NYC Ballet Fans, part 2

twizzletoes76

Re-posting this photo from the Tarasova interview thread in GSD: https://twitter.com/Hashioki1978/status/877176701880475649

Diana Vishneva's final performance with ABT is in "Onegin" on Friday, June 23:
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/06/19/farewell-to-diana-vishneva

I wish I had thought to go last night, I love Vishneva! She is everything in ballet right now. I was thinking of going today for final performance but didn't realize till seeing your post that yesterday was Vishneva's last performance. Oh no!

People on FSU are always such a wealth of info. And, that picture of Vishneva with TAT is fantastic--who knew she was in town and that the two worlds (ballet and ice) crossed over so much?

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
As promised here is my review from Onegin, firstly what an absolute treasure Hee Seo was as Tatiana! She really commanded the stage an her technique was perfect. Also very impressed with Skylar Brandt as Olga an Jeffrey Cirio as Lensky. I wasn't as impressed with David Hallberg but I know this sounds silly but I was put off by him blending into the stage so much as his all black didn't standout in the black stage floor.
The Orchestra led by Ormsby Wilkins was first rate an I enjoyed watching the musicians. We had seats the front row of the first balcony so our view was excellent. Our first time at the Lincoln Centre as well, was a great facility. Will make sure to see another ballet when we return @emason sorry we missed you I should have connected as it would have been great to see you. Today is Pride parade in NYC so excited to go an watch that!! We have had a great weekend in NYC

emason

@4rkidz, it sounds like you had a great time. Next time you visit we must connect up.

Skylar Brandt is a new fave for me this season. I saw 4 Giselles and Skylar Brandt did the peasant pas des deux with Joseph Gorak at one of the 4 performances. Cassandra Trenary was in the other three, twice with Craig Salstein if I remember correctly and once with Gabe Stone Shayer. I felt Trenary struggled all three times; her "technique was showing" as we used to say. Brandt was so fluid and looked so much more at ease. Brandt-Gorak were definitely the peasant pas winners for me.

twizzletoes76

Great review above @4rkidz!

Maybe also worth mentioning--I was strolling around Manhattan by Lincoln Center on Friday night (when I should have gone to see Onegin) and ran into Aleksei Ratmansky in little park across from theatre. I just happen to be obsessed with Ratmansky at the moment and have had this fantastical idea in my head for some time now that maybe he should do some choreography for ice dance. (In back of my mind, I could see him collaborating with one major dance coach in particular.) I was tempted to mention this but then feared he might take offense to the idea (as not everyone takes skating as seriously as those of us on this board)--plus he seemed immersed in checking his cell phone--so I just asked him if was Aleksei (to be sure) and told him I liked his choreography and then moved on.

But now that I see Tarasova was chilling with Vishneva, perhaps I should have mentioned it?

Marge_Simpson

I don't doubt KM is behind Veronika's "retirement" as he really has his head up his ass most of the time, but who knows? I've heard rumors that Veronika had something going on with Roger O'Donnell, who I believe still lives in the UK.
If she's leaving ABT to join him, maybe she'll end up at the RB.

Yehudi

AITA
I don't doubt KM is behind Veronika's "retirement" as he really has his head up his ass most of the time, but who knows? I've heard rumors that Veronika had something going on with Roger O'Donnell, who I believe still lives in the UK.

Sadly, it seems she is being forced out. She wrote a comment on Facebook that she wants to stay but is "tired of fighting". She's already up there in years so I'm not sure she'll get a full time contract at a big company but I can see her guesting quite a bit.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Zenaida Yanovsky just retired from the Royal Ballet, and she's tall, so, maybe...

Not NYC, but if any Washingtonians or traveling FSUers get to see the Mariinsky at the Kennedy Center this October (17-22, tickets on sale to the general public tomorrow), the advance casting is here:
http://www.kennedy-center.org/calendar/event/BSBSGhttp://www.kennedy-center.org/calendar/event/BSBSG

It's lists my <3 Tereshkina as Nikiya with Kimin Kim and Anastasia Matvienko as Gamzatti for three of the performances, with Ekaterina Kondaurova and Oxsana Skorik each getting two Nikiyas.

emason

Landmark Sunshine here in NY showed the retirement broadcast last night. Sigh! 3 Ashton pieces on one program, including The Dream. Mind kind of ballet evening. Ashton just does not get the respect he deserves in the US.

Now that I've conquered getting to Philly fro the opera and ballet, maybe I'll see about venturing to DC for a ballet outing. Thanks for the reminder that tickets go on sale today.

Rob

Beach Bum
@kwanfan1818, once again your work is done and I am nominating you for FSU enabler of the year. I guess I am having a little mini-vacation to DC in October, because somehow tickets for 2 of the 3 casts of Bayadere will be residing in my ticket box shortly.
When are you coming? I have tickets for Thursday night. Kondaurova.

Rob

Beach Bum
I am out of town the weekend of the 14th, but in town M-Thurs. I could meet each of you if you don't overlap. Anyone else coming to DC?

Marge_Simpson

No overlap, unfortunately, but I'd love to see you if it's possible. Just let me know which day's good for you.

emason

Yes, no overlap, but Rob, you and I should definitely connect as we both have tickets for Thursday. I'm looking forward to this little jaunt as this will be my first time at the Kennedy Center.

Jubak

Kevin has nothing to do with her retirement. People forget that she is 39, ancient in ballet dancer years. She is slowing down. I know parts of the reason but unfortunately, I am not permitted to reveal them. It's not Kevin.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
There was a Facebook thread on which one of her uberfans* encouraged her to fight, and she posted something about having already given her blood and wasn't fighting anymore. There was also an article in Russian in which she was allegedly quoted saying that originally her schedule would be reduced next season and then "Swan Lake" was pulled from her.

*I believe this is the same person who was threatening to organize a protest to disrupt her last performance.

Most people assumed this was McKenzie's doing.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
When Pacific Northwest Ballet last did "Jewels" in 2014, Peter Boal brought in Jacques d'Amboise, Violette Verdy, Mimi Paul, and Edward Villella for coaching sessions and lecture-demos. To celebrate the 50th anniversary of "Jewels," which the company is performing later this month with new sets and costumes by Jerome Kaplan, they released a short (23") film which includes excerpts from those lec-dems, interviews with dancers, and rehearsal clips.

For fans of Carla Korbes from her NYCB days, there are some clips of her dancing, in costume with Batkhurel Bold, and in the lec demo with Joshua Grant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ1y9pSe7OM&fref=gc&dti=191943404323525

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
It's World Ballet Day, 20 hours of footage from five hosts: Australian Ballet (currently airing), Bolshoi Ballet, Royal Ballet, National Ballet of Canada, and San Francisco Ballet:
http://worldballetday.com/

Click the red "LIVE" to get to the page with the stream (scroll for it). It's also streaming through Facebook, according to the site.

The hosts are show live footage plus pre-recorded segments that will include
  • The National Ballet of Japan, (already shown by Australian Ballet
  • Singapore Dance Theatre,
  • The National Ballet of China,
  • Ballets du Monte Carlo,
  • Birmingham Royal Ballet,
  • English National Ballet,
  • Scottish Ballet,
  • Northern Ballet,
  • Houston Ballet,
  • Ballet West.

emason

Well, that’s a nice listing, but my schedule didn’t allow me to watch anything. I am, however, doing my part. Last night I had Fall for Dance at City Center, tonight I have NYCB, and tomorrow another FFD. Big hit last night was German Cornejo’s Tango Fire, and even though I haven’t watched any skating at all this season, I am still caught up with the chestnuts. Tango Fire used both La Cumparsita and Libertango.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information