NCAA Gymnastics

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Cal just missed. I guess I can take some solace knowing that Florida got a good scare.

Aceon6

And it’s Oklahoma and Utah joining Michigan and Florida. I can’t say I’m disappointed with the results.

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
It pains this die hard Buckeye fan to say this but knowing that they're the only team in the final to have never won this national title, I will be rooting for the Wolverines to win it all tomorrow. :respec:

love skating

Clueless American
I'll root for Michigan too. I'm tired of Oklahoma winning and as a UCLA alum I know I'm supposed to "Back the Pac" but I just can't when it's Utah. If it had been Cal, I'd back them all the way but not Utah, sorry! I was rooting for LSU today cause UCLA's Chae Campbell was with their rotation and they were so kind and welcoming to her but unfortunately it wasn't to be for them.

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
I was SO glad that Chae was able to complete the AA today after that scary warm up vault landing she had prior to the start of that rotation. LSU was great to her which was really fun to see. I loved seeing them dancing along with her FX routine! :cheer:

And this whole rooting for the TTUN thing will not become a regular occurance for me....LMAO :rofl:

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work
Michigan wins the title!!

I don't look NCAA gymnastics but this time I watched from rotation 2 on ABC with Cathy Jonhson & Bart Connor commentary, nostalgia took its toll on me, like the old 90's gymnastics coverage on Wide World of Sports.

This was very intense and fun to watch, every gymnast giving their best, having fun and the nerv wracking of who was going to win solved until the final score. Wish 'elite' gymnastics had something similar since there is little emotion with americans wining the team competition and the other teams having a hard time trying to catch them

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
Oh man, that was so tense! A combination of circumstances allowed me to watch, which was so awesome! With the 9.75 and 9.76 on beam, I really thought Michigan was going to lose by just one tenth. I was very nervous with OU finishing on floor and Michigan on Beam and the scores so close! Then with one Gymnast to go for each team, they were TIED! At first I was thinking Michigan's last gymnast had to outscore OU's last gymnast, but then I realized they just had to get a bigger score increase from their last gymnast. I was glad the announcers did the math for me.

Anyways, my heart was in my throat the whole time!

Go Blue! What a wonderful moment for them to step up to the plate! I really counted them out a bit when they lost B1G, but they have been ON FIRE in the NCAAs. I am so proud!

:wuzrobbed :cheer: :cheer2:

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
I am very happy that the Wolverine ladies won their first national title today! What a fantastic meet for them! Watching their emotional reactions actually got me teary for them (especially when I saw their coach Bev start crying :wuzrobbed ) but it's always fun to watch a team win the biggest championship in their sport for the first time. Congrats to them! :cheer:

I did feel bad for the FL girls who had a rough day. :(

Lara

Bonjour/Hi to everyone at Worlds!
Another cheer for Michigan. :cheer2: After the 1st two rotations in the semis I was getting worried they'd leave it all on that day. Luckily that wasn't the case and they really deserved the victory, especially ending on beam. So great to finally see a new team (and not even SEC) win! Bummer for Florida but still some redemption after missing NCAAs in 2019.

So close for Cal to make finals, they just needed that bars from Watterson. But what a fantastic season.

Kudos to everyone for making it through and showing some fantastic gymnastics given the circumstances!

Lucy25

Five of LSU’s seniors are coming back for a 5th year! I could not be happier! Sarah Edwards, Reagan Campbell, Sami Durante, Bridget Dean, & Christina Desiderio 😍

Aceon6

Five of LSU’s seniors are coming back for a 5th year! I could not be happier! Sarah Edwards, Reagan Campbell, Sami Durante, Bridget Dean, & Christina Desiderio 😍
For the top recruiting teams, making the lineup may be crazy difficult in ‘22. There are 5th years, 6th years, and a bunch of extremely talented elites and level 10 freshmen on almost every top 20 squad. I feel for the new upperclassmen who were hoping for a shot.

Lucy25

For the top recruiting teams, making the lineup may be crazy difficult in ‘22. There are 5th years, 6th years, and a bunch of extremely talented elites and level 10 freshmen on almost every top 20 squad. I feel for the new upperclassmen who were hoping for a shot.
Oh my gosh, yes. This upcoming season will be ultra competitive. I’m wondering how they are managing scholarships. It doesn’t seem as though the schools can fund all the fifth and six year seniors along with new freshman. I wonder who is getting the short straw in all of this.

barbk

Oh my gosh, yes. This upcoming season will be ultra competitive. I’m wondering how they are managing scholarships. It doesn’t seem as though the schools can fund all the fifth and six year seniors along with new freshman. I wonder who is getting the short straw in all of this.
NCAA seems to be allowing some flexibility to expand DI scholarships given this situation. Gymnastics is a full scholarship sport (unlike, say, soccer, where many athletes get partial scholarships). Much will depend on whether the school has the financial capacity to fund the additional scholarships.

"Members also adjusted financial aid rules to allow teams to carry more members on scholarship to account for incoming recruits and student-athletes who had been in their last year of eligibility who decide to stay. In a nod to the financial uncertainty faced by higher education, the Council vote also provided schools with the flexibility to give students the opportunity to return for 2020-21 without requiring that athletics aid be provided at the same level awarded for 2019-20. This flexibility applies only to student-athletes who would have exhausted eligibility in 2019-20.

Schools also will have the ability to use the NCAA’s Student Assistance Fund to pay for scholarships for students who take advantage of the additional eligibility flexibility in 2020-21." https://www.ncaa.org/about/resource...ligibility-student-athletes-impacted-covid-19

This may end up being a case where the rich get richer. Well funded programs may be able to take full advantage of this option -- though I'd guess it is more likely to be the football teams that get the extra $$$.

Lucy25

Alyssa Baumann announced yesterday that she is coming back to Florida for a fifth year 😳. If everyone stays healthy, we are set to see some incredible gymnastics next season.

Reactions: Rob

Aceon6

The first sign of spring! Forget robins, the first televised meet of 2022 just popped up in my DVR to-do list. Best of Utah meet on the 7th on BYUtv. Since it’s against US and Can Nats, it’ll have to be delayed viewing for me, but wheeeee!

The most comprehensive schedule is here http://collegegymnews.com/schedule/ and it includes known streaming and TV options.

Aceon6

I’m just loving the new season. Grace McCallum got her first AA win, helping Utah out score Oklahoma. Then there was Suni Lee in Auburn vs. Arkansas. And the kicker was the nationally televised ‘Bama/Florida matchup. I’m sure a lot of us are in figure skating comas right now, but don’t delete those meets from your DVRs.

viennese

wrecked

Nobody gets a short straw.

The Big 12 or Division I teams have so much money flooding into their men's football programs, they could spread it to "small" sports, mens and womens, and throw a few scholarships toward new gymnastics scholarships.

A sport that people will watch on network TV, if they give it a chance. Olympic and World Championships stars all over the place

love skating

Clueless American
My dear UCLA bruins look to be a mess - I thought they would rebound this year but they seem to be worse! I'm thankful I don't get the Big Ten channel so I couldn't watch it today and instead just saw all the scores. I hope they can turn it around as I know this is their first comp, but I don't know. :(

Lucy25

Nobody gets a short straw.

The Big 12 or Division I teams have so much money flooding into their men's football programs, they could spread it to "small" sports, mens and womens, and throw a few scholarships toward new gymnastics scholarships.

A sport that people will watch on network TV, if they give it a chance. Olympic and World Championships stars all over the place
Haha! I have no memory of posting that last season.

One week in and I am already amazed at the gymnastics we’ve been able to witness. This season should be AMAZING! My all time fav remains LSU, but living 45 minutes from Ann Arbor, I’ll be rooting for Michigan. Really surprised at how poor UCLA looked today. Even for their first meet of the year. Triple header this Friday! Thank God for the SEC Network.

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
IMO, UCLA wasn't totally horrible (from what I could see on B1G Network...they were showing way more of Iowa and MN than the Bruins which bugged me since I don't get to see UCLA that often but see those other two teams all the time :mad: ). They lost M. Frazier to a fluky bar injury which shuffled their lineups for the rest of the meet and had to count falls on at least one of the events which killed their overall scores. This was their first meet of the year with a lot of young talent so they just looked more nervous than anything else. No where to go but up now so hopefully they build on the good things and don't lose Frazier for too long. Has anyone heard more about her injury? :(

That Alabama-Florida meet was insane the other day (as was the Auburn-Arkansas one earlier in the weekend) and I'm super stoked to get three meets in a row this coming Friday night on SEC Network! :cheer:

Lucy25

IMO, UCLA wasn't totally horrible (from what I could see on B1G Network...they were showing way more of Iowa and MN than the Bruins which bugged me since I don't get to see UCLA that often but see those other two teams all the time :mad: ). They lost M. Frazier to a fluky bar injury which shuffled their lineups for the rest of the meet and had to count falls on at least one of the events which killed their overall scores. This was their first meet of the year with a lot of young talent so they just looked more nervous than anything else. No where to go but up now so hopefully they build on the good things and don't lose Frazier for too long. Has anyone heard more about her injury? :(

That Alabama-Florida meet was insane the other day (as was the Auburn-Arkansas one earlier in the weekend) and I'm super stoked to get three meets in a row this coming Friday night on SEC Network! :cheer:
M. Frazier has posted pictures on at least Twitter. It is very swollen, but she says the x-rays are clean. Guessing she’ll be out a week or two for sure. Seems in good spirits.

viennese

wrecked
Haha! I have no memory of posting that last season.

One week in and I am already amazed at the gymnastics we’ve been able to witness. This season should be AMAZING! My all time fav remains LSU, but living 45 minutes from Ann Arbor, I’ll be rooting for Michigan. Really surprised at how poor UCLA looked today. Even for their first meet of the year. Triple header this Friday! Thank God for the SEC Network.

Go Wolverines!
(U-Michigan alum, 19-ninety-long time ago)

I wish U-M board of regents were not such a bunch of cowards.
Discussion for another forum. It's bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information