OES News 2019/20 Season

text_skate

crossposting my post from KnC:

Julia Sauter is still recovering from injury (sprained ankle), source:

Romania should have been represented by Julia Sauter, who was ranked 14th last year, but the German-born skater is not yet recovered after an ankle sprain.

text_skate

About Mitkutina "Reaching the Final as Mikutina's goal"

At only 16 years of age, Olga Mikutina is the same age as three Russian women in the women's competition of the European Figure Skating Championships in Graz-Premstätten. Unlike this trio, the Ukrainian-born figure skater is not among the favourites in the Styria Hall, but she has potential. At her first European Championships, she will show what she is capable of in the short program on Friday and hopefully also on Saturday in the free skate of the best 24.

Mikutina, who will make her debut at EC, comes from Kharkiv. In 2016 Elena Romanova, once coach of Olympic participant Viktor Pfeifer and others, had heard of the talented girl and invited her to the "Ländle". Mikutina came to Vorarlberg with her mother - and this sports partnership still continues today. Like Maurizio Zandron in the men's singles, Mikutina is working towards the 2022 Olympics, but unlike him she has Austrian citizenship practically in her pocket.

"It was sporting reasons that brought me to Vorarlberg," Mikutina, who ranked 18th at the 2019 Junior World Championships, told the APA (Austrian news agency). She has not regretted it so far. Her father, who remains in Ukraine, comes as often as possible - sometimes twice a month. She herself does not attend a sports school, but currently attends the fifth class of a Realgymnasium. There she is given free time for competitions, but has to make up for what she missed - in the current European Championship case a mathematics test.

Mikutina did not even take a few days off over Christmas, unlike the pair sakters Miriam Ziegler and Severin Kiefer. She wants to get the most out of her opportunities. "I did run-threws every day," said the teenager. The one for the FS to the music of "Step up Tango" is the one from last season. In the summer before the pre-Olympic season, something new will be rehearsed. "Sing Sing Sing", on the other hand, is the musical basis of her short program, choreographed last summer. "I like both programs," Mikutina said about her two programs. The first goal for her EC debut is of course to reach the final.

alexikeguchi

A shout-out to Alexia Paganini for laying down an excellent SP today, skating last in the final group which included the three Russians. Personally, I thought her lutz GOE should have been the highest of the lot as her technique is pristine with clear edge, great spring, and near zero pre-rotation. Her performance quality was engaging as well, so I really don't see where the six points between her and Trusova come from. I know she doesn't bring the firepower in the FS, but she should be rewarded appropriately for her short. She looked really happy with her SB score, though, and I hope she can build on that for tomorrow.

text_skate

Short newsclip with Mikutina, not geoblocked:

around 17:20 short statement (in really good German), all smiles:
  • Their is always room for improvment, I wasn't perfect today.
  • Thanking the audience for excellent support.
  • I'm being so thankful / so happy, I had the opportunity to skate.
  • More smiles and thank you

I enjoyed her a lot. Keep the good coming :cheer2: :cheer2:

text_skate

What a skate for Mikutina! I feel sorry for her. 20 pts below her SB and 4 falls must've been hard. What I loved: She tried really hard, not to let go.

post comp report in Standard
excerpt:
"I'm glad I got to skate the FS," Mikutina said. "Every competition is an experience. I learn from every skate."
Because of the missed place among the top 20, Mikutina will not get a guaranteed spot from the Austrian federation for the World Championships in Montreal in March

I'd say, there haven't been a chance for top 20 in any szenario, even before the catastrophic FS

text_skate

Paganini's FS was one of the highlights for me. Glad she kept it together.

excerpts:
"I've worked so hard all year and I really wanted to show that," said Paganini. "The FS wasn't perfect, but I'm happy with it." She was especially happy that she was able to pull herself together after the mistake. "This is a big step forward for me." Coach Igor Krokavec believes she can make the top ten in two years at the Beijing Olympics.

When the 18-year-old Paganini heard her score, she was very moved. According to her own statement, she had never been so well prepared for a competition and confirmed this impressively.

Despite her strong performances, Paganini, whose role model is the former American top skater Michelle Kwan, still has potential for improvement, as she botched the second jumping element, a triple Lutz. However, this did not put her off her stride and she showed no weakness in the following.

hanca

Values her privacy
it may not be popular to write it here, but does anyone else finds it amusing that she advocates for raising the age eligibility because she ‘prefers mature skating’, and yet her own skating is very small and juniorish? She is a lovely girl and skates small, but she needs to learn to skate ‘bigger’. Her skating reminds me of Tursynbaeva before she moved to Tutberidze.

RoseRed

it may not be popular to write it here, but does anyone else finds it amusing that she advocates for raising the age eligibility because she ‘prefers mature skating’, and yet her own skating is very small and juniorish? She is a lovely girl and skates small, but she needs to learn to skate ‘bigger’. Her skating reminds me of Tursynbaeva before she moved to Tutberidze.
Haven't read the article, so I don't have an opinion on what she said, but I find her skating very different than Elizabet (with Brian or Eteri) - for me, way more charismatic.

ChiquitaBanana

She answered a very close-ended question with wit IMO. She was talking from the beginning about being remembered as Kostner, of how careers are short for girls in Russia. Of course she wants girls to skate longer by having less pressure on them earlier on. It is not because you prefer something that means you are still there yet. Give her some time.

barbarafan

Haven't read the article, so I don't have an opinion on what she said, but I find her skating very different than Elizabet (with Brian or Eteri) - for me, way more charismatic.
I love her skating and her personality. I am glued to the screen for every step. She just sparkles.

Immortelle

Rejected by Krasnopolski
That didn’t sound like Zoe at all, must have been translated into Russian and back again!

Orm Irian

I saw this somewhere in passing on Twitter but can't retrace my steps to find a link: apparently Anastasia Vaipan-Law and Luke Digby, both GBR, are having a tryout as pairs skaters.

J

Jeschke

Lisa Zhuk got finally released on April 1st and is representing CZE now with Martin Bidař.

Main parts:
  • Zhuk got released April 1st (they hoped to compete last season already)
  • 2nd partner for Bidař since Olympics
  • Split with Abrazevich due to different 'skills'
  • steady progress in their elements
  • based in Moscow but Bidař flew back to CZE March 21st due to the Corona-crisis
  • online coaching by Mozer group right now
  • wanting a new SP, but have to wait due to C-19

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Ekaterina Kurakova is back to Russia - she lives with her family somewhere not far from Moscow. The was training the 3A and the quads before the hell broke lose. She is keeping in shape and is working 3 times a week with TCC online. She is attempting the 3A and 4T on the floor, she explains she was never able to do a 3f/3loop/3lz on the floor and Goncharenko at the time told her it's allright, as long as she can do them on the ice and just jump higher on the doubles on the floor. Kurakova is landing all her jumps including a 3/3 on the floor and is walking home in her skates to make sure they don't go back. She is glad she had a chance to participate the JW and it was a right ending of the season. Her mom flew with her to Canada from Estonia and stayed with her till they left, she wasn't doing much once the `rona began, mainly kept in shape home and sometimes met with Medvedeva who she is friends with. The RusEmbassy told them it might be a good idea to go home because it was unclear how long things will last - they could get stuck for 1-1.5 years in Canada, so they decided to be together as a family

reut

Fan site with info about Ukrainian FS/skaters:

Skating.com.ua is an independent website dedicated to Ukrainian figure skating. Its main goals are publishing information about figure skating competitions and skaters, popularization of figure skating in Ukraine, providing a platform for communication and bringing Ukrainian figure skating community together.

oubik

Filip Scerba, CZE junior men and sole men entry at 2020 Junior Worlds retired, partly due to health but mostly due to education reasons. He is starting his last season in Secondary School with final examines and he chosed Medicine studies in Charles' University in Prague from 21/22 season and he did not want to focus on Figure Skating less and less being a perfectionist himself.

hanca

Values her privacy
Apparently, yesterday he wanted to end his career, but he changed his mind after getting lots of positive messages from his fans.

J

Jeschke

Good he changed his mind.
3 questions:
1) Which discipline? Will he stick with pairs? Singles again? Dance? :D
2) Will 🇺🇦 release him? Looks like there was lots of bad blood!
3) what about his former partner? Is she banned too?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information