"No one knows Mirai's mirai" Nagasu cheer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bardtoob

@Spun Silver I think they did not want to over-commit Mirai to the 3A. Mirai is giving her best effort, and I totally support her in that. However, promising 3As is hard to do.

Last edited:

mag

Except there is no promise in saying she is “attempting.” I highly doubt anyone would say Patrick Chan was “flirting” with a 4S. That word seems to be specifically relegated to female athletes and IMHO is derogatory.

Spun Silver

@Spun Silver I think they did not want to over-commit Mirai to the 3A. Mirai is giving her best effort, and I totally support her in that. However, promising 3As is hard to do.
I know that, but my points were (1) that the piece is already seriously out of date wrt Mirai’s 3A, and (2) that the way they describe it sounds condescending. They could say, “Nagasu made history by being the first US lady to land two ratified 3As at an international ISU competition this fall, but they were not cleanly landed.” Or “Nagasu is one of only three ladies competing the triple axel this season. She has gotten credit for two and is only the third US lady ever to land the jump in competition but it remains to be seen whether she can execute it cleanly while still delivering the rest of her programs.” Or abbreviated versions of the above.

GullyGirl84

Well, in other news...I knew in my mind that Skate America was last this year, but I forgot that NHK was so soon (2 weeks). Mirai has most always done better at her second grand prix event, but I think that it's the first time in a while that she hasn't had the last grand prix event in the series- at least, I remember her having the last event from 2012-2016. So hopefully she is able to show some improvement in Japan. I feel less badly about her finish in Russia after seeing her scores compared to the Skate Canada scores (though the caller there was tough), aka, none of the US ladies are lighting it on fire so far. I have less anxiety than I usually do about her free skates, but I still am not sure what to think about the short program layout, and I wonder how successful she is with the run-throughs in practice. Triple Axel, triple flip-triple toe, Triple Lutz just seems like such a tough layout, especially for someone whose shorts are usually not squeaky clean on the grand prix-though I still think her 2015 NHK short was underscored!

I miss the cohesion of her SP choreography from 2016 Autumn Classic...

bardtoob

I know that, but my points were (1) that the piece is already seriously out of date wrt Mirai’s 3A, and (2) that the way they describe it sounds condescending. They could say, “Nagasu made history by being the first US lady to land two ratified 3As at an international ISU competition this fall, but they were not cleanly landed.” Or “Nagasu is one of only three ladies competing the triple axel this season. She has gotten credit for two and is only the third US lady ever to land the jump in competition but it remains to be seen whether she can execute it cleanly while still delivering the rest of her programs.” Or abbreviated versions of the above.

Fair enough

Bellanca

Mirai is so pretty in the opening picture.
Mirai shines in those photos! Now, she must take that inner beauty and outer glow onto the ice. She is still someone (despite having been to an Olympic Games) that I consider and cheer for as one of my underdog inclined skaters. Hand-wringing and pearl-clutching will always precede her comps thanks to the recent addition of a 3A, but I do see confidence and positive energy. I remain hopeful that it will materialize when she needs it the most, as all the ingredients are there. I cannot say it or stress it enough that Mirai is the complete package -- if she'll just get out of her own way.

SkateFanBerlin

Happy Halloween! Just for fun and in the spirit of the occasion, here's Mirai's "Witches Of Eastwick" SP from 2011 U.S. Nationals:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEDJOZQhOI0

How I miss that arched over Ina Bauer into the 2A! It was GORGEOUS!
So beautiful and relaxed. The tech standards have gone up so much since then. Now, without a 3-3 in the short there's no reason to put your skates on!

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
So beautiful and relaxed. The tech standards have gone up so much since then. Now, without a 3-3 in the short there's no reason to put your skates on!

I know right? It felt a little strange actually seeing Mirai doing 'just' a 3-2! I'm so used to virtually everyone doing the 3-3 jumps now in both programs! By the same token, going back further I am reminded that Mirai did indeed do 3-3's in her programs before going to Frank! She did them in 2008 the year she won Nationals. I wonder why she stopped doing them in the Olympic season of all times? ALL the top contenders for medals had them in their arsenal by 2010! Still, it's a testament to Nagasu's talent that even with an easier combo it carried her to top 4 at the Olympics! That surely will be a happy memory for Mirai long after she hangs up her skates! :)

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
I'm guessing it's because Frank was conservative and perhaps there were some rotational issues? I can't remember when the URs started.

The 3-3 in 2008 SP was clean!

Bellanca

Mirai kind of hit the skids for awhile. No big secret there. Lots of people counted her out, hinted at retirement after the Frank stuff hit the fan, followed by the Sochi fiasco. I believe that all of this drama certainly took its toll on Mirai which became pretty evident on the ice with her skating. I think she battled the self-conscious demons and her UR battles became even worse. Bottom line, Mirai has traveled a bumpy road... I've hoped a million times over already that Mirai will experience and enjoy a smooth ride this season - starting now. The fan in me wants this for the inspiring athlete in her.

Last edited:

Spun Silver

The face she gave at the end of her program is to die for. Or faces, one after another.

I dont think a medal is possible here unless Tsurskaya or Kostner implodes but it’s great that we can even talk about it as being possible after Rostelecom. That skate must have given her a lot of fresh confidence. To go out there and do what she did in that company is a mini Olympics in itself. Hopefully now she believes she can and will get there. I hope she is aiming at at least a top ten finish, maybe even top five. Mostly she talks about just getting there. Well done, Mirai! God bless the Japanese fans!

GullyGirl84

Mirai channeled her inner queen and looked about ready to behead someone at the end :rofl: :D Haha, I liked angry/intense Chopin, and if this is what it takes for Mirai to emote, I think she should go with it for nationals. We know that this is something that Mirai has struggled with, so I give her so much credit for skating with fire in her eyes, I think that was the most expressive we have seen her be since Worlds 2016. And despite the technical calls, particularly the ! on the lutz since we know that she can get it without an edge call at times, we can now say that Mirai has rotated/landed a triple axel on the grand prix (**negative GOE oc, but there is still the free).
edit: after watching a second time, my quibble would be that I don't even know which choreography is supposed to go with the beats of the music anymore, it's changed so much from last year, and sometimes even from competition to competition. Did they reverse the combo with the second spin this time as well? I might not have even noticed if I hadn't seen the program before though I guess...but it was frankly so nice to see her show a little passion during the footwork sequence that I'll take it! I hope she can at least get her combo rotated in the sp at nationals. Would still prefer steps going into a triple loop.

Last edited:

giselle23

Mirai underscored on PCS, again. Seriously, isn't her skating worth at least 8s? It seems like the judges are just keeping all but a select few in the 7s. I guess that gives them more flexibilty to reward their favorites in the free, if it looks like they need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information