"No one knows Mirai's mirai" Nagasu cheer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

worldsnice12

This is exactly what I was afraid would happen..Seems like once she landed the Axel, it affected the other jumps.
I think she has proven she is very close to land the Axel clean in competition and even though I am not fully convinced putting it in the SP is the way to go, I hope Mirai proves me wrong.
I will give her the benefit of doubt landing it so well in the SP messed up with her jumling passes but I am a bit anxious this is how it is going to be with such a high risk element. If she lands it, she might get over excited and if she fails to land it, she needs to pick herself up quickly and the pressure is there to nail the other elements.

Any COP expert, what could she potentially score if she went for a 3A, 3F2T and 3Loop?

She seems better trained than ever and she had surprisingly good LP outings so far for a typical early season Mirai..I dont think she ever scored as well at this point of the season but the SP is crucial.. She needs to get a cleanish one under her belt, that would surely do wonders for her confidence.

I really want her to be a contender after the SP but perhaps they are simply thinking too "big" with the current layout..
Lets see what Mirai that will show up for her LP :kickass:

bardtoob

I am proud of Mirai for keeping her emotions in check when coming off the ice.

ETA:

After reviewing the jumps from the Cup of Russia 2017 SP, I think Mirai did underrotate the 3A and 3Lz. However, I think the 3F-3T was fully rotated, although she did, in fact, fall on the 3T. {{shrug}} . . . There is still a long program to be done.

I like that TAT seemed to have high hopes for Mirai during the Russian Broadcast.

Last edited:

Bellanca

Absolutely! A skater’s kiss and cry demeanor is so essential, it really is. As disappointed as Mirai was, she knows this is not going to be the worst thing she will have to face in this sport. Mirai knows disappointment, and I think her coping skills are stronger than ever. It's one competition. There is time to regroup. Everything is magnified because it is an Olympic year and everybody wants to go, but she'll be fine!

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦

ETA:

After reviewing the jumps from the Cup of Russia 2017 SP, I think Mirai did underrotate the 3A and 3Lz. However, I think the 3F-3T was fully rotated, although she did, in fact, fall on the 3T. {{shrug}} . . . There is still a long program to be done.

I like that TAT seemed to have high hopes for Mirai during the Russian Broadcast.

What did TAT say about Mirai? :TT1:

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Aaannnd, this is Mirai's CHEER thread, not her competitor's fans' SNARK thread ;) ... thank you very much! :p :lol:
Yes it is a cheer thread. And we should all cheer when something goes great. Are we not to comment when something goes wrong? It is a bit difficult to cheer for two falls. We can hope for better next time. But ignoring the facts is silly. IMO

Bellanca

Yes it is a cheer thread. And we should all cheer when something goes great. Are we not to comment when something goes wrong? It is a bit difficult to cheer for two falls. We can hope for better next time. But ignoring the facts is silly. IMO
As someone who strikes me as not being too much of a Mirai fan, I have to wonder why this is getting under your skin so much. No one is cheering the fact that Mirai had two falls. Her fans are actually very down about this. You seem to be somewhat gleeful about it. It sounds to me like you may have a bone to pick, in all honesty - but who knows. Whatever it is, I am not sure Mirai's cheer thread is the place to do it. Maybe start another thread so you can discuss her SP in greater detail? Just a suggestion.

Back on topic, Go Mirai! :cheer2:

GullyGirl84

I’m proud of Mirai for fighting. It could have been a repeat of last year’s Skate Canada, she did not let some of those stiff landings get to her, and didn’t give up . Lots of improvement to be made, but I actually liked her performance here better than at Japan Open…transitions are still kind of MIA…though certain things, like her spiral, seemed to be held longer. I loved her ending facial expression! Too bad her placement wasn’t better.

Unfortunately, the tech panel is always going to look at her rotations more so than some others, but that’s nothing new. The Olympic selection does not start and end with COR (though she needs to do better at her next grand prix, especially in the sp. I wish she was getting a new sp, but it’s too late at this point).

giselle23

You can comment on the Rostelecom Cup thread.

worldsnice12

I am glad to see Mirai picked herself well up again after her SP. Although, even me (who is always having troubles to spot UR's) noticed several iffy landings compared to Japan Open so there are a lot of improvement to be done heading into NHK.

I was again pleased with the performance in the second part of the program (and both dress and makeup gorgeous) so overall, the performance is slowly improving.
I really hope her team will address the first minute and a half, I understand she needs a long setup into the 3A but there should be some kind of decent choregrapy added to the opening section..
I need to go back and compare with the Skate Detroit version that I remember I really liked!

Spun Silver

Belatedly: I liked Mirai’s fight here. She isnt backing down from the 3A and I admire that so much. Also, yesterday was quite devastating, she lost any hope either a medal or the GPF, but she came back fresh with fight today and stayed on her feet through some scratchy landings. Unfortunately she still didnt do herself any big favors with all the URs. On the bright side, I dont remember when Mirai has done a good early GP season. She is a later-season peaker. Which is great for Nats and the Olys if she can get to the Olys. She really needs a good second GP.

I would really like to see her add SOMETHING to Miss Saigon to show more about the character and story. Those few seconds at the opening are a complete blank. Surely Jeff could come up with something better for her opening!! I feel like he and she need another good session or two to work on the fine points of the program. I can see there are little touches intended to express the music, but they’re not really working IMO. He needs to help her find the key to make them work. She can accomplish so much through her athleticism and natural charm, but with a program like Miss Saigon there needs to be at least a little bit of drama too.

I can empathize because as a listener I am very sensitive and musical, but when I’ve tried to dance or play the piano, no musicality whatsoever comes across. That expressivity is a natural gift Mirai doesnt have either. So she needs to have it choreographed for her, and they tried, but it needs some serious polishing.

I am not nearly as concerned about the technical side. I think she can do the program, 3A and all, it is just a matter of doing it in competition.

GullyGirl84

Belatedly: I liked Mirai’s fight here. She isnt backing down from the 3A and I admire that so much. Also, yesterday was quite devastating, she lost any hope either a medal or the GPF, but she came back fresh with fight today and stayed on her feet through some scratchy landings. Unfortunately she still didnt do herself any big favors with all the URs. On the bright side, I dont remember when Mirai has done a good early GP season. She is a later-season peaker. Which is great for Nats and the Olys if she can get to the Olys. She really needs a good second GP.

I would really like to see her add SOMETHING to Miss Saigon to show more about the character and story. Those few seconds at the opening are a complete blank. Surely Jeff could come up with something better for her opening!! I feel like he and she need another good session or two to work on the fine points of the program. I can see there are little touches intended to express the music, but they’re not really working IMO. He needs to help her find the key to make them work. She can accomplish so much through her athleticism and natural charm, but with a program like Miss Saigon there needs to be at least a little bit of drama too.

I can empathize because as a listener I am very sensitive and musical, but when I’ve tried to dance or play the piano, no musicality whatsoever comes across. That expressivity is a natural gift Mirai doesnt have either. So she needs to have it choreographed for her, and they tried, but it needs some serious polishing.

I am not nearly as concerned about the technical side. I think she can do the program, 3A and all, it is just a matter of doing it in competition.

"All those underrotations"....rotating 5 triples in an LP is pretty good for Mirai at this time of the year, though she had some GOE issues and not great landings (though the sp unders were bad). We know she can do better. Re: the opening-that quick clip of Mirai's Champs Camp LP runthrough that was circulating online (with her doing the triple axel) showed her doing some pretty striking opening arm movements that looked very sharp and regal. Haven't seen any of the same movements in her competitions yet this year, but it was one of those little things that could make such a difference.

Despite everything, she's still been getting "about" the same PCS as Karen and Mariah so far in the LP, with Mirai slightly higher. It's not full of choreography or commitment, but I'm still liking this LP better than the others that Mirai's had this past quad. It's also nice to see Mirai's loop back. I'm less concerned with the free than I am with the short at this point, I think the elements should be re-thought, but in the end Tom and Mirai need to make a decision and stick with it I guess.

edit: I liked that Mirai was literally giving herself a talking to immediately following her LP, and I wish I knew what she was saying!

Last edited:

mag

I hope Mirai goes to Golden Spin. A medal there will make up for the points lost and give her some practice before Nationals.

Does the US have a spot there? It would be great if she could go. I believe preliminary entries are closed. I have no idea if they are strict about the prelim deadline or not.

arakwafan2006

This competition was a victory for her. This is all part of the journey. She’s having a similar reaction to adding a new difficult element like Yuzuru and Chen. She picked this year to add the Axel and it’s to be commended. These competitions are not important in terms of placement overall as much as working towards her goal which frankly is more ambitious than merely making the Olympic team. I think we are watching a woman who decided to believe in her talent partner with a coach that is determined to get her to her technical ability. In the free, her grit and determination showed when she pulled in for every jump. That was something she learned last season. They were not clean but she really tried. The short program comes at you fast and falling on an element jarred her and she struggled to get the rhythm back. Still, in terms of post Olympic season, guess who will probably not have any regrets or fears. That is WAY more valuable than playing it safe. What a warrior.

I still think that not getting into the program is tougher than cutting yourself off from the emotion of the music. I wish Tom’s camp helped skaters perform. Mirai has regressed artistically as well as in her skating skills. The step sequences, or anything other than stroking is looking like Max Aaron. Still, if it gets the job done by Nationals, i’ll watch that emotionally vacant program over and over again lol

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
I'm proud of Mirai! She showed GUTS to put the 3A out there in both programs (one of which imo she was unfairly given a UR in the SP). She fought hard for it in the FS and finished on a good note. Lots of work yet to be done but I think she's going to get there! I too hope she goes to Golden Spin! I think the more she competes the better.

Mirai left a love note on Her Story in IG (click on her avatar): https://www.instagram.com/mirainagasu/

"DEAD. Love you. Thanks for all the continuous support."
Love you too Mirai! Cheering for you all the way my 3A Queen! :respec::cheer2::cheer:

Get some R & R! You've earned it!

Last edited:

SidelineSkater

COR Results aside - whew it's always a roller coaster for Mirai fans. Girl has grit and fight in her. I think maybe, just maybe, she's trying too hard. Scott Hamilton said this about Ashley Wagner several times before she won in 2012...that AW squeezes too hard...she wants it too much and just doesn't relax into her performances. I still think Ash doesn't relax fully.

Positives...let's consider four years ago when Mirai didn't have a full set of lady triples (no 3S attempts for a long time prior, until after moving to Tom). She's added TWO triples to her arsenal since then. Not many ladies can say they've done that - and with generally correct edges on her lutz/flip.

Miss Saigon is a tragedy of sorts (the musical, not her performance), so yes she can look more angsty and 'sad', but it's hard to have it both ways. So many fans are critical of Medvedeva or Radionova for their OTT miming and choreo...so where is the balance? Watching Rad's free skate yesterday, I did think I wish Mirai would sell her programs as half as much as her...but I'm thinking this is a work in progress.

I would almost recommend getting a new SP though - and really choreograph the opening into the 3A. She doesn't need any comparisons with EM and use a new short as a fresh start. I'm torn between suggesting using her sassy, sexy exhibition number and turning it into a short - because she has fire and personality there...or something subtle and serious like Moonlight Sonata or Clair de Lune. Maybe even a version of Czisny's Winter into Spring.

For those calling for her to do Golden Spin...just curious why...to have another competition and practice getting the nerves out and another chance to skate clean?

Frida80

COR Results aside - whew it's always a roller coaster for Mirai fans. Girl has grit and fight in her. I think maybe, just maybe, she's trying too hard. Scott Hamilton said this about Ashley Wagner several times before she won in 2012...that AW squeezes too hard...she wants it too much and just doesn't relax into her performances. I still think Ash doesn't relax fully.

Positives...let's consider four years ago when Mirai didn't have a full set of lady triples (no 3S attempts for a long time prior, until after moving to Tom). She's added TWO triples to her arsenal since then. Not many ladies can say they've done that - and with generally correct edges on her lutz/flip.

Miss Saigon is a tragedy of sorts (the musical, not her performance), so yes she can look more angsty and 'sad', but it's hard to have it both ways. So many fans are critical of Medvedeva or Radionova for their OTT miming and choreo...so where is the balance? Watching Rad's free skate yesterday, I did think I wish Mirai would sell her programs as half as much as her...but I'm thinking this is a work in progress.

I would almost recommend getting a new SP though - and really choreograph the opening into the 3A. She doesn't need any comparisons with EM and use a new short as a fresh start. I'm torn between suggesting using her sassy, sexy exhibition number and turning it into a short - because she has fire and personality there...or something subtle and serious like Moonlight Sonata or Clair de Lune. Maybe even a version of Czisny's Winter into Spring.

For those calling for her to do Golden Spin...just curious why...to have another competition and practice getting the nerves out and another chance to skate clean?

Golden Spin would be one more comp to work the bugs out before nationals. The last time she did golden spin, she won it and did two decent program at nationals. She also gets WR points that will keep her in the later groups at the Olympics/World’s. It’s a way to build momentum.

GullyGirl84

Golden Spin would be one more comp to work the bugs out before nationals. The last time she did golden spin, she won it and did two decent program at nationals. She also gets WR points that will keep her in the later groups at the Olympics/World’s. It’s a way to build momentum.

I think you're thinking of the Ice Challenge (which Mirai did in place of when she usually had her first grand prix, before she did NHK in 2015-when she had only one grand prix assignment due to not doing well the 2014-15 season). At the time, I remember thinking that doing a low key event instead of a first grand prix was a positive for Mirai-less pressure, she usually does poorly at her first grand prix of the season and then gets better. And when she won Ice Challenge, she did it with a nearly 10 points less score than what she got in Russia. I would be all for getting a new short, or turning her exhibition (or one of her past ones) into a new short , but I really think that it's more likely that they'll just re-think the elements.

We know that Mirai has it in her to at least get sp issues together enough to have a strong sp for nationals. It's the nailing LP, with the pressure of knowing that she's put herself in a good position in the short, that's the issue. Her LP here was actually one of her stronger ones in her career (sadly, lol) , but the field was stacked/content level has really gone up for everyone in the past quad. At least Mirai has experienced what a pre-olympics nationals is like twice-even though she wasn't named to the team in '14, finishing top three both times is commendable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information