New USFS Excel Competition Series

Willin

This competition series will occur during the spring and culminate in a "National Festival" taking place in June. It is run by the development section, so I'd assume the purpose is both to develop higher level skaters and to encourage non-elite skaters to continue participating in the sport.

Personally, looking at the handbook I really like this idea, but I do feel the idea is half-baked at this point. Some of the points aren't really fleshed out enough as far as what constitutes "plus" vs. normal divisions at the lower levels.
I also feel like the competition list, particularly for the Pacific section, is very limited and may limit participation because of it - for instance, the biggest skating clubs in the Pacific section is California and yet there's not a single California competition on the list. Unless they're using that to try to develop skating in less skating-heavy areas or still working out the details with California competitions?
I am worried about the non-plus levels having way too many participants or otherwise encouraging skaters to "skate down" from the plus level so they can say they got to the National Festival. Yes, the "plus" level is designed to have skaters "push the envelope" but what's to stop skaters from the non-plus levels from pushing the envelope as well and dominating?
USFSA Page

Some highlights include:
  • A "plus" track for levels below Intermediate.
    • This plus track will have all levels (preliminary, pre-juv, and juvenile) judged on IJS
    • These skaters will be required to qualify through a series of competitions. They must compete in at least one competition to qualify. They may compete in as many of the competitions as they choose, but only the top two finishes will be counted.
    • The IJS scores from the top two finishes will be added together to make the invitation rankings
    • Intermediate and above will only have one track that will be treated the same as the "plus" track
    • According to the flyer (but not the rules) this track may allow skaters to perform skills above test level and encourages skaters to push the envelope more
  • The normal track will have a point-for-placement system similar to what is used on the Grand Prix
    • All skaters who compete will be allowed to compete at the National Festival regardless of placement or rankings
    • Skaters who were in the top 6 in each section will receive special recognition at the National Festival
    • Competitions may either use IJS or 6.0 for these competitions
  • All skaters must be under 21
  • Test levels for normal competition apply (they don't say what differentiates plus and normal track as far as tests go - it might just be a sign-up difference?)
  • There will be a development camp for certain skaters at the National Festival
I certainly think this will be interesting and will encourage skaters to compete more, be competition ready all year, and be more consistent. I think it will be a great way to scout young talent. I also like that they're trying to separate out the "plus" skaters from other skaters so that non-future elite skaters can compete outside of that competitive track but still attend a National competition.
On the other hand, as I said above I have some concerns about the fact that some of the finer points of this competition series have not been fleshed out enough.

I'd like to hear other thoughts about this.
(Also I wish the adult Nationals qualifying was more like this - it would be easier to pay for two or three more local competitions plus nationals than to pay to travel for both sectionals and nationals)

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I think the purpose of hte plus category is to give lower level skaters who think they are on track to eventually do ISU comps with ISU judging a chance to compete under ISU. Opportunities to skate under ISU before Novice level are either non-existent or close to it. So that's the appeal of that category. I predict enough skaters will jump at the chance.

gkelly

I only know what I've read in the documentation, but here's how I understand it.

This competition series will occur during the spring and culminate in a "National Festival" taking place in June. It is run by the development section, so I'd assume the purpose is both to develop higher level skaters and to encourage non-elite skaters to continue participating in the sport.

I think it's an attempt to motivate skaters to keep competing at higher levels even if they don't have the harder doubles or any triples, supposedly more inviting than the previous Test Track competitions. I don't think the higher level events are aimed at anyone who might be on an elite track, but for those who max out their jump content with doubles and would like to keep passing tests and keep competing even though they would be far outclassed by the top competitors at regionals (and at junior and senior levels are not capable of meeting the SP jump requirements).

And to reward those who compete most successfully under those parameters.

I don't know if the hope is that higher test skaters who keep going to regionals even though they can't meet the SP requirements will do this instead, or that skaters who stop competing (or competing singles) at all as teenagers, or leave the sport entirely, will be encouraged to continue to compete. Maybe some of each.

Because there are no SPs in the Excel events, the series could be more accessible to skaters who don't train as many hours per week or have as much money to invest in choreography, costumes, etc.

Personally, looking at the handbook I really like this idea, but I do feel the idea is half-baked at this point. Some of the points aren't really fleshed out enough as far as what constitutes "plus" vs. normal divisions at the lower levels.

The regular levels Excel are very similar to the previous Test Track requirements -- no jumps allowed beyond the minimum required to past the old versions of the tests (with minor exceptions such as allowing single lutz in Preliminary Test Track/regular Preliminary Excel even though it didn't fill a required slot on the old version of the Preliminary test and it is still possible to pass that test without one).

You can find the Excel and Excel Plus free skate requirements here:
https://www.usfigureskating.org/story?id=91888&menu=excelseries

And standard Well-Balanced free skate requirements here:
https://www.usfigureskating.org/story?id=84109

I also feel like the competition list, particularly for the Pacific section, is very limited and may limit participation because of it - for instance, the biggest skating clubs in the Pacific section is California and yet there's not a single California competition on the list. Unless they're using that to try to develop skating in less skating-heavy areas or still working out the details with California competitions?

I don't know if there's still time to add more for 2019 season, but presumably they hope the series will grow in popularity, comparable to the solo dance series.

I am worried about the non-plus levels having way too many participants or otherwise encouraging skaters to "skate down" from the plus level so they can say they got to the National Festival. Yes, the "plus" level is designed to have skaters "push the envelope" but what's to stop skaters from the non-plus levels from pushing the envelope as well and dominating?

The strict limits on jump content, and spin content at the lower levels. This is not about envelope pushing. It's about meaningful competition for skaters who want to keep passing tests even though they don't have the content to be competitive at regionals or beyond.

For Preliminary, Pre-Juvenile, and Juvenile test-level skaters who hope to be ready for standard Juvenile or Intermediate the next year (if age eligible), the Excel Plus series can be an introduction to IJS.

It's up to the host clubs whether to use IJS at lower levels for regular Excel events OR for standard Well-Balanced events.

As it is now, if, for example, you've passed your Pre-Preliminary but not your Pre-Juvenile FS test, you have a usable axel but no competition-ready doubles yet, and you hope to be ready to compete Juvenile at regionals next season, then Preliminary Excel Plus would be a way to get IJS experience, and maybe advance to a national event, at your current level. In standard Excel Preliminary, you wouldn't be allowed to include your axel. In Well-Balanced Preliminary, you could be up against kids with a couple of solid doubles.

And your local club's nonqualifying competition might not choose to use IJS for any level below Juvenile. If they want to be part of the Excel series, they will need to use IJS for Excel Preliminary Plus and Pre-Juvenile Plus. But they might not use IJS for the standard Preliminary and Pre-Juvenile well-balanced.

In that case, skaters at those levels would have a choice: Do you want IJS feedback? Or do you want be able to attempt your double jumps-in-progress?

Test levels for normal competition apply (they don't say what differentiates plus and normal track as far as tests go - it might just be a sign-up difference?)

From the Excel Series handbook:

All skaters must either compete at their test level or one level above their highest US Figure Skating free skating test passed.

The determination of level will be based upon test level as of the 2019 Excel Competition Series entry deadline of March 1, 2019, or when the skater submits their registration to be an Excel Series participant (whichever date is earlier). If a skater plans to take a free skating test during the 2019 Excel Series season, they should start the season registered to compete one level above their highest US Figure Skating free skating test passed in order to remain eligible to compete within the Series after passing their next free skating event.

For example, if a Pre-Preliminary skater plans to take their Preliminary test during the Series season, they should register for the series to compete in Excel Preliminary or Excel Preliminary Plus in order to remain eligible to compete in the Series after passing the Preliminary free skating test.

Skaters may not change or move up levels in the 2019 Series once the registration deadline has passed.

I.e., as with most nonqualifying competitions, skaters are allowed to compete either at the level of the highest freestyle test they have already passed, or at the next higher level ("skating up").

Because this is a series, if you start out at your existing test level at the beginning of the season and then pass the next test, you would no longer be eligible to compete at your old test level. So if you're doing the series and are planning to pass a test during the season, you would start by skating up one level and then test up to that level.

I suppose you could skate the whole series at one level higher than the last test you'd passed and not pass any more tests during the season.

If you plan to pass more than one test during the season, that could be a problem with being eligible for the full season, which you'd need to do at the same level in order to be eligible to advance.

I think the purpose of hte plus category is to give lower level skaters who think they are on track to eventually do ISU comps with ISU judging a chance to compete under ISU. Opportunities to skate under ISU before Novice level are either non-existent or close to it. So that's the appeal of that category. I predict enough skaters will jump at the chance.

Not sure what you mean by "ISU" here. This is not a track aimed at potential international competitors. Did you mean to say "IJS" instead?

Last edited:

Willin

@gkelly Thanks for the link on the tech content. I didn't dig hard enough to find it. That solves a lot of my concerns.

I was thinking that the top skaters at Int/Nov/Jun/Sen wouldn't participate in this both because of the timing on Nationals/4CC/Worlds/Junior Worlds and because even those who don't make those competitions seem not to compete until late spring at the earliest. That seems to be getting later every year - this year I've noticed a lot of the juniors and seniors at my rinks don't start competing until July!

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I hope that Micro$oft doesn't get on USFS' case for calling this the "Excel" series. I saw the name and thought it was something sponsored by Office 365 :lol:

Frida80

Looks like this is a way for USFS to siphon of those non-competitive skaters that insist on competing in competitions but have no real hope of being competitive on the regular levels. I have noticed for a while sometimes at novice and junior levels people with just doubles competing for the fun of competing. This could help stream line competitions while still allowing passionate skaters a way to continue to compete.

DreamSkates

Will it benefit those hoping/working to get to higher levels, to have more competitions? I read somewhere (maybe I'm wrong) that there are many competiions in Russia. That helps thse who do make it to top levels, gain much more experience along the way.

Frida80

Will it benefit those hoping/working to get to higher levels, to have more competitions? I read somewhere (maybe I'm wrong) that there are many competiions in Russia. That helps thse who do make it to top levels, gain much more experience along the way.

I'm not sure how it will help directly. Indirectly I can see something things changing. But I think of it as a place to send lost scoring skaters that still want to compete but lack the technical ability.

DreamSkates

I'm not sure how it will help directly. Indirectly I can see something things changing. But I think of it as a place to send lost scoring skaters that still want to compete but lack the technical ability.
So more skaters are included rather than excluded which opens up opportunity - maybe a way to make figure skating more popular, or more reachable for the average skater.

Willin

@Frida80 I see it as that for the higher levels (Intermediate, Novice, Junior, Senior, etc.) where USFS has already scouted out the talent through higher level competitions or the new competition series that will be put in place instead of Nationals.

I think for lower levels (Beginner, Preliminary, Pre-Juv) it could be a great way to scout talent early and engage them and their parents with the USFS development staff early on through funding, support, or other things so that they don't quit or cut back before reaching the higher levels. As part of the National Festival they will have some sort of training camp for all of the finalists, maybe to build on the scouting.

gkelly

I don't think it's aimed at scouting talent, because the most talented skaters will be doing the Well-Balanced program competitions.

Regular Excel is pretty much the same as the Test Track competition track that existed for the past few years and is a direct replacement for it.

Excel Plus allows a little bit more jump content than Test Track/straight Excel but not as much as Well-Balanced.

At Preliminary level, if you want to do any doubles at all you need to do Well-Balanced events. The Excel Plus will allow an axel but no doubles.

At Pre-Juvenile, if you want to do multiple doubles you need to do Well-Balanced events. The Excel Plus will allow one 2S or one 2T but no other doubles.

At those levels, another appeal of the Excel Plus events might be the fact that competitions that are part of the series need to offer IJS for these events. They might not offer IJS for standard Well-Balanced Preliminary and Pre-Juvenile. So if you're looking for IJS experience at those test levels, you might choose Excel Plus for that reason.

The potential of qualifying for a final might also attract some talented young skaters at those levels.

But if they're talented jumpers and are looking long-term at competing on the standard track, they would need to compete with only single jumps (or one easy double in Pre-Juv Plus) to try to qualify for the final. If including more doubles is important to them, then neither flavor of Excel would be the right event.

At Juvenile, if you're on track for an elite career and are under 13, with all your doubles (and maybe a double axel and as of this year one triple), you'll do Well Balanced and you'll enter regionals, and/or as of next year nonqualifying competitions that can get you eligible top 6 scores to advance straight to sectionals. That's where any talent scouting will be happening, especially among those who qualify for sectionals and from there to the national training camp.

If you're over 13 you can do Open Juvenile, or you can test up to Intermediate.

Excel Juvenile Plus allows only 2S and 2T.

The reasons to skate Juvenile Excel Plus would be if those are the exact doubles that you have now so you don't want to compete against kids with double axels, and you don't want to stay back in Preliminary or Pre-Juvenile and maybe aren't old enough for Open Juvenile.

The minimum requirements on the juvenile test include a single axel. Doubles including axels, and now one triple, are now allowed on the juvenile test, but it's possible to pass the test with no doubles at all.

Regular Excel (old Test Track) Juvenile is for skaters who could just pass the test with the minimum requirements but no more. There is a huge gap between the minimum content required to pass that test (single jumps including axel) and the maximum that is allowed in Juvenile Well-Balanced programs (all doubles including double-double combinations, double axels, now one triple). Excel Plus will bridge that gap somewhat by giving a competition for skaters who want to keep passing tests up to juvenile level and want to include the easier doubles that they are capable of landing, but not have to compete against kids with all the doubles. It allows skaters to "push (their own) envelope" by trying something (easy doubles) beyond the minimum skills required to pass the test.

But not pushing the envelope for juvenile skating in general. That happens in the Well-Balanced events with the kids attempting double axels and maybe a triple.

The Excel track seems more geared for average skaters than for potential elite track athletes. But by making it into a series with a national final at the higher levels, it gives those skaters an incentive to aim to excel (hence the name, I assume) at the skills they can do.

Last edited:

gkelly

Or perhaps potential qualification for the series final would be an incentive for skaters to work on quality of easier jumps and everything else before putting harder jumps in their programs. So it could be developmental toward elite track in that way. But probably not so much as a way of getting noticed.

LimeyOrange

Thanks for explaining these differences, I have been confused over the Excel vs the traditional competition tract and when/why one would choose the Excel over the traditional tract.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Now, if only they could find a way to give better than average skaters more opportunities to compete in order to further develop their talent.

gkelly

Wait what? Do you guys not use IJS under Novice?

All US qualifying competitions use IJS beginning at Juvenile (two levels below novice).

Most nonqualifying competitions also use IJS beginning at Juvenile.

If a nonqualifying competition is not going to use IJS for juvenile and intermediate, they're probably not going to use it at higher levels either. Either they have the system and personnel on hand and would use it for the most populous qualifying levels (juvenile and intermediate) or they don't have the necessary officials at all.

In my area, some have been offering it for Pre-Juvenile, to introduce the kids to the more demanding system before they get to qualifying levels. I understand that many competitions in California have been using a version of IJS for even lower levels, and that this will probably become encouraged nationwide in coming years.

I'm not sure what MacMadame was really talking about.

Vark

There is no rule that says you can't do both excel and well balanced. It'll just be full of kids who are also doing well balanced.

gkelly

The individual competition announcements may not allow entering freeskates on two different tracks (or at two different levels). But there would be nothing to stop skaters entering Excel events at one competition and Well-Balanced events at the next competition. Or enter an Excel freeskate and standard short program at levels that have short programs.

Since the series is in the spring, I also expect that at Juvenile some skaters will compete in Excel Plus in the spring, then start preparing for Regionals in the fall, whether or not they're able to add more doubles for the standard track.

Or at higher levels, compete Intermediate-Senior Excel in the spring, maybe regular SP at the same events, and then focus on standard track leading toward regionals.

They would most likely know that they will place toward the bottom of the field at regionals, but they may feel that participating in the big qualifying event is the peak of their season even if they're not competitive.

Similar to how some international skaters may feel validated by getting to compete at Junior Worlds or Euros or 4Cs, even if they are unlikely to make top 24.

concorde

I got the email yesterday and have been pondering what this really means.

My guess is the long term plan is to get rid of non-qualifying Regionals and switch those skaters to this excel series so they they get a chance to go to "Nationals." If that is the case, I think the plan is brilliant. This is similar to how the solo ice dance series works and that is well received.

This would then keep the traditional Regionals and Sectionals as the pipeline for elite skaters.

mackiecat

This program is on the same vein of Starskate in Canada. I like that they are offering a Nationals in US. Canada only has provincial championships at this level. I don’t understand keeping the well balanced program? Why start your kids off in 6.0? Canada starts IJS at Star 5. Below they are evaluated to a gold/ silver/ bronze standard. Mexico judges everything in IJS. I’d really want to see what a level 4 two foot spin looks like.

Theoreticalgirl

your faves are problematic
I’d really want to see what a level 4 two foot spin looks like.

Doubt that would happen—I imagine that IJS being implemented at lower level skaters has restrictions/adjustments similar to what USFS does with the Adult skating track. (For example, in Adult Silver, spin levels are maxed out at 2; we are judged on 4 components, instead of 5.)

gkelly

Most clubs charge more for IJS than for 6.0 events. It costs the club more to bring in more/special officials (tech panel, technical accountant, etc.) for IJS events, but there's no need to pass that cost on to skaters who don't benefit from it.

At levels that could use either system, the IJS feedback is useful, especially if it comes with live critiques from a tech panel member and/or judge, and especially for skaters who are interested in where they can improve to be the best skaters they can be, or who are the only skater entered in their event (common for boys at all levels, and pairs if any exist; also for higher-test-level girls in small clubs/isolated locations with few high-level skaters).

But the extra cost might not be worthwhile for recreational skaters who are mainly in it for fun and exercise.

Some more details from the Excel Program Technical Information document at the Excel Technical Info page:

Skaters may not enter both a Well-Balanced Free Skate event and an Excel
Free Skate event at the same non-qualifying competition.

Excel events may be run as either 6.0 or IJS subject to the individual competition announcement.

With IJS at these levels,

Beginner and High Beginner: all spins are Level Base
Excel Pre-Preliminary through Excel Pre-Juvenile Plus: All spins, Max Level 1
Excel Juvenile and Intermediate: All spins, Max Level 2
Excel Novice: All spins, Max Level 3

And for Well-Balanced programs at lower levels if scored under IJS, from the Calling Clarifications for Junior and Below on the USFS Singles/Pairs Technical Info page:

No Test, Pre-Preliminary: All spins: Max Level 1
Preliminary, Pre-Juvenile: Eight continuous revolutions (no change in position or edge) in camel, sit, layback or Biellmann are compulsory to be eligible for Level 1; Any other feature may be performed for a max Level 2.

For those who are not familiar with how the various levels line up in each track, see the Competitive Progression Through the Levels of U.S. Figure Skating chart available on the Excel Technical Info page linked above.

Last edited:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Not sure what you mean by "ISU" here. This is not a track aimed at potential international competitors. Did you mean to say "IJS" instead?
Yes, the IJS scoring system.

All US qualifying competitions use IJS beginning at Juvenile (two levels below novice).
Okay, that's a change from the last time I was paying attention. :D

There is no rule that says you can't do both excel and well balanced. It'll just be full of kids who are also doing well balanced.
I don't think that's practical. You'd need double the programs because of the content restrictions.

mackiecat

Doubt that would happen—I imagine that IJS being implemented at lower level skaters has restrictions/adjustments similar to what USFS does with the Adult skating track. (For example, in Adult Silver, spin levels are maxed out at 2; we are judged on 4 components, instead of 5.)
No there really is a level 4 two foot spin in Mexico.

Maximum 2 Spins: 2 Foot Spin and Upright Spin. For the 2 Foot Spin we accept the creativity and it is highly encouraged. Levels of difficulty are applied for features as follows:
-Different position (Variation) plus 1 Extra (Use of Head, Hands and/or Arms), no restriction on repetitions of these features to gain levels of difficuty according to table.
-Difficult Entry -Turning on Both Directions (3 Revs each side minimum)
-8 Revolutions without change of position/variation.

gkelly

Okay, that's a change from the last time I was paying attention. :D

Which must have been 2006. IJS has been used in the US for Juvenile up since the 2006-07 season.

I don't think that's practical. You'd need double the programs because of the content restrictions.

Or just adjust the jump content the same way skaters used to have to in their test programs.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Which must have been 2006. IJS has been used in the US for Juvenile up since the 2006-07 season.
It was after that. :D Maybe it's just my area. Most local comps don't use ISJ for anything. If they do, it's mostly for Jr. and Seniors. At least that's the way it was until about 5 years ago when I stopped going to local comps or reading their announcements.

Or just adjust the jump content the same way skaters used to have to in their test programs.
That's fine for one test skate. But it's not going to work as well if you are doing two versions of the program all season and even in the same competition.

gkelly

It was after that. :D Maybe it's just my area. Most local comps don't use ISJ for anything.

That's their option.

Qualifying competitions have used IJS for all qualifying levels since 2007.

If they do, it's mostly for Jr. and Seniors.

That surprises me. As I mentioned, if they're going to spend the money to bring in a technical controller and technical specialists -- and technical accountant and video and data operators if they're using computers -- then they might as well get their money's worth. But maybe they do everything on paper and have two or three local officials who are willing to come in for no more than a couple of hours on one day?

What I've seen on the East coast is almost all nonqualifying competitions use IJS at all qualifying levels (Juvenile and up; Adult Gold and up) and more recently for Adult Silver (which is now a qualifying level) and Pre-Juvenile. Open Juvenile (not a qualifying level) can go either way. Most use a computer system of some sort, with video replay, but some smaller competitions use paper IJS only.

There are a few exceptions like State Games that don't use IJS at all.

I have not yet seen IJS used at Preliminary level (or lower). Which is why I'm curious how the Excel Preliminary Plus will shake out, since competitions that are part of the national series will be required to use IJS for Excel Preliminary Plus and Pre-Juvenile Plus but have the option to use IJS or 6.0 for regular Excel events and for Well-Balanced events at those levels.

Different competitions may make different decisions about those levels.

But I've never seen a competition bring in tech panels for Junior and Senior only. Even if that was common where you are, it never was around here.

That's fine for one test skate. But it's not going to work as well if you are doing two versions of the program all season and even in the same competition.

It wouldn't be in the same competition. As noted above in my post #23, it's not allowed to enter the freeskate on two different tracks in the same competition.

Skaters could go back and forth from one competition to the next if they compete a lot and wanted to play with both tracks.

More likely, if they're interested in trying to qualify for the national Excel final and also to go to Regionals, they would do the Excel (or Juvenile Excel Plus) competitions in the spring and then switch over to Well-Balanced for summer competitions and regionals.

Sometimes skaters compete at one level in the spring and then decide to move up later in the season. That requires recutting the music for the new program length. This would just require replacing double jumps with singles, or maybe double loops and flips with double salchows and toe loops from similar approaches.

Last edited:

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Looks like this is a way for USFS to siphon of those non-competitive skaters that insist on competing in competitions but have no real hope of being competitive on the regular levels. I have noticed for a while sometimes at novice and junior levels people with just doubles competing for the fun of competing. This could help stream line competitions while still allowing passionate skaters a way to continue to compete.

If those skaters qualified to be there, then they are entitled to compete there. If they're there because they enjoy competing and have no illusions about where they're going to place, then more power to them. If skaters with more/better jumps want to compete in those competitions, they can qualify too. Not having as high a level of technical content than other skaters is not a reason to exclude qualified competitors or send them elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information