galindo were inducted into the US Figure Skating Hall of Fame, and they must have been extraordinarily talented because they did not have Maribel Vinson Owen, Pierre Brunet, Richard Callaghan, or any other Olympic Medal making coach but still were competitive in COMPULSORY FIGURES ERA of figure skating.

... Geez Catherine was 3rd in the Freeskating at the 1956 Olympics but who has ever heard of her!

Last edited:

sadya

Yes, I've seen that in a documentary. He had a difficult life. But he would be worse off if Trump or someone like Trump ruled back then imo. (he'd probably say something like 'okay, you're all Mexicans, living in a trailer and I don't think you contribute to society, so leave the country) Trump is doing his very best to take away the rights which people have fought for for decades. It's a big step backward. And under Trump, I doubt the struggles of Galindo would even have resulted in the nice life he does seem to have today. As far as I know, his sister isn't begging on the streets either. Trump wouldn't even want him and his family in the country. Did I miss something? You say don't rewrite history, when I say Galindo and his family have a nice life in the US. Aren't he and his family in the US (his sister who still is married I think) doing fine today?

Trump doesn't like gay marriages, and would like to forbid them forever if he could. Another rule he wants people to be forced to live by. If one day Galindo would want to marry his love, Trump wouldn't allow that either, to stay with his example.

Why make laws to force innocent people to live a life they don't want?

Last edited:

bardtoob

Why make laws to force innocent people to live a life they don't want?

1) This is not new, but typical of human society for thousands of years.

2) Great sociology question! All I can say is that the "in group" does this to the "out group" consistently.

snoopysnake

I give Oksana credit for pulling herself back up from some bad life choices, not the least of which was leaving Galina and Viktor because her skating was never as sublime after she left them. Her brilliance as an artistic skater was short-lived and what she might have skated had she stayed more dedicated to her career (versus partying and addictions to alcohol and cigarettes) after winning the OGM is lost to the ages. She also seems to have grown out of a period where she was very rude to fans and disrespectful to her fellow skaters. Deduction from me now applies due to her supporting Trumpty Dumpty, but that doesn't take away from her greatest performances on the ice, which to me do NOT include her Olympic short and long programs. Nancy Kerrigan was better in both.

DreamSkates

I give Oksana credit for pulling herself back up from some bad life choices, not the least of which was leaving Galina and Viktor because her skating was never as sublime after she left them. Her brilliance as an artistic skater was short-lived and what she might have skated had she stayed more dedicated to her career (versus partying and addictions to alcohol and cigarettes) after winning the OGM is lost to the ages. She also seems to have grown out of a period where she was very rude to fans and disrespectful to her fellow skaters. Deduction from me now applies due to her supporting Trumpty Dumpty, but that doesn't take away from her greatest performances on the ice, which to me do NOT include her Olympic short and long programs. Nancy Kerrigan was better in both.
All other things aside, when she was touring as a teen, with adults, there was alcohol abundant and that became a significant downside in her life, along with a knee problem (after surgery she didn't follow the doctor's advice).
I don't care who a skater votes for/not, I only care about what the art and athleticism they bring to the ice.

Perky Shae Lynn

If I would meet Baiul, after fainting and waking up and making sure I'm not dreaming and then stammering how much I love her early skating, and then she would not like me for being Muslim and because one of my children is part of lgbtplus community, that would still be fine, it wouldn't make me happy, but okay if that would be her own opinions, what can one do but live and let live?
I am sorry you've had such negative experience in your life (we all have...). But the only way to rise above them is not to do the same to others. Don't assume Bauil would hate you or your child (!); it's a terrible way to look at life. If you are to go that route, you are sinking to the same level of bigotry as the person you despise.

bardtoob

Was she really an orphan? I’m remembering controversial surrounding this. ?

To not call her an orphan is pointless mincing of words.

Her father abandoned her and her mother, then her mother died ... So she lived like an orphan supported by the state because of her skating but was abandoned.

There is some claim that she chose to not be with her father or wanted nothing to do with him, but he was the adult and she was the minor. He could have acted like an adult and taken responsibility, especially since she did not like him because he left her.

Last edited:

Finsta

To not call her an orphan is pointless mincing of words.

Her father abandoned her and her mother, then her mother died ... So she lived like an orphan but was abandoned. There is some claim that she chose to not be with her father or wanted nothing to do with him, but he was the adult and she was the minor. He could have acted like an adult and taken responsibility, especially since she did not like him because he left her.

Thank you. I could remember not details. Just some controversial. Your post clarifies. Poor girl

Japanfan

Deduction from me now applies due to her supporting Trumpty Dumpty, but that doesn't take away from her greatest performances on the ice, which to me do NOT include her Olympic short and long programs. Nancy Kerrigan was better in both.

True. I've never made a problem of how skaters I love or don't love live, no matter how much I like or dislike what they do. Trump however is something entirely different. You can like him or not, but he is enforcing undemocratic rules, doesn't respect nor tolerate other people unless they are what he wants them to be.

If I would meet Baiul, after fainting and waking up and making sure I'm not dreaming and then stammering how much I love her early skating, and then she would not like me for being Muslim and because one of my children is part of lgbtplus community, that would still be fine, it wouldn't make me happy, but okay if that would be her own opinions, what can one do but live and let live? However, the person she supports does not leave other people alone, Trump doesn't say 'how lgbtq people live is their own business, I don't like them, but I'll leave them alone'. No, instead he makes laws against them so they can't live their lives as they wish. He takes the rights away of people to live according to their own business. And that is why I am disappointed that so many people support him doing this.

You can challenge people's views, even though it might be a total waste of time.

Trump is a misogynist and a racist. I feel a responsibility to speak up for those against whom he discriminates, which includes me.

Sadly one of my Russian friends was happily predicting his victory before the 2016 elections, and I had to change the topic. I suspect that for them attitude toward women or lying are not deal breakers. We have seen educated Americans with that attitude too.

Which is deeply troubling.

Last edited:

sadya

I am sorry you've had such negative experience in your life (we all have...). But the only way to rise above them is not to do the same to others. Don't assume Bauil would hate you or your child (!); it's a terrible way to look at life. If you are to go that route, you are sinking to the same level of bigotry as the person you despise.

I think the chance that a Trump supporter wouldn't like Muslims or lgbtq people is bigger, as Trump is openly against these people and really tries to makes laws to make their life more difficult.

sadya

You can challenge people's views, even though it might be a total waste of time.

Trump is a misogynist and a racist. I feel a responsibility to speak up for those against whom he discriminates, which includes me.

Which is deeply troubling.[/QUOTE]

You are absolutely right. It's people like you who speak up, who give me hope.

In the case of Baiul supporting Trump, I just wonder if after doing so many shows with people from different cultures and different believes and different sexual orientation she still felt it's fine to support Trump, what else could help? I'll just continue to enjoy the first skating years of Baiul, early Baiul was my favourite anyway.

WildRose

Which is deeply troubling.

You are absolutely right. It's people like you who speak up, who give me hope.

In the case of Baiul supporting Trump, I just wonder if after doing so many shows with people from different cultures and different believes and different sexual orientation she still felt it's fine to support Trump, what else could help? I'll just continue to enjoy the first skating years of Baiul, early Baiul was my favourite anyway.[/QUOTE]

Oksana is actually Ukrainian. Russia is invading her country and killing her people. I know that she left at a young age, but she seemed very proud of her heritage at one time. Sad that she’d be a Trump supporter given his support for Putin and all things Russian. My guess would be that she isn’t very knowledgeable about politics or world affairs and is easily influenced.

soogar

I really don't see a problem with Oksana supporting Trump. Nicole Bobek also supports him. She posted several supportive posts and photos with her and Donald Trump during her skating days. I would think that both Nicole and Oksana have a lot of gay friends. I'm not going to say any more because I hate when people hijack threads with political content that really should be in a sub-forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information