Nguyen & Kolesnik have ended their partnership

mjb52

But Carreira/Ponamorenko were in fourth at Nationals weren't they? There are a lot of teams below them on the list. It's definitely weird.

VGThuy

Maybe this is just one big joke C/P, Igor, and USFS are playing on all of us because they knew how we'd all react, :p. Seriously, I hope it's an oversight because otherwise, I have a feeling one of them will be blindsided.

aliona22

re: releases I think Vadym's situation is more akin to Mervin Tran's than Zagorski, Massot, or Ilyushechkina who were citizens of the country that didn't want to let them go. Japan released Mervin without issue after he split from Narumi Takahashi, and he is a World medalist. IIRC his release from Canada > US took longer than his release from Japan > Canada, perhaps because he is a Canadian citizen and not a Japanese one.

BittyBug

Disgusted
For those convinced that USFS would not release Kolesnik, are there examples of a Fed holding a non-citizen? I can't think of any but that just means that I can't think of any, LOL.

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
Christina has confirmed on twitter that it was an error that is being fixed, they're all good!
I mean, the theory that she’s the only one out of the loop is still possible. We all remember what happened to Ilinykh. She went to 2014 Worlds as a reigning Olympic Bronze medalist and didn’t know her partnership was already over.

hanca

Values her privacy
is his daughter that good an icedancer?
Well, define what a good ice dancer is. She was fourth at the Russian senior nationals, but saying that, it came quite as a suprise. The teams that placed between 4th and 9th place had been roughly at the same level during last season and have been swapping placements throughout the season, their points also have been up and down. So even though Morozov finished 4th, she could also easily have been 9th. Nevertheless, now that she placed 4th, the federation would consider them as a couple who is much higher than the rest of the group and I would expect their marks at home to be inflated. At the same time, that may make release much harder because now they are on the main national team.

Last edited:

hanca

Values her privacy
re: releases I think Vadym's situation is more akin to Mervin Tran's than Zagorski, Massot, or Ilyushechkina who were citizens of the country that didn't want to let them go. Japan released Mervin without issue after he split from Narumi Takahashi, and he is a World medalist. IIRC his release from Canada > US took longer than his release from Japan > Canada, perhaps because he is a Canadian citizen and not a Japanese one.
I would definitely not compare Japanese skating federation with US federation. I have never heard about anyone having problems getting released from Japan, whereas I have heard about problem with getting released from USA.

kirkbiggestfan

For those convinced that USFS would not release Kolesnik, are there examples of a Fed holding a non-citizen? I can't think of any but that just means that I can't think of any, LOL.
I don't remember the exact details, but I think that Novoselov had to wait before beeing released by France to skate with Stolbova.

Sylvia

TBD
Several omissions were made in the team envelopes list (reportedly it was a technical glitch and the missing names should appear after the website server has updated) - link to the thread I've started for the 2020-21 U.S. team envelopes & ISP: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...opes-international-selection-pool-isp.107349/

Nguyen/Kolesnik's names have been removed from the ISP and they are not included in the Team B envelope so their split is officially official. :(

Tinami Amori

Which ever partner ends up with Kolsenik, if such happens, the fact that (at least) his training expenses need to be subsidized is not a healthy situation. Unequal arrangements often do not work out.

In the last interview Kolesnik noted on several occasions how various costs of items/services are less in Ukraine than in USA. Maybe he can try skating in Ukraine for Ukraine, his family probably would be able to afford it better (since they are paying for his apt. and food in USA and flights to Ukraine for vacations) and the UA Federation can help him, given his accomplishments.

It is not mentally healthy for a young men to be financially dependant on his partner's parents finances.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
This is a really sad turn of affairs for Vadym and Avonley. I am definitely shocked about their split and fairly speechless. The first thing that comes to my mind is the reaction I had when I first saw them skating together. Their chemistry and the quality they exuded together jumped off the ice and mesmerized me. I was so happy for them winning junior Worlds and I was very much looking forward to following their career.

Sadly, there's always the possibility of life situations and relationship differences happening to upset dreams and expectations. I wish the best for both of them, but right now I'm having a difficult time imagining either of them finding the kind of magic they had with each other. Partners and potentially great partnerships do not grow on trees. Still, they're both very young and there's always tomorrow.

With all of these various partner splits, I wonder how much the uncertainty caused by the recent global health crisis is playing a role in some of these splits?

Lana's Box

Which ever partner ends up with Kolsenik, if such happens, the fact that (at least) his training expenses need to be subsidized is not a healthy situation. Unequal arrangements often do not work out.

In the last interview Kolesnik noted on several occasions how various costs of items/services are less in Ukraine than in USA. Maybe he can try skating in Ukraine for Ukraine, his family probably would be able to afford it better (since they are paying for his apt. and food in USA and flights to Ukraine for vacations) and the UA Federation can help him, given his accomplishments.

It is not mentally healthy for a young men to be financially dependant on his partner's parents finances.
It was the arrangement they made when he was 14 yo. Problem was, they fell super hard for each other right away and it went on for a long time. Like Romeo & Juliette thing, madly in love. Rumors were that they broke up in 2019 and Vadik started seeing another girl in 2020. I don't now first hand, I am sure some people here do but don't want to tell.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Like Romeo & Juliette thing, madly in love.

Hmmm, I doubt 'madly in love.' At such a young age, it's more like 'madly infatuated.' Such attractions at such a young age rarely last, especially coupled with the intensity of training and competition. Forget about the additional stresses Vadym was facing living and working in a new country. Sharing a relationship on and off the ice does not work for everyone, especially not for young teenagers, unless they can somehow be grounded in and counseled by the wisdom and guidance of adults around them.

Teenagers can fall hard for each other, and just as easily they can have a romantic attraction be broken up by the intensity of their emotions, because they need to gain more perspective and life experience. At such young ages, being counseled to maintain a lighthearted perspective is important. Everything (especially romantic entanglements) seems so huge and 'end-of-the-world' intense at a young age. Of course, such matters also depend on the personalities and particular situations involved.

Last edited:

Jammers

I haven't paid much attention to this board for the last few months with everything that's going on but i'm shocked that N/K have split. They were the future of US Ice Dance and while they were most likely not going to make the Olympic team for 2022 since they would only have a couple of seasons to try to climb over at least 3 other teams they had such huge potential. To be honest the perfect pairing for Avonley would be Anthony but i know that won't happen but together i think they would be dynamite and have a great chance at making the Olympic team. One of Avonley's biggest strength's is her beautiful perfect posture which to be honest is one of Christina's biggest weaknesses and Nguyen also seems to be a stronger competitor. Someone as good as her sitting on the sidelines without a partner is almost a crime.

Perky Shae Lynn

I would be shocked to see A & A happen. Christina and Anthony are too tight. Marina treats Christina like a daughter. There is a lot to be said about having a mother who is not only gracious and kind, but has seen everything in skating. I can't imagine this couple splitting, but stranger things have happened.

Lara111

I haven't paid much attention to this board for the last few months with everything that's going on but i'm shocked that N/K have split. They were the future of US Ice Dance and while they were most likely not going to make the Olympic team for 2022 since they would only have a couple of seasons to try to climb over at least 3 other teams they had such huge potential. To be honest the perfect pairing for Avonley would be Anthony but i know that won't happen but together i think they would be dynamite and have a great chance at making the Olympic team. One of Avonley's biggest strength's is her beautiful perfect posture which to be honest is one of Christina's biggest weaknesses and Nguyen also seems to be a stronger competitor. Someone as good as her sitting on the sidelines without a partner is almost a crime.
I do not think Avonley is a good match for Anthony. Christina is much better for him.

Lara111

I would be shocked to see A & A happen. Christina and Anthony are too tight. Marina treats Christina like a daughter. There is a lot to be said about having a mother who is not only gracious and kind, but has seen everything in skating. I can't imagine this couple splitting, but stranger things have happened.
I can imagine this couple splitting but not for Avonley

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Ice dance partnerships are developed over years, and if it's a successful partnership, both partners and their coaches and parents have invested a lot of time and effort and resources into making it work. I really don't get this speculation of "Skater A doesn't have a partner any more, so Skater B from this other partnership should skate with them." It doesn't work that way. Successful partners don't break up just because there's another skater now without a partner and who might be a good match for one of them.

Last edited:

dramagrrl

It doesn't work that way. Successful partners don't break up just because there's another skater now without a partner and who might be a good match for one of them.
Unfortunately, it does work that way sometimes. It has happened many times in pairs and ice dance over the years.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Unfortunately, it does work that way sometimes. It has happened many times in pairs and ice dance over the years.

When it does, and it's not the norm, there's usually something else going wrong somewhere in the partnership. The other skater looking for a new partner is an excuse to break up a partnership that probably wasn't going to last anyway. Or a coach interferes and decides who should skate with who.

Perky Shae Lynn

I was just thinking the other day that Anton Spiridonov could be a good match for Avonley, at least physically (+ the citizenship). But now he's paired up with Lorraine so that's out.

mikej

PEACE! OK, I too am saddened by the breakup of Avonley and Vadym. I had such hopes for their future, and for our enjoyment. I still have hopes for their futures in Ice dance

aftershocks

Banned Member
Well, I'm really happy for them that they achieved their goal of winning Junior Worlds together! I'm also really saddened by their breakup. But life moves forward, and we have their past performances to remember.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information